AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-22, 14:58   Link #1461
Sumeragi
Banned

I don't know quite what to say about this. Given the sister's extreme specialization compared to any other players who appeared in both Saki series (except possibly Maho), I really don't believe anyone could have helped the two out in any case. Furthermore, when we consider the superpowers involved in Saki, I doubt anyone except our Buuchou could have done anything to radically upgrade Kuro and Yuu.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 01:04   Link #1462
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I don't know quite what to say about this. Given the sister's extreme specialization compared to any other players who appeared in both Saki series (except possibly Maho), I really don't believe anyone could have helped the two out in any case. Furthermore, when we consider the superpowers involved in Saki, I doubt anyone except our Buuchou could have done anything to radically upgrade Kuro and Yuu.
Tell me something... We know that Yuu's skill is quite flexible... But Kuro's skill is very limited. No matter how Buuchou tries to upgrade her, the skill will cause her to go backfire and make her go her old ways...
Old 2012-06-23, 01:56   Link #1463
Marina2

Well, unless Kuro can upgrade her own power, I don't see how can she improve herself better than this.
Old 2012-06-23, 02:10   Link #1464
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Well, unless Kuro can upgrade her own power, I don't see how can she improve herself better than this.
She can dora bomb - without worry of falling to another player's hand. If she can do that consistently...
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 03:35   Link #1465
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
She can dora bomb - without worry of falling to another player's hand. If she can do that consistently...
That is, if she is safe from any rons...(Note: Not ALL will riichi when hit tenpai, Teru may have a tanyao hand but she may not need to riichi, what happen if Teru gets the dora? Lets say she start the streak with 20 fu 1 han. Adding 1 Dora will increase the han by 1, which is a safe range for her, as her winning hand's fus and hans increases per consecutive wins.)

If the other 3 riichi, unless they are waiting on 2 way wait, there is no way the dora tiles are dangerous.
Old 2012-06-23, 10:45   Link #1466
Qilin
Romanticist

Just to share (from /a/):

Spoiler for size:

I love this show to bits, but I didn't imagine that it sold as well as that.

The area around the last two episodes is rather curious. It's either Teru is just that popular a character (and she'd deserve it) or people just love watching Kuro suffer.
Old 2012-06-23, 14:10   Link #1467
tsunade666

^how does the chart work?

I don't understand the -1000, -800 and so on. I can understand that its sky rocketing the data presented by the chart but not the values on the chart itself.
Old 2012-06-23, 15:48   Link #1468
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Just to share (from /a/):

Spoiler for size:

I love this show to bits, but I didn't imagine that it sold as well as that.

The area around the last two episodes is rather curious. It's either Teru is just that popular a character (and she'd deserve it) or people just love watching Kuro suffer.
Or they like that Toki has gotten a lot of focus in the Teru match, maybe?
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 17:33   Link #1469
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
^how does the chart work?

I don't understand the -1000, -800 and so on. I can understand that its sky rocketing the data presented by the chart but not the values on the chart itself.
It's the sales ranking in the Amazon.co.jp store at the time, but they've reversed it because lower ranks are worse and higher ranks are better.

In a sense this is sort of pointless because what reason is there to pre-order the first volume Blu-Ray months and months ahead of time? Does it really coincide with when episodes air and people just decide in that moment "I'm going to order the Blu-Ray on Amazon now even though it won't come out until June!"? It stands to reason that more people will pre-order the Blu-Ray as it gets closer to its June release date, notwithstanding whatever the content of the show is that particular week.

So yeah... it's cute, but I don't think it tells us much.
Old 2012-06-23, 17:49   Link #1470
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
There may not have been much that she could have done for Kuro but she could have at least tried to prepare her mentally instead of letting it hit her like a truck in the tournament itself.

Yuu on the other hand with her mode shifting could be a real terror, I think from my limited understanding of the game.She is much harder to box in then Kuro and has a lot of options open for her hands.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 17:58   Link #1471
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It's the sales ranking in the Amazon.co.jp store at the time, but they've reversed it because lower ranks are worse and higher ranks are better.

In a sense this is sort of pointless because what reason is there to pre-order the first volume Blu-Ray months and months ahead of time? Does it really coincide with when episodes air and people just decide in that moment "I'm going to order the Blu-Ray on Amazon now even though it won't come out until June!"? It stands to reason that more people will pre-order the Blu-Ray as it gets closer to its June release date, notwithstanding whatever the content of the show is that particular week.

So yeah... it's cute, but I don't think it tells us much.
Huh. That makes a lot of sense.

However, I'd say that it can a good enough indicator of how well a show is doing in general by how it compares to other airing shows and the nature of the fluctuations in the chart. Of course, it's a bit presumptuous, but a good deal of data can be extracted from such a chart.
Old 2012-06-23, 18:12   Link #1472
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
However, I'd say that it can a good enough indicator of how well a show is doing in general by how it compares to other airing shows and the nature of the fluctuations in the chart. Of course, it's a bit presumptuous, but a good deal of data can be extracted from such a chart.
You're right -- it can be useful as a point of comparison, particularly if, say, you had two shows that were airing in the same season and whose first volume was being released around the same time. Of course, it's worth remembering that this is only Amazon.

The other thing of note about the timeline in particular is that the point where it spiked was around the time they announced that the Blu-Ray would include a ticket to a special event. That is of course not indicated on the timeline, which only shows the episodes. So you might look at that and think "wow, everyone started liking the show after episode 7!"... but external factors were at play.

So yeah... something can be gleaned, but not too much without further data and context.
Old 2012-06-23, 18:29   Link #1473
custardpie

So, does anyone know how many Blu-Rays have actually been sold? Seems like the first Blu-Ray was released on June 13, so first week sales rate should have been out by now. If I remember correctly, the original Saki dvds sold around 7,000~10,000 per volume, so I'm curious about how well this one will do.

+ I looked it up, and since Saki Achiga-hen isn't among the 11th-17th Blu-Ray & DVD Rankings, I suppose it should be out a few days later with the 18th-24th Rankings.
custardpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 18:38   Link #1474
relentlessflame

*Administrator

The first volume was released on 20 June, actually, so numbers have not been released yet. I think the anticipation is somewhere in the 6,000 range for combined sales, which would reflect the typical "sequel rot" factor.
Old 2012-06-23, 21:45   Link #1475
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The first volume was released on 20 June, actually, so numbers have not been released yet. I think the anticipation is somewhere in the 6,000 range for combined sales, which would reflect the typical "sequel rot" factor.
They will usually show the numbers after 1 week of sale right?

And whats a "sequel rot" factor?
Old 2012-06-23, 21:50   Link #1476
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
And whats a "sequel rot" factor?
It generally means that any given sequel will have lower sales overall than the series that preceded it. This is because many of the casual watchers will usually moved on since then (especially if there's a significant gap of times between shows), and as such won't be buying the DVDs/BRs of the sequel.

And honestly, anything more than two years is already a long time for anime watchers.
Old 2012-06-23, 21:55   Link #1477
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
It generally means that any given sequel will have lower sales overall than the series that preceded it. This is because many of the casual watchers will usually moved on since then (especially if there's a significant gap of times between shows), and as such won't be buying the DVDs/BRs of the sequel.

And honestly, anything more than two years is already a long time for anime watchers.
Oh...

Anyway, when you mix Akagi and Achiga-hen with the 1 pin there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXDVyD3wEDk
Old 2012-06-23, 22:30   Link #1478
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
Is it just me or do most of Achiga's problems lead back to Harue Akado. She has failed them across the board.
I don't think she's been that bad.

Akado made sure that her team studied up extensively on their opponents, and she even helped ensure that her team would get to compete/practice against good schools from other regions. When it comes to team-based preparation, Akado couldn't have done much better.

And Akado telling Kuro how to adapt her style is a bit risky. In real life, I know of pro sports coaches that tried to micromanage their players to address weaknesses in their games, and it often backfires.

Where I do think Akado has missed the boat a bit is in not factoring in the psychological aspect of the competition... and this is a particularly bad oversight on Akado's part because she herself was overwhelmed (in large part) by the psychological aspect of competition.

Kuro's mental toughness is simply not what it should be. Granted, just about anybody would start to get depressed and maybe get flustered a bit by facing somebody of Teru's caliber, but the difference between how Toki/Miss Marvelous are handling it, and how Kuro is handling it, is notable. Kuro is not handling things (so far) anywhere near as well as Toki/Miss Marvelous are.

This is either a failure due to not enough proper psychological preparation, or Kuro just doesn't have it. And if Kuro just doesn't have it, she shouldn't be in the lead-off position. The two most high-pressured positions are fifth (because there's nobody coming after you that could conceivably turn things around if you fail; it's now all on you) and first (because it's up to you to try to get the match off to a good start for your team, and any massive one-and-done loss will leave your teammates pissed since they never even got a chance to compete).

For this reason, Shizuno is her team's ideal choice for fifth (so good job there, at least), because she seems to thrive on high pressure situations, and she will not quit. The lead-off should be someone that is good at getting fast starts (this is why Tacos has this role for her team) but is also somebody that's good at minimizing loss when things go sour... and that calls for mental toughness (admittedly, Tacos isn't that great here herself ).

Based on what we've seen so far (which admittedly is not a whole lot), I think that Arata has excellent mental toughness, and might be better suited for lead-off than Kuro is. In fairness, it might not have mattered a whole lot against Teru.
Old 2012-06-23, 23:37   Link #1479
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I'm just curious... given the fact she played for a corporate team, wouldn't Akado know of a player or two who could help in the "mental conditioning" department? I mean, Hisa just happened to know a pro who she could ask a favor of at a moment's notice, and she's still in high school and never really played at a national level... Given the strong sense of familiarity the Achiga girls have with Akado, I don't think she'd have quite the same effect on them as Fujita had on Nodoka and Saki.

Of course, this is all just random speculation on my part.

As for Arata being placed first... she was made president almost entirely because she's mentally the strongest, so having her start things off would probably have been a better idea... but I don't know how much better she'd be doing against Teru, given the fact all I really know about her is that Hiroko couldn't analyze her even after playing against her and that she really likes bowling. And the fact she's got a crush on Akado, but that's got little to do with her mahjong playing.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-24, 07:35   Link #1480
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I'm just curious... given the fact she played for a corporate team, wouldn't Akado know of a player or two who could help in the "mental conditioning" department? I mean, Hisa just happened to know a pro who she could ask a favor of at a moment's notice, and she's still in high school and never really played at a national level... Given the strong sense of familiarity the Achiga girls have with Akado, I don't think she'd have quite the same effect on them as Fujita had on Nodoka and Saki.

Of course, this is all just random speculation on my part.

As for Arata being placed first... she was made president almost entirely because she's mentally the strongest, so having her start things off would probably have been a better idea... but I don't know how much better she'd be doing against Teru, given the fact all I really know about her is that Hiroko couldn't analyze her even after playing against her and that she really likes bowling. And the fact she's got a crush on Akado, but that's got little to do with her mahjong playing.
You can't tell whether the play has good mentality or not when fighting against super demon class? Some will break down.

http://anime.biglobe.ne.jp/userranking/chara/34399/

Are my eyes seeing right? Who is 1st?(My eyes are blurry... played too much com and mahjong. But all I see is only applies to Achiga-hen only. No mainline Saki characters.)

Mission starting in: Est. 3 hours 30mins to next episode. Are your MS ready?

Last edited by Scarletknive; 2012-06-24 at 07:52.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri