AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-02, 01:50   Link #41
ProDigit

Hey, not all anime is bad! A lot still does speak to the X-generation. But in order to maintain a sense of imagination and realism to the anime, that X-generations want, they'd have to spend lots of $$$ in the creation of it.
I know I'm going to step on a lot of people's toes when I say this, but I feel some of it has to be said:

One for instance, get rid of fillers
two, make a continuous story, not separate small stories,
three, know what you're making. Not some half assed anime where magic is the only answer to our lack of imagination
four, make it belief worthy enough to watch
five, spend enough investments in research and development, as well as fantastical engineers, that out of their minds invent scenario's, sceneries, artifacts, weapons, tools, lifestyles, cultures & traditions, different from our own.
If you look at star trek for instance (the TV series), they spent a lot of time developing non-existing technologies at the time, with some base in science, some of them now turned into reality (like tablets), others perhaps never (like transporter/beamers/portals, laser guided guns, tractor beams, warp (hyperdimensional) drive, or even the Star wars Jedi laser swords; time travel, gravity or photon bombs, gravity drives, genetic mutations through existing radioactive materials or chemicals, etc....).
All of these took a lot of engineers, and science majors to invent these things, that later on where adapted to all kinds of other movies, who literally became watered down versions of the former.

A lot of people have mentioned in this thread that x generation is less and less the target audience; which is true, and most of those that buy anime, buy it for their kids, not themselves.
I also know that in Japan, people are more tolerable for 'lousy' movie making; as where in the western world 'perfection' is high on the bar.
An easy example is many of the japanese anime, that's been re-edited or dubbed in USA, is mostly the best of the best of the anime out there (no teardrops falling from someone's head when they feel funny, no laughing and playing happily after killing an enemy; but more realistic in psychology).
Eg: Macross. Out of all the eps, Macross Plus must be the best of them all; they're also most oriented towards USA>
Same with Street fighter 2v, then again, street fighter zero was dubbed and totally crappy.

I've noticed that the Japanese target audience is mostly about 'funny', and cute, where as the western is more about technology, modernization, and realism.

I'm from the western world, and view with eyes of such. So you'll understand my background.

It's true that some Japanese people may get offended with what I say, and they can be perfectly happy with their puri-puri happy clappy, late evening, magical girl anime; and say if we want anime like this, we should make it; and I fully agree with you. Americans, though they're not so strong in making good cartoons, should do more of that.
I just wonder if there might not be any Japanese left, that still desire to see some great western-style animes; as I get the distinct feeling some are telling me, that anime is mainly to feed the Japanese culture only, and the rest of the world should be happy to get the leftovers.
Without knowing exactly what kind of people Japanese adults are, I think it's a valid question to ask...
What do most Japanese adults (men) like to watch?

Oh, btw, don't get me wrong,
Japan isn't the only one who adapted from a great story line and lots of eps, to a (bi)weekly short story eps.
In USA a lot of the Hollywood episodes are also mainly stories on their own, without a real storyline.
And also a lot more like 'friends' which IMHO is just a waste of time (seeing 5 couples spend time in their appartments or in the cafe).

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-02-02 at 03:32. Reason: merge double post; please edit
Old 2013-02-02, 04:05   Link #42
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Japanese adult men? Pure moe girls untouched by men.
Old 2013-02-02, 04:21   Link #43
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
But in order to maintain a sense of imagination and realism to the anime, that X-generations want, they'd have to spend lots of $$$ in the creation of it.
Even if I take your argument about "what X-generations want" as fact (which I simply cannot), who in their right mind is going to invest the money you're talking about to create anime for this supposed market? Is there even a hope in hell of making back their investment?

The American anime market crashed years ago, and it crashed not because they had stopped making content that appealed to "Western tastes" all of a sudden, but because anime was a fad that most people didn't care that deeply about. What you're basically saying now is "if you build it, they will come", but will they? I tend to think, for the sort of content you're talking about, there are already other outlets that are more popular and accepted. It doesn't need to come from anime.

Quote:
A lot of people have mentioned in this thread that x generation is less and less the target audience; which is true, and most of those that buy anime, buy it for their kids, not themselves.
I'm pretty sure this is patently false. Most of the people who buy anime in significant quantities in Japan (even if they're in Generation X) are collectors who buy it for themselves. At ~$60-80+/disc for a few episodes, anime on DVD/BD is not a children's toy in Japan.

There are shows that are targetted at children in Japan, but these rarely sell particularly well on Blu-Ray or DVD. I don't think children are a significant target demographic for anime purchases. Of course there are other forms of merchandise that are aimed at children (or at their parents).

Quote:
I also know that in Japan, people are more tolerable for 'lousy' movie making; as where in the western world 'perfection' is high on the bar.
This is highly contestable (on both fronts), and probably offensive.

Quote:
An easy example is many of the japanese anime, that's been re-edited or dubbed in USA, is mostly the best of the best of the anime out there (no teardrops falling from someone's head when they feel funny, no laughing and playing happily after killing an enemy; but more realistic in psychology).
This is also highly contestable. You likely know that edited anime is among the most controversial topics among anime fans, and one of the largest pet-peeves in the fanbase. Dubbed anime is also fairly controversial, though less so than "re-edited" shows.

Quote:
I've noticed that the Japanese target audience is mostly about 'funny', and cute, where as the western is more about technology, modernization, and realism.

I'm from the western world, and view with eyes of such. So you'll understand my background.
I'm "from the Western world" too. But when I watch anime, I understand full-well that I'm approaching something from a different culture, and I need to try to relate to it on that level. And, although I enjoy stories about "technology, modernization, and realism" well enough (I've always liked sci-fi which, by the way, is not a uniquely "Western" concept), most of the anime I've most appreciated has been more about things like funny and cute. I try to keep and open mind and appreciate things from that are different, and don't just appeal to some narrow definition of my own culture's "preferences". I've no interest to take "Japan" out of "Japanese animation".

Quote:
I just wonder if there might not be any Japanese left, that still desire to see some great western-style animes; as I get the distinct feeling some are telling me, that anime is mainly to feed the Japanese culture only, and the rest of the world should be happy to get the leftovers.
Honestly, this whole thing is almost borderline racist.

Do you really think that any Japanese fans of those old Japanese anime you like really think of them as "Western-style"? And do you really think that Japan has some sort of cultural obligation to produce entertainment that specifically appeal to other cultures? Because Americans are "not so strong in making good cartoons"? The whole thing makes no sense at all.

Quote:
Without knowing exactly what kind of people Japanese adults are, I think it's a valid question to ask...
What do most Japanese adults (men) like to watch?
All sorts of things. Just like American adults like to watch all sorts of things. I'm not sure that efforts to pigeonhole a demographic consisting of millions of individuals here will be any more successful than your previous rash generalizations.

Quote:
Oh, btw, don't get me wrong,
Japan isn't the only one who adapted from a great story line and lots of eps, to a (bi)weekly short story eps.
In USA a lot of the Hollywood episodes are also mainly stories on their own, without a real storyline.
And also a lot more like 'friends' which IMHO is just a waste of time (seeing 5 couples spend time in their appartments or in the cafe).
Friends was only one of the most popular and influential sitcoms of all time. Doesn't this undermine your entire argument about what the "West" wants and is "about"?

As I said before, this whole thread is just about "the world would be a better place if other people would make more entertainment that matches my personal taste". And that is the epitome of self-centred arrogance. That you try to couch it in these broad stereotypes about "generation X" and "Japanese taste vs. Western taste" out of some sort of effort to rationalize how your tastes are, obviously, totally normal and respectable just makes it worse. It's too bad that there aren't more anime that are made in accordance with your own "great" taste, but you'll just have to look harder and find the ones you like. Just like everyone else. You're not expected to watch everything in the first place.

Anyway, successful troll was successful. Thread locked. Please don't try again.