AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana III - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 98 65.77%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 18.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 6.71%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 4.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.01%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.67%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.01%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-29, 17:47   Link #141
Deathscyther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
Now that this great series is over I have a few questions for the novel readers, if I may.

1. What exactly does Grammatica do? The first time Yuji used it, it seemed like a barrier but he later used it as a speed boost. Alastor said that it's a multi-purpose spell. Lamies said that he named it Grammatica for a reason. Grammatica is Italian for "grammar" but I can't see the link.
In order to answer this question I tried looking into the meaning of 'Grammatica' and here are some things I found:

Quote:
The word Grammatica (grammar in English) derives from Greek γραμματικὴ τέχνη (grammatikē technē), which means "art of letters", from γράμμα (gramma), "letter", itself from γράφειν (graphein), "to draw, to write".

In linguistics, grammar is the set of structural rules that govern the composition of clauses, phrases, and words in any given natural language.

Every speaker of a language has, in his or her head, a set of rules for using that language. This is a grammar, and the vast majority of the information in it is acquired not by conscious study or instruction, but by observing other speakers.
I guess that naming the Yuji's spell 'Grammatica' indeed makes sense. Just change the word 'language' into 'unrestricted spell'. The 'clauses, phrases and words' can be changed to 'everything needed to form an unrestriced spell' (things like PoE, ideas, the image of the spell in your head, spells needed to form a more difficult spell).

I guess that Yuji is able to use his spell 'Grammatica' in a lot of different ways by changing the 'set of rules' for the spell. I guess you can compare it with how the flame haze have managed to change one of the rules in Xanadu by changing the spell insignia (Taimei Shihen). I guess that Yuji changes these 'rules' by using different combinations of PoE/spells in order to get the effect he needs to counter the matter at hand.

Yuji always had a knack for learning unrestricted spells after all, just like Johann and Margery, so it should be possible for him to master many combinations. He was able to control his PoE pretty well after some training with Shana and Wilhelmina. He mastered the 'fuzetsu' spell and was able to change his PoE into fireballs before Sabrac attacked them as well. He learned so much in less than a year. After disappearing from Misaki City and before/during/after the merge with SnH he seems to have gotten even better at controlling his PoE and using spells. One example is that he's able to fly by himself (without SnH) now.

Yuji accidentally used the spell 'Grammatica' the first time when he was about to be hit by Shana's flames in episode 20. The flames were so great that Azure couldn't hold them back. Yuji probably thought he was going to get damaged greatly or even die. He had to stop those flames somehow. So out of instict he formed a shield that stops flames.

When Shana threw the Chorde at the egg of the world after that, he tried using the same spell. At this time he was trying to stop the Chorde from hitting the egg of the world. Why did the spell fail him? Because Shana didn't use normal flames this time. She used 'Shinku', an unrestricted spell which uses PoE and her flames to form a 'physical' fist. Basically it's a physical attack. Yuji's 'grammatica' that time was made to stop flames and the treasure tool 'Chorde', but it wasn't made to stop a physical fist, so the barrier broke down.

This last episode he used the spell to increase his speed greatly, to recreate Shaher's effect (to make it so that everyone can hear him) and to attract/stop the Chorde when Shana threw them at him. These times he completely knew what he was using the spell for, so he was able to 'change the rules' of his spell to get those desired effects. His last 'Grammatica' probably broke down, because Shana's last attack, in which she used everything she had, was too much for his spell to handle. Her destructive power is supposed to be unrivaled after all.

At least that's what I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
3. Why did Leanan-Sidhe disguise herself as an old man?
I think the main reason was to hide from flame haze. Even though most flame haze like Shana and Wilhelmina don't attack her because they knew that Spiral Organ didn't hurt the balance, there were still some flame haze like Margery who wanted to kill every tomogara.

I think it was to conserve her PoE as well, since she wanted to use every last bit of PoE for her spell.

Last edited by Deathscyther; 2012-03-29 at 18:02.
Old 2012-03-30, 00:43   Link #142
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

wats the name of the last song? ive heard that somewhere before but i cant remember
Old 2012-03-30, 01:25   Link #143
redflame

Koubou (Beam of Light) by Mami Kawada. Not sure on where you've heard it since it's a new song, only played at the ending of sns.
Old 2012-03-30, 12:32   Link #144
Sozoshi

To the thing with his flame color, in the novel the azure color never appeared and his flame remains black.
It is also said that he and SnF are still somehow connected
Old 2012-03-30, 17:29   Link #145
Ec1ge
A true 灼眼のシャナ Shanite. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by virox View Post
Sydonay is supposed to be his guard, the one that takes everyone out while Snake acts. Hecate gathers the wishes of the Tomogara and Bel Peol... Well I think she was the spellcaster, not sure.
Bel Peol was made to be the brains of Bal Masque. The strategist and brain of the organization.
Old 2012-03-30, 18:05   Link #146
king12354

Not exactly the ending I was looking for. Whole episode felt like a lover's quarrel and the entire war was a farce. Disappointing.
Old 2012-03-30, 18:07   Link #147
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
Not exactly the ending I was looking for. Whole episode felt like a lover's quarrel and the entire war was a farce. Disappointing.
Well this series did make the Flame Hazes out as a bunch of whiny children while Yuji was trying to save everyone and the future as well.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2012-03-30, 20:13   Link #148
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I felt that the Flame Hazes' depiction was fine throughout the series. I mean, let's face it--every single Flame Haze that Yuji met (Shana, Margery, Khamsin, and Wilhelmina) did not make a good first impression with him. Even Khamsin, the friendliest of the bunch. So there was always potential for Flame Hazes to be in the wrong.
Old 2012-03-31, 17:24   Link #149
Limenade
Boss Mode

umm am i the only one who is kinda saying wtf of how Kazumi Yoshida got the rawest deal out of anyone lol she has to remember everything that happened, gets rejected by yuji, is burdened with fixing the city, doesn't get to see shana or yuji ever again, and Ike the one dude who loved her ends up with another chick hah
Old 2012-03-31, 19:09   Link #150
redflame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sozoshi View Post
To the thing with his flame color, in the novel the azure color never appeared and his flame remains black.
It is also said that he and SnF are still somehow connected
Yeah, I've heard that SnF sleeps within Yuji after the new world was created. Though, I'm kinda confused as to how in the anime, it seemed that Yuji completely separated from SnF.
Old 2012-04-01, 13:10   Link #151
Ec1ge
A true 灼眼のシャナ Shanite. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflame View Post
Yeah, I've heard that SnF sleeps within Yuji after the new world was created. Though, I'm kinda confused as to how in the anime, it seemed that Yuji completely separated from SnF.
Maybe SoF left a tiny bit of himself inside Yuji. And that tiny bit was only for seeing what was going on in Xanadu through Yuji's eyes.
Old 2012-04-02, 02:21   Link #152
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflame View Post
He does not sleep within him. He watches over him.

Snake, Sydonay and Hecate are in their own domain.

As for this ep....Hecate totally wins it along with Lea

Quote:
Don't know... maybe because she has a lot of PoE in her hands and is considered dangerous
Speaking of which Lea is considered a walking WMD by many...

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2012-04-02 at 02:50.
Old 2012-04-05, 23:53   Link #153
Excorsism

Having followed this series for a good 7+ years, 12, now 20... It's been a blast, glad to see it end on a great note. Now to go sob myself to sleep because it's over. Also, time to read the 24 novels I imported.
Old 2012-04-07, 04:25   Link #154
karinvampire
Ka Ra Ku Ri

Good ending to a good show.
Old 2012-04-08, 20:50   Link #155
Ascendant

just finished watching this. this is the longest running series I've followed and the ending delivered. a happy ending, but I feel a little sad... there are still the novels to read I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limenade View Post
umm am i the only one who is kinda saying wtf of how Kazumi Yoshida got the rawest deal out of anyone lol she has to remember everything that happened, gets rejected by yuji, is burdened with fixing the city, doesn't get to see shana or yuji ever again, and Ike the one dude who loved her ends up with another chick hah
I don't know, yoshida actually became rather respectable this time around. remembering what happened and having to fix the city aren't bad things. she's rather unique and could play some important role in the future.

as for not seeing shana/yuji again, call me an optimist, but guze/earth have always been connected, so it's not out of the question that the new earth and the original earth could be in contact some day. they are all part of the "greater world" after all. exciting times ahead of them.
Old 2012-04-10, 20:27   Link #156
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one thinking that there will still be challenges for both Earth and Xanadu in the coming days. Not all Flame Haze and Crimson Denizen left for Xanadu, and those who did depart for Xanadu would end up creating conflicts.

It would be interesting to see what would happen to a new batch of main characters who stayed on Earth and remaining as protectors of Earth against the Crimson Realm. Also, Yuji and Shana trying to keep the two sides in Xanadu from reverting to their usual conflict.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2012-04-11, 23:47   Link #157
SkyFlames
Silver, the Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one thinking that there will still be challenges for both Earth and Xanadu in the coming days. Not all Flame Haze and Crimson Denizen left for Xanadu, and those who did depart for Xanadu would end up creating conflicts.

It would be interesting to see what would happen to a new batch of main characters who stayed on Earth and remaining as protectors of Earth against the Crimson Realm. Also, Yuji and Shana trying to keep the two sides in Xanadu from reverting to their usual conflict.
It would be interesting to have a side story with Margery hunting down the remaining Denizens, also the Zurich, Romania and Tokyo Outlaws seems to be working even after the war. Besides, with all the Denizens leaving to another world and a very few Flame Hazes around the world, a smart Lord would see it as a perfect opportunity to gather PoE at extreme ammounts as Asiz.

Also this leaves a lot of doubt about how Xanadu will work, I don't think that the Denizens will accept Justus as supreme king just for being half-human half-denizen, and that was the reason for which Shana and Yuji left as well, to prevent any further conflict.

The probability of getting an OVA of this season is really low, but I hope that at least the author writte something else about this to give a good glimpse of Xanadu and the Earth after the war.
Old 2012-04-14, 19:20   Link #158
Saito123

Great SnS Season, although I think it was the worst of the 3 Seasons. at the very start of the season, I was very confused about the whole Yuji and Snake of festival thing, but I finally understood it after about 8 times watching Episodes 3-5 lol.
Anyway still a great Ending, better then ZnT. Gret Job JC Staff ( is it wrong?)
well, now I'm planning to read the Light Novels, but I can't find them, any suggestions? ( I know about baka-tsuki, but tey don't seem to hava all of them, or rather the start, they just have summarys -.- )
Old 2012-04-18, 19:25   Link #159
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

The introduction of various new characters from Eternal Song. While I think that people who read the light novels first would get the most enjoyment from this season. While Snake suddenly appearing without any notifications besides very short scenes that didn't explain much. Did leave some people behind on what's going on.

If they made half of season 2 with mostly fillers, while holding some light novel features in it. Maybe an OVA will help, maybe the author will decide to supervise for that as well Since he did supervise for this season.

Shana-tan did have a new thing as well. So nobody knows. I just enjoy the climatic ending battle the most though. Bringing back a very, very nostalgic song to Shana fans, while finally featuring the long-awaited battle between Shana and Yuji to finally end all of this. It's nice that they held this battle off till the ending. So the feel between these two fighting finally releases in full force. Also nice that J.C. Staff doesn't disappoint in delivering the kiss scene when the novels had them almost kissing.
Old 2012-04-19, 05:47   Link #160
Senshigeia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
The introduction of various new characters from Eternal Song. While I think that people who read the light novels first would get the most enjoyment from this season. While Snake suddenly appearing without any notifications besides very short scenes that didn't explain much. Did leave some people behind on what's going on.

If they made half of season 2 with mostly fillers, while holding some light novel features in it. Maybe an OVA will help, maybe the author will decide to supervise for that as well Since he did supervise for this season.

Shana-tan did have a new thing as well. So nobody knows. I just enjoy the climatic ending battle the most though. Bringing back a very, very nostalgic song to Shana fans, while finally featuring the long-awaited battle between Shana and Yuji to finally end all of this. It's nice that they held this battle off till the ending. So the feel between these two fighting finally releases in full force. Also nice that J.C. Staff doesn't disappoint in delivering the kiss scene when the novels had them almost kissing.
As far as I know, they did kiss it the novel too... if they hadn't, the spell wouldn't be activated.

Anyway, I think the main fail in the SnS saga was, besides all those fillers and some scenes from the novel that weren't animated,
Spoiler for mainly:
is the lack of Eternal Song events. Those explain a lot and the "new" characters wuldn't have appeared out of the blue in Season 3.
Anyway I really hope for an OVA about Eternal Song - and I am really looking forward to it, since we had a glimpse of Tiz and Azis.

Sig credit to Bila / Avatar credit to SweetHoney

Check out my anime and manga lists!
Closed Thread