AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-04-26, 01:59   Link #121
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

We have one and a half months to go before the official reveal, and yet we still haven't dispelled the always online rumours.

I am starting to believe MS IS prepared to do thing unthinkable. The same way Sony demanded $600 for PS3. They are about to overstep their bounds thinking they can do no wrong.
Old 2013-04-26, 02:06   Link #122
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Now now VCV, didn't you hear? Its "Not as Draconian" !

...whatever the hell that's supposed to mean... >_>
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 02:08   Link #123
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Now now VCV, didn't you hear? Its "Not as Draconian" !

...whatever the hell that's supposed to mean... >_>
"Draconian" came from Draco, a guy who sentence his own son to death because that's what the laws demanded. Being cold and merciless.

So "Not as Draconian" means Microsoft won't kill you. But everything else is fair game.
Old 2013-04-26, 02:19   Link #124
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
"Draconian" came from Draco, a guy who sentence his own son to death because that's what the laws demanded. Being cold and merciless.

So "Not as Draconian" means Microsoft won't kill you. But everything else is fair game.
Lol nono I know what the word means what I would like to know is how less draconian can always online be- because the word "always" seem pretty definitive to me...
Old 2013-04-26, 02:24   Link #125
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Lol nono I know what the word means what I would like to know is how less draconian can always online be- because the word "always" seem pretty definitive to me...
I am just trying to exaggerate.

Essentially "not as Draconian" is telling us nothing. Because the sentence implying there would be "some" Draconian elements. So it is the difference between being beaten to death and almost being beaten to death.

I would have been happier if the leak said that "It is always online, but there is a good reason that you would be overjoyed to hear!". Saying "it isn't that horrible" is not reassuring at all.
Old 2013-04-26, 03:24   Link #126
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
Here's one thing: the ps3 and xbox360 controllers are pretty much identical in terms of control input, but if the rumors about the 720's controller is true then that similarity ends with the next gen.

The PS4 controller now has that touchpad, and the select and start buttons are replaced by the share and options. The 720 controller on the other hand is said to be almost identical to the 360's, and kinect will be included by default.

So the control schemes of the two systems have diverged from the almost identical setups of our current gen. This means devs will have to create two different control schemes for multi-plat games.
The basic setup is still the same since... umm SNES days? You still got your dpad, 2 thumbstick, 4 buttons and 4 triggers. I think the rest is just icing on the cake for developer to utilize.

Quote:
I am just trying to exaggerate.

Essentially "not as Draconian" is telling us nothing. Because the sentence implying there would be "some" Draconian elements. So it is the difference between being beaten to death and almost being beaten to death.

I would have been happier if the leak said that "It is always online, but there is a good reason that you would be overjoyed to hear!". Saying "it isn't that horrible" is not reassuring at all.
Normally i don't agree with VCV much but this one i do. The term is to unspecific to make any sense of it. I think we ll just have to wait for that reveal before we can judge whether it's online functionality is going to be a problem for consumer or not.
Old 2013-04-26, 07:36   Link #127
GDB

Quote:
I think they earnestly believe that because XBox as "won" the current gen console wars that they can get away with nearly anything and diehard xbox fans will buy their new console anyway...... which they might. MIGHT.
Wait, what? When did they win? I haven't seen anything that really showed them winning since like, half way through the generation (basically when the Wii stopped getting much third party support, and the 360 and PS3 started getting real games, but before the PS3 became affordable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
The basic setup is still the same since... umm SNES days? You still got your dpad, 2 thumbstick, 4 buttons and 4 triggers. I think the rest is just icing on the cake for developer to utilize.
That's the PS1 controller. The SNES was just an NES controller with an X and Y button.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 11:14   Link #128
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Rumor: The Next Xbox Will Retool Achievements

Quote:
Developers can reportedly add new Achievements on the fly.

EDIT:

Rumor: Next Xbox has video sharing, publisher-decided always-on, broader achievements, and new friends system

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-04-26 at 11:38.
Old 2013-04-26, 13:16   Link #129
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
That's the PS1 controller. The SNES was just an NES controller with an X and Y button.
Not to mention the original playstation controller didn't even have thumbsticks.

And the PS1 controller, N64, and Saturn for instance all had greatly varying controller inputs. PS2 and original xbox were getting pretty similar, and then became pretty much exactly the same with Ps3 and Xbox 360. And now they've diverged again.

EDIT: Oh and the SNES controller had an L and R shoulder buttons as well, to be correct.

As for always-online, looks like you might still need it on constantly for the non-gaming apps, whatever those are.

Changing achievements sounds a lot like stuff in MMOs like guild wars 2 with daily and monthly achievements. Now if those achievements actually gave rewards like GW2's, that'd be a different story.

Quote:
The issue is that multi-plays will just ignore Kinect anyway for the most part as the PS4 will have no such thing nor does the Wii-U.
Anything in a game that requires kinect input might be changed to require touchpad input on a ps4 on multi-plat games. Either way, I don't like mixing my gaming with exercising.

Last edited by Newprimus; 2013-04-26 at 13:28.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 13:39   Link #130
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Very FEW 360 games gave awards for unlocking achievements.
I believe you could unlock cool gamer pictures for completing GeOW on Insane Mode.
Old 2013-04-26, 13:42   Link #131
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Does anyone actually give a flying fuck about achievements? They're like gold stars for breathing anymore and everything from Steam to Zynga swims in them.

(Ones that actually UNLOCK some feature have purpose at least)
Old 2013-04-26, 13:45   Link #132
GDB

Video sharing... always on... built-in kinect...

Where's the "suggestive wink" smiley?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 13:52   Link #133
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Does anyone actually give a flying fuck about achievements? They're like gold stars for breathing anymore and everything from Steam to Zynga swims in them.

(Ones that actually UNLOCK some feature have purpose at least)
I am still annoyed at the recent re-release of FF7. When Aerith was being buried in the lake, the sombre moment was ruined by the pop-up of an achievement for reaching the end of the first arc. That was just crass.
Old 2013-04-26, 14:05   Link #134
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Are Microsoft on crack or what? It's like they've gone off the deep end.

Hopefully it's speculah... not that I'm interested in buying a console, but for those who want to.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 15:12   Link #135
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Video sharing... always on... built-in kinect...

Where's the "suggestive wink" smiley?
Reminds me of a button labeled "share" on a certain upcoming game console.
Old 2013-04-26, 15:19   Link #136
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Reminds me of a button labeled "share" on a certain upcoming game console.
I still think that is a stupid idea. I predict in 3-5 years PS4's updated model would no longer have that button or have it changed to a generic extra input.
Old 2013-04-26, 15:42   Link #137
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
I still think that is a stupid idea. I predict in 3-5 years PS4's updated model would no longer have that button or have it changed to a generic extra input.
I think it's great. Encounter an extremely funny moment in a game or see a really bizarre glitch that you want to put on youtube but don't have capture hardware, or have it but it isn't running at the moment? Save the video, share it with psn or capture it later for youtube. Same if your friend is having problems bypassing a certain hard point in a game. Instead of trying to explain it or point him to a walkthrough that may or may not exist, record yourself passing that area and send it to him or her. I don't see why you would not like that.
Old 2013-04-27, 04:09   Link #138
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I think it's great. Encounter an extremely funny moment in a game or see a really bizarre glitch that you want to put on youtube but don't have capture hardware, or have it but it isn't running at the moment? Save the video, share it with psn or capture it later for youtube. Same if your friend is having problems bypassing a certain hard point in a game. Instead of trying to explain it or point him to a walkthrough that may or may not exist, record yourself passing that area and send it to him or her. I don't see why you would not like that.
Except every funny moment are already on youtube. And all walkthroughs exist.

There is no reason to have a "share" button on the controller. There is no reason for it to be there when it doesn't have anything to do with playing a game. But we will see who is right in 5 years.
Old 2013-04-27, 05:11   Link #139
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Except every funny moment are already on youtube. And all walkthroughs exist.
Oh look someone's already posted their fun on youtube, so no one else should post theirs! Oh look someone else posted a walkthrough, that means I can't make my own, or make a short video to help out a friend just to be helpful as a person!

I'm going to pretend you're just trying to be funny and try to ignore just how much stuck in a parallel dimension your thoughts seem be.
Old 2013-04-27, 05:34   Link #140
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Oh look someone's already posted their fun on youtube, so no one else should post theirs! Oh look someone else posted a walkthrough, that means I can't make my own, or make a short video to help out a friend just to be helpful as a person!

I'm going to pretend you're just trying to be funny and try to ignore just how much stuck in a parallel dimension your thoughts seem be.
Pretend whatever you want. We will settle this in 5 years.