2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.25%
1 out of 10 : Painful 14 1.72%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-03, 21:15   Link #1281
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Well its not like the person fulfilling the command goes entirely brain-dead while the command is carried out. They'll be conscious during its effects, as is everyone who gets spoken to when a command is being fulfilled (for example, the Intel guys speaking to Suzaku about there being nothing to report). Its just that they won't remember it afterwards.
Remember how the Intel guys acted upon repeated questioning? They just kept giving the same answer. They weren't capable of acting or even thinking outside the bounds of their order.

Quote:
I just think that if he works with the command, he's able to choose the other, less-effective methods of survival, such as throwing spears at giant antimatter explosions.
At that range he couldn't have run even if he wanted to, so throwing the spear at the giant explosion really was the only option.
Old 2009-08-03, 21:22   Link #1282
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
Remember how the Intel guys acted upon repeated questioning? They just kept giving the same answer. They weren't capable of acting or even thinking outside the bounds of their order.
Well, that's probably because Suzaku was asking them something that activated their command. Having them report would trigger them to say nothing was amiss. Had he tried holding a conversation with them about something else, they probably would've acted normally.

Quote:
At that range he couldn't have run even if he wanted to, so throwing the spear at the giant explosion really was the only option.
Well, not necessarily. He was in the Lancelot Albion at the time, and that and the Guren SEITEN are insanely fast. Besides, if Guilford could nearly make it in his Vincent...
Old 2009-08-03, 21:27   Link #1283
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Well, that's probably because Suzaku was asking them something that activated their command. Having them report would trigger them to say nothing was amiss. Had he tried holding a conversation with them about something else, they probably would've acted normally.
As long as it didn't involve Lelouch. Whatever order Lelouch gave them, apparently it only had one answer in mind.

Quote:
Well, not necessarily. He was in the Lancelot Albion at the time, and that and the Guren SEITEN are insanely fast. Besides, if Guilford could nearly make it in his Vincent...
True enough, though Guilford was on the edge and thus did not so much run as avoid the unpleasant fate of being vaporized.
Old 2009-08-04, 01:02   Link #1284
Charred Knight

Quote:
Well its not like the person fulfilling the command goes entirely brain-dead while the command is carried out. They'll be conscious during its effects, as is everyone who gets spoken to when a command is being fulfilled (for example, the Intel guys speaking to Suzaku about there being nothing to report). Its just that they won't remember it afterwards.

Usually, the command is some specific instruction, like "Fetch me a rock," or "Deliver this toothpick". "Live" is a pretty vague command, and can be fulfilled a number of ways. I imagine that the command Suzaku has, when he attempts to resist it or doesn't work with it, makes him do the easiest method of fulfilling it: Get the hell out of the way. Simple and effective.

I just think that if he works with the command, he's able to choose the other, less-effective methods of survival, such as throwing spears at giant antimatter explosions.
It has been shown several times not to be the case. That's what so disgusting about Lelouch's ability, they are not concious of it, they are merely robots. It has been shown throughout the series to be the case. From the first episode when the soldiers giggled as they killed themselves.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 01:18   Link #1285
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
So, I am to believe that killing yourself because of a Geass command is less of a reason to resist than staying alive? Yeah, right...
Here is a review I wrote some time ago about the series.

Spoiler for spoilers about the series follow:
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 01:23   Link #1286
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
So, I am to believe that killing yourself because of a Geass command is less of a reason to resist than staying alive? Yeah, right...
Here is a review I wrote some time ago about the series.

Spoiler for spoilers about the series follow:
I'm kind of curious, do you ever plan to contribute to discussion on these shows or do you simply plan to post reviews from animedb and then bolt. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but there's a whole lot more to this forum then that. Anyway I could make the exact same points about this very subjective and over simplified analysis of the series as I did with your Gundam 00 one, but then I'd just be repeating myself. In any case I loled. Over the top and very negative, but not very helpful or easy to take seriously for anybody considering the show and looking for a solid review.

Quote:
As long as it didn't involve Lelouch. Whatever order Lelouch gave them, apparently it only had one answer in mind.

True enough, though Guilford was on the edge and thus did not so much run as avoid the unpleasant fate of being vaporized.
No clearly because we didn't see him outright get vaporized he must have been dead and thus he was ressurected. Of course I'm just saying this before anyone else brings up the same old gripes, I don't actually believe it. If one has any sort of imagination of course they could accept that there is always a possibility he could still have survived. Of course since we don't know how it will just turn into a bitching match between people who want their griping point and people who just don't care enough to arbitrarily disallow his survival and want to theorize about how he lived. Two very different classes of people seem to have watched this show and oddly enough they are about equal in number. Mostly for the second season though and after it got popular. I notice the old school mecha heads are far more open minded about the whole experience of Code Geass.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 01:42   Link #1287
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
not very helpful or easy to take seriously for anybody considering the show and looking for a solid review.
Did you just excused yourself with this line? Why is it not serious? Yapping how great Lelouch was without excusing anything ain't better. Provide counter-opinions or don't vaguely bash the opinions stated.
Old 2009-08-04, 01:57   Link #1288
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Did you just excused yourself with this line? Why is it not serious? Yapping how great Lelouch was without excusing anything ain't better. Provide counter-opinions or don't vaguely bash the opinions stated.
I'm not providing any more counter opinions or coniderations to something done in long review format today. I already did that early on the Gundam 00 subforum (and believe me it took a long time) and you never bothered to respond so I figured you just didn't really care and thus simply said that the same things apply here (especially since large portions of that analysis and this one match up word for word). If you want to pick something specific out I'll be glad to talk about it, otherwise it's your review and I'm just going to describe how it comes across in that regard.

Why it's not hard to take serious though is pretty easy to answer. It's simply the language you use. It comes across more like a sarcastic and comedic review then a serious one. This is before you try to simplify and shoehorn everything into a specific category such as fanservice or "stupid/idiotic". If you're absolutely sure of what you wrote then you can start giving examples for whatever point you want to make and maybe then I'll see it in a different light. You posted the review so it's kind of up to you to support it, not for me to pick out random points to issue counter-opinions too and especially not when I can't even rationalize most of it with the show I watched yet. I'm not that interested in proving/disproving anything yet, but rather about trying to comprehend what it is you are trying to accomplish with this review. Is it to warn people from watching the show? Is it to criticize something you see as an overly popular show (right now this seems the most likely reason given your " It’s no.1 in anidb, so it is obviously omnipotent." comment)? Or is it simply just something you did to pass the time here?

Edit: Actually wait, here's the perfect thing to touch upon:

Quote:
The funny thing is, that the majority of the fans didn’t care about all that and just loved the whole insanity of the deal. The “whatever” pace of the story was dubbed “unpredictability” and went along with it. Because once again, the average otaku’s opinion states that the majority of people don’t watch a story so to be troubled with social-political issues or think deep and get philosophical. They watch a series so that they will be entertained. And the producers did exactly that. They focused on what would entertain their audience and not on remaining true to the initial premise of the story. So, the general story may be great but the presentation of it sucked big time. And since the fans didn’t care much, the producers kept doing the same.
1. What makes you think the majority of the fans watched the show this way? Rather what leads you to speak for everyone else in this regard?
2. What is the "whatever" pace of the story.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-08-04 at 02:19.
Old 2009-08-04, 05:28   Link #1289
roriconfan
Banned

Well, if you put it like that, I usually write in a sarcastic and comedic way. Also, I consider this anime to be a silly series trying to pass for serious, just because it had more variety and out-of-place events presented as plot twists than most other anime. Thus, the tone was inserted on its own as such.

It is to warn people about what I think the series is and un-deify it a lot, since I hardly consider it to be as good as it passes to be.

And the part you made a comment about is true. Most people do watch anime or television or movies for such a reason. Famous series are not the same as masterwork series, yet they get far higher marks because of hype.

By "whatever" I meant the bad editing of the scenes in the second season.
Old 2009-08-04, 13:03   Link #1290
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Well, if you put it like that, I usually write in a sarcastic and comedic way. Also, I consider this anime to be a silly series trying to pass for serious, just because it had more variety and out-of-place events presented as plot twists than most other anime. Thus, the tone was inserted on its own as such.

It is to warn people about what I think the series is and un-deify it a lot, since I hardly consider it to be as good as it passes to be.

And the part you made a comment about is true. Most people do watch anime or television or movies for such a reason. Famous series are not the same as masterwork series, yet they get far higher marks because of hype.

By "whatever" I meant the bad editing of the scenes in the second season.
See there you go, I knew it was a cause review. After all I am sort of familiar with your commentary in other places (animedb to name one) regarding being disatisified with shows you find overrated and rooting for them to fail. Anyway, if you want to do that with a review you should honestly work to mitigate the language in it a little more if you want people to consider it. People that agree with you will like it, but if you are trying to warn people to steer clear they are going to see what you've written and probably look for a second opinion.
Old 2009-08-04, 14:34   Link #1291
roriconfan
Banned

A second opinion is a good thing for everything. It's just that I want to be this second opinion. Not the first. And the review is written with this in mind. Also, the series was still the most awesome thing ever when I wrote the review, pretty much the same happens with every anime that just ended. I supposed everyone reading it would have already heard what an awesome series it is. Maybe now that things calm down it feels extreme but it was very counter-extreme back then.

Anyway, I write reviews to steam out and entertain the readers, not to directly brainwash them. Most don't read long reviews full of linguistic supermancy to begin with, so I like this breezy style. It is not a school essay, ya know? I have fun writting reviews.
Old 2009-08-04, 14:34   Link #1292
Xander

There are a number of issues regarding this review that could be further discussed, particularly considering specific details that are not addressed at all outside of arguable general statements, but I want to focus on just one of them at the moment.

Quote:
Conclusion 0/2: The first season, ended with a cliffhanger (a rushed and lame one, if you ask me), so this part would be a zero. The second season does a much better job at presenting a solid and concrete ending. It appears epic, it appears sad, and it appears to make the fans bow in respect and forget all the nonsense in the story so far, just because of it. And I say, “appears” because it is NOT solid or concrete. Really, if you read through the lines you will realize it was just another cliffhanger. Planning for a third season is already underway, ruining any satisfaction you may have had from an apparent finale. Meaning, the scriptwriters took us for suckers and keep milking the cow.
First, it would be complete and utter speculation to speak about "planning for a third season" right now because that's not something that accurately reflects known facts. That statement is highly misleading at worst and very subjective at best.

Second, even if that were to become true, at this point it is only a hypothesis. A series should be judged on its own merits, not based on a non-existent production that may or may not be relevant to what has already happened. This attitude seems to have a lot of prejudice, considering it would be entirely possible for Sunrise to make a new spin-off with no real link to the existing storyline.

Gundam does that all the time. More Code Geass does not mean that the ending to the second season will become a "cliffhanger" since an alternate universe could easily be created instead. Unless you own a crystal ball, that is.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 14:37   Link #1293
roriconfan
Banned

Well, it wasn't official back then and I still think a new season will be announced any moment now. I will edit this part if nothing new comes up in a month.
Old 2009-08-04, 17:01   Link #1294
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
A second opinion is a good thing for everything. It's just that I want to be this second opinion. Not the first. And the review is written with this in mind. Also, the series was still the most awesome thing ever when I wrote the review, pretty much the same happens with every anime that just ended. I supposed everyone reading it would have already heard what an awesome series it is. Maybe now that things calm down it feels extreme but it was very counter-extreme back then.

Anyway, I write reviews to steam out and entertain the readers, not to directly brainwash them. Most don't read long reviews full of linguistic supermancy to begin with, so I like this breezy style. It is not a school essay, ya know? I have fun writting reviews.
You know what, I can sort of dig that, but the problem is that people that write about Code Geass are generally already pretty negative, and actually moreso than you. It's the silent people that make up the crowd that brought into the ranks of the top anime on most aggregator sites.
Old 2009-08-12, 14:07   Link #1295
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
You know what, I can sort of dig that, but the problem is that people that write about Code Geass are generally already pretty negative, and actually moreso than you. It's the silent people that make up the crowd that brought into the ranks of the top anime on most aggregator sites.
Meh, I don't blame them. If I like a series myself, I usually have nothing to say about it. Yet, mentioning the faults and arguing about it can fill encyclopedias.The spice flows in imperfection after all.

Anyway, the stuff about editing my review two posts up? Won't happen. I hear they will make a remake of the second season. Official statement in a few months.

And if it happens (which most likely will because it's a goose that lays gold eggs) I will yell "I told you so and you knew it all along".
Old 2009-08-14, 10:14   Link #1296
Xander

Quote:
Anyway, the stuff about editing my review two posts up? Won't happen. I hear they will make a remake of the second season. Official statement in a few months.
I do hope you're not confusing darthfury78's personal speculations, all of which have been debated many times in the past, with something actually substantial. He wants to see a remake, but that's more because of his own hopes and expectations than something directly supported by the evidence.

Quote:
And if it happens (which most likely will because it's a goose that lays gold eggs) I will yell "I told you so and you knew it all along".
Gundam is by far the biggest goose and very few actual remakes exist, as opposed to new spin-offs and alternate universe series. Another Code Geass production will probably happen, sooner or later, but that says nothing about what it will be.

I think it's far more likely to see other alternatives rather than a remake, much less a full length one instead of a movie retelling or something along different lines.

Assuming otherwise seems to be making a greater leap, since you're going against precedent.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 23:30   Link #1297
Charred Knight

Remaking Code Geass R2 would be the equivalent of Taniguchi and Okouchi saying "We fucked up", they are not going to do that, Taniguchi and Okouchi are much to proud for that.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 02:38   Link #1298
roriconfan
Banned

^What if they were offered a very big pile of money?
Old 2009-08-17, 02:57   Link #1299
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
then they would be able to say "we're not just doing it for money... we're doing it for a shitload of money"
which changes things somewhat

and its not like they havent outright stated that R2 was not according to plans
Old 2009-08-17, 03:06   Link #1300
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Sunrise is a pretty versatile company with a lot of industry access, funding, clout and in my opinion some pretty imaginative people working in it so if they want to make more Code Geass they'll find a way to work it out. I'll also point to this:

Spoiler for U.C Gundam/Char's Counterattack: