2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-10-18, 13:48   Link #81
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I thought it was stupid of Orga to have a shady guy like that join. Yeah, I guess you're right in that his presence offers a sinister angle to the group that will more-than-likely be explored at some point, but its almost TOO obvious that he'll betray the group at some point when it is to his advantage(unless he's there as a red herring and its actually the blond guy who will betray everyone).
His words carry more than a kernel of truth though. It's simply fact that Tekkadan needs money. Orga giving his previous slave drivers a chance to join under the new leadership was basically an indoctrination process to their ideology, which tilts toward survival by any means. Hitler-kun represents the id, while the idiots that got killed were the ego, quite literally at that. He's even smarter than the guys who chose to leave the group, because he didn't know for sure whether Orga was gonna kill them afterwards because of security or financial reasons. Choosing to stay and obey the new masters in order to survive makes the guy an almost perfect fit for the group.

Right now, I see him being a useful advisor to Orga. When he said he wanted the boss to sell Kudelia, everybody was like "wait, that actually makes sense." Him being the id of the group, he says these things out loud, while others are maybe too afraid to even think about them, having already fraternized with Kudelia. In short, dastardly characters that can think like that are sometimes valuable to have around.

That being said, call me an optimist, but I don't think he's going to "betray" them, not unless he sees the Tekkadan ship start sinking. Even then, there are opportunities to develop him into a more compassionate character. Whatever the case, he's still a tossup. But I am worried he won't be around for too long because on the official website he's not listed as a major character.

By the way, has his name been mentioned already?
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 14:14   Link #82
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Yeah, instantly imagined 'a sleazeball who wanted to marry Kudelia with money'. Hopefully I'm wrong. Worse would him being a guy like Guin(∀), who will use Tekkadan and Kudelia as puppets to further his own agendas =01(though I guess he'll need to get SOMETHING out of the deal).
Kudelia described the guy as a "sponsor", which sounds a bit detached. I'd be very surprised if she thought the guy was acting out of charity. She probably would be willing to marry herself off to help liberate Mars but I doubt it'd be that simple. I'd guess the guy wants to undermine the groups currently supporting the suppression of Mars and put himself (or his group) in charge at least. I'd also guess that he has an interest in Gundams too - if we see him react strongly to images of Barbatos then that would confirm it. Another possibility is that he wants an excuse to raze Mars for some reason.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 15:37   Link #83
Darthtabby

I wasn't very positively inclined towards this series initially, but this episode won me over. Perhaps part of that was that the first two episodes were introducing so much different stuff. This episode seemed a little more focused.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 15:56   Link #84
Darthtabby

The discussion about the relative morality of this series' protagonists versus previous Gundam protagonists reminds me of this dialogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Panic: The Abridged Series, Episode 5
Kaname: So who are you anyways?
Sousuke: I'm a soldier from a secret mercenary group striving for world peace through hypocritically large amounts of violent force using mecha far more advanced than the rest of the world's.
Kaname: Celestial Being?
Sousuke: No, we're not nearly as big douchebags as them.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 16:18   Link #85
KnightShade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Oh yeah sure, destroying a shuttle full of pacifists with a beam saber and blowing up factories and military academies full of innocent workers and freshmen (in their sleep) is sooo much better than offing two thugs who had been oppressing and abusing Mika & his friends for god knows how long .
my thoughts exactly

lmao, the surplus of people complaining about mika just shows how many newer gundam fans are watching iron blood orphans
KnightShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 16:22   Link #86
Irenesharda

So Mika is basically the opposite of almost all Gundam protagonists. He's not naive, he's not wide-eyed, he's not a student, and rather than whine about killing others, he is perfectly willing to murder others in cold blood if it will help his comrades or if Orga tells him to....I like it!

And since Orga planned the whole thing and knows that Mika will do whatever he asks, he's just as cold.

I like the new name of Tekkadan, the "iron flower". And the boy is obviously into Atra. That bracelet is like his lucky charm or something. However, that just makes me fear for Atra even more.

I like how Kudelia has grown a bit with the group and is trying her best with them. She can of course talk to the more savvy Orga, but he's a very smart and careful leader. I just hope that he realizes that some of these First Group opportunists like "Hitler-mustache" may be trouble later.

And I wish Crank had had a better plan than simply a duel, but I guess him not responding back and Gjallarhorn Mars base being in the middle of inspections will give them some time.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 16:22   Link #87
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

I've been watching Gundam stuff since 2007, I am not a newbie.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 16:27   Link #88
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
my thoughts exactly

lmao, the surplus of people complaining about mika just shows how many newer gundam fans are watching iron blood orphans
Actually, DuelGundam is the only one complaining from a moral angle and I'm sure he's watched plenty of the older titles too (probably).

Although there are some others that don't entirely like the way Mika submits to Orga's decisions so easily, that's a completely seperate thing (and as far as I can see I think they've also watched the older titles as well).
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 16:28   Link #89
Wandering Soul

Orga is right, Mika really is full of contradictions. He could kill those guys from the first group and Crank mercilessly but he also cherishes the charm Atra gave him. He cherishes it enough to make sure that it doesn't end up smelling like blood when he is done fighting.

It's nice to see Kudelia has found some way to help the group and is gradually starting to find the battle that she is meant to fight. She is also helping the group through some of her cooking even if she's not the best at it. She even freaked out at Mika eating some of her cooking since she thought it was something no one with the exception of herself should eat.

The group may have money not but their financial issues can easily come back some time down the road. The fact that the first group is gone is still a plus though.
Old 2015-10-18, 16:30   Link #90
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

In the end, all of them are murderers. Everyone of them has, with intent and willingly, killed one or many unarmed soldiers or civilians who were not given the chance to fight back. And I'm saying this without any intent to judge them morally.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 16:30   Link #91
Arya

Excellent episode. Surely the brutality of the kills win me over instantly. But everything flows in sync with it, I mean, the grim tone of the show is perfect so far. I'm even starting to get accustomed to Orga's hairs
I'm as others glad to have a pilot who kills when he has to, not that I dislike otherwise, but it's refreshing and fits perfectly in this show, it couldn't be otherwise.
About Orga Mika relationship not sure what to think about it, Orga not kill demeanour has surely some explanation linked to the flashback, so I don't think he is using Mika nor Mika is being used by him. On the latter is more like he is just fine like that for now. Not sure what will happen if/when Orga decisions will diverge from Mika's. Surely they know each other like themselves. So both of them will know if that time is come.
Still, I don't find it particularly compelling like say Nicholas and Warrick from Gangsta, I loved it, here there's something off. Don't know if it's unintentional, or instead has been set up for future developments yet.

On a marginal note, I'm set already having the princess fall for Mika, but considering Atra got so much the highlights indirectly, smelling as childhood friend no less, I still have some hope to see some Orga Kudelia development. It's Okada after all.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 16:32   Link #92
KnightShade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Actually, DuelGundam is the only one complaining from a moral angle and I'm sure he's watched plenty of the older titles too (probably).

Although there are some others that don't entirely like the way Mika submits to Orga's decisions so easily, that's a completely seperate thing (and as far as I can see I think they've also watched the older titles as well).
ever heard of if the shoe fits ? i'm talking about the nurmerous others on reddit and mal who echo duel's sentiment, which i find hilarious regardless of how long him or they have been watching. gundam pilots being cold blood murderers didn't start with mika.
Old 2015-10-18, 16:36   Link #93
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Quote:
gundam pilots being cold blood murderers didn't start with mika.
All those guys had reasons. Mika.... Doesn't.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 16:37   Link #94
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's not about how long they've been fans. It's about whether they even try to judge things objectively, or just condemn whichever character they dislike while forgiving everything from the character they like.

Heck, you see that in politics too. The guy from the right party could eat babies and his supporters would still uphold him as a model of virtue, while the guy from the wrong party can't even jaywalk without being accused of treason.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 16:38   Link #95
KnightShade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
no comment
Old 2015-10-18, 16:43   Link #96
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Mika had reasons too.

When it came to the duel with Crank, Mika was following Orga's orders who was head of the base at the time.

When it came to the first group, he was still following Orga's plan and the first group was given a warning that if they were uncooperative and fought back they would die. That's a lot more then Wu Fei, Setsuna, and Heero gave.
Old 2015-10-18, 16:44   Link #97
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Quote:
All the resons the may had, they were noting better than those of Mika.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 16:47   Link #98
ReddyRedWolf

It occurs to me that Orga may not like killing people himself. Hence he said earlier he'd stop the mutiny if Mika says No.

While ransoming Kudelia would solve their problems financially and get in good graces of Gjallahorn he hesitated and ultimately decided he wont turn her over.

Orga may not be the immoral person some in this forum has proposed nor him treating Mika as a tool.

From a perspective Mika is the guy willing to take the burden of killing from Orga and serves as his break if he goes too far.

Remember the flashback Orga was injured but it was Mika who killed somebody.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 17:00   Link #99
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I believe the reason why you feel that way is because Mika does not act accordingly to his own will. Rather then that he submits to Orga and thus gives up on conscious decision making. This results in some other person making all the decisions for him.

Mika is like a sharp razor meant for slicing things up. It's comforting you do not have to decide on your destination (where to go next) yet it leaves you hollow and without life.

It'll be fun to watch when that razor becomes a blade once he uncovers his own desires. If by any chances he stays like this...well, that'd be a shame and a waste of protagonist.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Urei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-18, 17:02   Link #100
Twi

Wasn't Nobliss who Coral was expecting funding from in the second episode?
Sounds like he's playing both sides.