AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-15, 08:19   Link #21
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

With lessons from EVE and DayZ: Form a group with people one trusts, gather gear (AH, crafting, least risk), trust no one else (Avoid or kill in self-defense) and progress with caution... Too bad that even then you'll probably die from something random or break a leg from seemingly nothing. Like falling off ladders. I'm looking at you, DayZ.

Or as the poster above me, wait. Establish a life in the game as a trader or whatnot and wait.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 08:23   Link #22
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Note that this is mostly what ended up happening.
I've read the novels, mate. ;D

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 08:34   Link #23
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by grylsyjaeger View Post
I've read the novels, mate. ;D
Apart from my skills in debating and expanding TV Tropes pages, I have also mastered the non-combat skill Captain Obvious. ;D

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 08:36   Link #24
Rovert10

Find friends determined to beat the game like you do.

At least then you know you all have the same goal and lessen the chance of being back stabbed.

I don't want to hide around. I'd rather get out as soon as possible.
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 08:37   Link #25
Imba

Actually I would not mind if I was stuck in a world such as that in SAO, even if my life could be in danger. Given the choice I would probably take part in such game willingly and maybe even be happy about it

1. First of all I would try forming small and very dependable, thrust-worthy party, maybe 3 members tops and that is including me. This ofc is way easier said than done, so I might end up alone. The only thing staying alone will alter in my overall strategy is that I would have to be extra careful with its next parts.

1,5. Practice and figure out all skills that are in my disposal from the start and as I learn them. Know myself perfectly and in every way.

2. I will start leveling and gathering materials/gear, using my extensive gaming experience and learning from the experiences and mistakes of other players in the current game to gain every single advantage possible, no matter how tiny it is.

3. Carefully plan how I use my resources, provisions and materials.

4. I will be choosing my battles extremely carefully. Not throwing myself into battle that is impossible to win, yet looking for battle with good risk/reward ratio. Knowing myself, I would also try to take down extra hard opponents that would push me to my limit and above if the reward is good enough and I think I can survive.

5. Plan every battle and every possible situation extensively, taking into consideration best and worse than worst case scenarios. I actually do that in real life and am rarely surprised by anything. Ofc in such a game I will do this way more and be much more serious about it.

6. (I am assuming the game is free to PK). I will never try to PK except in self-defense, it is against my morals. That being said I will not hesitate to defend myself with lethal force if needed. However I would like to avoid such conflict and thus will be extremely careful with every other player around me, to some extent even with my party if I form one.

7. Normally rpg`s have static worlds, they can change by themselves to some extent, but they are static in their entirety. However this game would have a human game master who is like a god in this world and can most certainly manipulate it at will. I will always keep that in mind. It means that unexpected situations should be expected and planed for, it means that a combat easy or opponent withing my skill level could turn into a death battle, it means so many things it would take a whole thread just to try to cover them.

8. I will be extra careful regarding traps, be it in dungeons or the over-world, hell even in the city areas.

9. Always know as much as possible about my enemy. I will also try to make the most of the fact that I read The Art of War, without going out of my way to follow the book.

10. Never take information gathered from someone else as completely or even remotely true.

11. I would help random someone in need, but I would try to do that only if I know I can make a difference and get away with it. Throwing myself in a fight against an impossible enemy for a complete stranger is not something that I would do, tho I know I will not be pleased with myself at all.

So basically I will play the hell out of the game, and will have the time of my life. I also believe that thru battle and life/death situations is the best if not the only way to meet TRUE friends, so if I survive the game, my real life friends may grow in number which is always good.
Imba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 11:14   Link #26
Utsuro no Hako

Determine whether NPCs are capable of sex. If they are, establish a virtual harem and pray that nobody ever clears the game.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 11:16   Link #27
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFallout View Post
With lessons from EVE and DayZ: Form a group with people one trusts, gather gear (AH, crafting, least risk), trust no one else (Avoid or kill in self-defense) and progress with caution... Too bad that even then you'll probably die from something random or break a leg from seemingly nothing. Like falling off ladders. I'm looking at you, DayZ.

Or as the poster above me, wait. Establish a life in the game as a trader or whatnot and wait.
*high-fives a fellow Capsuleer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Determine whether NPCs are capable of sex. If they are, establish a virtual harem and pray that nobody ever clears the game.
You naughty one you
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 11:39   Link #28
Kafriel
Senior Guest

What I would do:

Day 1

Learn the UI, check out tutorials and stuff, see how many skills and sword types can be used. Decide which one would be best to start off with and grind a bit with beginner gear to get it.

Day 2

Seek out a party member, get to know them, see if they know any more about the game than me. Grind together since it's always more effective to duo maps and dungeons. Focus on gold and materials rather than exp, strategize the use of AP/SP or whatever the game provides. Upgrade my gear and skills, pick up a third member, study the bestiary with them, if one is provided (e.g. we should have all kinds of weapons, like piercing/slash/blunt so as to be able to deal with any enemy).

Day 3

Find out the 1st boss' level and take it on with an expedition if there is one. If there isn't or if it has been defeated, the most mobile of the party should search for the next best area to grind while the other two kept a spot occupied.

Day 4

With a couple of days under our belts, we should be of a good enough level and decent gear to join a guild. Learn more things about advanced gameplay and stuff, check out which items give certain stat boosts and where they drop, grind if their drop rates are 10% or more and the mobs that drop them have a maximum of 1h respawn rate. Help out lower-level guildies, earn their trust, make the guild feel like home.

Day 5

Pick up the pace, organize raids, clear more floors, learn new skills, have some people get dodge/def gear and act as scouts/tanks, have others learn block skills and counters to read enemy attack patterns, focus on single-hit skills with high success rate and attack along with a dual wielder with high dps so as to be able to take on anything.

Day 6

Clear the game, save everyone, kick the hooded man in his digital nuts and become the hero the world needs.

Day 19

...start new game+
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 13:00   Link #29
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i will do i normally in a rpg game. Over level in the lower levels. Save the cash for better equipment. Take up a craft to help earn money.

Skills i will be using

Two-handed Sword
Light Metal Equipment
Blade Throwing
Parry
Battle Healing
Searching
Tracking
Hiding
Night Vision
Extended Weight Limit
Sprint
Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
and what Utsuro is doing.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2012-07-16 at 00:30.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 14:05   Link #30
Daisu
Strange New World
*Graphic Designer

I would probably group with a few players and try using terrian to our advantage to kill powerful foes so can used droped treasure to our advantage.
I play lots of MMOs and usually what I do. It would be hard not to go slow becuase I have a completionist/collecting urge when playing.
Old 2012-07-16, 10:43   Link #31
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The first and foremost thing I would do is gathering as much information as possible, even if it means to pay someone for that.
Information is essential to determine various points in any game, even more so in MMORPG: how stats work (assuming you have to select stats to increase by yourself, which can lead to a dramatic change of character), gear, mobs stats/pattern/loot, quests, etc.

Second would naturally having a good grasp of the abilities of the characters and how to have an efficient arsenal of skills so one can be self sufficient (as much as having specialized players in a party can work wonder, that's assuming none will die during the journey, and having a substitute is unlikely considering the number of players will never increase). So being able to be self sufficient is a key factor for survival, should the worst scenario occurs (surprise "adds", traps, incoming PK, betrayals, etc).

Finally, again related to information, having a good understanding of the market and how things can be managed in order to always have a decent income/supply of materials. That is, having the possibility not to be dependant of certain merchants that can potentially control you completely should you are forced to deal with them for your mere basic needs.

But really, information is really the vital foundation of survival.
Suffice to say, having social skills help a lot, but I would rather build a reputation without standing out too much: too much attention can lead to obnoxious issues, and being to much relied on might be more bothersome on the long run, assuming you made a slight mistake. It is also the reason why I wouldn't really bother making a party early on, unless I know that person IRL beforehand. Past that, dealing with only people keen for trustworthy relationships would be the preferable parteners, and that is only after a a moderate period of time has elapsed.
Old 2012-07-16, 11:35   Link #32
zgmf-x19a
Divine Gundam Pilot

Information would be key to survival so I'd gather as much as possible and if possible I'd try to find a beta player and team up with him/her.
Finding a group with similar goals to mine (clearing the game while making survival the highest priority).
As Klashikari mentioned before developing skills to be self sufficient in case the worst happens.
Personally I do hope that people would collaborate so that items/materials don't cost a fortune if not then manage to keep a steady income and raw supply material.
If we are locked in a MMORPG where magic can be used except resurrection spells then I guess most people would choose to be healers to ensure their own survival.Tanks and damage dealers would be valuable but that would also raise another question would you trust your life to someone else?
The healer in the back may leave you to die if he/she thinks that it's a lost cause and decide to save himself/herself.
Old 2012-07-16, 11:39   Link #33
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The problem of being healer is that you have an extremely high responsibility befelling on your shoulders, and you are the first to be blamed should someone dies.
Moreso, you will also be asked left and right by countless players if the number of healers is low, even if you are already part of a guild/regular party. Finally, if you don't have a specific party or forced to solo some part of the game, a lot of issues will occur, unless the game permits healers to have a satisfying DPS without too much "talent restriction" issues, which is unlikely as healers are definitely the class that game developpers would NOT want to be a jack of trade.

Healers are of course a good insurance and solution to avoid premature deaths due to items not being as effective as healer's abilities, but at the same time, being a healer is really not something that "straightfoward". That being said, if any ability allows you to tend your own wounds to an alright degree (such like first aid), that would be something invaluable for self sufficient requirement.

But frankly, having a dedicated healer in such situations would be really close to a miracle.
Old 2012-07-16, 12:01   Link #34
zgmf-x19a
Divine Gundam Pilot

Being able to heal is already in itself a godlike skill.You can't have a healer that can dish out loads of damage that would be unrealistic and unwanted by the game makers.

In all MMORPG a lot of people like to play DD while a small portion of people are healers and tanks.
That's why healers and tanks are the most wanted for any party.
But in a game where death is permanent I think the rules would change I think most people would be playing healers.

Like you said before being a healer means holding a lot of responsibilities and that's why most people would not trust their life to someone else so they'd rather be a healer and ensure their own survival.We would likely have a huge ratio of healers and a damage dealers and tanks would be the most wanted.

About the solo parts while it's true that it may be painful to accomplish while being a healer you can always circumvent such trials by leveling up to a level where it would be much easier to finish on your own.
Old 2012-07-16, 12:09   Link #35
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
#1 Priority is if I find my two RL friends whom I always play mmorpgs with. Or else I'd play solo. I can't stand the stupidity and childishness of 'general gamers'. And I am sure not going to waste my time and risk my life in going through so many groups to find people that I can trust my life with. This only applies when my life is on the line.

In the trio I have with my RL friends, I am always the support/healer. I don't trust anyone with this role. My two friends are trustworthy but they don't like to play support. I personally like the idea of being the back-support and being needed. And of our past history, there was never an 'omfg i am a terrible support'. They are smart players and they know the limitations of my abilities and will turn and run if things look bleak.

Solo, I always play ranged/agile. In SAO, it would be just an agile style warrior like MC. I like to have the liberty of running away screaming like a little girl.

#2 priority is finding a hot female gamer as a companion. I'll even take an AI for a companion! (jk, probably not. In life and death, I don't want any hold-backs, I just want to gtfo of this game >=( )

#3 I'll offer any information to people who want it and can listen. I can't stand arguing over the accuracy of my information when I'm not the one who needs it.

#4 I will never be the spearhead/front line. I will fight in the front if players before me already died and that I learned from their sacrifice. I cannot go without knowing what's ahead of me in life/death situation. And if there's no one with enough balls to take the front, then I'll be chilling in the 1st safe area
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 12:11   Link #36
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmf-x19a View Post
Being able to heal is already in itself a godlike skill.You can't have a healer that can dish out loads of damage that would be unrealistic and unwanted by the game makers.
Ever heard of Allods Online aka healers online?
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 12:51   Link #37
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Allods would be a good comparison to SAO, probably...I remember the skill system was a bitch if you made a single mistake, but palladins were indeed a heal/bruise class. It's kinda like that in DFO too...you have to wonder though, if everyone needs a healer, would you take the risk of drawing so much attention?

Anyway, since we're talking about SAO, Kirito said in ep.1 that the game system does not support magic, in exchange for freedom in sword skills and stuff. I assume that this means you can only heal via items and vamp skills, if tehre are any.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 12:55   Link #38
dragonroots
Carefree Dragon

I would play solo for the most part and only group with others for bosses and the like. My primary build would be that of a tank as a tank is able to handle far more damage than any other type of fighter and usually has a way of healing themselves against normal enemies without the use of any healing items (be it death blows = health or increased recovery outside of combat). My secondary build would be a DD as if i'm in a group that already has a sufficiently powerful tank i would take up a DD role.

My way of making money in a game like this would probably be mercenary style, i would venture into more dangerous areas to collect rare materials for crafters and be paid either by having them create armor and weapons for me or just straight up cash. Prior to doing this (since i won't be able to do that until i am of a sufficiently high lvl) i would simply sell any monster drops that i didn't need for myself.
Old 2012-07-16, 13:06   Link #39
zgmf-x19a
Divine Gundam Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
Ever heard of Allods Online aka healers online?
no I haven't

If it was a death game I think the mastermind behind it would be careful enough not to make a uber healer/dd hybrid class available.
Old 2012-07-16, 15:43   Link #40
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

I would most likely start a guild. Though I don't want it to be large. In fact I want it to resemble a linkshell I had on FFXI. Where we were pretty much ad hoc but because of that we had a lot more flexibility and was able gain gil, corner the markets and accumulate resources. Then we provided a service to players lvling in dungeons. IE: merchants. I would probably do something that like. Membership would be limited to 12 and we all have to be on top of our game in terms of skill and lvl. Also no beta tester scapegoating. Seriously, it's quite dangerous and distracts from actual goals. Also we don't always have to be gathered. Rather we are better acting as ad hoc meaning we explore the areas meet biweekly and share intelligence. Overall, that's what I would probably do on SAO if I was in that situation. I wouldn't waste time hanging in the starting town, but I would find 11-15 allies, get started, build ourselves up, go our separate ways and maintain the guild in a flexible manner. Also we'll corner the in-game economy and to be fair make sure the ones who are straggling behind get the resources and items they need to advance. While selling important intelligence (boss location, etc etc) for gold in order to procure more resources, etc etc. So pretty much we'll just become information brokers/commerce guild.

-----------------------------------

With this anime resembling HxH I will stop there and not ruin anything.

The alternative course of action I would do is just find one other person and partner up with them. No guild forming, and no hanging around morons. The small guild thing with specialist can come at the higher levels simply because by then there will be more competent and talented individuals. For the most part clearing the game is important, and having one other friend will make sure you have someone watching your back while you both advance in this world. I would definitely not hang around the starting zone. Also I would stay clear away from opportunist who don't think things through. I would avoid those who just want to scapegoat. They're irrational and won't survive a death-game. In the real world. Life and death situations usually categorize people into:
a) those who freeze up and don't take action hoping someone will come and instruct them.
b) those who panic, and make irrational choices risking their life and the lives of others around them
c) those who rise to the occasion, and seize the opportunity to save themselves and whoever else they are able to save.

category (a) comprises of about 70%
category (b) comprises of about 20%
category (c) is a measly 10%

Humans are heard animals, very few of us are leaders. But the deal is a portion of that 70% will be saved if someone in the 10% posses the talent, calmness,and abilities to act without hesitating.
That 20% is dangerous because they are reactionary. They will get most people killed if they aren't put in check.
Having been in a few conflict zone,and survived a few life and death situations. It's tough, and its scary. Being able to stay calm is a rare quality, and the reactionary elements will detect it if someone belong to (c) and of course find that more of a reason to cause more trouble. IE: plane is on fire on the ground, and as you climb out and try to help the next person out that person is trying to pull you down into the flames instead of thinking clearly and seeing that you're trying to save them not die with them.

In this context it is why I chose the selfish options of forming either a very small guild of competent players that don't advertise openly, brokers information and intelligence, and essential resources. I n essence maybe a secret society of sorts. And the second scenario of just partnering up with one other player, maybe a second one too. A duo or a trio is a good combo. No need to travel alone.

Last edited by lordblazer; 2012-07-16 at 15:58.
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote