AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-08-22, 00:07   Link #1
Ultenth

Kimi ni Todoke - Reaching You [Manga]

I noticed that there wasn't a thread so far for this manga, which just recently won the 2008 Kodansha Manga Award for best shōjo manga, so I thought I'd throw one up for those that haven't heard of it, and see what others that have read it think of it.

Kimi ni Todoke (君に届け, Kimi ni Todoke? lit. Reaching you) is a romance shōjo manga by Karuho Shiina. It has been published by Shueisha in Bessatsu Margaret since 2006 and has 7 tankobon released so far (2 scanlated, none published outside of Japan yet).

Spoiler for pics:

Plot Summary: Sawako Kuronuma, called Sadako by her classmates for her resemblance to the character from Ring, has always been feared and misunderstood because of her appearance. There are rumors that Sawako can see ghosts and curse people. But when her idol, popular boy Kazehaya, begins talking with her, everything changes. She finds herself in a new world, trying to make friends and talking to different people and she can't thank Kazehaya enough for giving her these opputunities. Slowly, but surely, a sweet love is blossoming between the two as they will overtake any circumstance or clear obstacles in their way.

My thoughts: So far I really enjoy this series, and I'm hoping that it's recent award win will motivate either a publisher in the US or a scanlation group to pick it up so I can get up to date on it. It's a very cute one, and so far very happy-go lucky except the last chapter or so, but I really like the overall postive feel that it has, as opposed to the overly depressing and tragic feel of a lot of shōjo manga. I think future chapters probably get a bit more serious, but overall I really like how most of the main characters so far seem like actually good people, and not screwed up weirdos. It's nothing too spectacular in terms of original story or character designs, but I really enjoy the art. It's not too airy, nor too many weird bubbly or flowery backgrounds, which turn me off a lot of shōjo, mainly because it tends to make it hard to make out what is really going on in any scene because everything blends together at times.

The main character does somewhat remind me of a female version of the lead in Angel Densetsu, but only with the fact that they have disturbing visages and keep a positive and somewhat innocent outlook on life and people even though they often get treated like crap. Two girls that are her friends (Yano and Yoshida) are both great characters I think, I especially like how they aren't the usual girl or boy side-kicks in a lot of manga, and actually seem to have brains and don't just react in stereotypical ways.

Anywho, I hope someone picks up this manga, because I'd really like to catch up on it, I get a feeling it starts to get a bit more serious and dramatic from where the scans leave off, but if the beginning is any indication I have a feeling it will still be well executed and hopefully make me feel all warm and fuzzy when all is said and done.

Last edited by Ultenth; 2008-08-22 at 00:33.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-22, 00:31   Link #2
Sokar

Use your own server to host images, so it says.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-22, 00:34   Link #3
Ultenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokar View Post
Use your own server to host images, so it says.
Why whatever could you mean? I'm not sure what you're talking about!?
Old 2008-08-22, 10:39   Link #4
Nervous Venus

I see the pictures perfectly, Sokar.

BTW I purchased up to v7 of Kimi ni Todoke. I'll be honest. The beginning really bothered me. Sada - err - I mean Sawako felt too much like a ripoff of Hayakawa Tomoko's Sunako, except less amusing. I don't know, it just felt like she was trying too hard to go for the humor, and ended up a total "miss" for me. But I decided to continue this anyway, because I've read her other 6 volume work, Crazy For You, which had a decent story, though someone always came out with the short end of the stick [ cough #Akahoshi# cough].

I'm glad I didn't stop reading. After Sawako dropped the Sunako act, I saw something in her that was missing in Crazy's Sachi: a bumbling, giddy shyness in her approach to Kazehaya.

Anyway, if you could tell me where the scans left off, I might be able to do a summary for you like I did for the Sunadokei/BGI thread.
Old 2008-08-22, 10:46   Link #5
Sokar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus View Post
I see the pictures perfectly, Sokar.
He changed it, notice the shifty eyes in his post. And the fact he edited his post.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-22, 10:49   Link #6
Nervous Venus

LOL Sorry, didn't notice that at first.
Old 2008-08-22, 18:37   Link #7
ZODDGUTS

Really enjoying this series it's really great no wonder it's really popular in Japan and won awards. Enjoying this much more then The Wallflower which just didn't click with me got bored of that series after several volumes. Anyways I find Sawako to be a very loveable character love her acts eventhough she thinks she acting "normal" she really isn't making the scenes to be funny plus that weird laughs from her doesn't help either.

Also like how she tries her best to make friends and her reactions afterwords when she feels she's gotten closer to them I mean it's not like she's had a dramatic past it's just that she's really shy which made it hard for her to make friends. I'm liking how she's slowly opening up and being more talkative to people.

Last edited by ZODDGUTS; 2008-08-22 at 18:57.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-28, 22:06   Link #8
Ultenth

FYI, I managed to find ch 6-8 , so it looks like part of vol 3 is finally done. Hopefully they will either catch up to the current volume 7 sometime soon, or else maybe a publisher will pick it up. Either way, glad to see more of this story finally.
Old 2008-08-29, 04:16   Link #9
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Oh my, I started this series when there was like 3 chapters and the 3rd one has the most horrible cliffhanger ever, "she's being bullied/her friends thought she betrayed her!"

I was like, what, no more!? No, mai Sawako, no! Glad to know it's continued since then. I guess I'm going to catch up to the scans soon...
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 23:52   Link #10
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Look Interesting..I think I'll Read This manga
Old 2008-11-08, 06:51   Link #11
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I've just read all 8 translated chapters, and I find it to be a WONDERFUL piece of work. None of the stupid plot conventions I'm starting to hate so much in shoujo manga. I even got teary eyed at the end of chapter 7.

Sawako is such a funny and interesting character. I see alot of comparisions to her and The Wallflowers Sunako, but the only similiarity I see is the SD moments. Personally, she VERY much reminds me of Mihashi from Oofuri(Ookiku Furibatte...that baseball anime about the weird pitcher) not only in her mannerisms and facial expressions, but her admiration of Kazehaya is just like Mihashi's admiration of Abe, just in a more shoujo light.

Kazehaya, Yano, and Yoshida are excellent support characters. They not only compliment Sawako char emotionally, but comically as well. Ryu's good too, but there's not as much interaction with him as I'd like(except ch 8). Pin's antics are hiliarious, esp the 'running grandpa' thing he imagined.

Quick commenting on chap 8
Spoiler for ch 8:
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 19:44   Link #12
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^You've got to admit she's won out as a character with just her smile. It's the kind of smile guys fall in love for.

Chapter 8 was great, especially in developing Ryuu's underdeveloped character and hinting at his feelings. Like you I also found it funny how the pair tortured Prince Charming Kazehaya with their "cuddle up to Sawako" operation.

Moreover, I have to say it's interesting to see this manga subverts the shoujo convention by making the "adult"-looking pair the main character's best friends rather than evil bitches that many other shoujos out there make them all to be. Quite refreshing, really.

Two things I didn't like so far though (in the midst of many, many things to like):

1) The pretty, psycho girl character. It's arguably a necessary source of conflict, but I still don't like.

2) The author's habit of making chibis out of the characters, especially Sawako. She's really, really pretty in her "true form," but spends most of her time in stupid-chibi mode. Kind of like Sunako from the Wallflower, and it sucks.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-19, 18:00   Link #13
frubam
simp for Lyria

According to ANN, Viz will be picking up the manga and release it in July. FINALLY, i get to see what happens after chap 8. With all the crap floating around, I'm really surprised a manga of this caliber stopped getting worked on.
Old 2009-01-19, 19:02   Link #14
Ultenth

Sweet, with all the awards it has garned I'd been surprised that no one was still scanlating it, but it looks like at least it will be picked up legit, and hopefully they won't have too slow of a release schedule.
Old 2009-02-09, 16:06   Link #15
frubam
simp for Lyria

HOLY OMFG HELL!!! AN ANIME ADAPTATION!!!! OMG OMG OMG, I just CAN'T WAIT!!!!
Old 2009-02-09, 16:32   Link #16
Ultenth

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...pted-into-anme

I can't wait to find out more in terms of studio/cast/release dates. Also nice to know the manga is finally being picked up in the US, even though it's going on hiatus so she can have a baby.
Old 2009-02-09, 17:57   Link #17
frubam
simp for Lyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultenth View Post
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...pted-into-anme

I can't wait to find out more in terms of studio/cast/release dates. Also nice to know the manga is finally being picked up in the US, even though it's going on hiatus so she can have a baby.
Yeah, I'm hoping for a fall or winter release. I'm not really knowledgeable about studios, but a studio like whomever did H&C or BgI would be pretty good.

I'm willing to bet that by the time the US releases catch up to the scanlated chapters, the anime will be out already . Btw, how many chaps per vol anyway?

I also thought the mangaka was already on hiatus a month or two ago. Must have read the information wrong back then.
Old 2009-02-09, 22:57   Link #18
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Just started reading this and I can't stop. Quite a pretty heroine too.
SageGaiGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 16:36   Link #19
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

I'm a new comer to this manga ever since ANN's announcement of an anime two days ago. But my goodness, I can't put this thing down. I'm on my 2nd read-through of the first 8 volumes. I love Sawako. She strikes such a strong chord in me, and though her experiences are extreme, seeing her reminds me of my own struggles throughout high school and the wonderful friends I've made there. Agh, I can't get enough. I can hardly wait for the anime and the Viz releases.
khryoleoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-11, 21:25   Link #20
War_Lord
Modern Philosopher

Sawako has her cute moments, but for the most part she creeps me out. Nonetheless I'd like to see more chapters.

Tags
manga, shoujo, romance