AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-27, 02:16   Link #1221
novalysis

Curse of the One Cour strikes again then? So long as animes of this genre are only restrictied to one Cour of length , I doubt we are going to see a Romance Anime of a quality better than Clannad anytime soon.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-27, 02:33   Link #1222
xKeir
Upon a wishing Star

Maybe its just me.

I'm so going off topic but anyway ...

Spoiler for Comparison to Clannad:

I just feel that the main focus isn't much about Love between a couple like Mashiro Iro Symphony but how people face problems in Life and deal/accept them. Maybe its cuz i'm too into the stories of each of the characters in Clannad. I really liked the show cuz of their individual problems but not much about the romance between them.
I liked Mashiro iro Symphony because of the Romance between the characters. Not really because of the Life they've lead.
Thats just me.

-edit- and i get that im not making any sense. I just can't put it in the right words.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-12-27 at 02:55. Reason: Added spoiler tags, just to be extra safe in case someone hasn't watched Clannad yet (why not?! :p )
xKeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-27, 03:05   Link #1223
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Curse of the One Cour strikes again then? So long as animes of this genre are only restrictied to one Cour of length , I doubt we are going to see a Romance Anime of a quality better than Clannad anytime soon.
Indeed, I think it's very difficult to adapt this sort of game in only 12 episodes and do it any sort of justice, which is why I'm all the more appreciative for what they did here. They actually managed to tell rather elaborate stories for multiple heroines and blend them in such a way that it contributed to a central theme that was actually coherent and made sense (and was much more nuanced than just "who'd he choose?!"). Of course, I'd love it if more shows could be given double or quadruple the episode count so they could come close to the amount of time the game has to convey these subtleties... but I don't know if we'll ever see another show like Clannad in that respect. In the meantime, there's a certain inescapable reality that some things can only be found in the game.
Old 2011-12-27, 03:51   Link #1224
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Episode 12:

- Miu end. Free Willy end.

- Looks like Manglobe spent a lot of cash for the Pannya/Mamanya reunion scene. It had an insert song, people crying, the works. I looked at the end credits and yep, Mamanya, Pannya and Renka are all voiced by the same seiyuu Harumi Sakurai. I wish I had the chance to see her in action at the recording studio.

- Minor nitpick: pannya seemed to be a lot bigger in size in the previous episodes. I guess when Mamanya and her child came along Manglobe realised they have yet to denote a proper size for her, and had to shrink her a bit so she can fit well aesthetically in the middle of the Nya-Pagoda.

-----------------------------------------------------

Mashiroiro Symphony:

- These kinds of VN adaptations usually have really awkward dialogue in its anime form, but Mashifoni's dialogue was mostly good. The writing, though simple, did not make the characters look more stupid than they should be, and complimented the characters sincerity well.

- The girls were all adorable, and the guys weren't stupid, bratty or arrogant. Though there is only two recurring guys in this story though. Sana turned from my least favorite character in the beginning to my favorite character in the end. To think what might've been if Manglobe adapted Airi's route...

- Music was pleasant and effective in the emotional scenes. Art was for the most part consistent, but could've benefited from some variety in coloring and lighting.

- Sad thing is that though the atmosphere in this anime was pretty good, I enjoyed the much more lively air in the VN more. The VN uses humor and typical anime iconography to achieve this, along with much more upbeat music.
Spoiler for Compared to VN:

- But nitpicks are just nitpicks. Overall this was highly enjoyable, the romantic conclusion was satisfying, and the series could also pass as those animal movies. Except its a TV series.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-27, 11:25   Link #1225
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Nuko radio 7 with Sakurai Harumi as the guest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy4PEy8Uqzc

Also there will be another one after 2 weeks, but the guest is not announced yet
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-27, 13:45   Link #1226
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I like Clannad a bit more than I do Mashiro-iro Symphony, but then Clannad is one of my 10 favorite anime shows of all-time, and Clannad had the huge benefit of four cours to work with. If Clannad had been stuck with just one cour to work with, I suspect that many of its strengths would have been downgraded significantly, leaving it more or less where Mashiro-iro Symphony is now.

And one area where I will give the edge to Mashiro-iro Symphony is in the main romance. As much as I love Tomoya/Nagisa, it would have been nice if they had a couple more lovey-dovey romantic scenes like what Shingo/Miu had.

Overall, I'm inclined to agree with xKeir on the Clannad/Mashiro-iro Symphony comparison.
Old 2011-12-27, 14:25   Link #1227
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I don't pretend to be a Clannad lover, but Clannad's strong point is not its romance. It explores the theme of family much more.

If you want a real romance anime, Bogura ga Ita accomplishes so much more on that front.

Even within the VN medium for romance animes, I think ~ef was a much better romance tale.

--------

Anyways just got around to finishing Mashiro-Iro. Satisfying enough ending I suppose. The show was a solid 20 minutes of relaxation for me every week with all its pleasant characters and its atmosphere. I don't consider it the most memorable show by any means, but perhaps one of the better works in the genre (anime medium that is). Just an overall, pleasant watch start to finish.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-27, 19:53   Link #1228
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Yup, that's exactly what I thought about while being irked by Mashiroiro so much. I don't have the time to rewatch that series, but I remember that while TomoyaXNagisa was decided on very early, other characters' arcs still occurred, and they were developed even when it wasn't their arc. That's different than here, where the other girls basically faded into the background, except for Sana whose story is intertwined with Miu's.
Clannad is a big exception in that case. Because every route has major importance to nagisa's route. Unlike mashiro whose arcs are seperate from each other; in Clannad, every route was like a piece of a puzzle added into nagisa's route which leads to the true end of after story.
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-27, 20:52   Link #1229
hyl
reading #hikaributts

In my opinion, Clannad and Mashiphony don't have that much in common when it comes to theme,romance, story, characters, settings and the drama.

Just for fun , a screenshot of an evil looking Pannya to support my mastermind theories.

(this image has not been editted, Pannya actually has that face once or twice in some stories)
Old 2011-12-28, 02:44   Link #1230
MeganeShounen
Huh?

Just managed to marathon the last few episodes straight today, after X-mas (how fitting). I almost felt a few tears form around my eyes when I saw Mamanya crying for her missing daughter(?).

Spoiler for ending thoughts:

To wrap it up... I can say that this show was my weekly dose of healing. No action, nothing mind-boggling, a bit different from what the last season had to offer.

And yeah, I'm glad I've actually found another suitable show that I can recommend to female friends. The amount of tension, drama and heart-warming seems suitable to me.
MeganeShounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 14:02   Link #1231
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
In my opinion, Clannad and Mashiphony don't have that much in common when it comes to theme,romance, story, characters, settings and the drama.

Just for fun , a screenshot of an evil looking Pannya to support my mastermind theories.

(this image has not been editted, Pannya actually has that face once or twice in some stories)
Pannya does scouting work for a certain group of aliens that look for teenage girls to contract with and take Entropy-fighting energy from.

Pannya genuinely liked Miu and her friends so he spared them, but some of the girls at Shingo's school... man, they met with some sad ends. One ended up becoming a head-eating monster.
Old 2011-12-28, 14:32   Link #1232
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well thought I'd toss up my small review of the series here.

Spoiler for For space:
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 14:36   Link #1233
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Well thought I'd toss up my small review of the series here.

Spoiler for For space:
Nice review.
Old 2011-12-28, 18:37   Link #1234
Zavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Nuko radio 7 with Sakurai Harumi as the guest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy4PEy8Uqzc

Also there will be another one after 2 weeks, but the guest is not announced yet
It's a bit late, but I love that short skit they did at the beginning (still listening to it)...

Spoiler for lololol:
Old 2011-12-28, 19:48   Link #1235
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
It's a bit late, but I love that short skit they did at the beginning (still listening to it)...

Spoiler for lololol:
Spoiler for spoiler drama:
Old 2011-12-31, 22:02   Link #1236
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Sometimes I question myself for watching shows that I know I won't like. We've got an all-girls' school suddenly going coed and just as luck would have it our unassuming main character in Shingo Uryu is one of the first students to attend the place due to this change. One guy and a whole lot of girls from a single-sex environment; here comes a sudden fascination with the opposite sex, a slew of panty shots, and a female ensemble with no self-respect!

If nothing else, stereotypes can nail the first trope to an extent, the second one not so much, and the last convention as non-existent. Mashiro-Iro Symphony is a prime example of how any story can be good if you put enough effort into it.

But okay. I'd be lying if I said there weren't any instances of a girl's body being compromised in this show, but it isn't anywhere close to the gratuity or ubiquity of its contemporaries; one can chalk-up the fanservice as a side effect of the situation rather than the cause itself, and it's possible to count the number of blatant titillation attempts on one hand. Furthermore, the last bit of exposure is actually handled quite seriously, indeed showing the respect this anime shows towards its audience, and more importantly, its female cast.

Because in a genre that practically puts its girls on exhibition, only one of them throws herself on Uryu, and given the reasons for her archetype it makes a lot of sense. In fact his final decision can be better described as a pursuit than a reciprocation. It makes the romance all the more rewarding when the lead has to work for the catch, rather than the options being handed down on a silver platter. That isn't to say the show's bachelor didn't catch anyone's eye, but even as he becomes all they can think about, we can still think about them without bringing it back to him.

Still, it isn't a good romance without good relationships, something which this show realizes. In hindsight the dynamics are predictable, though the unveiling much less so. It lacks any one element to really hook the viewer in, instead relying on a delicate balance of liveliness which never overtakes the show's subtlety or atmosphere. The transition from one arc to another is also seamless and there's enough of a set-up early on for future events, and hinting at who the show decides will be the OTP.

Unfortunately, the show isn't without its problems. One arc's start makes no sense considering there's no indication that the reason has interfered with its heroines motivation, while another arc ends with far too much sexual tension to just have it fade into the background without a concrete answer from either side. It especially doesn't help that the former's conclusion undermines the decision made in the first place, effectively wasting time that could have been spent on that open-ended thread alluded to.

Still, Mashiro-Iro Symphony's qualities outweigh and outnumber its flaws by far, and it's not only surprisingly good, it's just straight-up good period. A shame that most people are going to overlook this because lolharemcrap, but give this one a try and you'll be convinced that any kind of story can be good if you give enough of a damn about it (manglobe certainly did).
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 08:49   Link #1237
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Next week nuko radio guest has been announced 11 hours ago and expected it's Rikimaru Noriko.

edit: the only interesting mashiphony items from c81 besides the new Airi dakimakura and the Pannya parka are the new books from Tsubasu Izumi.

Old 2012-01-01, 12:29   Link #1238
Candyshark

who is an artist of another book?
Candyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 12:57   Link #1239
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Those books were both drawn by Tsubasu Izumi, the original character designer of Mashiro iro Symphony. In almost every comiket she releases a small artbook called colorful pop and this time she also drew of what i think it's a small manga of Mashiphony called "colorful sinfonia"
Old 2012-01-02, 07:41   Link #1240
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Without any announcement the creators of the Sena Airi android app also released a new app with Amaha Miu a few days ago on the google android market site.
You still need a phone with atleast an android 2.3.x and either a japanese phone/sim or a rooted phone with market enabler to install it though.
Also unlike the Airi app, the Miu add-on is not free.

edit: taken from my webcam

edit: In a small cast talk after the final episode if Mizushima would have picked a girl, he would have choosen Sakuno. lol

Last edited by hyl; 2012-01-02 at 13:50.

Tags
eroge, romance, seinen