Fine 1 8.33%
Bad 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-11, 05:44   Link #41
Jill-Jênn
Music-mad Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Marangio View Post
The movie "Summer Wars" will compete in the International Film Festival in Locarno, Switzerland, that will take place from August 5 to August 15, 2009.
ETA: It will be shown on August 12.
Actually, 12, 13 and 14.
Argh! I live in France, so I'm closer than you guys, but I don't think I'll be able to get there
Jill-Jênn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 02:18   Link #42
ManaChwan

Send a message via AIM to ManaChwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
We'll have to wait - it's only in cinema for now, I guess DVD will be out in ~6-9 months
Ah, I see.
ManaChwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 02:20   Link #43
Jill-Jênn
Music-mad Haruhiist

What about subs? xD
Old 2009-08-12, 09:47   Link #44
M.Marangio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill-Jênn View Post
What about subs? xD
In Locarno the movie will be shown with two sets of subtitles (I think english and french) and with a simultaneous translation, i.e., there are already (official) subs.
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 09:48   Link #45
Jill-Jênn
Music-mad Haruhiist

I know

But I meant: When will we able to watch it?
Old 2009-08-12, 10:10   Link #46
M.Marangio

Probably only when the DVD will be released (in 6-9 months).
Old 2009-08-12, 10:11   Link #47
Jill-Jênn
Music-mad Haruhiist

Why not before?
Old 2009-08-12, 10:53   Link #48
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Looks very promising should looks great on bluray and looks very funny too.
Old 2009-08-12, 15:44   Link #49
M.Marangio

Manga vol. 1

The first volume of the manga was released already. It contains the first four stories from the July and August issue of Young Ace.

http://en.akibablog.net/archives/2009/08/50869529.html (ads may be NSFW)
Old 2009-08-12, 17:05   Link #50
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Why not before?
Maybe when Jerry's finished with "Death Blow".
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 01:59   Link #51
_gallo_

I saw the movie yesterday. It is absolutely beautiful. I think that some people might prefer Tokikake over it but still it's a joy to watch.
For ones who fear that this might be too similar to Tokikake or Digimon rest assured because the movie is quite different. Sure, you can see lots of of similarities since the director and main staff are the same, but Hosoda this time decided to focus on others themes. I was surprised by the screenplay since before viewing it I thought it would be kind of a romantic story with the “war” just used as a pretext so Kenji and Natsuki would play the central roles. Instead it's more like there no real protagonist. Hosoda tried to represent a very numerous family and each member plays his part in the movie. Sure, Natsuki and Kenji are leading characters but they're not over- exposed in comparison to the rest of the cast.
You can call it a choral movie, and I was impressed by how the authors managed to characterized every figures in a very fresh and natural way. A couple of characters might be a bit clichéd since you have show them hundred of times in anime, nonetheless they were portrayed with extreme finesse . The focus this time is family, and how family bonds are or should be one of the strongest thing in life. There's like a dichotomy between family networks and internet (OZ) networks.
Like Tokikake there's sort of a “plot-twist” in the middle, or better to say “something” that change a lot the story but I don't want to ruin the vision so discover yourself what is it.
The directing was stunning, sometimes it fells like Hosoda exaggerated a bit with showing some events, but overall it's full of very good moments. The emotional impact on the viewer is quite strong and, yes, like Tokikake the mood wasn't really serious but from beginning to end it's full of (really) funny moments.
I had no problem with the pacing: maybe be it moves very first fast at the beginning just to reach the “real” start of the story. What else..... I would have preferred more screen time on the real world, not so much but five or ten minutes would be enough, and well, even if the final resolution is quite obvious the screenplay is very unpredictable at times (in a good way, of course).
As for animation, I have to admit that I didn't pay much attention to it since I was more interested in story and character. At a first view It seemed even better than Tokikake's and I think that animators did an amazing job. I saw lots of name in the credits but only parts I recognized are, I think, Nishida's ones. Nishida was the action animation director, and the fights he supervised in OZ are really great.

tl; dr

When it'll be released do a favor yourself and watch it.

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy

Last edited by _gallo_; 2009-08-13 at 04:27.
_gallo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 21:44   Link #52
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by _gallo_ View Post
tl; dr

FFFFFFFFFFF I knoww right? The trailer was just just just just just too well done.

Are there any updates on releases anywhere else?
Old 2009-08-18, 08:07   Link #53
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

I've just watched toki kakeru shoujo and it's very good. Can't wait for this to come out somewhere ^^
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 05:05   Link #54
Jill-Jênn
Music-mad Haruhiist

No news?
*daily looking for a release on the net*
Old 2009-08-21, 01:01   Link #55
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by _gallo_ View Post
tl; dr

Aye sir, do that I will!

Probably 6-9 months until a DVD is released here in the US, sigh.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-21, 04:19   Link #56
Jill-Jênn
Music-mad Haruhiist

But why do we need the DVD to get the subtitles? Nobody made a screener at Locarno?
Old 2009-08-22, 06:53   Link #57
_gallo_

I don't think so. Controls were very strict.

I found a video on youtube (contains a bit of spoilers, but i think it's safe): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvQTajQB6YI&fmt=22

So, it seems that the movie is doing fine at the box office, with more than 7 millions $ earned in the first three weeks. Probably it benefited due to a larger distribution, but in any case is a big improvement from Tokikake. I'm glad that Hosoda received the attention he deserves.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/ja...9&wk=33&p=.htm

Than, well, I had a chance to re-watch the movie and after a second view I noticed how well written is. In a past interview Hosoda said that Okudera's screenplays were very detailed and how this helped him a lot while he was working on the storyboard. With Summer Wars I understood what he meant, I suppose.
Hosoda also said he recently married and had a child too. That's probably why the underlying theme is family.

I'm also surprised because the film weren't well received by the Italian press. Probably I shouldn't expect anything since Italians are really narrow minded about animation in general, but even so I found some reviews very harsh toward the film. While I understand while ones should prefer girl who leapt through time, Summer Wars along with Kappa no Coo and Hosoda's past film is one of the best movies aimed at a general audience of the last 5 years. I don't think it's possible to say it's complete failure.

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy
_gallo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 08:58   Link #58
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
But why do we need the DVD to get the subtitles?
And anyway Jill-Jênn,if we're lucky and this gets the same treatment as "the girl who leapt through time" you'll be able to see it in french theatres by this time next year.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 11:35   Link #59
Jill-Jênn
Music-mad Haruhiist

Yup, but I want to watch it NOW
totoum, I could guess you're French only seeing your nickname (well, you could too) xD
Old 2009-09-13, 05:14   Link #60
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
Reminds me of the digimon movies...badly. Just looking at that Art style and then I watched further. Lol
same director, as with the girl who lept through time
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote