AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 59 55.14%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 29.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 9.35%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.93%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-25, 09:52   Link #121
Keiran
Slacker extrodinaire

Just finished watching the ep, and i was really blasted away by it. The time skip was awesome and the characters even became more interesting. Rossiu is definitely a welcome change to the series. He definitely stands out among his happy-go-lucky peers.

But Kinon's colder change was a bit surprising and giving the stupid-twins a seat in the government did annoy me quite a bit.
Old 2007-07-25, 13:15   Link #122
Midonin
Last Engage

There, completely caught up. Kamina City looks to be a pretty impressive place. If I didn't know better, I'd say that it was Tokyo or NYC. Though Rossiu's determination to prevent 1,000,000 people was a little disturbing and almost hypocritical. I was shocked when he said Simon wasn't supposed to fight. Without Simon and Gurren-Lagann, where's the justice?

The new entity causing more problems than solving them and taking over Nia sort of reminded me of the still-unknown entity in Mai-Otome Zwei. I highly await seeing where the series goes from here. Especially if anything comes of that moon probe.
Old 2007-07-25, 19:43   Link #123
bdragonomega

Hahaha, nice episode. Anti-spiral eh? Seems interesting... they actually power up spiral power so the spiral entity will blow the anti-spiral entity into tiny lego blocks of doooom.

Maybe evil Nia is gonna power up Simon's drill and have him stab his powered up drill into her....

[edit]
Lol, i just noticed, but in the op where it shows Rossiu's gang.... doesn't it actually look like he started a "I Wear Glasses" Club with him being the leader and not wearing glasses, haha.

Last edited by bdragonomega; 2007-07-25 at 20:02.
Old 2007-07-26, 08:13   Link #124
Westlo
Lets be reality

I can't give this a ten since it's not in the same league as the other GL eps I gave a ten to but it still gets a well deserved 9. I must admit I thought it might slow down a tad after the time skip to set the scene but they really didn't. Love the new opening sequence and I'm glad they kept the same song.

Evil Nia is hot, can't wait for Yokos re-entrance and omg @ the spaceship in the op from the first scene in the anime.

Yay ost nearly out too!
Old 2007-07-26, 23:08   Link #125
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

You don't Know Anything

Finally, the third arc has delivered.

Well-crafted storytelling that delved quite shocking surprises and bending of loyalties.

I have read Omni's review for it, and I quite agreed to much anything that he commented.
Spoiler:

And I know starting to theorize why did Helix King forced humanity beneath the ground.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-07-26, 23:30   Link #126
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
And I know starting to theorize why did Helix King forced humanity beneath the ground.
Spoiler:
Well,
Spoiler:
Old 2007-07-27, 01:05   Link #127
Solus

Man, when I saw 16 I was irritated, but 17 is too perfect, makes up for that junk

Spoiler:

This ones at musashiken:
Spoiler:

This series is like Dragon Ball on speed. Instead of 3 series and 500+ episodes we're getting huge leaps in plot and characters in the blink of an eye. Rock on!

Last edited by Solus; 2007-07-27 at 01:46. Reason: MANY
Old 2007-07-27, 04:14   Link #128
a hobbit
a hibbity hobbity hooobit

I absolutely loved and despised this episode simultaneously. I'm glad we finally got to the time jump, with all the character's so different now. GAINAX did really well on showing how different people really are when there isn't one single goal uniting them (defeating the Helix King). I love the fact that there are more or less 3 factions now. At the same time I really do despise the new Rossiu, he's a very welcome change to the old Gurren Brigade, but he still pisses me off =P.

As for everyones' new looks, I like the new Gimmy and Darry, very awesome. Rossiu also looks quite snazzy himself. I also like Nia's long hair again. I must say though that Simon's new looks are my least favorite. For some reason he just seems too klutzy. I guess it's hard to explain, but I was hoping he'd look cooler in the future. Then again, he is neither GARlock nor gotten his cape yet =P

All I can say is I can't wait to watch the rest of the episodes, so much could still easily happen. I can only imagine how ridiculously GAR Simon and the rest of the Gurren Brigade are going to be, and how incredibly awesome and pumped up I'm going to get from this series. I'm already shaking with excitement ^^
Old 2007-07-27, 15:28   Link #129
Midonin
Last Engage

That raises a question I was wondering about. It was mentioned that the "Ancient Ganmen" were destroyed, and Gurren-Lagann is still around. But where's DaiGurren? I hope it's not rusting away in a junkyard somewhere. It's too cool for that kind of fate.
Old 2007-07-28, 08:07   Link #130
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
That raises a question I was wondering about. It was mentioned that the "Ancient Ganmen" were destroyed, and Gurren-Lagann is still around. But where's DaiGurren? I hope it's not rusting away in a junkyard somewhere. It's too cool for that kind of fate.
It was probably studied extensively then left to rust in away in a junkyard somewhere.
Old 2007-07-28, 11:43   Link #131
Archer

According to Gainax, the Gunmen weren't really all destroyed; they are "underground" (figuratively) as part of an illegal sport.
Old 2007-09-23, 14:16   Link #132
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Took me long enough to get around to this episode, but here I am finally:

I like how they handled the time gap with this episode by having each of the characters transition into the position most fit for them, Simon as President, Rossiu as advisor, Leeron as the head of the science department, Viral as the renegade he always was and Gimmy and Darry as enforcers (Darry lost the glazed over look on her face as she grew older, but I wonder if she still has the stuffed animal). The idea to rename the capital city Kamina City and to immortalize the hero in a statue kind of brought a tear to my eye, they couldn't have handled that part better if they tried. Kittan seems to also be in charge of the military and we even saw the mayor from Kamina and Simon's old city. The real shocker was the 3 sisters and my favourite Kinon becoming such a militant and cold person. That was unexpected. And who would have thought Kiyoh's baby would be the 1 millionth human, I guess that is fitting as well. The writers did there job very well this episode. I also like the Grapal squadron and how it's to the Gurren-Lagann as the Sizzler Black is to the Gunbuster. Now that the gateway to the Tron universe has been opened (seriously that Anti-Spiral weapon was surreal as anything I've seen in a mecha series, it didn't look like it belonged on this plain of existence with it's neon polygonal and vectral appearance) and Nia has become some sort of mouth piece for the Anti-Spiral's and everything that Simon has fought for appears to be in ruins with noone to blame but himself, what will happen next. Knowing Gurren-Lagann fireworks will fly and I really have no idea. It pays to keep unspoiled sometimes.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-09-23 at 23:17.
Old 2010-06-14, 12:21   Link #133
kitten320

A time skip? That was unexpected... they sure developed a lot in some mere 7 years 0_o
Like if they had never lived underground before...

Well Simon does look good.
Old 2010-06-15, 22:58   Link #134
darkdarkdark
Let's Go, My Friends.

I thought it was pretty interesting too. Seeing everyone all grown up. Very interesting indeed.