AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-06, 21:01   Link #1
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

Send a message via MSN to Asakura_Y0h
Episode 18 Discussion - Possible Spoilers

Muahahahahahahahaha.............................. I wanted to be the first to start last week's episode thread and I couldn't so this time NO ONE will beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, I admit I have nothing else better but to be a thread starter....... Any Hokkien speaking person would use the term "Kiasu" to represent me and I agree totally 100%..... Muahahahahahaha.... so here goes....

No need to use spoiler tags for anything from ep 18 and before but please do for anything after and also if things are on speculation basis please say so just to make sure that the ppl don't get confused at what's being discussed....
Old 2004-02-07, 00:50   Link #2
SetaNoriyasu
Harbinger

/off Topic
Walauway.... seriously have no comment lar
/off Topic
Old 2004-02-07, 01:08   Link #3
degeros
Sinner

It probably is going to cover the key aspects of chapter 10 of the manga.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-02-08, 01:02   Link #4
ArKz

yep that pretty much sums it up...doubt if their will be much more than just that
Old 2004-02-08, 07:21   Link #5
kamij0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakura_Y0h
Muahahahahahahahaha.............................. I wanted to be the first to start last week's episode thread and I couldn't so this time NO ONE will beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, I admit I have nothing else better but to be a thread starter....... Any Hokkien speaking person would use the term "Kiasu" to represent me and I agree totally 100%..... Muahahahahahaha.... so here goes....

No need to use spoiler tags for anything from ep 18 and before but please do for anything after and also if things are on speculation basis please say so just to make sure that the ppl don't get confused at what's being discussed....

lol in this case, i'll go and create threads for 20 21 22 ... to 52 in advance when the previous ep to it comes... cause i'm a kiasu singaporean...
Old 2004-02-08, 15:35   Link #6
ArKz

/kinda off topic
yeah...18 is out to dl already somehow...i am tryin to download it now but its only goin 4 kb/s :cry:
Old 2004-02-08, 16:21   Link #7
Nine Devil
Master(Vicious)'s Padawan

well i watched it was great fighting of Scar against lust and that shitty humaneater.Lust looks like the wife of Scar's brother o.O and wtf i don't get the end you need to kill humans to make the stone?
Old 2004-02-08, 16:59   Link #8
nak
Squishy

Send a message via AIM to nak
i think that in order to gain the stone you must exchange human life. not sure if you have to kill them exactly but either way it sounds like there has to be some form of human sacrifice or several. personally i think it has something to do with their soul?? im not really that sure
Old 2004-02-08, 17:48   Link #9
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Humm.. The term Scar called Lust and Gluttony really caught my eye... "Homunculus" which is a term I came across before in a game called "shadow of desitny". Which also had a deep theme of alchemy. Supposedly it's a human made being that live beyond time(immortal) and has the power to change destiny. Looks like the definition fits to the point that they're immortal... and they seem to be leading Edward down a certain path. Interesting stuff.
Old 2004-02-08, 18:00   Link #10
YuuOminae
唯我独尊

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade
Humm.. The term Scar called Lust and Gluttony really caught my eye... "Homunculus" which is a term I came across before in a game called "shadow of desitny". Which also had a deep theme of alchemy. Supposedly it's a human made being that live beyond time(immortal) and has the power to change destiny. Looks like the definition fits to the point that they're immortal... and they seem to be leading Edward down a certain path. Interesting stuff.
A homunculus is basically a person that was created through alchemy, aka what Ed and Al tried to do with their mother. It's kind of similar to a golem.
Old 2004-02-08, 21:05   Link #11
Mcdonalds

This ep is a great ep. It moves the story on a lot and it has a great fight scene for people who love action. It also leaves a lot of questions to be answered from the next episodes which is good in my opinion.
Old 2004-02-08, 21:11   Link #12
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
Okay, if they were created, the question would be: By whom?
Manga Chapter 31
Old 2004-02-08, 21:32   Link #13
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

Send a message via MSN to Asakura_Y0h
darn it... the stupid ep is downloading at home and i can't watch it till later cause I'm at work... sigh......

this is severely out of topic and more 'kiasu' mannerism... we have successfully beated Full Metal Panic's no. of posts on the Series Discussion forum.... Hooray!!!! Next up One Piece at 1617posts.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Asakura_Y0h; 2004-02-08 at 22:48.
Old 2004-02-08, 23:26   Link #14
luisa081

what does kiasu mean?
Old 2004-02-09, 00:02   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Just watched the ep. It was great. The Scar vs Lust and Gluttony fight was pretty good. Still it's the characters and plot that make FMA a good series, and this episode was no different. The little detail about the philosopher's stone having humans as one of it's main components shouldn't really have been as much of a suprise because of the law of equivalent trade. It seems like it overcomes that law when it's used for alchemy because the lives of the people needed to make it represent a greater quantity than what would be needed to trade for something through standard alchemy.
Is it just me or does Scieszka remind any one else of Yumiko Readman from R.O.D.?
Old 2004-02-09, 00:10   Link #16
animefreak
???

the dictionary says homunculus means "little"..
Old 2004-02-09, 01:23   Link #17
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisa081

what does kiasu mean?
It is a Singaporean slang term that is frequently used Singaporeans (and Malaysians). It is used to describe a one-up-on-you overcompetitive spirit. Basically "if you are going to have/do this, I am going to have/do it first.", not a virtue to have as it is more motivated by greed and pride rather than fair competitive spirit.

Local slang terms should be kept to minimum in global forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Is it just me or does Scieszka remind any one else of Yumiko Readman from R.O.D.?
Yep. I believe it is intentional from the mangaka as a sort of homage or respect or fun. Either that or she's the stereotypical anime/manga library girl model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
It seems like it overcomes that law when it's used for alchemy because the lives of the people needed to make it represent a greater quantity than what would be needed to trade for something through standard alchemy.
Not sure what you are trying to say but the point of needing lives to manufacture a Philosopher's Stone is that the ability of greatly amplified alchemy is the cost of many lives (an equal trade if you consider lives as invaluable).

Lust and Gluttony will still lose to Wrath though IMO
Old 2004-02-09, 01:32   Link #18
YuuOminae
唯我独尊

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Lust and Gluttony will still lose to Wrath though IMO
Heh.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-02-09, 01:40   Link #19
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Not sure what you are trying to say but the point of needing lives to manufacture a Philosopher's Stone is that the ability of greatly amplified alchemy is the cost of many lives (an equal trade if you consider lives as invaluable).
Yeah, I could have been clearer on that. What I mean is the philosopher's stone seems to overcome the law of equivilent trade, but it really still abides by it. By sacrificing people when the stone is created, it has a sort of credit, which allows someone to perform alchemy without offering something to trade at the time. In a sense the philosopher's stone is like a pre-paid phone card for alchemy.
Old 2004-02-09, 02:13   Link #20
Jackl

Man I wish I could read raw manga! I feel so behind...

Far as I can tell the translators are only on FMA 10 in the manga.

Anyway, even without reading much of the manga I think it's pretty obvious who created the homunculus.

Spoiler:

Of course, having only read so little of the manga, I could be completely wrong.
Closed Thread