AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-04-10, 10:23   Link #1
Remittance Man

Location: I live in the ruins of Gill's fortress. You'll see me there with Ryu...
Send a message via AIM to Remittance Man
Am I the only one here who thinks that these character designers...

...are getting better and better as time goes on? I mean, take Square. Every character from Final Fantasy X is soooo much cooler than his or her counterpart in Final Fantasy VII. Even Tidus can kick Cloud's ass! Case in point:
Yuna > Aeris
Rikku > Yuffie
Wakka > Barrett
Seymour > Sephiroth

Yeah, I said that. Sue me!

Same thing goes for Street Fighter! Look at the characters for Street Fighter II.

Done looking? Now look at the characters for Street Fighter III! Even the old characters look cooler! And the new characters are just...soooo cool!
Yun/Yang > Fei-Long
Makoto > Sakura
Necro > Dhalsim
Gill > Bison
Dudley > Balrog
Remy > Everyone else who ever lived

You see? You see what I say, what I'm trying to tell you? These character designers are getting better! I can't WAIT to see the new characters to Street Fighter IV...just hope they bring my Remy back!
Remittance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 11:49   Link #2
rdkenshin

rdkenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 12:14   Link #3
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkenshin

Agreed...............
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 12:40   Link #4
Mcdonalds

"You see? You see what I say, what I'm trying to tell you? These character designers are getting better! I can't WAIT to see the new characters to Street Fighter IV...just hope they bring my Remy back!"

Surely if designs are getting better, they won't need to bring remy back, they'll create even better characters?

bet you also think rikku yuna paine was a cool idea :P
Mcdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 13:18   Link #5
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remittance Man
*snip*
Are you sure you aren't confusing character design with the graphics quality? Remember, newer games have better graphics, so there's more detail they can put into a character.
Old 2006-04-12, 07:42   Link #6
Vinci
Jailbait Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Vinci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Are you sure you aren't confusing character design with the graphics quality? Remember, newer games have better graphics, so there's more detail they can put into a character.
I was thinking the same thing, if you take a look at the pre-rendered conceptual art the character designs really haven't changed much at all in the FF series.
Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 08:16   Link #7
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Most character designers, be it anime, games or manga, most of them get better as time passes. Some of them even undergo major style changes, like the mangaka of Jojo's Bizzare Adventure and Kotaro Makinari Tooru.

Van is a horrnbly bad example. Just because his character designer wasn't the same guy who did FF VII, VIII, X, KH, KH II doesn't mean anything. In fact, I'd go the length to say that this new guy's overall design is superior to the more anime-ish style of the older FF games.

If I remember correctly though, the SF comment is invalid, as the original artist who drew the original Street Fighter characters and the one who redesigned them in the later installments in a more modern style are 2 different people.

Hmm...a good example is the one who did AMG, You're Under Arrest, ST, and the recent Tales series. Compare the art from the early Sakura Taisen games and compare them to Sakura Taisen V. While the game art looks very much similar, you can see a striking difference in the conceptual art. Same goes to Tales of Abyss. The concept art for Ion and Regret makes you go, WTF this is the same guy who did AMG?
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 09:12   Link #8
kujoe
from head to heel

I think it's a matter of taste. If we're talking about Tetsuya Nomura, I think his designs are pretty much static, except that he's more detailed and more into accessorizing nowadays. He tends to be a hit or miss for me. For example, I don't like his designs for FFVIII, FFX and FFX-2, but I think he did a great job for Kingdom Hearts.

But an artist like Kousuke Fujishima is a good example to take note of as Nightengale says. His work in Tales of the Abyss is a total winner. In fact, I like the design of every major character in that game—heck, I like some of the minor ones even, such as your pilot who flies you around.

Fujishima's style is still pretty much the same overall, and whether you like it or not, it's quite easy to see the difference of the then and now of his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinci"
I was thinking the same thing, if you take a look at the pre-rendered conceptual art the character designs really haven't changed much at all in the FF series.
On another note, I think it was more difficult to adapt concept art for a game long ago due to the constraints of older technology. FFVI may have a charm on its own, but it still can't do justice to Amano's work. And it's also true that you could also say, that maybe this so-called gradual improvement in character design goes hand in hand with what can be possibly portrayed in a game from a technology standpoint.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 10:36   Link #9
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Even Tidus can kick Cloud's ass!
no

Quote:
Yuna > Aeris
no- not even close....she has more polygons...that's it, as Advent Children proved

Quote:
Rikku > Yuffie
mayyyyybe

Quote:
Wakka > Barrett
umm....no....Wakka is/was annoying and sported a Tin-tin-esque front curl-up...

Quote:
Seymour > Sephiroth
HELL no...Seymour looks like a fashion show gone very wrong, and Sephiroth...
Old 2006-04-12, 23:29   Link #10
shikamarufoo

^LOL @ that Symour comment...
I think graphics are getting better so they can make better character representations. I mean the if you compare the newest characters against the advent children graphics of the FFVII characters...FFVII just owns.

Cloud looks way better then Tidus there, Tifa over Yuna any and everyday, Barret over Wakka, Seiphiroth over Seymour, Vincent over any FFVII + support charcters, and Yuffie over Rikku most of the time ( I love them both along with Selphie lol...Support girl side characters are the best )...

Excuse my grammer on the above sentence and the use of the word "support characters," didn't know what else to call them lol ~
shikamarufoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 00:17   Link #11
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamarufoo
Cloud looks way better then Tidus there, Tifa over Yuna any and everyday, Barret over Wakka, Seiphiroth over Seymour, Vincent over any FFVII + support charcters, and Yuffie over Rikku most of the time ( I love them both along with Selphie lol...Support girl side characters are the best )...
That comment is so horribly biased. There's no way in hell that Cloud's concept art is way better than Tidus's, and the same goes to the other comparisons of FF VII characters to FF X's character.

What you're mistaking is, the artist's fashion taste, not his art style. His art style has considerably improved from when he did FFVII, when his art was still leaning more towards an anime style, as opposed to his FFX, KH styles which became more styled towards gaming art.

And in-game graphics ALWAYS differ compared with concept art.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote