AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-25, 11:31   Link #241
garbage

took a lot of time to ready myself to watch this again. But the very first scene eased my mind... but
funny from the start
- the umbrella love drawing
- throwing the mike at the end of karaoke
- sheep kotoura
and happy...just like the title said
- kotoura saying "this is the happiest..." just as they were leaving the tunnel, and the sun suddenly shining on her face
turned frightening >.<
- I was so frightened & MAD that it was kotoura that moritani asked them to attack. But then kotoura would know immediately who the mastermind is, ah Moritani & those 2 they're not REAL Martial Artist if they can do such a thing, here would the discipline & honor be. But it was plausible with the end explanation that moritani tricked them that Manabe's a stalker.
then ended up really sad.
- " ..the people around me always end up unhappy"
- " I couldn't protect her"
kept thinking what I would have done in that situation, if I could have done any better...

didn't expect they'll separate so fast. from this episode we find out she does try to keep it in, unlike when she was really young. of course it's almost a given she'll be back,how? though is the question. I'm guessing Moritani will have something to contribute to the return, easing her part & role in the ESP society. Hope the separation wont last long cant bear that sadness again.

PS.Manabe-kun's no pushover, wow that was 4 vs 1, not to mention all 4 ( or at least 2) opponents were Martial arts practitioners and bigger to boot, and they got roughed up that bad 2 had to be
helped.
Old 2013-01-25, 11:54   Link #242
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I am speechless at Moritani's action. How could she go that far? She even stuck her tongue out when she asked her cronies to "rough him up a little". Absolutely selfish and very immature. The ED implies that she may perhaps change for the better and become part of the gang, but even so, her appearance in future episodes will just be an eyesore for me.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 11:58   Link #243
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I really like the dynamic between the club prez, and daichi. Daichi's character design looks rather odd, but its neat that he has a rather serious observational side and I like how he's there to support the prez and to make sure she isn't consumed by whatever agenda she seems to have.

Also love all the imo subtle actions between the two that showed they were close even before saying they were childhood friends this episode.

lol, not even close. You see the mother in the opening credits walking by looking miserable.

That being said, I wonder from the preview seems Kotoura goes back to her grandfather/monk guy's place. Wonder if we will see the mother again soon. Since she shows up in the opening credits, as well as in chibi form running with everyone else near the end. Maybe the two make up a bit, probably not full reconciliation, but at least a forgiveness for abandoning her.
What I meant being her with a happy face. We don't know about her life after she left she might have gotten happy again and got that ssour look back when she met her daughter again.
You are probably right though.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 12:21   Link #244
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
PS.Manabe-kun's no pushover, wow that was 4 vs 1, not to mention all 4 ( or at least 2) opponents were Martial arts practitioners and bigger to boot, and they got roughed up that bad 2 had to be
helped.
That’s why he’s named MANabe. He has MAN in his name!
Old 2013-01-25, 14:03   Link #245
Theo

Okay, I can accept they (eventually) come to terms and accept/forgive MORI MORI MORI despite her stupidity. I can accept they let her in.

But please tell me there are lingering consequences for these events and they effect the relationships between these characters.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 14:17   Link #246
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
But please tell me there are lingering consequences for these events and they effect the relationships between these characters.
It doesn't seem like "lingering consequences" are the norm in anime. More oft than not characters can act like complete jerks (abusing girlfriends, abusing boyfriends, abusing friends, family, or complete strangers, etc., etc.) and suffer absolutely no ill consequences at all. And it's more likely than not that it isn't that they are forgiven for their actions, rather, they just get away with it. It must be a cultural thing.

For instance, when Mom comes back into the picture, Kotoura will most likely simply forgive her. I wouldn't. There's nothing she could ever say or do that would convince me that she should be forgiven for what she did to her own child. I wouldn't even ever want to see her again.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 15:15   Link #247
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

But there is a good reason for Kotoura to easily forgive these characters: she can tell whether they're sincere in their apology, a perk of her telepathy. If they still had some lingering resentment or they're just putting on an act she'll see right through it in an instant. Also, as we've seen Kotoura is more the type to blame herself for what's happening than hold a grudge against someone else. She's simply not the type to do so.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 15:38   Link #248
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I do hope we get to see a bit more balance in Koutoura herself, though. So far she's a victim without blemish and somewhat unbelievably forgiving as we see at the end of episode three. That makes her less human and less interesting as a character in the long run.
She is still young, in time she will become a rippa na adult that holds grudges just about everything and everyone.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 16:34   Link #249
Itlandm
Porcupine

It is a true saying that to understand someone is practically the same as forgiving them. I think because of the intensity of Moritani's feelings in class, Kotoura could not just read the words of her thoughts but her feelings as well. So I am not entirely surprised by her reaction. She believes that she has hurt a lot of people deeply herself, after all, so the remorse that Moritani felt must have echoed pretty strongly in her. That is why I think she could understand Moritani better than anyone. Hurting people thoughtlessly is Kotoura's life story, as far as she sees it. We see it otherwise, of course.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 19:43   Link #250
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
Still surprised that a few people watch this anime...
Personally, I don't know whether the phenomenon applied only to AS. I mean, as much as the manga is selling out left and right, I'm not too sure whether the popularity is still relatively limited to, let say, the Niconico crowd...

As far as the episode...
1. Kanemoto Hisako shows her true singing skill...
2. Manabe is awesome no matter which way you look at it. If anything he's the true definition of "Hentai Ouji" lol (Saying he's "prince" just b/c he's more like a shoujo manga male main than your typical useless, clueless harem lead...)
3. Didn't expect the end to go like this. But then, everything should be good next episode (I mean, this is 12 episodes, Kotoura just can't stay away forever...)
4. As far as Moritani, she's still a normal, insecure girl no matter which way you look at it. Will audience starts to hate her? In my opinion, much like Yuriko, she's just not a good villain.

Last edited by ion475; 2013-01-25 at 19:58.
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 20:06   Link #251
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
But there is a good reason for Kotoura to easily forgive these characters: she can tell whether they're sincere in their apology, a perk of her telepathy. If they still had some lingering resentment or they're just putting on an act she'll see right through it in an instant. Also, as we've seen Kotoura is more the type to blame herself for what's happening than hold a grudge against someone else. She's simply not the type to do so.
I agree that Kotoura is quick to blame everything on herself. Don't think just because she can read someone's mind that she can always tell true emotions though

Most of the time its obvious, because people wear their emotions in their inner thoughts on their shelves. But if they know Kotoura can read their minds, they can use it.

Even though it was a comedic moment, Daichi showed it this episode. With thinking of torturing and cutting up Kotoura. Or the pres, Kotoura isn't able to sense an ulterior motive or something hidden.
Old 2013-01-25, 20:08   Link #252
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Finally got around to seeing episode 3, though I've gotta say I ended up with mixed feelings about it.
Getting the good stuff out of the way... Kotoura-san is an anime that handles itself pretty damn well when it comes to lighthearted comedy. Plus the characters really go well with eachothers and their interactions are always fun to watch. However, the drama in this episode left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

First, I can't understand what kind of childhood friend manipulates others into "roughing up" the person she likes. In fact, I haven't disliked a character in anime as much as I do her in a long time now. As far as yanderes go, she's a pretty lousy and annoying one.

Second... Kotoura just going "It's okay MANabe will be fine" after witnessing the little emotional breakdown Moritani was having just didn't sit well with me. Show some anger for christ sake! That girl just ordered a hit on the guy you're in love with. It just feels very... anime-ish to smile, forgive and forget without consequence.

And finally...why would she leave? I can understand the "people get close to me and they get hurt" feeling, but lets face it, how long has it been since someone accepted her for what she was? How does...NEVER sound? This was the first time a group of people accepted that she was different and were perfectly okay with it. Hell, she even read MANabe's thoughts at the hospital...she knows he wants to be there for her. So why? To go back to an existance where no one cares about her?

This episode just makes me feel like this anime is trying too hard to provide drama.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 20:22   Link #253
garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post
Second... Kotoura just going "It's okay MANabe will be fine" after witnessing the little emotional breakdown Moritani was having just didn't sit well with me. Show some anger for christ sake! That girl just ordered a hit on the guy you're in love with. It just feels very... anime-ish to smile, forgive and forget without consequence.
I take it that she's just so kind, that she can hardly be angry/mad with someone. Coupled with her tendency to blame everything on herself, a Neurosis she most probably developed growing up that way. It's like a she's so good it's bad thing. As Manabe said she tends to keep and take everything on herself
Quote:
And finally...why would she leave? I can understand the "people get close to me and they get hurt" feeling, but lets face it, how long has it been since someone accepted her for what she was? How does...NEVER sound? This was the first time a group of people accepted that she was different and were perfectly okay with it. Hell, she even read MANabe's thoughts at the hospital...she knows he wants to be there for her. So why? To go back to an existance where no one cares about her?

This episode just makes me feel like this anime is trying too hard to provide drama.
which makes it worse, for the first time she has people caring for her and she genuinely cares about and yet she is getting them hurt (well at least in her view) and she just cant take it. So she decided to leave, wrong decision though it might be. makes me sad too that she left but very understandable from her viewpoint and character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
well the way you stated that seemed leaning towards the negative, but i would rather there be "consequences" only on the more positive side. deeper understanding &/or friendship that sort of thing. it would be backsliding and kinda stupid to keep reopening old wounds just to "get even."
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
It doesn't seem like "lingering consequences" are the norm in anime. More oft than not characters can act like complete jerks (abusing girlfriends, abusing boyfriends, abusing friends, family, or complete strangers, etc., etc.) and suffer absolutely no ill consequences at all. And it's more likely than not that it isn't that they are forgiven for their actions, rather, they just get away with it. It must be a cultural thing.

For instance, when Mom comes back into the picture, Kotoura will most likely simply forgive her. I wouldn't. There's nothing she could ever say or do that would convince me that she should be forgiven for what she did to her own child. I wouldn't even ever want to see her again.
wow that would a pretty dark and dismal world to live in, where their is no such thing as forgiveness. Granted it's stupid to just let things go by as if nothing happened, and yes it's quite hard to forgive. But saying Never forgive(never is such a long time) helps no one, much less the affronted party. lingering on past grudges would just stunt one's own development. Makes your own baggage heavy. Not saying forget everything,one must learn from it, but don't let it limit your own view, focusing on a "grudge" or"getting even" or even "justice", after that let bygones be bygones especially if the other party is truly sincere. move on and be better for it.

Last edited by garbage; 2013-01-25 at 20:47. Reason: additional replies
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 20:32   Link #254
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah, it wasn't that surprising she ran. Getting hurt herself has been a constant in her life to this point. Finally finds a place where she's being accepted (by some) and those people are instead getting hurt. With all she's been through she blames herself for everything. Even sees Moritani as her fault. Running so she's isolated and thus the only one being hurt would seem to be the most logical choice in her mind.

Of course reality isn't like that, but it's about her own perceptions. At an emotionally unstable point where if things start going wrong, Kotoura has that instinct to pull back and isolate.
Old 2013-01-25, 20:47   Link #255
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

I guess it makes sense and all.. I just hoped that Kotoura would try harder to stay with the first group of people that accepted her instead of running away that quickly, you know?

Then again, she's likely to be back in the next episode, so it's not like it matters..
Old 2013-01-25, 21:16   Link #256
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
wow that would a pretty dark and dismal world to live in, where their is no such thing as forgiveness. Granted it's stupid to just let things go by as if nothing happened, and yes it's quite hard to forgive. But saying Never forgive(never is such a long time) helps no one, much less the affronted party. lingering on past grudges would just stunt one's own development. Makes your own baggage heavy. Not saying forget everything,one must learn from it, but don't let it limit your own view, focusing on a "grudge" or"getting even" or even "justice", after that let bygones be bygones especially if the other party is truly sincere. move on and be better for it.
You're jumping to conclusions thinking that not being able to forgive one person for their actions means never being able to forgive anyone. Nor does it mean "lingering on past grudges" nor "stunt one's own development," etc., etc.

Why does every person who has done horrible things need to be forgiven? Is it a cultural thing? Religious? Being truly sincere, for an extreme example, does not bring back the dead that you murdered.

What mom did was not only horrible as a mother, it was horrible as a human being. In my [very obviously biased] opinion, she does not deserve to be forgiven.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 21:23   Link #257
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
This was the first time a group of people accepted that she was different and were perfectly okay with it. Hell, she even read MANabe's thoughts at the hospital...she knows he wants to be there for her. So why? To go back to an existance where no one cares about her?

Why?Because she feels they're better off without her, she's not for one second thinking about her own happiness and just does what she feels like is best for the others.She feels she's doing them a favor.

That's one of the few dramatic aspects of the show that didn't feel one bit forced to me.
Old 2013-01-25, 22:12   Link #258
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
First, I can't understand what kind of childhood friend manipulates others into "roughing up" the person she likes. In fact, I haven't disliked a character in anime as much as I do her in a long time now. As far as yanderes go, she's a pretty lousy and annoying one.
Just thought I'd throw this out there since I was not aware there were multiple types of Yandere, so I had to do a bit of research. Posting the important part here for anyone (like me) that didn't know.

From TVTropes:
Possessive: This type of Yandere is so in love with their crush that (s)he's willing to kill their beloved to prevent other love interests from taking him/her away from him/her. Severed head in a bag? Fair game.

Obsessive: This type of Yandere is willing to kill off their competition so (s)he can be closer to their loved one.

-----------
I was only aware of the obsessive type, but anyways, on to Moritani. I already don't like her, but maybe that's because I'm not liking the possessive type Yandere. And judging from the ED, she's going to be joining the little circle of friends in the club room. >_<;

I felt the buildup to help understand as to why she would be so possessive was severely lacking, it kinda came out of nowhere for me. Could it be that the anime is rushing the story? I haven't checked the source, don't even know if it's manga or novel.

Anyway, it's getting interesting. It sure is a nice change of pace as far as anime genres go.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 22:15   Link #259
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Why?Because she feels they're better off without her, she's not for one second thinking about her own happiness and just does what she feels like is best for the others.She feels she's doing them a favor.

That's one of the few dramatic aspects of the show that didn't feel one bit forced to me.
Because she can read minds and therefore she knows very well that MANabe really cares for her and that he'd do anything in his power to protect her. And more importantly, that he didn't blame her one bit for what happened.

So after being with them for a while and listening to his thoughts at the hospital, her notion that she has to get away in order to protect them just doesn't sound right to me. Just feels like an overused device where the main character runs off, only to find herself reunited with her friends later and they go "We're friends, LOL!" and they all live happily thereafter.

Most characters don't have the luxury of being able to read thoughts, so they can rightfully feel nervous about the possibility of their friends blaming them for what happened. This is not the case with Kotoura. She should've known better.
And as I mentioned in my previous post, after being neglected her whole life, she should cherish the first friends she made better, instead of abandoning them (even if she did so to protect them... in her silly head). Buuut that's probably the lesson she'll learn next episode. Alongside the "We're friends, LOL" speech, dramatic music, tears and maybe Moritani trying to be less of a bitch.
Old 2013-01-25, 22:43   Link #260
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
I haven't checked the source, don't even know if it's manga or novel.
It's neither. It's a 4-koma ("four-panel") comic like Peanuts, Lucky*Star, and Hidamari Sketch.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4-koma, drama, romantic comedy, school life, seinen, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy