AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-02, 23:20   Link #1981
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I'll post something serious again later, but to cool down the heat here's something funny:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Kyoani S
FMP/Haruhi fanboys M

Old 2013-05-03, 05:21   Link #1982
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
I'll post something serious again later, but to cool down the heat here's something funny:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Kyoani S
FMP/Haruhi fanboys M

I think all anime fans are deep down masochists.
Old 2013-05-03, 21:13   Link #1983
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Kyon is an S?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-05-03, 21:53   Link #1984
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Nah he's a M. He's always being bossed around by Haruhi and he secretely likes it.

Now that I think about it, most male characters in anime tend to be M since they are usually the fail, whiny, oblivious or pervy types.

Not saying Kyon is though. He's awesome.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2013-05-03 at 22:02. Reason: added stuff
Old 2013-05-08, 11:41   Link #1985
hinode

The last animated installment of FMP is eight years old and only sold ~4800 per disc. Not sure why anyone would be surprised by a lack of further sequels, especially considering the novels ended years ago, limiting cross-promotion potential there, and the demise of the R1 market where FMP used to sell good numbers.

The sales potential would be limited, the risk of a Shana S3-sized collapse would be significant (only from a lower initial sales level so it's even worse), there's no meaningful international market to get funding from... there's not much reason for Kadokawa to fund another season of FMP, even with a cheaper studio than KyoAni. And given KyoAni's clear shift towards animating properties they own and control themselves, I doubt they'd be interested in working on more FMP even if they were offered.
Old 2013-05-08, 12:04   Link #1986
Warm Mist

Sequels are bad.

But whatever, if they get real and focus on the comedy for Chuu2, it'll at least be much better than the original season. (And let people do episodes in their style, like they did with Kigami's episode 6)
Old 2013-05-08, 12:52   Link #1987
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
if they get real and focus on the comedy for Chuu2, it'll at least be much better than the original season.
I doubt that... Oh well... I'm here for the obligatory mush. Hopefully Hanada keeps up with the script and notices the off parts during the conflicts.

Since ANN says production is greenlit... There's still might be hope for surprise Takemoto project considering Free is only 1 cour.

/wishful thinking
Old 2013-05-08, 13:54   Link #1988
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Why is this terrible news? We all know we're never getting another Kadokawa project, at least not this year.
Give up.
Old 2013-05-08, 14:38   Link #1989
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Is KyoAni doing anything with Kadokawa this year? It seems to be all KyoAni themselves and Pony Canyon (unless I missed something).
Old 2013-05-08, 14:51   Link #1990
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinode View Post
The last animated installment of FMP is eight years old and only sold ~4800 per disc. Not sure why anyone would be surprised by a lack of further sequels, especially considering the novels ended years ago, limiting cross-promotion potential there, and the demise of the R1 market where FMP used to sell good numbers.

The sales potential would be limited, the risk of a Shana S3-sized collapse would be significant (only from a lower initial sales level so it's even worse), there's no meaningful international market to get funding from... there's not much reason for Kadokawa to fund another season of FMP, even with a cheaper studio than KyoAni. And given KyoAni's clear shift towards animating properties they own and control themselves, I doubt they'd be interested in working on more FMP even if they were offered.
Why are you bringing logic into this? KyoAni just needs to do more FMP! and save the anime industry.
Old 2013-05-08, 22:37   Link #1991
rulfo

Whoah so many removed post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Why is this terrible news? We all know we're never getting another Kadokawa project, at least not this year.
Give up.
I don't really mind if it's Kadokawa project or not. They just need to let a certain director supervise something. While Ishihara's not a bad director but he's handled a lot of projects. Technically, Yamada did 4 projects.

Regarding new directors, I don't oppose the notion. It's always good thing to expand with calculated risks. Just that, someone who has done really good in my books should do something worthwhile. I mean the guy worked at kyoani during it's first anime production and he only supervised 3 works...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Is KyoAni doing anything with Kadokawa this year? It seems to be all KyoAni themselves and Pony Canyon (unless I missed something).
I thought it was under Pony Canyon but apparently it's just the distribution part. So technically I guess it's not a project spearheaded by Pony Canyon.
Old 2013-05-08, 22:40   Link #1992
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
I thought it was under Pony Canyon but apparently it's just the distribution part. So technically I guess it's not a project spearheaded by Pony Canyon.
Tamako (and Chuunibyou if S2 is in the fall) were marketed/promoted/distributed (video-wise for both, audio for Tamako) by Pony. Pony bought the timeslots and sent info to magazines for both series, so they were heavily involved. We know that Asahi Broadcasting is in charge of timeslots/online distribution for Free!, so Pony's likely relegated to mere video distributor this time. We'll find out more when we get more staff credits for people like producers.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2013-05-09, 06:02   Link #1993
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
I mean the guy worked at kyoani during it's first anime production and he only supervised 3 works...
If you count Lucky Star, Takemoto handled 4 things.
That just seems to be the way he rolls. Ishihara is probably readily available to direct anything, he seems to like working a lot. Yamada would be a similar case, but Takemoto seems to go at his own pace. He does episode direction a lot, but perhaps the burden of being a full supervisor is not something he wants to take on very frequently.
Old 2013-05-09, 07:34   Link #1994
ElCachicamo

Quote:
Sequels are bad.

But whatever, if they get real and focus on the comedy for Chuu2, it'll at least be much better than the original season. (And let people do episodes in their style, like they did with Kigami's episode 6)
The serious parts of that show were really well done, actually the direction in that show was excellent all around, a lot of scenes were beautiful. Chuu2 is a series where Kyoani shows the whole range of their talent, the animation and direction were top notch.

Kyoani is such a great studio that the haters expend a lot of more time talking about Kyoani's series and how bad they are rather than the shows they think are superior . It's always fun to find this kind a crap in these threads.

"Anime is doom and it's Kyoani's fault ".
Old 2013-05-09, 07:46   Link #1995
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCachicamo View Post
Chuu2 is a series where Kyoani shows the whole range of their talent, the animation and direction were top notch.
I could say the same for Hyouka, Nichijou, and the Suzumiya Haruhi movie.

In fact, I think KyoAni showed a lot of animation and directing talent when making Endless Eight. Just look at how they made every episode look different and unique while still covering the same story. And the plethora of different lighting, camera perspectives, and other visual cues that made the exact same scene in each episode convey a different mood. That takes talent. Doesn't mean Endless Eight was good, though.
Old 2013-05-09, 10:18   Link #1996
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCachicamo View Post
The serious parts of that show were really well done, actually the direction in that show was excellent all around, a lot of scenes were beautiful. Chuu2 is a series where Kyoani shows the whole range of their talent, the animation and direction were top notch.
I absolutely disagree. The dramatic direction was inconsistent and schmaltzy, and there were too many minor fuck-ups that integrated to cause a much lessened experience (off the top of my head, Touka slapping Rikka was a still with action lines, the insert song in episode 8 was awkward as all hell, the camerawork at the end of ep 9 was horrible and lazily composited, Rikka's song at the end of ep 10 gets cut off by the normal ED instead of letting it replace it, and the entire finale was chaotic in tone and script).

When I think of Kyoani doing good drama, I think of Hyouka's film arc or its episode 21. Chuu2 was too in my face to enjoy anything, right down to having an announcer declare its simplistic message at the very end. It lacked any sort of nuance.

The animation work was mostly solid, for those designs. I don't like the designs at all. And even then, it doesn't compare to the heights reached by Hyouka, Nichijou and K-On!!, not only in regards to movement but also in regards to digital work; the colour direction was pedestrian, and coming right after Hyouka's amazing demonstration of how to use digital tools to the max, it feels lazy.
Old 2013-05-09, 18:03   Link #1997
Cloudenvy

Quote:
I absolutely disagree. The dramatic direction was inconsistent and schmaltzy, and there were too many minor fuck-ups that integrated to cause a much lessened experience (off the top of my head, Touka slapping Rikka was a still with action lines, the insert song in episode 8 was awkward as all hell, the camerawork at the end of ep 9 was horrible and lazily composited, Rikka's song at the end of ep 10 gets cut off by the normal ED instead of letting it replace it, and the entire finale was chaotic in tone and script).

When I think of Kyoani doing good drama, I think of Hyouka's film arc or its episode 21. Chuu2 was too in my face to enjoy anything, right down to having an announcer declare its simplistic message at the very end. It lacked any sort of nuance.

The animation work was mostly solid, for those designs. I don't like the designs at all. And even then, it doesn't compare to the heights reached by Hyouka, Nichijou and K-On!!, not only in regards to movement but also in regards to digital work; the colour direction was pedestrian, and coming right after Hyouka's amazing demonstration of how to use digital tools to the max, it feels lazy.
Well, way to say everything I feel about Chuu2 before I even got the chance to do it myself. God, that show was so disappointing.
Old 2013-05-09, 21:57   Link #1998
rulfo

Quote:
If you count Lucky Star, Takemoto handled 4 things.
That just seems to be the way he rolls.
Takemoto would probably never get that chance if Yamakan weren't sacked.

Last edited by rulfo; 2013-05-09 at 23:17.
Old 2013-05-10, 00:12   Link #1999
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, they announced a long time ago that they were doing more Chuu2 in one form or another. The fact it's a second season is not a huge surprise, especially given how well Chuu2 sold.

I'm not too worried about the artistic/animation side of things. Even KyoAni's worst work in that regard tends to at least be passable (largely due to the consistently high quality of their animation).

The big thing with Chuu2's 2nd season will be the writing for it. While Chuu2's ending had its weaknesses, it also struck me as a pretty neat and tidy ending. It's not totally clear to me where they go from here.

They could conceivably go totally light and fluffy, pure romcom, for the entire 2nd season. And maybe that's even what they should do, as any attempt to insert more serious drama could actually undermine what they did in the original season.

But some specific things I hope we see...

1) The Return of Mori Summer.

2) More scenes of Dekomori in "normal girl" mode with her hair down.

3) More scenes of Kumin impersonating "in-Chuuni-mode" Rikka.

4) Makoto continuing to fail in his attempts to get a girlfriend. Well, with the possible exception of the end of the season, as I think that him and Kumin might make a cute couple eventually. But Makoto failing is pretty funny, lol.
Old 2013-05-10, 13:07   Link #2000
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
They could conceivably go totally light and fluffy, pure romcom, for the entire 2nd season. And maybe that's even what they should do, as any attempt to insert more serious drama could actually undermine what they did in the original season.
I agree with you, but I wonder if the staff does.
Closed Thread

Tags
studios