AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-11, 01:25   Link #1441
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Saw the recent episode and shouted "YAY!" when it ended.

Now that Vincent appears and the ship starts repair, the dream of going to see Anatoray seems dim. Also Fam finally got hit on the head and woke up. Took her a while. But what I cannot understand is why Giselle suddenly felt sorry.

But anyway now that the trio are back together, and with a few girl's love hints during the hockey game, seems like the logical destination is negotiate with Glacies, Ades next target.

Oh and BTW... Twin-tail loli Fam? I'm having a nosebleed here!

Oh and is Fam's birthday December 9 or is it 10? Shame the show didn't air on December 8: we could have had the same birthdate.... LOLZ.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 01:42   Link #1442
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Fam as a kid is cute....

She's right when she says her name is like a pet's
Old 2011-12-11, 02:08   Link #1443
DangerMouse

Yeah and I love that Fam was the one who joked like that about her name.

Guido: Yeah episode 8 was so godly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
I know it's ready been discussed to death, but seeing Gisey submit to Fam so easily makes her seem like such a weak character. Or maybe she just really likes Fam. Whatever, she's gonna feel like such a background character from now on, just sort of there in Fam's shaodw, figutively and literally!

Seeing Vincent was pretty sweet, need more Cameo's!
She didn't really submit to Fam at all she realized it was all in her head (Fam has even been regularly saying out loud that she needs her, that Gisey's saved them both on numerous occasions, etc.) and that what she was thinking wasn't even remotely true and realized what she was doing, and no doubt Fam's outburst of needing her and that Millia couldn't replace her and Millia's recognition of her all helped break through her imaginary fears (I think the brilliant little subtle bit of animation with her momentarily stunned look where she points at herself with her mouth slightly open when she realizes that Millia was making something for her too and not just Fam brought it home), she's not really weak or more accurately she's not weak but is instead light on self-confidence (which was pretty obvious looking back on how she's been the reserved one of the pair and even needed to be coaxed into digging into the Silvius spy photo despite being awesome at that stuff and then really getting into it once she got started) and highly composed. I seriously doubt this going to lessen her in any way, in fact she actually made further friends with Millia now so it's even more likely the three of them will be on even more even footing than ever rather than Gisey suddenly being a background character, and to drive that home they even had the final pass in the hockey game be between Fam and Gisey, she's always been the supportive sister to Fam since the very beginning, they have had the same dream since they were kids and Gisey wants to accomplish their shared dream by supporting Fam and doing it together and Fam with the Gisey at her side.

Vincent I'm hoping that since he's in the OP like Tatiana, Alister, and Dio that he'll be a relative regular (even if not quite to their extent since they're Silvius crew, I imagine he's also here with a new mission or maybe we'll see if he stays on the ship for a bit or not, he might accompany them to Glacies in the next arc since he's been negotiating with them).

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-12-11 at 02:36.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 02:09   Link #1444
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
I know it's ready been discussed to death, but seeing Gisey submit to Fam so easily makes her seem like such a weak character. Or maybe she just really likes Fam. Whatever, she's gonna feel like such a background character from now on, just sort of there in Fam's shaodw, figutively and literally!

Seeing Vincent was pretty sweet, need more Cameo's!
yes it has ^^,

Although the role of navi has been regulated as side characters so often I would believe it is the norm in the world of LE, with that said she has always felt like a background character to me. However Lavie's characters was more vibirant at the beginning and slowly dwindle as a motherly figure to Alvis, Gisey was never important even if you stuck her between the the two main character its all an illusion.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 02:26   Link #1445
DangerMouse

Personally I've liked her since the beginning and she's saved the day like a main character on numerous occasions.

Oh yeah, it's so awesome Dio's got a real position on the ship and is in charge of the vanships, absolutely loved that and where he talks about how he's done messing around now and has his place here, felt so good! I also really liked that they made Dio come off even better as they accounted for why he was mysteriously absent during last episode's attack where they were under heavy attack but he didn't launch with the others being because he wasn't on the ship. The mood of that little conversation was great and had a nice tone shift just like the show has been quite serious (outside of needed breaks like the hockey game) where Dio kinda makes a joke then realizes he feels like he should have been there to help when Alister says they wish he could have returned sooner.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-12-11 at 02:54.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 03:00   Link #1446
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
creb & Julio C: Good point Julio and as for the repair part of the equation another possible guess is that having a real Guild engineer in Dagobert (or Dio's knowledge) could also make the difference on necessary time to atleast patch it up over how long it could have taken Ades, currently there is even more evidence to suggest that Ades has no real affiliation with the Guild as evidenced by their level of tech, ship designs, and until recently their underestimation of fighter wing tactics (outside of perhaps Luscinia and Alauda ofcourse).

It might come off more trivial and less "showy" but it makes perfect sense that Millia could blame herself for the somewhat falling out between Gisey and Fam if she recognized and figured out what was happening like the audience has (we've even discussed this pretty regularly) especially if she cares about Fam and Gisey being together (obviously usually this doesn't occur because the third party is possessive, an a-hole, or it's a romance drama where they're "competing" over the other person, etc. so we rarely see a non-dramatic resolution let alone help from the third person), she is the cause and if she realized it it's easy to see why she might feel a little guilty towards Gisey in taking Fam a bit away from her or effecting their friendship or making Gisey feel like that was happening if she cares about Gisey as well as Fam, it was obvious to all of us that Fam was giving her a lot of extra attention when she needed it coming out of losing everything she knew, but from Fam's point of view that doesn't mean she cares about Gisey any less (she even says she's needed Gisey regularly) Gisey worried about that on her own, and Millia tries to take some responsibility by connecting a bit with Gisey which is especially good if it gets the three of them on the same page. This isn't something that hasn't been done before, they could have even had Millia angst about causing the rift between friends as has been done before in other shows and as would likely happen in a lot of shows for the extra melodrama.

Agreed that's how I'm feeling about it as well. I expected full on drama/melodrama because that's the usual "recipe" however realizing that it it wasn't supposed to be some heavily stylized dramatic "life changing moment" it's hard to describe but I kind of ended up finding this rather interesting and refreshing and just as "real" (this isn't the first time this method has been done either) against the "big character dramatics" and kind of liked what you two described as a nice change of pace rather than the usual "every important character discovery has to occur via an end-of-the-world discussion where every conversation either means "friends/lovers forever" or "I now hate your guts and wish to kill you" (particularly angst over misconceptions, so I thought it was nice that Millia, the cause, was one to realize it for a change as usually the newcomer is oblivious/doesn't care).

Also now that I've watched the ep, something those who wanted this to be Fam's fault or big drama seem to be overlooking that it is indeed all in Gisey's head and Fam did exactly what we wanted, she point-blank told her that Millia could not replace her as at the first moment Gisey starts talking "nonsense" about how Millia should just take her place and feeling not needed, the first words out of Fam's mouth are screams that she needs Gisey and can't fly alone (i.e. without Gisey), she considers flying without Gisey flying alone, and that Gisey's amazing. Honestly speaking Fam did exactly what people wanted, she forcefully said straight to Gisey's face in a highly emotional fashion that she needed her and that she's an amazing navi when Gisey was talking like Millia could replace her, Fam does not feel this way at all. Fam and Dio's conversation I thought was important as well, even if it was short it was to the point, as was Giselle and Millia's where Giselle realizes things and she realizes that Millia was trying to make Kartoffel food for both of them (notice the moment where Gisey almost shockingly points at herself realizing that Millia was making them for her too). And Fam spends most of the ep worrying about Gisey.
Heh my thoughts exactly. I don't think you can call Fam an uncaring and unaware person because almost the entire episode had her as a complete 180 of her usual self. A brooding and rather depressed Fam went through the entire ship looking for Giselle, and it's not like she did it for her own selfish reasons, but she herself did realize her own faults and shortcomings as a pilot, as a friend and as a sister.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 07:22   Link #1447
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Dio saying he'll never know whether his feelings reached Luciola and were reciprocated broke my heart ;_;
He loved you, Dio! He loved you!

I'm fine with Gisey's decision, and while wish they had a heartfelt talk (which was Alister's advice to Gisey), I think it's actually more meaningful that they didn't need words to understand one another in the end. The cute flashbacks reinforced that impression. It's a shame there wasn't more to Gisey's character, but Yuuki Aoi did warn us that Gisey is basically a third wheel, albeit a good one.
Old 2011-12-11, 12:01   Link #1448
Dernhelm
High on Jin

Dio is--surprise,surprise--captain of the (fighter) vanship squadron. very interesting, i'm actually quite eager to see more of how the relationship (ship captain to squadron captain, past to present) between him and Tatiana (and by extension, Alister) has developed.

"Bass has mysterious powers over women folk." - Bono, U2

Shunsuke Nakamura makes goalkeepers FLY and land HARD.
Dernhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 13:08   Link #1449
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Now that the Giselle thing has been beaten to death, any comments on Dio not freaking out over Fam taking Luciola's seat?
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 13:20   Link #1450
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Now that the Giselle thing has been beaten to death, any comments on Dio not freaking out over Fam taking Luciola's seat?
Dio has the "seat/look but do not touch" rule applied.
Saint X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 13:31   Link #1451
azarhal

I think people missed the part where Gisey literately told Fam that she didn't know how she felt with a single snappy remark. Which caused Fam to be all depressed for most of the episode. Although, the "make up" part was kind of rushed. It had a lot of internal monologue, but no verbal communication between the girls. I guess it went for style over explanations.

Also, I'm wondering if other members of the Silvius, beside Fam/Gisey, come from other nations on Earth. Tatiana seems to know quite a lot about different nations, like Glacies, despite Anatoray having no direct contact with them yet. And the mechanics seems to like Turan's princess quite a bit (and know her nickname) for people who came on Earth less than 2 years ago.

And now I wonder if Vincent is Tatiana's Captain in the Travelers of the Hourglass manga.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 13:44   Link #1452
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
I think people missed the part where Gisey literately told Fam that she didn't know how she felt with a single snappy remark. Which caused Fam to be all depressed for most of the episode. Although, the "make up" part was kind of rushed. It had a lot of internal monologue, but no verbal communication between the girls. I guess it went for style over explanations.

Also, I'm wondering if other members of the Silvius, beside Fam/Gisey, come from other nations on Earth. Tatiana seems to know quite a lot about different nations, like Glacies, despite Anatoray having no direct contact with them yet. And the mechanics seems to like Turan's princess quite a bit (and know her nickname) for people who came on Earth less than 2 years ago.

And now I wonder if Vincent is Tatiana's Captain in the Travelers of the Hourglass manga.
They've been doing reconnisance for two years, before they finally decided to send Vincent for talks. I don't think it's surprising at all how much they know about the nations of Earth. It seems obvious that Anatory arrived and realized things weren't peachy, thus doing all the covert action they have done makes perfect sense; which includes gathering tons of info.

Of course the crew is going to love Milia. It doesn't have to make sense. Just like it makes no real sense that Fam would throw away all her friends and 'family' to go restore the kingdom of a girl she's only just met. We wouldn't have the story otherwise. I know, I know, the excuse is Fam can't not help people, but that's a flimsy cover for allowing the story to progress the way it has. I mean, if that statement was taken as real truth, one could ask why Fam isn't helping Ades then, or the people who were displaced from their homes by Turan. ie: The statement actually says nothing for why this particular girl and her kingdom has received Fam's laser-focused attention. It doesn't need to, because it's ultimately just a story. You're supposed to just go with it.

TL;DR: I think you're overthinking things.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 14:20   Link #1453
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Fam is building her own harem...
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 15:49   Link #1454
miketyson

Yeah, in general anime draws all the leads to be fairly attractive, but in reality Milia-the-princess is probably several levels of "pretty" above anyone else on board, plus she is a *princess* in a society that has royalty.

What does bother me with that interpretation is that it partially undermines Milia's surprise at how far Fam is willing to go to help out: so many people pamper/try-to-help Milia out that it's a bit weird for her to be *surprised* at Fam + Giselle's help. She can still be grateful, but the fact she's so surprised just seems a little "off" vis-a-vis the world-building Gonzo's been doing.

I'd like to think that Vincent's arrival heralds the start of the "real plot" but I've been fooled by this show a few times already. I'm not complaining per-se -- this has been an enjoyable adventure so far and I'm loving the Last Exile world, but compared to the first season the eventual "real plot" has seemed further away for longer.

Last edited by miketyson; 2011-12-11 at 15:49. Reason: added missing verb
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 17:22   Link #1455
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post

I think most of the crew members are from Anatoray if not all of them, but the fact that some of the members knew who Milla was and was well received raises some questions. Also the fact that the existence of Anatoray has to be kept in secret will make it harder to find trustworthy crew members from other nations.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 19:08   Link #1456
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

I really did try to like this episode but, alas, could find no redeeming qualities at all (well, perhaps one...seeing the backstory for Giselle and Fam). I find it difficult to believe that Millia is suddenly a prodigy in pretty much everything, I REALLY had a hard time with the convenient wrap up at the end and had a harder time with Fam being so blasted clueless. Nearly drove me insane. I should have known better, however; Claus was pretty much the same way with Lavie (though I loved Last Exile, the whole Claus/Tatiana dynamic made me ground my teeth sometimes). Hopefully, the next few episodes get better. My inner geek loves Giselle but I surely do not want her to become a doormat for Fam.
Old 2011-12-11, 19:10   Link #1457
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
I think most of the crew members are from Anatoray if not all of them, but the fact that some of the members knew who Milla was and was well received raises some questions. Also the fact that the existence of Anatoray has to be kept in secret will make it harder to find trustworthy crew members from other nations.
Anatoray and Turan has an alliance remember? Seems like Turan was Anatoray's first best friend.
Old 2011-12-11, 19:45   Link #1458
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli View Post
I find it difficult to believe that Millia is suddenly a prodigy in pretty much everything
She fail at cooking...
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 20:47   Link #1459
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Yeah, in general anime draws all the leads to be fairly attractive, but in reality Milia-the-princess is probably several levels of "pretty" above anyone else on board, plus she is a *princess* in a society that has royalty.
Add to the likely contribution of Guild genes somewhere in the Turanian family tree, and yeah, Milia is probably very attractive, compared to the homely 'pretty' that Fam and Gisey likely are.

Kieli: Milia pretty much messed up cooking potato bread, so no, she's not an instant expert. And I think it's agreed that her shot last episode was beginner's luck and no way a show of actual skill.
Old 2011-12-11, 21:05   Link #1460
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Add to the likely contribution of Guild genes somewhere in the Turanian family tree, and yeah, Milia is probably very attractive, compared to the homely 'pretty' that Fam and Gisey likely are.
LOLZ.... If you can call her "homely" now, how much more if she kept her twin-tails hairstyle from when she was a kid. She looks more like a girl, and cuter too, back then than she is now, she looks and acts like "one of the guys".

Tags
adventure, science fiction