AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-03-30, 11:59   Link #261
Azrael_Azure
Femme Fatale

Send a message via MSN to Azrael_Azure Send a message via Yahoo to Azrael_Azure
I just go to Forbidden Planet, or a store like that they have everything without leaving the country.
Azrael_Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-31, 21:01   Link #262
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areguzanda View Post
I friend of mine just arrived in Japan yesterday and he sent me this message:

"Man oooh man!! I love Japan!! the very first thing that met my eye's when I got into the airport here was a huge group of school girls wearing uniforms with short skirts!! I LOVE JAPAN!! "

I had just one thing to say to him at this point:
"I hate you"

Perhaps...but he didn't say if they were cute or not.

Just like every other country in the world, Japan has some ugly people and girls who wear tighter clothing than they should be...
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 07:57   Link #263
darkcloud

Quote:
I've been to a lot of places and all I can say from my travelling experience is that the grass isn't greener on the otherside. Most things are extremely similar worldwide, ok I understand there's culture and other factors, but when you get down to the real bare bones of human life. Everyone is the same, some just speak a different language.
Yeah ermm I've been to Japan and it's a hell of a lot different to London... You'll just have to trust me on this... Obviously this isn't refering to the whole you have to work to get money situation......

Quote:
I just go to Forbidden Planet, or a store like that they have everything without leaving the country.
Holy crap.... You're comparing Forbidden Planet to getting anime in Japan? Wow.... O.o;; You're comparing a crappy 2 floor shop (assuming you're talking about the one in central) with a poor selection of everything to the many 6-8+ floor places in Tokyo that are actually dedicated to anime unlike forbidden planet? lol

Quote:
I friend of mine just arrived in Japan yesterday and he sent me this message:

"Man oooh man!! I love Japan!! the very first thing that met my eye's when I got into the airport here was a huge group of school girls wearing uniforms with short skirts!! I LOVE JAPAN!! "

I had just one thing to say to him at this point:
"I hate you"
:-/ Not exactly worth the price of the plane ticket though is it? lol Hopefully that won't be the highlight of his trip.
darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 10:55   Link #264
shiro83

I think it is Japan's culture we are fascinated with.
With the first hand taste to anime culture, the short skirts, the maid cafes...

You will need bombs to live there as the things there cost bombs.
shiro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 11:59   Link #265
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm sure many people think you can avoid the passport issue by defeating a ninja at the Mortal Kombat station in the immigration office
Old 2007-04-03, 15:41   Link #266
poptart
come tess me now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm sure many people think you can avoid the passport issue by defeating a ninja at the Mortal Kombat station in the immigration office
that is the most random sentence i have ever experienced in my life....

loves it
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 10:14   Link #267
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
that is the most random sentence i have ever experienced in my life....

loves it
Our friend Vexx is well read.

I can't believe I remembered where that was from...
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 01:46   Link #268
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Alas, rarely can I actually take credit for any clever lines I spout ... I just happen to bleed trivia from my pores....

I actually started reading that strip at like ep#9 ... I blame Fred for getting me all wrapped up in this silly hobby we all yammer about (I've always been a studier of japanese culture and religion but the pop scene I had pretty much ignored til Fred derailed me into Kanon and Love Hina, etc).
Old 2007-04-21, 02:03   Link #269
Darek Khort

I want to go to Japan one day when I have saved up enough. I want to go there cause of a whole variety of things. Their fashion, some parts of their culture, dormitories, and of course all the Asian/Anime stuff that I *think* is relatively cheap compared to how much they cost here in Australia. @__@

Plus, as a Chinese I want to see just how different Japan is from China (the country that literally taught Japan how to speak...if my history lessons are correct...).

Then again, I also want to visit China again, especially where I was born, Shanghai, due to the recent boom. Hopefully inner-city Shanghai won't have any of those pot-holes for public park-and-school toilets. ^^;;
And a visit to France, cause their language sounds awesome. And America, cause it's big and stuff is relatively cheaper than in Australia. A Large Big Mac Meal in America probably costs the same as our Small/Regular Meals.

Thanks for all the information and pointers too! $40-$50 rail passes is scary. @__@
But I'll be spending most of my money on the UFO Catchers there! Here in Australia the only places to find them are in the City, and only in two places, Capitol Square and Galaxy World, with Capitol Square being the only one with Asian plushies and Gashapons. Galaxy World only has Disney characters. T__T
Darek Khort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 03:36   Link #270
Nergol

I was in Japan on JET, and have been back many times since. It's an ordinary place with ordinary people. I didn't find it hard to understand at all; in fact, in many ways I find it less hard to understand than home. People still hold on to some sense of community and propriety, although that's slowly disappearing as television gradually turns us all into a sort of homogenous mush.

Go. Enjoy. If you think of it as exotic and inscrutable, you'll only be isolating yourself. Follow the Golden Rule they taught you in Sunday School, don't be an obnoxious loudmouth (which nobody likes, but the Japanese seem particularly averse to), and you'll be fine.
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 18:10   Link #271
Umi

Send a message via AIM to Umi
My dad is a flight attendant so I can fly for free.

But he has only taken me around the continental US and to Germany (which I loved).

But in May, I'm going to go to Japan and finally make use of my language skills.

I'm excited. :3
Umi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 18:36   Link #272
winry039
love is dreaminess

Send a message via AIM to winry039
i plan on going there when i become an adult because i want to become an videogame designer and well... my friends beg to come along so me and some of my friends are going to room togheter in a house in japan and hopefully in tokyo
winry039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 18:43   Link #273
ibreatheanime

I think it would be fun to visit japan for maybe a month or so (an extended trip). In general I want to travel, and see all sorts of different people, and cultures.
ibreatheanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 15:42   Link #274
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
(I've been repeating myself a lot... ) Once again, I'll say that hopefully I'll get to go there for school next year. I'm just waiting to hear back from the university I applied to...

I think I began wanting to go there ever since I had to stop there once on my way to Korea. I remember stepping out into the terminal... and being overwhelmed by cute things everywhere. I love *cuteness*, and Japan is like the motherload of it all. I also got to ride in a car there, which I know isn't that big of a deal, but I loved getting freaked out at being on the "wrong" side of the road (I want to try that in England, too). XD
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 01:44   Link #275
iluvnuriko
Red dream of catastrophy

Send a message via MSN to iluvnuriko
I am going to visit Japan for sure. But first I am going to learn japanese. Then I will go there and stop off at Akhibara to spend a whole week at animate (1 day per floor!!).......mwahahaha...mwahaha!
iluvnuriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 09:39   Link #276
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Actually, I've been to Japan twice in five years, the second time only recently, in February this year (2007).

It had been a great trip (the Feb one). Very personal in many ways, probably because I travelled solo this time round. I realised that I actually prefer travelling alone than with company.

Don't get me wrong. Company's always good to have. But looking back at my 2002 trip, I remember that more often than not, I was being led around by my friend who obviously knew a lot more about Japan than I knew at the time. In effect, I was following his itinerary rather than mine, lol.

When you're on your own, and 100% responsible for your own holiday, I dunno, the entire holiday becomes much more meaningful, you know?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 10:08   Link #277
ShikaShika
無罪

In my experience, it's much easier to feel lonely in Japan than in most other countries. I think it has mainly to do with the language barrier and the natural shyness of the Japanese whenever they spot a gaijin. So there are times when I wish I had a friend with me (of course I have friends here, but not anyone really close).

I get what you mean about following your own itinerary though, I hate being dragged around town looking at things that don't interest me in the slightest. However for out of town excursions I prefer a traveling companion, just my two cents (yen?). I think it's especially nice to plan out the itinerary together, and then seeing it work out as planned, it can be a memorable experiance and it can really tighten a relationship.

I had such an experience in Kyoto, riding bikes from temple to temple with a friend, whom I now consider quite close. Btw, since I guess a lot of Japan visitors to be are looking at this thread, I wholeheartedly recommend biking through Kyoto, it's a great way to see the city (and cheap). Really easy to navigate as well.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 10:14   Link #278
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

One reason why I loved my most recent trip to Japan (yes I'm showing off )

Hot bath at dawn with Mt Fuji for scenary.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 10:46   Link #279
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I suppose this is the best place for this...

Well, I'm not sure when I'll be going to Japan for missions work, but I'm making plans for education.

This is the school I'm expecting to attend: http://yamasa.org

I'd like to go this year, but I don't want to enroll without having the money saved ahead of time (and also have to balance it with my planned schooling in Guatemala), so I'm tentatively planning on attending in 2008. Of course, if I can go sooner, that'd be fine with me.

If any one has any advice concerning the school or Okazaki City, where it's located, I'd be very appreciative of any information.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 12:10   Link #280
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
One reason why I loved my most recent trip to Japan (yes I'm showing off )

Hot bath at dawn with Mt Fuji for scenary.
Arrrrrrgh! (channeling Daffy Duck): I... hate... you...

Tags
japan, travel