AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

View Poll Results: Attack on Titan - Episode 40 Rating
Perfect 10 1 14.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 14.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 2 28.57%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 28.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 14.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2018-08-05, 03:06   Link #1
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Attack on Titan - Episode 40 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Attack on Titan, Episode 40.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-05, 17:06   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The torture was skipped, after all. I would have liked to see people's reaction to a certain device.

Anyway, the protagonists are facing their biggest crisis yet. It's them against everyone else. Reeves jr might be able to clear the whole thing up, if he doesn't get killed first that is. Erwin has bigger plans than just getting released though. He wants Historia to become Queen to clear corruption and unveil the conspiracy within the walls.
Old 2018-08-05, 17:19   Link #3
Nivek von Beldo

Poor Christa/Historia and those childhood traumas.

So Eat Eren for his powers...poor princess Eren.

Amazing chapter, the anti information control themes were amazing.
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-05, 22:00   Link #4
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I feel bad for Historia. She's had a pretty bad childhood, and I don't think it's gonna get any better for her.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-06, 02:04   Link #5
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I do wonder why they made such a big deal of the secret king's bastard child. Even more so of her mother.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-06, 03:11   Link #6
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I do wonder why they made such a big deal of the secret king's bastard child. Even more so of her mother.
They explain the Reiss family are the real royal family of the country while the current King is a pretender and possibly a puppet king for the conspirators. If anyone knew the truth, they would have use Historia/Christa as a figurehead to over throw the current government which the latter won't like it since it means the end of their corrupt rule.
Old 2018-08-06, 17:14   Link #7
James Rye

Man, Historia childhood was sucking really hard. Douchebag dad and bitch mother and a whole bunch of cold-blooded guys who got no problem to cut her throat. Poor girl deserves some happiness, albeit I fear she won't find it as ruler (or as puppet of the military commander) of this kingdom.
Old 2018-08-06, 23:51   Link #8
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
They explain the Reiss family are the real royal family of the country while the current King is a pretender and possibly a puppet king for the conspirators. If anyone knew the truth, they would have use Historia/Christa as a figurehead to over throw the current government which the latter won't like it since it means the end of their corrupt rule.
Reiss is the king masquerading as a minor noble. For reasons. OK, whatever. I can understand why they'd want to keep her on hand in case they need a royal. I don't understand why they killed her mother or sent her to the corps.

It's not like anyone would care if a minor noble banged the maid or had a child with her.
Old 2018-08-07, 10:26   Link #9
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'd say it's also about information control. The less people know about Reiss, the less it can be used against the userpers.

I don't think they were keeping Historia on hand. I think Reiss was keeping her a secret but got found out and had to persuade them to leave her alone by sending her to the military.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-07, 10:55   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The scene showing the death of Historia's mother took place after the fall of Wall Maria. The situation must have changed because of this.
Old 2018-08-07, 11:40   Link #11
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

While all these story development and infodump about the background of some of the characters are interesting, all I want to see is what that damn key opens in the basement in eren's home in shigashina.

It's been 6 years!
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-07, 18:31   Link #12
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
while all these story development and infodump about the background of some of the characters are interesting, all i want to see is what that damn key opens in the basement in eren's home in shigashina.

It's been 6 years!
what in the sam hell is in that basement!
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-08, 06:31   Link #13
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Lol, I completely forgot about that whole basement thing. I wonder if we'll ever get an answer.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-13, 22:19   Link #14
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Reiss is the king masquerading as a minor noble. For reasons. OK, whatever. I can understand why they'd want to keep her on hand in case they need a royal. I don't understand why they killed her mother or sent her to the corps.

It's not like anyone would care if a minor noble banged the maid or had a child with her.
Kenny doesn't appear to be the type to let many loose ends slide so I'm guessing Reiss' overall standing gave him enough clout to sentence "Christa" to what quite easily could have/should have been a life of death fighting Titans...

Also maybe Kenny has a softer spot for children as its being positioned that he took care of Levi and (maybe?) Misaka...So maybe Kenny is about the kids...Mofo certainly ain't bout the adults lol...
Old 2018-08-14, 02:35   Link #15
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Also maybe Kenny has a softer spot for children as its being positioned that he took care of Levi and (maybe?) Misaka...
Kenny's never met Mikasa. He just happens to have the same surname as her.
Old 2018-08-14, 21:23   Link #16
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Kenny's never met Mikasa. He just happens to have the same surname as her.

Hmmm
...didn't know that was established in the anime...I don't recall that...
Old 2018-08-15, 02:17   Link #17
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post

Hmmm
...didn't know that was established in the anime...I don't recall that...

Mikasa's biography isn't a secret. She lived with her parents until they were killed by bandits, then she lived with Eren and his parents until the fall of Wall Maria, then she lived with other orphans (including Eren and Armin) until they could enlist. Then she was a cadet, living in the barracks, then a scout, living wherever duty took her. Where does Kenny fit in that?

Jean's life more of a mystery than hers. Maybe he lived with Kenny?
Old 2018-08-15, 10:26   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

How do you know Kenny never visited when she still lived with her parents? I agree he never took care of her, but we can't say for certain he's never met her.

No way he just happens to have the same surname as her either. They're obviously related.
Old 2018-08-15, 15:33   Link #19
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
How do you know Kenny never visited when she still lived with her parents? I agree he never took care of her, but we can't say for certain he's never met her.
OK, so that's vaguely possible.

Quote:
No way he just happens to have the same surname as her either. They're obviously related.
I didn't say they weren't related. I just meant she didn't get her name from him.
Old 2018-10-22, 22:50   Link #20
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Old Story

Truth takes on the weirdest of forms and gets found in the most depressing circumstances, but nobody knows for sure what comes after is exposed.

In one scenario, Historia's childhood seemed to me depressing at not being ever acknowledged by her birth mother at all; a cowardly woman that looked like she just fancied herself ever to be released of her cage momentarily in the city. Meanwhile, Rod Reiss exposed himself to be not only her birth father but also the true King inside the Walls. Funny, that he attempted to summon his estranged child the same night that Wall Maria fell. Moreover, intriguing, that the MP First Interior Squad assassins were dispatched to deal with the troublesome loose knots that existences of both Historia and her mother posed to the government?

Any case, whenever the Government, the MP, and the King are involved in their political shenanigans, surely, Kenny Ackerman, the Slasher, will be found in the midst carving and piling the bodies.

On the other hand, we have Erwin's childhood story delivering to the audience insight on his motivations to overthrow the Government, as they don't care about the truth or humanity's welfare but falling slave to their own selfish greed and arrogance.
Connecting the dots, Djel Sannes delivered the killing blow to Erwin's father throughout that gruesome, torture session for the latter stepping out of bounds and posing a threat to the King's authority.

So, basically is spreading wings to grasp a semblance of personal freedom is to be considered a traitorous act against the King's authority inside the Walls?
For what benefit? for the pigs to act as they please and continue indulging themselves in their gluttony for luxurious goods and riches?

Dimo Reeves may have had a bastard attitude during the Battle of Trost, but even he knew when to draw the line so as not to get carried away by his own greed and selfishness. Profits are no good if both you and your consumers perish all along with the city you're supplying.
Compared to the nobles, he was at least half decent and realist on the predicament that humanity faces.

Now, that the pigs and the wild boar made their move at ensnaring the Scout Regiment pack out cold, then it comes now to both Hange and Levi squad to turn the tables against Rod Reiss.

But, surely, Erwin raising his own death flag was as unpleasant as Hange feeling contrived and troubled on what Sannes let it on: history will always repeat over, and at some point another act will take on the predetermined roles to keep the act together.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote