AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-10, 14:58   Link #81
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Will this do?

Yaeh, that, I like it, *goes to change avatar*

Thanks.
EDIT: Oh, wait, can you make it go a bit faster?. LOL, blackstealth.

Last edited by Miraluka; 2012-07-10 at 17:10.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 17:04   Link #82
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

omg lol

If that can go just a bit faster, then it would be perfect. xD
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 20:16   Link #83
Texas84
よろしく

Yeah, loved the ED. But I was totally lost until the politics at the end. Obvious if you follow Japan at all. I'm guessing some of it was just silly fun nonsense. Andthecutegirls.
Texas84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 21:15   Link #84
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Some (or most) of the jokes just went over my head, so I'm guess I am one of those who following the anime only for the cute girls?

But the ED is addicting.
Old 2012-07-10, 21:54   Link #85
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well there not my kind of jokes but this seem promising
Old 2012-07-11, 00:04   Link #86
stassy

Translation review from the only subber doing it since all the others dropped it here, unfortunately he intend to review only his translation and not all the refs.
stassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 00:28   Link #87
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stassy View Post
Translation review from the only subber doing it since all the others dropped it here, unfortunately he intend to review only his translation and not all the refs.
Much appreciated. Now I can go back and watch it once again .
Old 2012-07-11, 01:28   Link #88
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Yaeh, that, I like it, *goes to change avatar*

Thanks.
EDIT: Oh, wait, can you make it go a bit faster?. LOL, blackstealth.
Try this:
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 03:43   Link #89
Sol Falling

This is my favourite show of the season. Less laugh out loud funny than Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, on account of indeed being more relaxed and distinctively cultural. On the other hand, for precisely those reasons, it's more consistent. JC Staff's clean/solid animation being put to good use here; I greatly enjoyed their other recent seinen comedy, Kill Me Baby, as well.

Also, dat ED. Holy shit, man, it's Hyadain + Momoiro Clover + the fucking Yoshida brothers. Too fucking gorgeous.

Having read a small bit of the manga, I also feel like the personalities of each the girls came out really well as well. They're already quite distinctive in my mind, although of course we haven't seen anything yet. An attempt at a tentative ranking:

Turquoise (Gan) = Yellow (Kigu) = Red (Marii) = Black (Kukuru) = Maroon (Tetra)

Anyway, to explain a few trivial aspects of the puns/oral dialogue I picked up:

- Within the first third of the episode, the girls first start off talking about "acting normally"/"things you do normally", and then move onto "casual clothing". In Japanese, the "normal" and "casual" parts were actually based on the same word, 普段 ("fudan"), meaning "usual". When you add 着 ("gi", i.e. "clothing") to the end, you get 普段着 ("fudangi") which is the aforementioned casual-wear. It's this sense of "usual" == things you always do which leads them to make the connection to "casual" == things you always wear, i.e. uniforms, pajamas.

- in the second section, Tetra first comments that it's a bit "unexpected" that Kigu is listening to death metal. When Gan shows up in her gothloli getup, she asks "what's unexpected?" as a followup to that comment. However, Tetra and Kigu ignore her, commenting "unexpected" in regards to her clothes, which is what leads Gan to asking "what is?" again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
By the way, did anyone get the ~issue word twisters in japanese?
Also in the second section, is the "tissue" pun people have been inquiring about. First of all, regarding the setup for the pun: in Japanese, the word for "wind" (as a fan produces) is 風 ("kaze"), whereas in slang within certain dramatic/performing industries, a handtowel/washcloth is called a まんだら ("mandara"). Whereas "kaze" is a commonplace word, "mandala" is an unusual construction, so Gan's "tissue" question was basically her asking "why is a mandala called a mandala?"
The lines which follow are basically all simple puns on "mandara" (most of them on "dara", which is an onomatopoeia for "slovenly" or "lazy"), i.e.:
そこの有問だらだらしない。 "Soko no umon daradara shinai."
人生我慢だらけの略かも。 "Jinseigaman darake no ryaku kamo."
自慢ダライ様! "Jiman Dalai-sama!"
When Marii appears:
だらしない。 "Darashinai."
And later:
成る程。有問だらしない。 "Naruhodo. Umon darashinai."

- in the third part, a note about the "dogs are only good for practicing" joke: this was briefly brushed upon in the notes posted on the translator's blog, but shamisen (the instruments) are traditionally made with animal skin. The skin which produces the best sound is commonly considered to be cat skin, while dog skin is more common and lower quality; thus everybody's horrified expressions when Kigu mistakes what Gan means by "practice" and suggests her own dog for a participant.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2012-07-12 at 19:14.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 08:09   Link #90
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Try this:
hahhaaha yesssssss
Old 2012-07-11, 11:05   Link #91
CWW
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stassy View Post
Quote:
空琉美遊亭丸京 (kuurubiyuutei gankyou), our bespectacled heroine. The first name is “cool beauty” while gankyou means “glasses” if written with different characters (眼鏡).
蕪羅亭魔梨威 (buratei marii), the red haired girl. Bloody Mary.
防波亭手寅 (bouhatei tetora): the purple haired girl. 防波堤 (bouhatei) means “breakwater” and tetora is for “tetrapod” (written as “palmtop tiger”).
波浪浮亭木胡桃 (haroukitei kigurumi): the blonde girl. Hello Kitty character costume (着ぐるみ).
暗落亭苦来 (anrakutei kukuru): the depressed girl. The anraku part either stands for “unlucky” or “euthanasia” (安楽死 anrakushi). 括る (kukuru) means to hang oneself.
mind = blown
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 11:40   Link #92
larethian

This is not really hilariously funny, but extremely educational for me. Reminds me of gatari series I'll watch this just for that.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 11:58   Link #93
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Both for me... some jokes and particularly situations, I found hilarious. But I agree the anime has a ton of little things about the culture that otherwise I would have never learned... e.g. pet-skinned shamisen
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 15:56   Link #94
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
But I agree the anime has a ton of little things about the culture that otherwise I would have never learned... e.g. pet-skinned shamisen
That I knew because the cat from Haruhi Suzumiya is named Shamisen. Which is kinda like naming your horse Glue.
Old 2012-07-11, 16:24   Link #95
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
This is my favourite show of the season. Less laugh out loud funny than Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita...

Also, dat ED. Holy shit, man, it's Hyadain + Momoiro Clover + the fucking Yoshida brothers. Too fucking gorgeous....
I just wanted to say Jinrui is my favorite this season too.

And thanks for confirming, I thought I went crazy when I thought the Yoshida Brothers were in the ED too, YESSS!!
Old 2012-07-11, 21:40   Link #96
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The main cast:

(l-r) Nanjou Yoshino, Sakura Ayane, Koiwai Kotori, Yamamoto Nozomi, Gotou Saori.

Nanjou-san is the current lead singer in fripSide and was Maria Osawa in Canaan. Sakura-san was Merry in Dream-Eater Merry. Koiwai-san is also a songwriter; this is her second anime role. Yamamoto-san is also fairly new; she was Yukimura in Haganai. Gotou-san starred in a previous rakugo anime, Rakugo Tennyou Oyui, in 2006.

To me, Nanjou and Gotou, with their very Asian faces, are two of the most attractive of all seiyuus. Nanjou likes to disguise herself with those cool glasses, lol. Check out this PV for another view. Gotou is deeply fey, but with a bit of steel behind her excessive femininity.

I find this a difficult anime, depending as it does on Japanese puns for much of its humour. The translation I saw did a nice job making them work in English.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 21:44   Link #97
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Gotou-san starred in a previous rakugo anime, Rakugo Tennyou Oyui, in 2006.
I noticed that when the cast was announced. She was also in the previous Kumeta series as Ai Kaga. The difference in Yui and Kukuru is pretty large. Yui is your typical hyperactive protagonist, while Kukuru is... eccentric. She's got a good range.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 21:46   Link #98
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Wait...she's the lead singer..for...oh God.
Old 2012-07-12, 09:55   Link #99
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

For an anime that is relying on having most of the episodes in one room with 5 girls talking.....It was a pretty godo episode in my opinion

Funny characters, breaking the forth wall, I like the fact that they know that they are in an anime and are trying their best to entertain us *Ahem* And when I say entertain, I mean entertain, if you're catching my drift *Ahem*

But yeah A nice first episode.
Old 2012-07-12, 11:03   Link #100
Utsuro no Hako

Some freebies from the ED:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Tags
comedy, shounen