AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-02-15, 07:31   Link #101
Emil Scherbe

It's not officially confirmed though, APPARENTLY
Mushishi anime broadcasting will end at episode 20 "Fude no Umi" (The Sea of Brushes).
THE story wao and Cal-Reflector talked about.
Emil Scherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 07:45   Link #102
wao
OK.

What?! 20 episodes only?... I guess they didn't want to do it any further, but oh well... I'll go to 2ch and see if I can dig up something...

End with Fude no Umi, huh. I wonder why... they had better do the one about that colour-changing mist and the traveling group somewhere in between!

EDIT: Looks like it's true... people have looked at their tv guides and all and it says stuff like 終「筆の海」 - Final {Hide no Umi} Arrrgh.

Perhaps they'll liek, release the last 4 or 6 eps on DVD or something. I sincerely hope they do! This had better not be a case of the station canceling hte show, the original work won a prize at the Japan Media Arts festival and all!

Heh, but once again Fuji gets a lot of hate... they haven't earned very good rep with the otaku
Old 2006-02-15, 12:36   Link #103
kujoe
from head to heel

20 episodes? Wow.

Usually, I expect these things to go up to the 13th or 26th episode. Maybe there will be OVAs in the future? One can only hope.

Quote:
Heh, but once again Fuji gets a lot of hate... they haven't earned very good rep with the otaku
Do you know why exactly their rep is bad with the otaku?
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 14:42   Link #104
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
What?! 20 episodes only?... I guess they didn't want to do it any further, but oh well... I'll go to 2ch and see if I can dig up something...

End with Fude no Umi, huh. I wonder why... they had better do the one about that colour-changing mist and the traveling group somewhere in between!

EDIT: Looks like it's true... people have looked at their tv guides and all and it says stuff like 終「筆の海」 - Final {Hide no Umi} Arrrgh.

Perhaps they'll liek, release the last 4 or 6 eps on DVD or something. I sincerely hope they do! This had better not be a case of the station canceling hte show, the original work won a prize at the Japan Media Arts festival and all!

You know, my overwhelming impression that Hide no Umi is actually an excellent choice as a "final episode" to this series, where each episode is a self-contained unit, in that there's more of a sense of... conclusion.

What I mean by that is, just about every episode so far has finished with Ginko leaving the people he met, presumably never to see them again, right? with the exception of the doctor that is. In Hide no Umi, there's a promise at the end to return, a first; unlike all others he encountered and helped on his journey, Ginko makes a pledge to see Tanyuu (the character in Hide no Umi) again. To me, that makes the episode stand out from the rest and provides a sort of wrap up, implying that though his wandering continues, he now has a destination to arrive at in the future.
Cal-Reflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 20:05   Link #105
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

From what you guys said about ep. 20....

Spoiler:

But it would be nice to see more of Ginko. Oh well, I can only dream....
Old 2006-02-15, 20:27   Link #106
ultrataro

AFAIK, not exactly. I think it was said the creators didn't base this off any real myths, but created it to be like it was. Shinto believes in a kind of spirit in everything in the world. Trees, rocks everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoran
Concerning these stories, is Mushi some part of the Japanese mythes and legends ?
ultrataro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 23:09   Link #107
Snoop'

20 episodes ?
Dang, and they had all the release dates in the R2 DVD pack... (very nice box set BTW, detailed booklet with plenty of cute Renzu )
And the official site is unreachable at the moment...

Oh well, I'll save money that way, but if they release the 6 remaining episodes on DVD, I'll buy them for sure.

...wasn't that FujiTV that stopped Samurai Champloo broadcasting at ep.17, letting a satellite channel broadcasting the second season and forcing the otakus to buy the overly expensive DVDs ? (seriously : Mushishi 2ep.DVD : 4725 yen ; SC 2ep.DVD : 6090 yen)
Snoop' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 05:33   Link #108
wao
OK.

Yeah, Fuji stopped Champloo at ep 17 and then moved it to BS Fuji, they've done a lot of delays and skipped episodes and a whole plethora of things... they also censor heavily iirc (for Girls Bravo I remember al ot of people were annoyed by the incessant fog) There was a particular site with a whole summary of all the stuff they did which otaku dislike them for, but I've lost it...
Old 2006-02-16, 22:45   Link #109
Timon
The Timon

Send a message via ICQ to Timon Send a message via AIM to Timon Send a message via MSN to Timon Send a message via Yahoo to Timon
Sounds like there's a good chance of it continuing on another channel, hope so at least. This show's quality
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-17, 21:27   Link #110
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

However many episodes it ends up running, this anime is one of the best of all-time. It's a class act all the way - from the OP, to the background music, to the animation and the voice acting. It could hardly be less commercial, so it's not as though it's something one expects to be a big hit - but in terms of story and visual presentation, it's almost peerless.

I have noticed something interesting, though, and maybe someone more familiar with the mythologies Mushishi is an outgrowth of can answer. Many - nearly all, in fact - of the 12 episodes I've seen involve children very directly. Is this simply a dramatic choice, or are the Mushi somehow drawn to children the way certain people - like Ginko - draw them? Is there something in the stronger life force of children that's a natural bridge between our world and the Mushi one?
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-17, 21:34   Link #111
ultrataro

I think it has to do a lot with children's 'innocence' and being more receptive to things out of the ordinary. And they probably approach them with less fear. A lot of times you hear that animals and children are more sensitive to ghosts & spirits & that kind of thing.
ultrataro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-17, 21:48   Link #112
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrataro
I think it has to do a lot with children's 'innocence' and being more receptive to things out of the ordinary. And they probably approach them with less fear. A lot of times you hear that animals and children are more sensitive to ghosts & spirits & that kind of thing.
I did think about that... Perhaps most children are like Ginko and other Mushishis, but what makes them rare is that they never lose their connection to the Mushi (should I be capitalizing that? ) as they grow up. But of course, even most of the boys and occasional girls the stories revolve around can't actually see mushis, even as their lives are being impacted by them.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-17, 22:00   Link #113
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Let me say that Mushishi is among the best anime of 2005. I'll stop at that for now.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-18, 06:02   Link #114
Ialdaboth

Mushishi is among the best I have ever seen.

I would like to make a comment about Fuji TV decision, but I will not for fear of being vulgar.
Old 2006-02-18, 06:06   Link #115
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

That's what sad about anime. It's still a merchandise. No matter how good your anime is, whenever no one watches it, it will be cut up, destroyed, mutilated, and left to oblivion.

And those that are mostly of no value gets beloved, like DBZ. *sighs*
Old 2006-02-18, 06:30   Link #116
wao
OK.

But well, there's no need to kill Fuji yet - there's still the possibility that more episodes will be included on the DVD. If even that is not possible, though, then.... eaaah. I am going to be fairly annoyed.

Shows like Mushishi deserve the full run. Yet noooo, we have this cut and instead have overproliferation of crappy moe shows overrunning the scene.
Old 2006-02-18, 07:37   Link #117
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

And shows like Naruto don't.

I'd pick Mushishi over Naruto anyday. I don't mind not seeing crap.

It doesn't only deserve, it needs the full run.
Old 2006-02-18, 07:42   Link #118
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Don't be to harsh on Naruto. The manga arc is very good. It's the damn fillers that ruined the show... Just wait 8 weeks until the next manga arc airs. It's great ^^

I don' think you can compare these two shows anyway. Mushishi seems to be something for a more mature audience. Not that story telling is not for kids, but the general atmosphere of that show makes it that way.

But I do agree that they should continue it... Mushi Shi is something special, you don't see very often nowadays.
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-18, 08:17   Link #119
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Here is the test, wao:

Would you choose Noein over Mushishi?
Old 2006-02-18, 08:19   Link #120
evil-samurai

Well I seen alot of Great shows just end early before ep.26/ep.24 and they end nicely, I'm not really annoyed as I'm not feeling Mushishi has to get things explained with the whole story. If its not that long, it wont be to bad unless they are missing a major plot point (but still more would be Great!!!!!!) For people that have read the manga I can understand if they are really! annoyed. So far Mushishi has kicked the ass of nearly all the shows I've watch in the past 5 years years, so even if its only going to be 20 ep.s they are among the best 20 episode I've seen in a while.

I'd Say they might turn up on the Dvds, its been happing with quite of few anime as of late. What I would want to know if, it was planned from the start to only show 20 episodes on tv then release the rest on Dvd/Different? Station.
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural