AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-01-22, 20:08   Link #261
cdtm

General question for the thread: (I did do a search, and "ebay" didn't bring any results, so sorry if this was addressed already).

What do you think of Ebay and Half.com for buying anime?

In your experience, are there a lot of bootlegs out there, even for higher priced items?

Also, in your experience, is there such a thing as a "less then 4 dollars an ep" deal for an entire series, that turned out to be legit?

I'm having to rework my entire thought processes for anime shopping, because I'm used to going for the cheapest deal in town.. And that just doesn't seem to work with anime, or even general movie media, if you want a good product.
cdtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 20:15   Link #262
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtm View Post
Also, in your experience, is there such a thing as a "less then 4 dollars an ep" deal for an entire series, that turned out to be legit?
Hmm. A friend recently bought the Fruits Basket box set for $40 AUD, which is 26 episodes making them ~$1.50 each. But he works at a video shop and gets wholesale direct prices from Madman. I bought the box set when it was first released like two years ago for $100. hehe. But that's still $3.80 an episode, so I'm not sure what you mean by the 4 dollars an ep. Granted, most series are more expensive (26 ep series are rarely released on only 4 discs and you generally pay per disc not per episode.)

As a general rule of thumb, I wouldn't buy from ebay. I just don't trust the amount of bootlegs out there. Plus I'm not a fan of second hand goods at any rate. I own almost the entire DVD catalogue that Madman offers here in Australia (R0 discs by Australian law, woo!) and I'm quite proud to have a completely legit collection.

Shop around, by all means, but don't sacrifice quality to save a few dollars.
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 22:02   Link #263
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtm View Post
What do you think of Ebay and Half.com for buying anime?
Thats a very risky idea since even if you think you are getting a legit good, you have no way of knowing until it arrives and even then you might not know.

Quote:
I've bought plenty of discs for under $4/ep from DDD or Bestbuy or TRSI. Just have to wait for it or get lucky with a sale.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-29, 15:03   Link #264
andr1us

i wanted to ask about complete anime series releases (not thinpacks), do they usually have all extras and bonus material as you would get buying volumes separatelly, for example Tokyo Underground.
andr1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-29, 15:27   Link #265
xris
Just call me Ojisan

In most cases it's the same DVDs as released separately. So the contents of the box-set should be the same as if you purchased them one at a time (except you get a box as well).

In this case the Tokyo Underground Box-Set contains 6 DVDs, so chances are they are the same as the Vol 1 to 6 releases. Or in other words, I don't actually know but in the past the complete box-sets are usually the same. Maybe you could fire off an email to Geneon and ask directly.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-29, 15:56   Link #266
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

So far, every "Perfect Collection" thinpack I've purchased has been a complete package (Love Hina Perfect Collection, Azumanga Daioh's Class Act, Martian Nadesico "Complete Chronicles" ... okay that one had some later follow on but meh).
And I'd avoid ebay like the plague unless you absolutely can't find what you want somewhere else. I wish more sellers would provide the ISBN numbers so you could verify they were at least portraying their stuff as "not bootleg". (got hit a couple of times by bootleg goofs and I'm STILL not quite sure my Tsukikage Ran re-issue collection isn't a bootleg...)
Old 2007-01-30, 02:30   Link #267
andr1us

Same with my Ai Yori Aoshi vol. 1 (with box), i am not sure if it is really not a bootleg. I bought Ah! My Goddess Premium Boxset and i wonder did i do a good thing will i have all the extras? (not delivered to me yet) One more question about Elfen Lied DVD releases: which release has a OVA episode in it? Is it thinpack release or 4 volume (vectors) release?
Old 2007-01-30, 10:09   Link #268
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
So far, every "Perfect Collection" thinpack I've purchased has been a complete package (Love Hina Perfect Collection, Azumanga Daioh's Class Act, Martian Nadesico "Complete Chronicles" ... okay that one had some later follow on but meh).
ADV has switched on their newer thinpacks to cutting special features that were on the original releases. I think Azumanga Daioh was the last thinpack that was released with special features intact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andr1us View Post
Same with my Ai Yori Aoshi vol. 1 (with box), i am not sure if it is really not a bootleg.
I'm pretty sure if it comes with a box that it's probably not a bootleg.
Old 2007-01-30, 14:17   Link #269
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
ADV has switched on their newer thinpacks to cutting special features that were on the original releases. I think Azumanga Daioh was the last thinpack that was released with special features intact.
I'm pretty sure if it comes with a box that it's probably not a bootleg.
Well.. thats rather nasty... they have to go out of their way to change the masters. "We shall punish the patient"
Old 2007-01-30, 17:55   Link #270
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Well, actually the way they spun it was to reward people who bought the singles.

It doesn't bother me that much (I don't usually look at extras anyway), but I was worried about what it would mean for an eventual PPD! thinpack, which is why I'm doing them in singles. Still, I have to hand it to ADV, they're still the most affordable/quickest at releasing collected editions.
Old 2007-01-30, 18:30   Link #271
Niji

Question to all ya experienced anime-buyers. I noticed recently that some DVDs come with japanese audio, and subtitles (along with the english subtitles). This is awesome of course if one studies japanese (I learn so much from fansubbed karaokes ) I checked yesasia, and found 1 anime for about 400 bucks (no kidding). Anyone know a source for this language setting for a reasonable price? I dont want bootlegs (of course), but 400???
Niji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-30, 18:55   Link #272
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Do you mean, like the anime comes with romanji and English subtitles? I'm not sure if that's what you mean, but if it is, then no. I've never seen an official R1 DVD release with a romanji subtitle track.
Old 2007-01-30, 19:21   Link #273
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niji View Post
Question to all ya experienced anime-buyers. I noticed recently that some DVDs come with japanese audio, and subtitles (along with the english subtitles). This is awesome of course if one studies japanese (I learn so much from fansubbed karaokes ) I checked yesasia, and found 1 anime for about 400 bucks (no kidding). Anyone know a source for this language setting for a reasonable price? I dont want bootlegs (of course), but 400???
Heh???? Almost all R1 DVD releases offer the Japanese original soundtrack with english translation subtitles. Usually the choices are:
English soundtrack dub
Japanese soundtrack (no translation subtitles)
Japanese soundtrack (with translation subititles)
... and the new PPD footnotes option (cover the screen with explanations)

edit: (okay.. maybe some of the crossover repackaged stuff like Pokemon doesn't... but meh).

I also use anime to practice *listening* to Japanese with the caveat that anime characters are routinely far ruder than actual japanese are ever likely to be. And there's no reason to provide a romaji subtitle I can think of unless the character is mispronouncing a phrase so badly that even japanese would need a subtitle.. and then they'd want it in -kana. Sitting near japanese groups and eavesdropping is good practice as well (or actually interacting ).

Oh, and I'd avoid yesasia like the plague.. they run high, they often don't have what they say they have, and their shipping charges suck (my experience with them).

amazon.co.jp, nippon-export.com, cdjapan.co.jp -- are all more recommended if you're trying to buy R2 anime DVDs. But for listening to japanese, the R1s mostly are fine (dvdpacific.com). I hardly ever listen to the english tracks.

@rooboy: I used to be more "thinpack" driven but dvdpacific.com offers such a discount my desire wins out over long term economics I mostly buy thinpacks because they're all thats available for older works sometimes.
Old 2007-01-30, 19:45   Link #274
bayoab

Quote:
Oh, and I'd avoid yesasia like the plague.. they run high, they often don't have what they say they have, and their shipping charges suck (my experience with them).
Just a counter experience. I've had no issues with shipping charges with yesasia. I have run into the not saying what they have but they remove it from your order and don't charge you. (Then again, they usually don't say they have it, just "takes x days to acquire".) As for the prices, they vary. For manga, they are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines View Post
Do you mean, like the anime comes with romanji and English subtitles? I'm not sure if that's what you mean, but if it is, then no. I've never seen an official R1 DVD release with a romanji subtitle track.
The romanji is usually on the even # episodes and the english is usually on the odd episodes. Some shows like gatekeepers have both tracks at once. They never have a kana track though.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-30, 19:49   Link #275
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
I meant like the entire episode, not just the OP/ED. That's what I got out of the guy/gal's post... but like I said, I'm not sure if I interpreted the meaning correctly.
Old 2007-01-30, 20:25   Link #276
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
@rooboy: I used to be more "thinpack" driven but dvdpacific.com offers such a discount my desire wins out over long term economics I mostly buy thinpacks because they're all thats available for older works sometimes.
I am ordering more form Rightstuf these days. Very hard to beat thier weekly specials + No sale tax and Free shipping.

One reason i get the thinkpacks is because some of the regular release don't have a Artbox.
Old 2007-01-30, 20:28   Link #277
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
DVDPacific is cheap on thinpacks and collected editions as well. Planetes or Kino no Tabi for less than 30 dollars is almost unbeatable.

EDIT: I should also clarify that I'm not really thinpack/collected driven so much as there's a lot of stuff that I've never owned. If I'm going to spend $30-$60 a month on DVD's, I'd rather get a full series or two than pick up one or two dvds. Of course this is all highly theoretical as I'm still buying singles for some series that I can't wait for the collected edition (Fullmetal Panic!The Second Raid and soon to be Black Lagoon), some that I'm afraid of what the thinpack will cut (Pani Poni Dash), and some that I'm trying to finish off because I decided not to wait on the collection on a whim (Mai Hime).

EDIT 2: I've been thinking about moving to Rightstuf too - not so much because of the DVD's, but because my whole DVD budget actually rolls up into my manga budget. And I'm thinking it might be cheaper to get it through RightStuf than through my local comic shop.
Old 2007-01-30, 22:48   Link #278
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Recently got a "mess'o'books" from Rightstuf .... encountered no problems with them.
Old 2007-01-31, 02:37   Link #279
andr1us

Does anyone knows about Spiral Complete DVD Box Set? As i noticed box has a different art. But what worries me is the amount of extras (not only on disc extras, but any printed extras too (if that exists)), is it the same or something has been cut?
I usually buy singles and limited editions, because i am a "collecting guy", but my interest and hobies are hurting my wallet badly I am ordering from Rightstuf, DVDPacific and Amazon.com and i didn't have any problems so far
Old 2007-01-31, 10:13   Link #280
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Nothing has been cut from the DVDs, Spiral was released through Funimation. Their complete sets are just the dvds in the box (not thinpacked or anything else). On the other hand, Funi is usually rather sparse with extras for their second and third tier titles (i.e. the not Fullmetal Alchemist level).

I've almost bought that exact same box set like ten times. If you get it, would you PM me and let me know if it has the OP song in its entirety?

Tags
anime dvd suggestions, anime movies, help finding an anime, manga, purchase, streaming anime