AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 123 54.19%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 71 31.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 10.57%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.88%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-16, 09:16   Link #241
rooboy
Umeboshi!

This was probably my favorite episode of the series. By a mile. I was laughing so hard throughout it that I could have cried.
Old 2006-06-16, 10:21   Link #242
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I gave it a 9. It was really good, but not quite as good as the last episode.
Old 2006-06-16, 15:33   Link #243
RiXeD
excuse me wtf r u desu?

Okay, so I decided to collect a list of links to freeware\shareware DoS III-style games ^^

REAL TIME BASED:

Strange Adventures In Infinite Space
Quote:
Strange Adventures In Infinite Space may have a strange name, but it will be a concept that many gamers have seen before. By trading, exploring and attacking, you can make new friends and enemies from different planets.

The interface is clean and straightfoward, alllowing you to perform all these functions with little or no hassle. Visually and audiably appealing, your time in this new solar system won't be boring.

Although I am a little skeptical about the game's depth, I played for quite some time. It's quite fun, and I'm sure the full version has even more to offer.

Shareware
DL

Planetary Defense
Quote:
This is a space strategy game where you take charge of a planets defenses against waves of attacking aliens. you defend against missiles, multiple warhead rockets, cloaked starships, meteors, homing missiles and laser-armed satellites. Some of the 21 missions include orbiting moons with colonies, defensive shield grids, radar bases and evacuating starships.
Not quite DoS like, but seems like a good game.

Shareware
DL

GalaxyHack
Quote:
This game allows you to design a fleet of spaceships that can then be tested in AI script-based battles against fleets designed by other players. Though battles take place in real time, the strategy comes before hand, both in writing short AI scripts in a simple scripting language, and also in the setup and selection of your fleet.
Hahahahahaha! I already dled this one and created SOS-dan fleet xD Nice game, but writing AI scripts for ships can be hard for a noob.

Freeware
DL

Gravity Well
Quote:
This is a fast-paced game of interplanetary war. The game represents a simple interstellar economy that supports the discovery and conquest of new worlds. The player's role is to scout new planets and establish landing sites for the colonization ships that follow. Once a landing site is established, freighters will be dispatched to begin construction of a base and colony complex.

Beware though -- you are not alone. There are others with the same designs on this sector of space. Be prepared to fight for every stinking dirt ball.

You can play this game alone or on the network between up to four players. An Internet server helps players locate other players.

Shareware
DL

Stellar Frontier
Quote:
Stellar Frontier is a massively multi-player\Single player game that plays like an arcade game. You are in command of a single starship for a chosen civilization either offline for fun, or online on servers that act as other players' star systems. You advance in rank as you gain experience. This allows you to fly different ships, try out different weapons and command AI-powered ships.
I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS ONE! Maybe it`s not much like DoS, but it is just G-R-E-A-T!

Shareware (ARGH!!! WHY?!)
DL

TURN BASED:

Critical Mass
Quote:
While this game doesn't have spectacular graphics, it is an a lot of fun moving your armada of ships through space. Enemies come from nowhere, and you have to carefully plot your missile strikes. Otherwise, you might just end up hitting your own allies!
My opinion:
Great turn based strategy, with an option to make your own ships (2D models), customize them, make your own missions and it has moderate difficulty level (you don`t need to be a war veteran to win, but you can`t just charge at enemy lol). 5\6 IMO.

Shareware (Whyyyyyy?!)
DL

Solar Wars
Quote:
Solar Wars is a turn-based space strategy game with up to thirty orbiting planets. Starting with your home world, build up your ships and strategy. Scout out nearby worlds, send fleets of ships to attack or send annihilation bombs. Destroy opponents by setting hidden proximity bombs or pulse bombs. Play in single-player mode, with computer opponents, or in multi-player mode over the Internet. See how fast you can eliminate your opponents and dominate the entire solar system!

Freeware
DL

SPACE GENERAL World War IV
Quote:
This space turn-based strategy game represents World War 4 conflict on tactical level.

Game contains missions, death-match and free hunt scenarios and campaigns with various unit production potential and technology level.

The user-friendly game engine allows more than 60 unit types, including planet battleships, galaxy cruisers, death-stars, stealth units, star destroyers, air-space interceptors, explorers, planet artillery and radars.

Freeware
DL

Starships Unlimited
Quote:
A turn-based strategy game of star empires and starships. Build starships and explore the stars. Find ancient alien artifacts. Meet alien races and trade with them, ally with them or fight them. Build up your worlds and defend them against other alien civilizations. Be the first to conquer the galaxy!

DEMO:
DL

I`m sure that there are more games, so feel free to post your own links ^^

EDIT: Argh, if only Freespace2 engine could handle more units per map... >_<

Last edited by RiXeD; 2006-06-16 at 18:29.
Old 2006-06-16, 23:59   Link #244
Calca
Expressionless

I just realized something.

Kyon is the only one Nagato listens to and actually asks permission to do things. She doesn't listen to Haruhi really as can be seen in episode 9 but does listen to anything Kyon will say.

Perhaps there is more to Kyon than meets the eye.
Old 2006-06-17, 00:03   Link #245
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetor

Kyon is the only one Nagato listens to and actually asks permission to do things. She doesn't listen to Haruhi really as can be seen in episode 9 but does listen to anything Kyon will say.

Kyon is also the only person who treats Nagato as a person and not furniture. So what's so strange about Yuki treating Kyon better than others?

There is no reason for Yuki to follow Haruhi's orders. Haruhi is Izumi's god, not hers. Yuki is only here to observe.
Old 2006-06-17, 00:21   Link #246
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

To Yuki and her "people", Suzumiya is an anomoly of that organic attempt at sentience, able to generate massive changes in the datafield. They hope observation of her may illuminate their path forward evolutionarily speaking.
Old 2006-06-17, 00:36   Link #247
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
To Yuki and her "people", Suzumiya is an anomoly of that organic attempt at sentience, able to generate massive changes in the datafield. They hope observation of her may illuminate their path forward evolutionarily speaking.
That's what her "people" want. That doesn't mean that's what YUKI wants.

She is only three years old. Further, Yuki's own development has hardly reached a deadend. Unlike her masters, Yuki doesn't yet need data from Haruhi to evolve.

One most separate the desires and needs of Yuki from the desires and needs of the entire DataEntity society. They are NOT the Borg.
Old 2006-06-17, 00:36   Link #248
Anime Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetor

My theory is that Yuki listens to Kyon because he's the only normal human being in SoS-dan. Since Yuki is an alien, she would not have a good grasp of the intricacies of human interaction. Hence she does what Kyon tells her, so she would remain inconspicious in the background and continue to observe Haruhi.

For example, in the baseball episode, when the SoS-baseball-team starts to pull an incredible winning streak due to Yuki's enchanted bat, Kyon got worried it started to look too suspicious and asked Yuki to turn off the homing mode, which she did.

And in the mysterious island episode, Yuki took Haruhi's order not to open the door too literally and refused to open the door. It was up to Kyon then to convince Yuki to open the door by overriding Haruhi's order.

Perhaps in this way, we can see that Yuki not so much listen to Kyon, but trust in his judgement of the situation.
Old 2006-06-17, 00:55   Link #249
howzitboy

another great episode and another 10 in my book. after reading these boards, think i have to go rewatch it again lol.
cant wait till next week...
Old 2006-06-17, 01:27   Link #250
Truth-kun
Do the Penguin Dance!

Send a message via Yahoo to Truth-kun
Next week is a good week for Haruhi fans.

I agree with Anime Online that Kyon is the most trustworthy person/alien/god/esper in Yuki's eyes, more than any of her comrades. She'll probably protect him from other aliens that tries to kill him (see Asakura).
Old 2006-06-17, 01:59   Link #251
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan
anyway, anyone actually played games with macro? The only one that I've ever bothered w. is Lineage II the Korean MMORPG and that was a while ago.
Netrek uses them. In fact, the whole game and the way they went about playing it reminded me rather a lot of Netrek, once you get past the obvious differences (fleets vs. single ships, and so forth).
Old 2006-06-17, 02:07   Link #252
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Holy Macross 7 homage at the end of episode 12 preview
"Atashi no uta o kike!" absolutely sealed the deal for me for this being a 10. (So Haruhi and Kyon are Fire Bomber fans? Cool....)
Old 2006-06-17, 04:37   Link #253
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Then again, every single member goes to Kyon for advice and whatnot... even Mikuru wants him there for several mission-critical objectives. Koizumi does more or less confide in him quite a bit about the state of being which... if told to the others might not work so well to his interest.

Kyon is person on the most solid footing comparing to any one of them. Furthermore, he cares genuinely and at times will call it when things are going too far regardless of who the individual is. It isn't just to how critical he is as an element to all of their mission but the fact that his solid footing means that he can steer far better than anyone else in the storm.

The other element though... it is clear that all of them like him. That I won't really comment.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-06-17, 07:37   Link #254
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online
My theory is that Yuki listens to Kyon because he's the only normal human being in SoS-dan. Since Yuki is an alien, she would not have a good grasp of the intricacies of human interaction. Hence she does what Kyon tells her, so she would remain inconspicious in the background and continue to observe Haruhi.

For example, in the baseball episode, when the SoS-baseball-team starts to pull an incredible winning streak due to Yuki's enchanted bat, Kyon got worried it started to look too suspicious and asked Yuki to turn off the homing mode, which she did.

And in the mysterious island episode, Yuki took Haruhi's order not to open the door too literally and refused to open the door. It was up to Kyon then to convince Yuki to open the door by overriding Haruhi's order.

Perhaps in this way, we can see that Yuki not so much listen to Kyon, but trust in his judgement of the situation.
It's really not that complicated lol

There's some hints that Yuki has developed feelings for Kyon. It started after Kyon brought her to the library, then Kyon told her that she's cuter without specs, it strengthed those feelings. Yuki mentioned on Haruhi's website that she likes the library, in the novels too.

She's listening to Kyon because of a simple reason, she doesn't want to upset him lol
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-06-17, 08:45   Link #255
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****

Great episode with tributes and spoofs of Battleship Yamato and Macross. Brings back feeling of nostalgia, when I used to watched those shows during the 1970s(Yamato) and 1980s(Macross).
Old 2006-06-17, 09:01   Link #256
Ardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online
My theory is that Yuki listens to Kyon because he's the only normal human being in SoS-dan. Since Yuki is an alien, she would not have a good grasp of the intricacies of human interaction.
His situation reminds me of Golan Trevize from the last couple (in story-timeline) Foundation books -
Spoiler for Trevize:
Old 2006-06-17, 09:58   Link #257
Truth-kun
Do the Penguin Dance!

C.A.'s explaination might be the correct one.

Just wait and see what Yuki tells Kyon on the climax of the anime.
Old 2006-06-17, 10:02   Link #258
Lost

Quote:

There's some hints that Yuki has developed feelings for Kyon. It started after Kyon brought her to the library, then Kyon told her that she's cuter without specs, it strengthed those feelings. Yuki mentioned on Haruhi's website that she likes the library, in the novels too.

She's listening to Kyon because of a simple reason, she doesn't want to upset him lol
Its probable that this has been discussed before, but how much feeling/emotion do you think Yuki is capable of? eg. romance, joy etc. Would that be the whole spectrum? Or is she just like a robot that follows explicit commands of a specific character without expression?

IMO, I think the fact that she doesnt show emotions doesnt mean she doesn't have them. So I would say that yeah, she is capable of love. But still, a human interface device.. hmmm.. What do you guys think?

Another point, I was watching Ep 11 again and I think another reason (more so than trust, imo) why Haruhi follows Kyon, is that he acknowledges her as head, "king" and that makes her happy, more willing to "share." Pretty human, really.
Old 2006-06-17, 10:04   Link #259
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:

Well, since she's pretty much "uninitiated" as to how humans handle such matters, Yuki's treatment of Kyon somehow reminds me of a child, timid and loyal. After all, she doesn't know how to handle such matters, but she doesn't want to disappoint him.

Also, the differences in Yuki's behavior in Someday in the Rain reinforces the fact that Yuki has something for Kyon. Again her behavior is really cute in that part, acting like a high school girl with a crush but is too embarrassed (or confused? lol) to show it.

...<3!

*suddenly joins the Nagato fanclub*
Old 2006-06-17, 10:05   Link #260
Truth-kun
Do the Penguin Dance!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves on this one, because this topic is surely to be answered on the following episodes (Finale I think).

I agree with you that Yuki is capable of emotions (since Asakura is also capable IMO), but has little interface to show it. As Kyon said in Ep7, she might be getting lonely too, which I think she does.

(Also joins the Nagato Yuki fanclub. Yuki-ism anyone?)
Closed Thread