AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 77 42.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 53 29.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 33 18.13%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 7.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.65%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.55%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.55%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-28, 01:18   Link #221
Sovran

By the way, when they started using judo hold or something to immobilize Tenshi, didn't Kanade tell Otonashi in the previous episode that she has passive Overdrive ability, Tenshi wouldn't have any problem getting out of such a grip.
Old 2010-05-28, 03:40   Link #222
Crontica

Lol at this Biased Yuri hate. I know that the endless eight fiasco was mind breakingly nightmare-that-shouldn't-be-happening bad. But is it THAT BAD for the hate to bleed into another franchise? another medium? ANOTHER PLANE OF EXISTENCE!?

Now i know Yuri's eyes are sharp, she may have the capacity to scoop up lies in order hold the guild together but guess what?
SHE DOESN'T EVEN NEED TO. God damit man she DIED lost everything, her justifications are solid law. Why do i even need to repeat this?

Now we know abit more about Kanade she has become a sympathetic-able character. But i can't back her up i mean what is there to back up? she is a stubborn case, trying to be the lone hero when she may know full well how much anger the forsaken who were brought here may have.

Now until you can back up your Anti-Yuri arguments with actual episodic evidence that is equal or above Naoi level then your arguments are moot.
Old 2010-05-28, 03:52   Link #223
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I honestly wonder at the Yuri hate. They all say she's just a bully when it seems clear she's made the reasonable assumptions and decisions. But the one person they compare her too, Haruhi, is an unabashed obnoxious bully and everyone loves her...
Old 2010-05-28, 04:03   Link #224
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I honestly wonder at the Yuri hate. They all say she's just a bully when it seems clear she's made the reasonable assumptions and decisions. But the one person they compare her too, Haruhi, is an unabashed obnoxious bully and everyone loves her...
I sometimes wonder about the general forum population, maybe the reasonable ones are too busy marathoning anime or out playing sports.
Old 2010-05-28, 04:23   Link #225
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Actually I think it's mostly because Kanade has been almost completely portrayed as a classic pitiful victim, thereby appeal to emotion rather than reason.

There's also the Haruhiists. Yes I made a sweeping generalization but you can't deny it's also true.
Old 2010-05-28, 04:39   Link #226
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Actually I think it's mostly because Kanade has been almost completely portrayed as a classic pitiful victim, thereby appeal to emotion rather than reason.
As long as Yuri is doing this with justification, I'd never cry foul over it. I'm just worried of the effects of what happened, but given the alternative scenario, I'm actually glad Yuri accidentally minimizes the problem.

What good can a single Yellow Kanade do against an army of red ones?
Old 2010-05-28, 05:20   Link #227
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
As long as Yuri is doing this with justification, I'd never cry foul over it. I'm just worried of the effects of what happened, but given the alternative scenario, I'm actually glad Yuri accidentally minimizes the problem.

What good can a single Yellow Kanade do against an army of red ones?
One of Three things:

1. Moe
2. Awesome
3. Harem

Take your pick.
Old 2010-05-28, 07:32   Link #228
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Actually you forgot one more option:

4. Bloodbath.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-05-28, 08:30   Link #229
FlashFumo
Wait, what?

That was... so very, very epic.

Glasses!Yuri was very pleasing, and Yuri's fight with the Tenshi clone was so awesome.

At first I really didn't like this show, but it's been getting better and better. This is definitely my favourite episode so far.
Old 2010-05-28, 08:31   Link #230
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Pretty much all Yuri hate is pretty biased from what I've seen. The way she tried to 'kill' Tenshi is just because it is the result of her thoughts and...reasons ? >_>;

Her friends are dissapearing one by one because they 'study' and 'follow the rules' (forgive me if I'm wrong), and Tenshi follow the rule but didn't dissapear....Not to mention, her outstanding ability.

If it were me, I too will do the same as Yuri and thinks that Tenshi is an existence that is 'not human'.

Old 2010-05-28, 11:44   Link #231
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

that's where i disagree with you guys. as the first one to rebel (perhaps second, not enough development yet) Yuri has the chance to lay out the rules of the world, whether they're true or not. yes, she says you'll disappear if you do what you're supposed to do, but thus far, no one has actually disappeared from doing normal things. as far as we know, no one as even disappeared yet during the course of the show, minus Iwasawa, and that was from "finding her purpose" and not fitting in.

plus throw in all the subtle little hints like her subordinates telling her she's acting like a villain, her inability to accept Tenshi into the group during the fishing ep, her willingness to sacrifice her own club members to achieve what she thinks is the best course of action and probably other things from eps i've forgotten, and you've got a person who manipulated her way to her current position. if you honestly can't read between the lines and see that there was a reasonable chance that Yuri manipulated those around her to get to where she is, then i suggest you read some good literature because your interpretation skills aren't where they should be.

in short: she's bitter about what happened to her and will do anything to get back God. she realized that God doesn't exist in this world, and thus will get back at any authority figure. her sole purpose is to get revenge or justification for what happened to her in life, and she will use everyone around her as a means to do so.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2010-05-28, 11:47   Link #232
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
that's where i disagree with you guys. as the first one to rebel (perhaps second, not enough development yet) Yuri has the chance to lay out the rules of the world, whether they're true or not. yes, she says you'll disappear if you do what you're supposed to do, but thus far, no one has actually disappeared from doing normal things. as far as we know, no one as even disappeared yet during the course of the show, minus Iwasawa, and that was from "finding her purpose" and not fitting in.

plus throw in all the subtle little hints like her subordinates telling her she's acting like a villain, her inability to accept Tenshi into the group during the fishing ep, her willingness to sacrifice her own club members to achieve what she thinks is the best course of action and probably other things from eps i've forgotten, and you've got a person who manipulated her way to her current position. if you honestly can't read between the lines and see that there was a reasonable chance that Yuri manipulated those around her to get to where she is, then i suggest you read some good literature because your interpretation skills aren't where they should be.

in short: she's bitter about what happened to her and will do anything to get back God. she realized that God doesn't exist in this world, and thus will get back at any authority figure. her sole purpose is to get revenge or justification for what happened to her in life, and she will use everyone around her as a means to do so.
Also add in the fact that in ep 6 (the massacre ep) when Naoi revealed that people disappear when their regrets are cleared up. Yuri looks at Hinata, who looks back with shock (indicating that Yuri knows about it but hid it from the group. I was expecting some SSS members to defect)

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2010-05-28, 12:12   Link #233
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Also add in the fact that in ep 6 (the massacre ep) when Naoi revealed that people disappear when their regrets are cleared up. Yuri looks at Hinata, who looks back with shock (indicating that Yuri knows about it but hid it from the group. I was expecting some SSS members to defect)
Your "indicating" assumption is wrong btw, Yuri told Hinata right in their first day as partners, that he should not be satisfied if he do not want to run the risk of disappearing. That pretty much the same with the case of Isawara there.
Even the newbie Otonashi can realise that much through Yuri reaction to the issue (as in ep 4 and his worry over Hinata), and you expected that to be her hidden secret?

Seriously. Back in first few eps, we had all these speculations about how Yuri is trying to manipulate the SSS and corner Yuri up as an enemy. Then her lack of response against disheartened Tenshi moved the speculation up to "she will be fine as long as she can have someone (Naoi) to trash angers at ". By ep 7, I thought all of these came to an end when the SS still run fine without a nemesis and how Yuri easily accept both Naoi and Tenshi to be with them. But i failed to see how it can be resurrected once again here.

Yurippe was manipulating her way up? You mean she probably used her sex appeal (flashed her panty->true story) to seduce Hinata dying for her sake, then manipulate Oyama to befriend with Hinata, then toy with Chaa's emotions to bow down to her? If she can do that much, she is a Goddess herself there
Old 2010-05-28, 13:21   Link #234
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
Wasn't that established in the prequel novel?

Quote:
plus throw in all the subtle little hints like her subordinates telling her she's acting like a villain,
Once. It happened once.

And it was played for laughs, which clearly suggests we're not supposed to take it seriously.

Quote:
her inability to accept Tenshi into the group during the fishing ep,
Just about everyone besides Otonashi had that problem. The only indication is that she didn't join in with the monster fishing orgy. That's hardly very indicative. You'd have to specifically want to interpret it like that. When Otonashi first suggested Kanade join when she lost her Student council position, who was the one who immediately objected? Not Yuri. She remained silent on the matter. Who, during Naoi's tyranny specifically asked Otonashi to get Kanade to help them and even went as far as to prepare beforehand by giving Otonashi a means for communication for just such an occasion? It was Yuri. Who chimed in with Hinata and told Otonashi to go after Kanade this episode like she approved of the pair? It was Yuri. So doesn't any of that mean anything?

Quote:
her willingness to sacrifice her own club members to achieve what she thinks is the best course of action
Well she is the God damn leader. Ofcourse she's going to make decisions like that. In any case those 'sacrifices' are 90% of the time played for laughs as well, even by their own members. They're in a world where they can't physically die.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-05-28 at 16:38.
Old 2010-05-28, 19:14   Link #235
Crontica

This is making my head hurt, some peoples inability to tell apart plot points, comedy to environmental changes are appalling.

THEY CAN NOT DIE. her sacrificing them means NOTHING. Sacrifice is usually a PERMANENT MEANS OF DISPOSAL
on which Naoi WAS ON SUCH A LEVEL.

She is the leader because she is the most strong headed of the group not letting lost ideals get in the way of preventing a irreversible situation if she did not act NOW.

She went to the computer because it was the perfect chance to fully study it while the enemy was down she didn't have to change anything on the code but she did it for the sake of seeing if it actually worked.

This is not Uninhabited Planet Survive! This is Angel Beats! do not apply outdated detective work on the land of the dead.
Old 2010-05-30, 19:24   Link #236
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
This is making my head hurt, some peoples inability to tell apart plot points, comedy to environmental changes are appalling.

THEY CAN NOT DIE. her sacrificing them means NOTHING. Sacrifice is usually a PERMANENT MEANS OF DISPOSAL
on which Naoi WAS ON SUCH A LEVEL.

She is the leader because she is the most strong headed of the group not letting lost ideals get in the way of preventing a irreversible situation if she did not act NOW.

She went to the computer because it was the perfect chance to fully study it while the enemy was down she didn't have to change anything on the code but she did it for the sake of seeing if it actually worked.

This is not Uninhabited Planet Survive! This is Angel Beats! do not apply outdated detective work on the land of the dead.
I will have to side with Crontica on this one I think people just really wanna believe that Yuri is no good and using whatever excuse that can find to justify their hate. I just don't understand...
Old 2010-05-30, 22:47   Link #237
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Sorry to dig this up since we have ep 9 thread. But I will call Yuri 's action there "utilizing sustainable resources"

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-06-02 at 06:29.
Old 2010-06-02, 06:13   Link #238
Francismeunier
Banned

Talking

Kind of in the late with this episode's GIF but let me tell you that the Tenshi rush here=>

with the TK moonwalk was really fun to do but also during this episode Yuri with glasses was also a fresh view of her during that time. GIF can be found here: http://francismeunier.blogspot.com/2...de-8-gifs.html
Old 2010-07-20, 12:44   Link #239
PiNoypi

Wow, a great ep. Yuri with glasses was great too. Cant wait to watch the next episode.
Oh, the fight scenes between Yuri and Kanade are exciting
Closed Thread