AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-03-21, 07:34   Link #81
Auria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Ever hear of Madoka Magica?

If you go way back, there's Phantom: Requiem of a Phantom. Although IIRC, he only wrote a few episodes of that.

He's also wrote many VNs, probably the most famous of which being Saya no Uta (be warned! That VN is known to cause nightmares ).
He wrote the VN that Phantom is based on too (and it's a much better adaption than the Phantom OVA some years earlier) so I think one can watch it to get a good impression of his work (an impression that I personally liked a lot)
Regarding his VNs I also recommend checking out Kikokugai next to Saya.
Auria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 08:20   Link #82
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Stuff I like about Gen:

The way he writes his stories is solid. Though he can get gruesome, he actually follows quite a predictable path in storytelling. It's not unique but it's amazing how he can always make it work whether it was Madoka, Phantom, Fate/Zero and Psycho Pass. If there's one thing I'm always confident with him, it's definitely his ability to construct stories.

Stuff I don't like as much about Gen:

It's nitpicking but his characters (as other people have observed) are more of ideals than actual characters. Of course not all of them since he does also make his fair share of amazing characters (with a lot of development) like Akane (Psycho Pass), Homuhomu, and most notable Rider and Waver. In this sense, the way he writes his characters is very westernized wherein he makes characters full of development but in expense, characters with not as much to sort of make balances. Again it's the same with how he makes his stories. He follows this construct that usually works, but in the case of his characters; not always. It's really nitpicking but when you see series like Chihayafuru developing EVERY single character proving that no one has to be static to make a good story (then again Chihayafuru is character-focused but you know what I mean) then you start wondering things like these.

In short: Gen is an amazing writer. Everything he writes is almost always gonna be solid.
Old 2013-03-21, 08:26   Link #83
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Based on the previous posts, and the common criticisms adressed at Urobuchi, it's quite telling that he is more a story-driven writer than a character-driven writer. But the division itself is arbitrary since his characters affect the plot and are as much affected by the plot. Madoka starts as simple "Mahou Shoujo fight Abominations" but gains its depth through the "soul searching" of Madoka who witness the suffering, tries to understand the suffering then works to ease the suffering since she have awakened to her calling as a mahou shoujo.
Old 2013-03-21, 08:37   Link #84
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Based on the previous posts, and the common criticisms adressed at Urobuchi, it's quite telling that he is more a story-driven writer than a character-driven writer. But the division itself is arbitrary since his characters affect the plot and are as much affected by the plot. Madoka starts as simple "Mahou Shoujo fight Abominations" but gains its depth through the "soul searching" of Madoka who witness the suffering, tries to understand the suffering then works to ease the suffering since she have awakened to her calling as a mahou shoujo.
Actually, in my opinion, Madoka's more of an ideal than a character herself. She's more of like an example of what can happen to a Magical Girl if she thinks this way (much like the other three// excluding Homuhomu). It's definitely because of how plot-driven the writing is and in all honesty, even if she and most of the characters in Madoka Magica are more of representations than actual characters, it doesn't hurt the series one bit. I don't see that many people making anime that's a solidly constructed as Madoka is.
Old 2013-03-21, 12:09   Link #85
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
I like his works, but Madoka is probably the weakest amongst them. Here we have all those episodes piling up despair after despair...and then blamo Deus Ex Machina SUPAH HAPPY END! (compared to his other works, of course)

The contrast is jarring - it's like he's this close to pulling the trigger, only to chicken out at the very last second.
Actually, that was far from a happy ending. . .You obviously did not get it. You should watch it again. Hell even the VA's cried at the ending (because it was not a happy one) watch it again, I don't want to spoil it for you.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 12:28   Link #86
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Urobuchi was at the french convention epitanime , sadly he came to town just as I was leaving Paris so I wasn't able to attend but we should get some panel recaps and interviews at some point, but for now here's a picture of him with Rider's cape

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-05-21, 19:51   Link #87
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Lol that's awesome.

I heard that rider was actually his favourite character.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 21:00   Link #88
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Yeah, it was supposed to be like Nero Saber, but Nasu liked this one... and he made this one as a result of the Urobochi Rider (A different tyrant).
Old 2013-05-21, 21:16   Link #89
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
And this showcased something normal people could never achieve.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 17:32   Link #90
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
With sunglasses... Rider surpassed everything.
Old 2013-05-23, 04:05   Link #91
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

He wore a "Admirable: Grand Strategy" t-shirt for his Fate/Zero panel at Sakuracon in Seattle last year - limited edition item in Japan apparently, probably not what the guy asking about it was hoping to hear.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 06:33   Link #92
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
is Blassreiter had something to do with Kamen Rider influence? just asking about it
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 06:52   Link #93
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
He wore a "Admirable: Grand Strategy" t-shirt for his Fate/Zero panel at Sakuracon in Seattle last year - limited edition item in Japan apparently, probably not what the guy asking about it was hoping to hear.
At Otakon, he wore one of those Kyuubei giant face shirts underneath one of the Assassin hoodies.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 17:28   Link #94
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Interview's out.

http://www.wakanim.tv/dossier/16/5/i...-kosaka-takaki

Things that caught my interest:
  • If somebody asked him to work on a Saya no Uta adaptation, he'd do it. However, he would rather make something new.
  • He constrained himself as much as he could when writing Fate/zero, even though Nasu gave him a lot of leeway and told him he could ignore some plot points.
  • He'd be happy to write another story set in the Nasuverse.
  • He used Bayside Shakedown as an inspiration to write Psycho-pass, since the director of the series had worked on this licence. He figured his script would be accepted this way.
  • For Madoka, he was asked from the start by the producers to make a very dark magical girl series. He says he had difficulties writing it and that most of it was salvaged by Shaft's artistic sense.
  • He says there's something evil inside him that he can channel through writing. Thanks to that he could avoid becoming a criminal lol
  • Madoka's third movie will divide the fans. He's ready to face the consequences.
  • Urobuchi provided the original concept of Gargantia but a lot of things were changed when Murata joined the project. Gargantia is stronly influenced by Murata. He created the whole fleet concept and was the one who named it Gargantia.
  • He believes he is perfectly able to write something different from his usual stories i.e. not filled with despair. However, producers always ask him for dark and gripping stories (Gargantia seems to be an exception, as he was asked to write a story that could cheer young people on). The interviewers asked if he'd be willing to write slice of life stories, and he says he's already experimenting with that in Gargantia. He gives other writers the main guidelines and let them do as he wishes since slice of life is not his strong suit.
  • Urobuchi used to make educational games for kids.
Old 2013-05-28, 07:04   Link #95
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Have some imaginary rep Kanon,I was too lazy to recap the interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Urobuchi used to make educational games for kids.
That one came as a surprise!

I'll just add that there seems to indeed be more Madoka on the way after the movie,he's working on it with Shinbo.

He also said he's working on something that should really surprise people.There's rumor he's working on a kid's show,so it could be that.
Old 2013-05-28, 09:14   Link #96
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Madoka's third movie will divide the fans. He's ready to face the consequences.
My gut feeling is that the ending to the TV series will be more or less "undone" in some fashion. And if so, yes, that will divide the fans. I personally was quite satisfied with Madoka Magica's ending.

Still, I can imagine some ways that Madoka Magica's ending could be undone that I'd find palatable, at least. So I'm going to take a wait and see approach.
Old 2013-05-28, 10:26   Link #97
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

More accurately, he said it will "divide opinions". It's his "I'm ready to face the consequences" that scares me the most. That means he's expecting backlash. There's got to be something pretty controversial in this movie, like say, a massive bad ending. Whether I end up liking this movie or not, I commend him for writing what he wanted to write, instead of what the fans wanted him to write.
Old 2013-05-28, 10:35   Link #98
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
More accurately, he said it will "divide opinions". It's his "I'm ready to face the consequences" that scares me the most. That means he's expecting backlash. There's got to be something pretty controversial in this movie, like say, a massive bad ending. Whether I end up liking this movie or not, I commend him for writing what he wanted to write, instead of what the fans wanted him to write.
So you don't think that writers should write what fans want them to write? You don't think that should be a consideration at all?

This is entertainment, you know. And it is a commercial industry.
Old 2013-05-28, 11:02   Link #99
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

A writer's main concern should be that his work is interesting and/or entertaining. Wanting to please everybody will inevitably impede on your creative freedom at some point. It's best to do what makes you happy, and hope others will like it. It's important to take criticism into account, but I don't think it's good to let others dictate what you should write otherwise you'll just end up making some sort of fanfiction. A good writer needs to be a little selfish.
Old 2013-05-28, 11:04   Link #100
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
  • Urobuchi provided the original concept of Gargantia but a lot of things were changed when Murata joined the project. Gargantia is stronly influenced by Murata. He created the whole fleet concept and was the one who named it Gargantia
Major point that was mentioned before in Epitanime: Urobuchi only wrote Episode 1 and 12 script, as he considered the beginning and the ending of a series as the most important part of a series.
That explains a lot of things regarding Gargantia narration and themes.

Tags
urobuchi gen