AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-02-24, 12:44   Link #1741
Nixl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post

It was stated that he was made from a separate team and that he just so happens to have been finished in time.

I see what you are saying, but then why would he have appeared in any form in the beta leak? That confuses me, why would a separate team add him into the main programming while the other team was still working on it only to cut him out later.

Also, I think you are dead on about he and his race's significance to the entire story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Maybe he's a Protean with memory loss.
You know, some random plot device that will limit his impact on the story.
I would eat my keyboard key by key if that happened.
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-24, 12:53   Link #1742
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
I see what you are saying, but then why would he have appeared in any form in the beta leak? That confuses me, why would a separate team add him into the main programming while the other team was still working on it only to cut him out later.
Probably for efficiency or something. Deus Ex Human Revolution had the same thing where they outsourced the boss fights to another company but we all know how that turned out.

Quote:
Also, I think you are dead on about he and his race's significance to the entire story.
Of course I'm always right

Quote:
I would eat my keyboard key by key if that happened.
Make sure you post a youtube video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo1qR...eature=related
Go to 6:36

Last edited by SoldierOfDarkness; 2012-02-24 at 13:06.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-24, 13:22   Link #1743
Nixl

lol, that reminds me of Shaolin soccer for some reason.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...ndex/9403705/1

Bioware's response kind of annoys me.

"The [censored lol] is optional content that is certainly designed to appeal to long-time fans"

I do not know how they make the distinction between "long time" fans and everyone else.

"The content in “From Ashes” was developed by a separate team (after the core game was finished) and not completed until well after the main game went into certification."

Yet it appeared in the leak that Bioware said was not the final product. It appeared in the leak that Bioware told no one to pay attention to because they had already changed the product significantly.
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-24, 13:45   Link #1744
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Yet it appeared in the leak that Bioware said was not the final product. It appeared in the leak that Bioware told no one to pay attention to because they had already changed the product significantly.
Which is clearly bullshit, since the game was originally scheduled to be released in October of last year.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-24, 13:53   Link #1745
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Bioware's response kind of annoys me.

"The [censored lol] is optional content that is certainly designed to appeal to long-time fans"

I do not know how they make the distinction between "long time" fans and everyone else.
Yeah... I mean, this is the THIRD part of a trilogy, right? And we are not just talking about unrelated sequels, but the story about one protagonist against one threat to the galaxy.

How many of the existing customers are suppose to be "long time fans", and how many are NOT long time fans?

I find it hard to believe that many people would want to play ME3 without having played ME2.

That's the problem, in the end; it is hard to see how any content that "appeals to long time fans" could be justified to be optional. Mostly because that fanbase would essentially be the CORE customers of the game.
Old 2012-02-24, 13:58   Link #1746
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
That's the problem, in the end; it is hard to see how any content that "appeals to long time fans" could be justified to be optional. Mostly because that fanbase would essentially be the CORE customers of the game.
That's just it; they've claimed that ME3 is "the perfect place to start playing the series". They have actually said this.

Have you guys seen the script leaks? The decisions they've made to facilitate this are kind of disgusting.
Old 2012-02-24, 14:03   Link #1747
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
That's just it; they've claimed that ME3 is "the perfect place to start playing the series". They have actually said this.

Have you guys seen the script leaks? The decisions they've made to facilitate this are kind of disgusting.
Yeah, that sounds retarded. I mean, at least ME2 had that comic book that gets you up to speed. But trying to write the entire script so you don't need to know what happened before?
Old 2012-02-24, 14:06   Link #1748
biodude711

Send a message via AIM to biodude711
Because, I don't know, some of the people who are playing Mass Effect 3 haven't played Mass Effect 1 & 2 and they don't know what happened?
Old 2012-02-24, 14:07   Link #1749
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Yeah, that sounds retarded. I mean, at least ME2 had that comic book that gets you up to speed. But trying to write the entire script so you don't need to know what happened before?
They figure they'll be able to sell more copies like this. It comes at the cost of alienating their original fanbase, but it's very clear that they no longer care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodude711 View Post
Because, I don't know, some of the people who are playing Mass Effect 3 haven't played Mass Effect 1 & 2 and they don't know what happened?
But why would you do this? It's like watching Return of the King without having seen Fellowship and the Two Towers.

If something is the third part of a trilogy, it's just common sense to experience the first two parts, but EA clearly has no common sense.
Old 2012-02-24, 14:11   Link #1750
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Then it certainly wouldn't help their understanding that a chunk of the story isn't even available in the standard edition, unless they pay an extra ten dollars.

Cutting the Prothean out of the game isn't going to help new players any.
Old 2012-02-24, 14:17   Link #1751
biodude711

Quote:
Then it certainly wouldn't help their understanding that a chunk of the story isn't even available in the standard edition, unless they pay an extra ten dollars.

Cutting the Prothean out of the game isn't going to help new players any.
The thing is, we won't know if the Prothean is an important part of the story until the game comes out.

Quote:
But why would you do this? It's like watching Return of the King without having seen Fellowship and the Two Towers.

If something is the third part of a trilogy, it's just common sense to experience the first two parts, but EA clearly has no common sense.
Common sense to you maybe, not to people who are new to the franchise and are starting out with Mass Effect 3.
Old 2012-02-24, 14:24   Link #1752
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
The thing is, we won't know if the Prothean is an important part of the story until the game comes out.
He clearly isn't, BECAUSE he's optional content. Were Zaeed or Kasumi important parts of the story?

The issue here is that he's a PROTHEAN. You know, the ancient precursor race that came close to defeating the Reapers fifty thousand years ago?

Quote:
Common sense to you maybe, not to people who are new to the franchise and are starting out with Mass Effect 3.
...Did you read anything I said at all? If you're new to a franchise, it's just basic common sense to start at the beginning. Why the third game in a trilogy is designed specifically to appeal to new players I have no idea, but it's completely stupid.
Old 2012-02-24, 14:27   Link #1753
ZeroForever

it should be common sense to anyone that has heard the term trilogy and sees the number 3.

while i personally don't mind them taking into account the previous games in the dialogue it'll really just depend how well it's done. If it's overt and subtle then it's fine, if it's blatant and just poor pandering then it'll be annoying. In short it's to soon to tell.

It's all subjective ethics on whether or not you like getting charged DLC and whether you think it's fair. However in comparison to past practices bioware's integrity is forfeit as they changed something that was free with the previous installations to charge because they knew they could get away with it. After the fiasco with DA2 (if you think the reusage of 4 maps for the entire game was ok then i'm wasting my time arguing as you'll likely nod and excuse anything they do to you) and now this bioware reputation should take hits with the gaming populace.
Old 2012-02-24, 14:29   Link #1754
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I started and finished ME2 before I finished even halfway of ME1. Does that mean I am sorely lacking in common sense?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-24, 14:31   Link #1755
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I started and finished ME2 before I finished even halfway of ME1. Does that mean I am sorely lacking in common sense?
Yes, if you expected to have context for anything.
Old 2012-02-24, 14:31   Link #1756
biodude711

Quote:
No it does not.
Old 2012-02-24, 14:34   Link #1757
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Depends, do you think ME2 was a good place to start playing the game if ME1 was available?
Old 2012-02-24, 14:36   Link #1758
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Yes, if you expected to have context for anything.
Yeah, too bad time constraints, academic issues and whatnot didn't give me time for a full storyline context!

Honestly the "common sense" argument is ridiculous when you consider that there are far greater and more important reasons people can't abide "by common sense" when common sense itself ironically dictates that there are other priorities at hand.

And for context, I borrowed someone else's save and loaded it into ME2 the first time around, and loaded my own when I finished ME1. I looked into the ME1 backstory on the internet, got background in game for ME1 as well. If you really wanted to play and get the story, but can't play 1 or 2, there are other sources of information.

To say that you NEED ME1 and ME2 for context is ridiculous, and probably insulting to a lot of people who couldn't play them. You can get your context from other sources if you really need to. All I see from insistence that you need ME1 and ME2 for context is fanbase elitism, and honestly I find this to be hypocrisy, probably why I sometimes feel alienated from the fanbase even as a player from the beginning. Way to go alienating any and all potential new players.

There are those of us who don't have the time, money or whatever else to be an original fan or whatever the term is. Some of us have to jump on the ship mid voyage and I commend Bioware for at least trying to give new players a fighting chance with the established fanbase. I don't why giving others said chance angers some people, but as someone who has entered a story midway in other games, I understand how these new players feel and the alienation/ostracizing they receive from older fans.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-24, 14:42   Link #1759
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Yeah, too bad time constraints, academic issues and whatnot didn't give me time for a full storyline context!

Honestly the "common sense" argument is ridiculous when you consider that there are far greater and more important reasons people can't abide "by common sense" when common sense itself ironically dictates that there are other priorities at hand.
I don't know what are you trying to say. By playing ME2 without ME1, you don't get the full story. The fact that you don't have time to experience the full story is unfortunate, but that certainly doesn't change the fact that ME2 has a 2 in its title.

If you don't really care to know about the plot, then fine. But it is another thing entirely to suggest that it should be encouraged that more people copy what you did intentionally.
Old 2012-02-24, 14:49   Link #1760
biodude711

Quote:
If you don't really care to know about the plot, then fine. But it is another thing entirely to suggest that it should be encouraged that more people copy what you did intentionally.
Meo stated that there are people in this world (like myself) who don't have the time to sit down for a couple of hours every day to play all the games. He/she did not, in any way, shape or form, suggest that people should be encouraged to copy what he/she does.

As Meo explicitly stated:
Quote:
There are those of us who don't have the time, money or whatever else to be an original fan or whatever the term is. Some of us have to jump on the ship mid voyage and I commend Bioware for at least trying to give new players a fighting chance with the established fanbase. I don't why giving others said chance angers some people, but as someone who has entered a story midway in other games, I understand how these new players feel and the alienation/ostracizing they receive from older fans.

Tags
effect, games, mass