AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2012-10-09, 09:28   Link #1
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

K-On! London Pilgrimage Advice Thread

Welcome, fellow traveller and lover of the K-On! franchise.

No doubt this thread caught your eye because you, like myself, have also recently witnesse the Hokago Tea Time band's wacky adventures in their motion picture across the city of London, and wish to follow in their footsteps on a London Vacation of your own, based upon theirs.

Well now, have a seat,

For this thread is a place in which we can discuss, share and pool information on a K-On! The Movie based trip to London, including important subject matters such as:

Locations In The Film To Visit
Air Fare
Accomodation
Exchange Rates
Transportatation
Gourmet and Cousine
Where to have Afternoon Tea (Of Course!!)
Other sites to see (Meet "Nessie" like the Occult Club suggested, maybe?)

Well met, Fellow K-On! Fan. You are MOST welcome.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-09 at 16:24.
Yui Is My Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 16:45   Link #2
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

I want to visit Abby Road! Hopefully I'll be able to go this summer!
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 17:54   Link #3
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Air fare depends on where you are in the world. At the time of posting, Air Canada offers flights to London, England from Toronto Canada for roughly 1097 dollars, and United Air does the same for 987 dollars (round trip, economy class). These are October rates as of time of posting, and all prices are in Canadian dollars

As for afternoon tea, there exists a website who shows the best (and I mean the very best) places in London to go for afternoon tea. It's quite expensive, though, as most places average £35 (roughly 57 Canadian dollars) per person, but I imagine the experience will be awesome.
Old 2012-10-09, 18:13   Link #4
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Had High Tea twice. Once in Victoria, Canada, and once in Glasgow, Scotland. About 12 years apart from each other.
Old 2012-10-10, 03:03   Link #5
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Smile The Hotel Ibis: Earl's Court.

Here is the Booking Link for The Hotel Ibis: Earl's Court where The Girls stayed for their trip, should you want to also stay where they stayed.

The Hotel Ibis, Earl's Court

Yui And Azunyan's Room (Or close enough, thereof )

The white and bright room where Mugi, Mio and Ritsu stayed:

And the Breakfast Lounge where Yui and Azunyan had a delicious Jam Sandwhich breakfast.

Let's get this show on the road!!
Old 2012-10-11, 22:10   Link #6
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

To Londoners On This Board: How much money do I need?

Here is a question for people who actually live in London, and know about the daily spending needs:

How many English Pounds would a tourist need to bring for, say, a one-week stay in London that covers lunch-and-dinner, public transportation, and the odd souvenier and snack?

And one ride on the London Eye Ferris Wheel, of course.
Old 2012-10-11, 23:20   Link #7
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
I'm not a citizen of London, but I can answer this one One standard ticket (adult fare) is £17.01 (roughly 27.30 USD, 26.70 CAD, 21.12 EUR or 2142 JPY at the time of writing). Night admission is the same, and other tickets are more expensive (for instance, "Fast Track" tickets for adults begin at £25.92).
Old 2012-10-11, 23:27   Link #8
kaitok
Inspired Musician

I heard there's some Japanese anime fair in London that's on going too right? When will that be?

(I wanna find out if that sushi place is real too or not XDDDD)
Old 2012-10-12, 08:46   Link #9
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Here is a question for people who actually live in London, and know about the daily spending needs:

How many English Pounds would a tourist need to bring for, say, a one-week stay in London that covers lunch-and-dinner, public transportation, and the odd souvenier and snack?

I can't give an exact amount, but you'd need a lot since most places in London aren't cheap which goes for public transport although if you get an oyster card (a £5 deposit is required alongside any money you put on it when you get it) you can cut the costs almost in half (if you come in through Heathrow airport, then you can get one at the underground station).

Tickets for the London eye are a bit simpler to price (well I have looked at the official site) as a standard ticket costs just under £19 for a standard ticket and a fast track ticket (if you want to bypass a majority of the queue) costs just under £29 if you pay on the day (there's a 10% discount if you book a ticket at least a day before online).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 01:42   Link #10
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

By the way, where exactly is that green cafe where even now they allegedly have a poster of The Girls stuck on the window in real life?
Old 2012-10-13, 10:25   Link #11
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
By the way, where exactly is that green cafe where even now they allegedly have a poster of The Girls stuck on the window in real life?
The café depicted is the Troubadour Café. It is located on 263-267 Old Brompton Road in Earls Court and was established in 1954, being one of the last remaining coffee houses of its era in London.

Their menu is quite diverse, and for the curious, the girls in K-On! order the Two Eggs on Toast , which costs £4.50
Old 2012-10-13, 11:16   Link #12
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
The café depicted is the Troubadour Café. It is located on 263-267 Old Brompton Road in Earls Court and was established in 1954, being one of the last remaining coffee houses of its era in London.

Their menu is quite diverse, and for the curious, the girls in K-On! order the Two Eggs on Toast , which costs £4.50
Righteous!! I'm guessing it is a variant of eggs benedict, judging from that mouth watering golden-sauce and ham, yes?

And just found out it is a TEN hour trip EACH-WAY from London to Loch Ness to visit Nessie!!

I WANNA TAKE A PHOTO WITH NESSIE!!! WAAAAAHHH!!!

Ahem.

Here is a link to the London Subway Map (called "The Tubes" there), in case you need to get to somewhere to get nice new shoes fast like Azunyan.

http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~lilia/Lond...rgroundMap.htm
Old 2012-12-20, 12:37   Link #13
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

It's been a while since anyone has noted anything about going to London, K-On! Style. Fortunately, not all hope is lost. In taking after Azusa's planning, I've noted that such a trip can be conducted for around 4000 Canadian Dollars (341,824.19 Yen, or 4048.60 American Dollars), during the late March time-frame. This would give us three days in London to explore (technically, two-and-a-half). Within that price range, transportation and accommodations are accounted for, as well as food and sightseeing elements. Thus, we have a trip that will last three days in London. They are expanded upon in these off-site links, but summarised, they are as follows.
  • Preliminary Calculations- Assumptions we'll need to make in order for the logistics to reasonably work out.
  • Transportation and Accommodation- The cost of essentials, such as plane tickets, hotel rates and mass transit rates.
  • Day One- What we'd do on day one. This entails visiting Westminster and the Borough Market.
  • Day Two- What we'd do on day two. This day will aim to replicate the events in the movie. The travellers visit the British Museum and London Eye on day two.
  • Day Three- What we'd do on day three. This last day is technically a half day, so we'll visit Camden City.
  • Closing Remarks- Final words about the hypothetical trip.

I realise that the trip takes a few creative liberties (most noticably, the fact that we visit Camden last rather than first), but otherwise, more or less all of the locations in the movie are hit. These six posts are sufficiently detailed for such a trip to be planned out and demonstrate that the trip in the movie is possible. Moreover, a map of all the locations in the movie is included. Happy travelling!

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2012-12-20 at 12:49.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 07:50   Link #14
kaitok
Inspired Musician

This thread came in just in time. I might have a chance to go to London next year thanks to a school trip! I hope I'll have the chance to drop by some of the places the girls went (e.g. London eye XDD)

anyway, same as my previous post in this thread. Anyone have any idea if the sushi shop is real or pure fiction?
Old 2012-12-22, 08:33   Link #15
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitok View Post
This thread came in just in time. I might have a chance to go to London next year thanks to a school trip! I hope I'll have the chance to drop by some of the places the girls went (e.g. London eye XDD)

anyway, same as my previous post in this thread. Anyone have any idea if the sushi shop is real or pure fiction?
I'm sure its real! London area has ALOT of sushi bars, plus the animators took much attention to detail (actually went there to plan locations for the movie), and turns out most of the places in the movies are actual places.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 12:15   Link #16
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

That sushi shop would probably be in the Camden area, although I cannot ascertain as to whether or not that is the case.
Old 2013-04-07, 09:43   Link #17
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Hi, long time no thread!

Just quickly, what is the name of that street where the girls go to look at Music Instruments and run screaming away from that creepy Goth Rocker?
Old 2013-04-09, 11:40   Link #18
Misago

Quote:
Hi, long time no thread!

Just quickly, what is the name of that street where the girls go to look at Music Instruments and run screaming away from that creepy Goth Rocker?
Denmark Street https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark_Street
Misago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 08:25   Link #19
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
That sushi shop would probably be in the Camden area, although I cannot ascertain as to whether or not that is the case.

Having gone there,
1) Camden is FILLED with scary "Shock Rocket" style fashion rather than the Upbeat "Pop" fashion of HTT
2) Sadly, only the outside of the "Sushi" shop resembles the movie; it is just a generic cafe.
Old 2013-06-03, 17:10   Link #20
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Having gone there,
1) Camden is FILLED with scary "Shock Rocket" style fashion rather than the Upbeat "Pop" fashion of HTT
2) Sadly, only the outside of the "Sushi" shop resembles the movie; it is just a generic cafe.
Concerning bullet 2, was the food okay?