AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-19, 07:22   Link #141
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'm 99% sure it isn't.
I *believe* it *may* have been mentioned somewhere in 2059 Memories, or the Official Fan Book, or the DVD booklets...but yeah...I'm really not sure.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-19, 07:25   Link #142
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
And who is "little Yot-chan" - my memory is too foggy with Macross, unfortunately.
Old 2010-10-19, 07:27   Link #143
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I *believe* it *may* have been mentioned somewhere in 2059 Memories, or the Official Fan Book, or the DVD booklets...but yeah...I'm really not sure.
I'd be heavily surprised if it wasn't mentioned in the fan book of all things, but yeah, it doesn't matter anyway.
Old 2010-10-19, 07:29   Link #144
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Ahh...okay. Who would have thought he'd turn into such a good businessman.
Old 2010-10-19, 09:44   Link #145
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Only for Ranka.
I think Sheryl won't disagree as well.
Old 2010-10-20, 02:11   Link #146
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Late late late...ah well.

Going to apply raile's idea (adding some of the staff/cast comments)

Alto: If he hates the hime nickname and his Kabuki past that much, why doesn't he just cut that hair!
[Nakamura: the character sketches sent with the audition package/request made him seem even more feminine (very thin neck apparently). => "There's no way I can do this character! Isn't there any other option?!" But apparently they requested that he audition for Alto...(Nakamura's one of the go-to male tsundere's after all )
Kawamori: I wanted to emphasise the gap between his appearance and his personality.]

Sheryl: made me cringe...I'm not surprised I was more inclined to Ranka the first time...

Ranka: though I'm a bit more indifferent now. Though I'll try and be more forgiving of her seiyuu rather than associating her too much with the character...
[About 5000 girls auditioned for this part apparently . The nyan-nyan song was actually part of the audition - no music was provided, and they were told to sing it as they wished. So if you like it (or not), you know who to thank (or condemn for the tune )...]

Michel: cringe-worthy flirt...

eh...Ozma was the one who got the concert ticket for Ranka, huh? hm...

Other little commentary points:
  • In his youth, Kawamori was an expert at making paper airplanes, though he denies that he is an expert anymore (just in case they don't fly, apparently)
  • Whilst making Macross Plus, Kawamori had the chance to use an actual simulator for go up in a training (fighter) plane. After training for an hour to learn the basic maneuvers, he was able to operate it himself, and even participated in a mock battle!
  • Nakamura is a mecha-fanboy. He went out to get a valkyrie once he found out that he'd passed the audition. Since there weren't any from the original series - he didn't want a blue one (Michel's colour) - he ended up getting one from Macross Zero...
  • On the OP: Nakajima and Nakamura thought that Sheryl's "don't be late" would be the opening. Then they saw the episode and were a bit taken aback by actual OP's lyrics (i.e. "who are you going to kiss"...Kawamori had asked for a song fitting for a love triangle, but never expected the lyrics to be so direct!

An actual flight simulator? He actually maneuvered one in real life? (see note below) Even more WOW!
I'm glad they were taken aback by those lyrics too...I've never quite liked them

(And I really should get those applications completely done before the weekend...so that I can actually be here on time...)

edit for note: *sighs* I remember why I said "simulator" first time around. Because Kawamori used the term "戦闘機の練習機" - fighter plane for training. But then he makes the comment that "the feeling of the sky at that time was amazing..." So, I'm guessing it's like a car for teaching learners - the teacher sits beside you and directs you, and is able to take over the controls if something happens.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-10-20 at 08:09.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 03:18   Link #147
magnuskn

I really gotta ask: Since Sheryls first appearance on the show ( in the galaxy liner arriving on Frontier ) put emphasis on the girlish side of her, did all of you decide to not like her when she displayed the "diva bitch" moment in front of the locker room, or did some of you dislike her before that? I'd hope nobody was taken in by Altos feeble outrage moment when Sheryl is driven off to safety during the Vajra attack...
Old 2010-10-20, 03:46   Link #148
Francismeunier
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I really gotta ask: Since Sheryls first appearance on the show ( in the galaxy liner arriving on Frontier ) put emphasis on the girlish side of her, did all of you decide to not like her when she displayed the "diva bitch" moment in front of the locker room, or did some of you dislike her before that? I'd hope nobody was taken in by Altos feeble outrage moment when Sheryl is driven off to safety during the Vajra attack...
I just did not like her attitude towards Lt Glass with who she hired for the flying crew. Thing is she was quite confident with Alto on that part.

May her selfish way at the end when that Vajra invaded the city also had a effect too.
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 03:55   Link #149
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

The attitude did it for me. I always thought Alto's rant was a bit too "holier than thou" and I don't care for that kinda thing. What can I say, I don't really like ojou-samas and the like...

Now, if Ranka's brother was the one who got her the ticket for the show, why the heck was he so surprised when he saw her there?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 04:01   Link #150
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francismeunier View Post
May her selfish way at the end when that Vajra invaded the city also had a effect too.
But how was that being selfish? She was being evacuated by the military.
Old 2010-10-20, 04:03   Link #151
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
The attitude did it for me.
This was going to be my answer.

Quote:
Now, if Ranka's brother was the one who got her the ticket for the show, why the heck was he so surprised when he saw her there?
It looked like he was shocked seeing her being recorded, i mean the chances of that happening are quite small.

Thanks a lot for the commentary points karice67. I'd love to experience an actual plane simulator. Maybe that explains why Macross Plus has one of the best dogfights in the franchise!

& Nakamura not wanting a blue valkyrie for that reason made me laugh quite a bit.
Old 2010-10-20, 04:06   Link #152
magnuskn

Quote:
The attitude did it for me. I always thought Alto's rant was a bit too "holier than thou" and I don't care for that kinda thing. What can I say, I don't really like ojou-samas and the like...
But only the attitude from the dressing room scene, right? Or did her other few appearances in the first episode also grate with you?
Old 2010-10-20, 04:27   Link #153
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I found the dressing room scene grating enough. Like I said, I'm not a fan of this particular (perceived) character type, so it's no surprise I didn't care for her, here.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 07:15   Link #154
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Late late late...ah well.

Going to apply raile's idea (adding some of the staff/cast comments)

Alto: If he hates the hime nickname and his Kabuki past that much, why doesn't he just cut that hair!
[Nakamura: the character sketches sent with the audition package/request made him seem even more feminine (very thin neck apparently). => "There's no way I can do this character! Isn't there any other option?!" But apparently they requested that he audition for Alto...(Nakamura's one of the go-to male tsundere's after all )
Kawamori: I wanted to emphasise the gap between his appearance and his personality.]

Sheryl: made me cringe...I'm not surprised I was more inclined to Ranka the first time...

Ranka: though I'm a bit more indifferent now. Though I'll try and be more forgiving of her seiyuu rather than associating her too much with the character...
[About 5000 girls auditioned for this part apparently . The nyan-nyan song was actually part of the audition - no music was provided, and they were told to sing it as they wished. So if you like it (or not), you know who to thank (or condemn for the tune )...]

Michel: cringe-worthy flirt...

eh...Ozma was the one who got the concert ticket for Ranka, huh? hm...

Other little commentary points:
  • In his youth, Kawamori was an expert at making paper airplanes, though he denies that he is an expert anymore (just in case they don't fly, apparently)
  • Whilst making Macross Plus, Kawamori had the chance to use an actual simulator for a fighter plane. After training for an hour to learn the basic maneuvers, he was able to operate it himself, and even participated in a mock battle!
  • Nakamura is a mecha-fanboy. He went out to get a valkyrie once he found out that he'd passed the audition. Since there weren't any from the original series and he didn't want a blue one (Michel's colour), he ended up getting one from Macross Zero...
  • On the OP: Nakajima and Nakamura thought that Sheryl's "don't be late" would be the opening. Then they saw the episode and were a bit taken aback by actual OP's lyrics (i.e. "who are you going to kiss"...Kawamori had asked for a song fitting for a love triangle, but never expected the lyrics to be so direct!

An actual flight simulator? WOW.
I'm glad they were taken aback by those lyrics too...I've never quite liked them

(And I really should get those applications completely done before the weekend...so that I can actually be here on time...)

Awesome info! Where's it from?

(One correction, though...Kawamori didn't just use a flight simulator, he (and Ichiro Itano, if I'm not mistaken) actually flew in the back seat of a fighter at Edwards Air Force Base in a mock dogfight in order to get a true sense of what it's like.)
Old 2010-10-20, 07:22   Link #155
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Ojou-samas can be fun so long as they aren't true stuck up rich girl bitches.

Quote:
Like Shiroth said, she was on camera. It's always surprising to see someone you know on camera at a concert or game.

Quote:

(One correction, though...Kawamori didn't just use a flight simulator, he (and Ichiro Itano, if I'm not mistaken) actually flew in the back seat of a fighter at Edwards Air Force Base in a mock dogfight in order to get a true sense of what it's like.)
Karice said that he participated in a mock battle. Although you could interpret it as a simulated mock battle.
Old 2010-10-20, 07:31   Link #156
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Karice said that he participated in a mock battle. Although you could interpret it as a simulated mock battle.
That's what I took it to mean, since Karice also said he learned to operate it himself in an hour...which DEFINITELY couldn't refer to a real aircraft.

A fighter jet is no Gundam, boy...no Gundam!
Old 2010-10-20, 07:31   Link #157
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:

From the episode 1 commentary I'm surprised you're not listening to it as well (though admittedly, it seems to have more incidental talk rather than stuff that really goes into the background of the Macross universe...)

Thanks...that bit I really couldn't quite understand. *goes and edits again* (Though he does say that he sat next to (横) the pilot rather than behind (後ろ - Nakamura asked), and operated it himself for a 20 minutes before they had the mock battle.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
& Nakamura not wanting a blue valkyrie for that reason made me laugh quite a bit.
Actually, he phrased it as "the blue one would be more fitting for Kamiya-san", but I quite like that abbreviation

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-10-20 at 07:45.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 07:34   Link #158
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
From the episode 1 commentary I'm surprised you're not listening to it as well (though admittedly, it seems to have more incidental talk rather than stuff that really goes into the background of the Macross universe...)

Thanks...that bit I really couldn't quite understand. *goes and edits again* (Though he does say that he sat next to (横) the pilot rather than behind (後ろ - Nakamura asked), and operated it himself for a 20 minutes before they had the mock battle.)
Embarrassingly, I haven't listened to much of the commentary...

Not, that is, since I was checking all of the commentary tracks to see which one had Bobby interviewing Hiroshi Ohnogi. But I wasn't really listening then...just checking.
Old 2010-10-20, 07:40   Link #159
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
That's why I don't do many commentary. There is so much other banter that I just don't' care about sometimes.
Old 2010-10-20, 07:56   Link #160
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
That's why I don't do many commentary. There is so much other banter that I just don't' care about sometimes.
Still i sit through the banter, because you'll come across some seriously special information you won't find anywhere else. This thread shows just that.

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch