AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-04, 11:52   Link #21
videoman190

It's going be simulcasted by Cruncryroll!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopi...anguard-gosick
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 15:08   Link #22
cohen

So with that does the hope of a dub disappear?
Old 2011-01-04, 16:37   Link #23
videoman190

No but it may get a chance on DVD maybe when it gets popular! Also a high chance that 4Kids is not dubbing or localizing it!
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 16:40   Link #24
cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoman190 View Post
No but it may get a chance on DVD maybe when it gets popular! Also a high chance that 4Kids is not dubbing or localizing it!
Who else is going to get it then? 4kids is this shows only chance.
Old 2011-01-04, 23:29   Link #25
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohen View Post
Who else is going to get it then? 4kids is this shows only chance.
No kid oriented card-game anime has ever been simulcast before.

It could gain a following on the 'net instead of TV, who knows?
If they are serious about it they'll follow up with an english release/license of the game itself and then do stuff like bundle DVDs of a couple episode with starter decks.

Remember, the success of a card game anime has nothing to do with DVD sales: It's card sales that count!

Streaming instead of waiting for a TV deal that might never come is probably smarter in this day and age.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 18:27   Link #26
cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
No kid oriented card-game anime has ever been simulcast before.

It could gain a following on the 'net instead of TV, who knows?
If they are serious about it they'll follow up with an english release/license of the game itself and then do stuff like bundle DVDs of a couple episode with starter decks.

Remember, the success of a card game anime has nothing to do with DVD sales: It's card sales that count!

Streaming instead of waiting for a TV deal that might never come is probably smarter in this day and age.
The people making anime like this usually target kids, and mostly kids don't go online. I assume this is only for anime fans to check out the show, and a broadcast will come in time. Crunchyroll alone cannot carry the card game.
Old 2011-01-07, 20:19   Link #27
bayoab

Complete Yugioh clone, even down to the card names and the plot. (That's not entirely a bad thing but this goes all the way across the board.)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 23:39   Link #28
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

A couple of similarities were shown in the first episode. We'll see how much "borrowing" Cardfight Vanguard does off of Yu Gi Oh.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 05:50   Link #29
ShiroiRyu

Anyways, the OP/ED were good.
The silver haired chick look have a good bust for what i saw ... What ? I'm not in my ecchi anime ? O_o
Anyways, for a beginning, it's a normal episode ... Liked the fight and the music.
ShiroiRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 10:21   Link #30
Ahiru77
あひる

When I watched this....I realized I was really, really, REALLY lucky to have seen Yu-gi-oh back in the day as my first card game series.

You know it could have been YGO GX....
It could have been Duel Masters....
It could have been THIS Vanguard.....thing...

Show like these make you see how genius Yu-gi-oh really was.
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 10:59   Link #31
cohen

Seeing how I am watching this mostly to learn the game, and see how it compares to MTG and YGO, I am impressed to an extent. It seems pretty simple, kinda like Pokemon with the 6 damage limit. However it relies a bit too much on luck to draw a trigger to activate some effect which could make or break the attack in your favor. But, there is a bright side. The starter decks being given away have special speed rules. I hope these rules in the show now are speed rules.
Old 2011-01-08, 11:47   Link #32
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahiru77 View Post
When I watched this....I realized I was really, really, REALLY lucky to have seen Yu-gi-oh back in the day as my first card game series.

You know it could have been YGO GX....
It could have been Duel Masters....
It could have been THIS Vanguard.....thing...

Show like these make you see how genius Yu-gi-oh really was.
Yu Gi Oh was not initially about the card game. It was about the Sennen Items and various other games that Yugi played and won, making him the "King of Games", or "Game King".

The series most people are familiar with begins with Duelist Kingdom, which really was about the card game. but there was also a significant plot with the Sennen Items that lasted all through to the end of the Ceremonial Battle.

Does any other card game anime have such a compelling underlying plot that makes it a serious anime?
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 11:59   Link #33
cohen

What a wonder how such a single mechanic such as the drive trigger tipped the whole game into Kai's favor. It is such a luck driven mechanic, making me not like it as much.
Old 2011-01-08, 12:29   Link #34
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Well, the first episode wasn't bad at all. Some random observations:

Spoiler for Episode 1:

Overall, if you're a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh and similar card centered shows, this doesn't do anything horribly wrong, and actually shows some promise. As long as they sort out the issues with the game and Aichi develops into a worthy protagonist for people to sympathize with, it might be a nice time sinker.

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2011-01-08 at 12:45.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 12:41   Link #35
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post
Does any other card game anime have such a compelling underlying plot that makes it a serious anime?
Digimon Tamers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohen View Post
What a wonder how such a single mechanic such as the drive trigger tipped the whole game into Kai's favor. It is such a luck driven mechanic, making me not like it as much.
All card games have a factor of luck. If you think about it, the trigger card are chosen by the player and are even arranged by him to work in a line at first. Shuffling them at the beggining kinda messes with that.

But really, I prefer abilities and triggers to simply increasing attack and detracting more life points.

... In other news, if you want strategy in card games, go play 5 Rings. Is it a bird? Is it a game? No, It's frakkin Romance of the Three Kingdoms with jutsus and a million rules in card game form.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 12:45   Link #36
cohen

I hope these are merely the speed fight rules that the starter decks being given away will be played with. If the game is this luck driven, with only monsters, it can get pretty old fast. I hope the actual game has more in depth rules and these are merely speed rules to have a quick match.
Old 2011-01-08, 12:54   Link #37
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post
There is no compelling underlying plot. The show doesn't even focus on the millennium items for more than half of the episodes. (Note: I didn't count, I just added arcs.) The whole point of Yugioh: DM is to sell various cards. The plot is basically tacked on to provide continuity between each arc which was designed to show off cards that would be released in the next sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
Kai on the other hand was our Kaiba, although he does seem a bit more decent than the latter, simply because of his attitude. Kaiba was a very weird person who was clearly obsessed over something, while Kai is just... cool, and as such acts that way. The yellow hair kid served as our Jonouchi for this episode, but the ED makes it seem like he's not sticking around with the main cast in the future?
Kai is closer to a mish-mash of Atem X Kaiba imo. The other guy (who bullys him) is basically the other traits of Kaiba x the original Jonouchi. The yellow hair kid is closer to the DM Jonouchi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
- I was somewhat positively surprised by the monster designs. Some of them are real misses, but a few of Aichi's and Kai's monsters were actually very cool looking, in particular the first one Aichi sends out as his Vanguard. I forgot his name now, but it reminded me a bit of a chibi Dark Magician. Cool concept, although not exactly original.
Blaster Blade (Buster Blader wants his name back and the Dark Paladin, Dark Magician and Black Luster Soldier all want their character design back.)
Amusingly, in the opening, there is also a Dark Magician Girl looking card.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 13:05   Link #38
cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
There is no compelling underlying plot. The show doesn't even focus on the millennium items for more than half of the episodes. (Note: I didn't count, I just added arcs.) The whole point of Yugioh: DM is to sell various cards. The plot is basically tacked on to provide continuity between each arc which was designed to show off cards that would be released in the next sets.
The arcs based on the manga follow a plot line much closer than the filler does. ignoring Virtual World Arcs, DOMA, and the KC Championship you got a pretty coherent story. Duelist Kingdom leads into Battle City, which then goes right into the Memory World Arc.

Quote:
Kai is closer to a mish-mash of Atem X Kaiba imo. The other guy (who bullys him) is basically the other traits of Kaiba x the original Jonouchi. The yellow hair kid is closer to the DM Jonouchi.
Kaiba in the original was not so ... scornful.

Quote:
Blaster Blade (Buster Blader wants his name back and the Dark Paladin, Dark Magician and Black Luster Soldier all want their character design back.)
Amusingly, in the opening, there is also a Dark Magician Girl looking card.
I keep on hearing Buster Blader due to the accent, and it is annoying. I think the design you are looking for most is Silent Magician, the card Yugi played at the end of the Ceremonial Duel.
Old 2011-01-08, 20:05   Link #39
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Male lead is exactly like our good old Yugi, weak getting bullied, being put to face against said-strongest character of the anime so far, but being shy for almost 85% of the time. The game itself was well simple of course as people said before it's entirely luck dependent more then strategy.
Old 2011-01-08, 21:16   Link #40
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Male lead is exactly like our good old Yugi, weak getting bullied, being put to face against said-strongest character of the anime so far, but being shy for almost 85% of the time. The game itself was well simple of course as people said before it's entirely luck dependent more then strategy.
And then you put a card in the guy's hand and his personality goes 180.

You too can transform from wimp to hero by playing Vanguard!

I liked the first ep. Too bad it's one week until the end of the card battle.

Tags
card game, cardfight vanguard