AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-11-21, 03:38   Link #281
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Just thought I'd post a few little things I've noticed over the last two days. Most of this probably won't be news to anyone who has the system, but who knows. Maybe you'll learn something you hadn't noticed before.
  • When you get a message through WiiConnect24 when the machine's in standby, the disc drive glows blue to get your attention. Looks cool! Pretty clever too, because it makes you look at the Wii whenever you're passing by to see if you've got mail - maybe you'll be enticed to play a game instead...

• You can turn on the auto-complete when typing a message by clicking the icon on top of the backspace in keyboard view, but it's not as handy as it could be because it basically sorts words alphabetically rather than by use frequency.

• USB keyboards don't work by the way; I tried it. That being said, the on-screen keyboard is actually pretty quick. Much faster than using a D-Pad or something.

• When adding a normal E-mail address to the address book, it's a bit annoying that there's no way to include your name in the invite message that gets sent out. How is the recipient supposed to know who you are unless they already know your Wii address? Your Wii E-mail address, though, is w<16-digit-system-address>@wii.com.

• Sometimes there's a bit of a delay in sending out E-mail communication invites - one time it was as high as a few hours, but it seems to be better now. There may or may not be a Wii system invite delay too, sometimes, as it seems to take a while for it to become "active" (even if the other person has already invited you).

• It's a bit confusing to turn on the Mii "auto-travelling" the first time, because you have to first go to the Parade, turn on the travel setting, and then go back, edit your Mii, and turn on the Mingle option (since they didn't really explain what that did at first). It might have been nice to have a bit more explanation on the front-end, but having done that once, it's easy from then on.

• In the Mii Parade mode, the music itself actually speeds up when you change the speed setting - nice touch.

• One of options I changed pretty quickly was to turn down the volume of the Remote speaker. In case it's not obvious how to do that to anyone other than me, you press Home while already at the Main Menu, and then click the Remote section at the bottom of the screen.

• I hope they'll give you an option to have the Wii Store message you when new games become available for download, as the steps to get into the store take a bit too long for me to bother checking it that regularly. Or even if the channel selection screen could show "New!" or something. That being said, the store works very well, and downloading is quite fast.
Overall, my impressions have been quite good. I'm still getting used to the most effective way to do all the gestures (especially in WiiSports, where standing up and emulating the actual gesture of the sport seems to be the best way, as opposed to something like Zelda where small gestures will do), but the system is quite responsive and pretty accurate. I'm a bit torn whether I prefer using gestures for the sword-swipes in Zelda, but it's certainly way better for projectile aiming, camera control, and the like. Anyway, that's all for now!
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 03:40   Link #282
Discovery
Anime Investigator

I want one soooo bad...

I know it has already launched... does anyone have some advise? Should I get one?
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 03:46   Link #283
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
[LIST][*]USB keyboards don't work by the way; I tried it. That being said, the on-screen keyboard is actually pretty quick. Much faster than using a D-Pad or something.
Dang that sux, well there goes that idea D:

Quote:
[*]Sometimes there's a bit of a delay in sending out E-mail communication invites - one time it was as high as a few hours, but it seems to be better now. There may or may not be a Wii system invite delay too, sometimes, as it seems to take a while for it to become "active" (even if the other person has already invited you).
It's roughly 10 minutes or so. I've tested this with others on IRC already. It takes roughly the same time for the Mii's to travel as well. Hopefully it'll go down a tad bit, but it's not really important.

Quote:
[*]One of options I changed pretty quickly was to turn down the volume of the Remote speaker. In case it's not obvious how to do that to anyone other than me, you press Home while already at the Main Menu, and then click the Remote section at the bottom of the screen.
How low did you set it at? I still have mine at default, it's actually pretty spiffy in Zelda

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 04:25   Link #284
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by uLTraCarL- View Post
It's roughly 10 minutes or so. I've tested this with others on IRC already. It takes roughly the same time for the Mii's to travel as well. Hopefully it'll go down a tad bit, but it's not really important.
Oh, well that's good. I had a few people where it seemed to take much longer (including one where they've already invited me, but I still can't message them many hours later), but who knows what the problem was. If the normal delay is about 10 minutes, that's fine by me.

Quote:
How low did you set it at? I still have mine at default, it's actually pretty spiffy in Zelda
Oh, just to about half-way. I don't mind it at all, but it was just a bit too loud relative to the TV in my setup. Plus, the quality of the speaker isn't that great, so turning it down may mask that a bit. It's a neat little extra, though.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 04:35   Link #285
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
how far are you on zelda anyways?
i'm stuck again myself x_x

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 04:44   Link #286
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
I pre-order the WII!!!

woohooo! amazon uk refresh refresh! gotcha!

*click pre-order*

being *sick* this morning, paided off!

Old 2006-11-21, 08:28   Link #287
Olf-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
I pre-order the WII!!!

woohooo! amazon uk refresh refresh! gotcha!

*click pre-order*

being *sick* this morning, paided off!

Good for You

I pre-ordered mine back in September, now It's just these hellish seventeen more days to wait.
Olf-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 11:31   Link #288
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

lololol!!!

SMASH MY WII!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr3wue0nec4

classic! you can see the difference between the Wii and the PS3, nintendo fans, clapped and cheered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhJgHlJo510

PS3 fans, insults and anger. lolololol.
Old 2006-11-21, 11:54   Link #289
Zappster

My arse. Nintendo fans are some of the most rabid fans around if not THE most rabid. If they were clapping and cheering it I can't imagine they were nintendo fans. Most would probably have been sharpening their pitchforks at that point.

I can also understand that dude's point (from the ps3 clip). I don't find smashing either of the consoles particularly funny and you'd have to be a right twat to do it.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 12:38   Link #290
Mcdonalds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
lololol!!!

SMASH MY WII!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr3wue0nec4

classic! you can see the difference between the Wii and the PS3, nintendo fans, clapped and cheered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhJgHlJo510

PS3 fans, insults and anger. lolololol.
Lol you joker, thats a nice comparisson of fans isn't it. How come the Wii seemed to smash really easily. I did like the music though.

But yea what were those videos all about? they weren't even funny
Mcdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 13:04   Link #291
TalonK
Lets Grim Up People

I knew there was a reason I wanted a Wii.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tHBfZRlakc&NR
TalonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-21, 23:42   Link #292
Theclow
"Removed by mod"

Quote:
Theclow: did u get my Mii and picture ?

zelda first boss and such
Spoiler:
Yep got both and sorry about the Mii mix up but I did send you one.
Theclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 07:16   Link #293
Sides

OMG, EA Sims goes Wii
http://boku-sim.jp/

Not sure what to think of it.
Nevermind, never was a friend of the Sim games anyway.
Still somehow shocking that they went with a different art direction.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 17:48   Link #294
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

i need to buy an SD card, but im wondering how big shoud i get it? how much space does a game file take? I ws thinking about 1GB, maybe give me so space for some music or something that might work on the wii.

But that depends on game files size.... does anyone know?
Old 2006-11-24, 20:15   Link #295
Ending

Quote:
My arse. Nintendo fans are some of the most rabid fans around if not THE most rabid.
The most rabid. Sony fans come second. Never heard of any fans of Microsoft.

But who cares. Just lay back and wait until the hype (and fanboys!) settles down.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 20:57   Link #296
Lebron
I hear voices

Don't know why yall ranking, any type of fanboy is sad. Not choosing to play a game just purely due to the system its on.. Its actually funny in a pitty type of way. Owell can't be helped.

Anyways I haven't been able to play on our Wii lately. Been able to play some Zelda here and there, but with GF PMSin and studying for Finals...my time has been taken.

Now come December when all that should be out of the way, I'm going to have to flip flop from playing Blue Dragon and Mr. Link.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 21:24   Link #297
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

I agree, and besides I've seen so many kinds of fanboys for each console, I think it's dishonest to label any single consol's fanboy base as being more rabid than the others.
Old 2006-11-24, 22:30   Link #298
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

er....anyone know what type of SD card i should get?
Old 2006-11-24, 22:52   Link #299
Lebron
I hear voices

get a 2 gig Kingston
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...332&adid=17662
just bought one for mine
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 12:01   Link #300
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

Trauma Center needs to be pimped more. It probably makes the best use out of the Wii-mote besides Wii Sports, plus its awesome.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console, wii