AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Accel World

Notices

Old 2012-04-04, 23:49   Link #481
Fabrice
Padawan

Can someone explain to me why She chose Haru in the first place?
It kinda was rushed the whole thing.
Fabrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 00:20   Link #482
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

^He was very compatible with the software, according to the wall-ball game. There might be another reason, but they didn't explain it in the first two episodes.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 01:36   Link #483
Clarste
Human

I think the idea was that since he was so good at the game it showed that he had the mental reflexes necessary to handle the program. Other people might not be able to think or react so fast at all. They are essentially overclocking their brains after all.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 05:16   Link #484
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

Well, I'm pretty impressed with the first two episodes, although I felt the pace seemed a bit quick for me. I can live with that, if they can keep up the quality I've witnessed in the opening premiere. While the story isn't the strongest, in my opinion, the visuals more than make up for that.

Now, on to the characters. Haruyuki is an unfortunate bully victim and I'm sure most of us would have experienced this at some point. Those who haven't are usually on the end that dishes it out, and thus they can talk a load of rubbish, frankly. He deals with it like what those with a love for games do - escape into a virtual reality where only he can do the things that he does best.

I don't blame him for feeling weak and insecure at times but surely he can rely on his friends for comfort and solace, and not fear the fact that they may actually be looking at him with eyes of pity. I myself can say I have had a fair amount of experience getting bullied but those people are out of my life and I don't give a single care about what happens to them or their lives. Haruyuki should trust his friends more, to be fair to them.

Kuroyukihime is an interesting person whereby she tends to do things on a whim (like taking an interest in Haruyuki, who would usually go unnoticed by others), but she evidently has gone through troubles of her own, unlike what Haruyuki thinks of her ("having everything", as he puts it).

However, I'm quite put off with Haruyuki's incessant "beating yourself up and running away from your problems" character because it doesn't help himself in any way. If Kuroyukihime never noticed and helped him through his troubles, he'd have still been meeting his daily dose of trouble.

Nonetheless, there's room for character progression and I am one who welcomes such. Hopefully it will not disappoint.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 06:33   Link #485
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

how many episode of this by the way?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 06:40   Link #486
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
how many episode of this by the way?
It will have 24 episodes, according to MoonPhase's anime list.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 11:54   Link #487
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

Guys relax. This wimpy dude will become badass later on in the series (every one of them does eventually) so if the 'end justifies the means' then, we'd all like him.

Why do I feel like the age of wimpy, Shinji-like characters are coming back in full bloom? On the other hand, SAO MC feels like he's the virtual reality version of Kenshin.
Old 2012-04-05, 15:11   Link #488
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafaramir View Post
Why do I feel like the age of wimpy, Shinji-like characters are coming back in full bloom? On the other hand, SAO MC feels like he's the virtual reality version of Kenshin.
Many male MC in anime these days are like that.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-04-05, 16:46   Link #489
kitten320

^Is getting really over used and boring. Almost all of them go by same formula and are lucky bastards.

Hariyuki better make some formula changes.

P.S. (Meant for someone else) Never looked down on a weak person in real life so don't get your point. If I ever got annoyed with weakling in real life that's only because I always remember myself from the past and it irritates me. Seeing someone even worse just makes me want to shake them so they would get on right path. Being a bully was never in my book.

Characters from fiction are totally different thing especially if they are MCs. Those guys almost always have things served to them, especially if they are weak. There is always this nice person or power or circumstance that suddenly allows them to get to the top.

I only got to episode 18 in Guilty Crown and truthfully, so far I feel bad for him. He actually got it rough. He is not such a lucky MC so far.

Last edited by kitten320; 2012-04-05 at 17:00.
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 18:29   Link #490
mochichan

^
Honestly you're the first person I heard that feel sorry for Shinji XD

The wimpy formula work because majority of the anime fans in japan ie otakus that aren't really.....the...popular guy type :P
It's so those fans can relate. Also by pairing the wimpy character to this cute/cool/princess type girl character, it help play out their fantasy.
mochichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 20:55   Link #491
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
Many male MC in anime these days are like that.
I don't think comparing male MCs these days to Shinji is accurate. I seem to recall those protagonists having their lives improved and getting rewarded when it wasn't called for, which was the exact opposite of what Shinji went through. I think a more accurate person to compare to would be Yuji Sakai, personally. Now that guy is getting copied alot.

Quote:
I like Shinji too. He's a great role reversal of what happens to a wimp character when they get power they don't deserve or can't handle. Plus, I never found him that annoying.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 03:12   Link #492
blewin

I like 99% of episode 1 and 2, but the premise of a story set in a game world spells shounen to me. I hope Accel World offers more than just an anime about leveling up.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 06:13   Link #493
Seiryuu

Never heard of this before, but it looks interesting. Unless I'm mistaking, do we have a relationship dynamic similar to Linebarrels?
Spoiler for Linebarrels relationship:
I hope this is the case because it makes for a nicer dynamic than the only alternative I can think of. If it's not like that then the constant concern starts to look like pity, like that person is sticking with him simply to be there for someone who can't take care of himself... Which of course is how it looks to him and must make his every interaction just a little painful.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 07:44   Link #494
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochichan View Post
^

The wimpy formula work because majority of the anime fans in japan ie otakus that aren't really.....the...popular guy type :P
It's so those fans can relate. Also by pairing the wimpy character to this cute/cool/princess type girl character, it help play out their fantasy.
I was talking about Shu from Guilty Crown
Evangelion is still in my plan to watch list
Old 2012-04-06, 09:14   Link #495
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

But I don't want to watch those type of MCs!! I watch anime because I want to enjoy it, not get pissed off. *cough* Makoto *cough* School Days.

Anyway, I finally got over my judgmental mood and decided to watch Accel World. I mean, it's gotta be good right since it's the same author of SAO? Well, so far, it's pretty okay. Fatman isn't the best out there but he isn't the worst either. At least he got over his inferiority complex quick and we won't have to deal with it in 8728919263 episodes like Guilty Crown.

More Lulu/Light/Kirito/Kenshin/Ryner/Katsuragi (TWGOK) type of male leads please?

Oh Shinji is actually the most realistic version of all the wimpy MCs out there.
Old 2012-04-06, 09:46   Link #496
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
You forgot Eikichi Onizuka. That guy is totally awesome. on-topic: I didn't mind Haruyuki that much tho.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 10:58   Link #497
Yagami Kyo

This series is destined to become epic. In fact, it's been a while since I've seen a female protagonist as good as Kuroyukihime. And Accel World is from the same author as Sword Art Online, isn't it? I think it will be another great series when it starts.

As for the episodes, I really liked the fact that averything has weak points. Even the protagonist. It's not a battle game in which you just are stronger and stronger. The sencond episode showed us that thinking and finding those weak points will be important in the episodes to come.
Yagami Kyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 12:41   Link #498
AdamEndless9
Straight-Edge Dragon Hero

Viz seems to be streaming Accel World now: http://www.hulu.com/accel-world
Old 2012-04-06, 13:36   Link #499
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEndless9 View Post
Viz seems to be streaming Accel World now: http://www.hulu.com/accel-world
It's obvious to see Viz releasing a Dengeki title. The other one who exactly have the same theory was Shakugan no Shana.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-04-06, 15:09   Link #500
Miraluka
Banned

The opening:

Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, cyberpunk, harem, sci-fi, shounen