Notices

Old 2011-10-19, 03:30   Link #381
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
You think so? AFAIK Lavie is overshadowed by a lot of characters. Tatiana for instance seems to be more prominent than her more often than not.

Anyway, overall I think the role of the protagonist's co-pilot is just a crappy role. I think the director/writters purposely push this character into the background fairly quickly in favor of other characters for some reason. At least that was what happened with Lavie IMO.
Yes I do. The anime developed their relationship perfectly well, even if it wasn't at the forefront. Not the most exciting thing, but it was still notable.

My point is that peripheral characters can still be just as interesting as the core characters and it's especially important if they appear a lot.

It's too early to say anything for this season though.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 03:39   Link #382
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Yes I do. The anime developed their relationship perfectly well.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I think their relationship could have been handled a lot better. I definitely wouldn't use "perfectly well" to describe it.
Old 2011-10-19, 04:02   Link #383
Blaat

I'm disappointed by the first episode. It had too much Otaku pandering: there is no gender balance amongst the main cast, plenty of fanservice shots and yuri undertones. None of these is what I associate with Last Exile.
Old 2011-10-19, 04:12   Link #384
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Are any of the characters from the first season in this one? like the main pairing or do they even get mention.
And no i havent read the other posts.......i find it very hard to pick out info from so many posts......especially when i cant even remember anyones name in the anime
Old 2011-10-19, 04:26   Link #385
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I'm disappointed by the first episode. It had too much Otaku pandering: there is no gender balance amongst the main cast, plenty of fanservice shots and yuri undertones. None of these is what I associate with Last Exile.
Is gender inbalance amongst the main cast a form of pandering? lol, that really depends and what they plan to use them for or else characters that behave their role are nothing more than characters on screen. As for yuri undertone I didn't see any clear example are people with yuri goggles on seeing more than what I can see, lol.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 04:45   Link #386
ZODDGUTS

Yeah it's bit worrying if the series will be a bit Otaku pandering since the first series didn't really have any of that maybe besides Alvis. Hope they won't go that route. The "Onee-sama" character will irritate the hell out of me. I hate her archetype, yeah I know she'll eventually grow but man she'll annoy me throughout the series before than.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 05:04   Link #387
EadTaes
The Northern Guy

Send a message via AIM to EadTaes Send a message via MSN to EadTaes
The fact that Dio is still around and young, at least he looks very much to be near the age he was in the original. Also Sophia wasn't unknown to the princess when Dio mentioned her can make one believe she is still alive and well known. In the end of the first series she had pledged on Alex's grave she would always be his first officer and seemed like she would continue to command the Silvana. If so I dunno how the Silvana would not get involved int his conflict or isn't already involved.

Time to go find scanlations.
Old 2011-10-19, 05:53   Link #388
Thousand Mistress
Glory to the Wind!

Send a message via Yahoo to Thousand Mistress
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty543 View Post
Are any of the characters from the first season in this one? like the main pairing or do they even get mention.
And no i havent read the other posts.......i find it very hard to pick out info from so many posts......especially when i cant even remember anyones name in the anime
Dio.

I never actually liked the main characters from the first season entirely. No offense to Lavie and Claus fans here, but I only loved the first season because of the story.

Now, off to the first episode. After watching it, nostalgia really came to me, it was 8 years since I last watched LE. And yes I do miss the series itself. This time, the reason I love Ginyoku no Fam is because there are new characters, the story looks awesome, and I love Fam and Giselle. Extravagant and strategic duo. Dio on the other hand, is already 18 in this series since GnF takes place 2 years after the first.

Plus, Dio is back. Why else am I following this series? XD
Old 2011-10-19, 06:35   Link #389
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
The first series had plenty of fanservice shots and yuri undertones (Tatiana/Alister). There was also a harem toward the end...
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 08:31   Link #390
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

The OP does hint that several characters from the original series will be returning eventually, so I'm not that worried about it.

I like how they kept the chess-themed titles and the title card tune. Little things like that actually made me very giddy.

As for the gender balance, I get the feeling that we still haven't really been properly introduced to a lot of the supporting male characters, such as Giselle's father or the other vespa pilots. In the first series, most of the male characters were minor supporting characters that we didn't meet until much later, like the mechanics or Mullin Shetland.

Things will be a lot better once Vincent returns, just you wait. Well, at least I keep telling myself that.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 10:15   Link #391
Asleep

I am so happy to be able to watch this show weekly, but 1 week seems rather long now!

The fan-service didn't really bother me. I loved the visuals and the score very much. I missed the world so much! Fam and Giselle are both likable characters and what lovely voice acting from both their respective voice actors. And Dio! I hope he plays a bigger part this season. I agree with Thousand Mistress, I love his character, so I hope they use him properly! He was my favourite, and I am glad to see he him back!

Any idea when the soundtrack releases?
Asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 11:16   Link #392
klare

wow a nice eps 1, if every eps has this much action then it will be great, the animations are better than the old series, the OP and ED are good too (tho the old ED still better)

however, i noticed it is quite illogic for a small group of pirates to influence the battle between flying ships army...
Old 2011-10-19, 13:08   Link #393
Dop
Mmmm....

OK, Somehow I never got around to watching the original, so I have no level to set this against or background knowledge.

While the whole 'Fam stripping to her undies and sleepwalking off the airship' was a trifle unnecessary, I thought (and as Mirrinus said, why didn't they use a shorter rope?), but the rest was OK.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 13:13   Link #394
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
Is gender inbalance amongst the main cast a form of pandering? lol, that really depends and what they plan to use them for or else characters that behave their role are nothing more than characters on screen. As for yuri undertone I didn't see any clear example are people with yuri goggles on seeing more than what I can see, lol.
Fam's words as she opened up the hatch for her jump could be an example if you had those goggles on.
Old 2011-10-19, 14:34   Link #395
Xion Valkyrie

Nobody ever cries gender imbalance when the entire main cast is male with 1 single female...
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 14:35   Link #396
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Nobody ever cries gender imbalance when the entire main cast is male with 1 single female...
Yes, they do. In fact, the first thought is that it's a BL title. Just look at the Kimi to Boku thread.
Old 2011-10-19, 14:44   Link #397
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Yes, they do. In fact, the first thought is that it's a BL title. Just look at the Kimi to Boku thread.
That has nothing to do with gender equality and everything to do with effeminate "boys" who brush each other's hair.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 14:57   Link #398
ookamigirl

First episode was pretty interesting. Lots of action.
They started the war pretty quick.
Will be watching it.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 15:02   Link #399
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
That has nothing to do with gender equality and everything to do with effeminate "boys" who brush each other's hair.
Only 1 boy was getting his hair brushed.

It was a virtually all-male cast that started the BL questions that keep happening still. So imo, the gender imbalance was a factor.
Old 2011-10-19, 15:15   Link #400
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
It was a virtually all-male cast that started the BL questions that keep happening still. So imo, the gender imbalance was a factor.
OT: Orion is right. The first BL comment predated the series debut or any hair-brushing comments.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, science fiction