Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-08, 10:25   Link #26261
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
~19,000 to be more precise. It's sparsely populated, and none of the inhabitants have been there particularly long.

Though I think Japan should just give up on them at this point. That's what they get for losing WW2. It's not like they had to give away Hokkaido.
I think ~19,000 people would disagree with you .. and any and all newly psuedo-imperialistic states would like to subscribe to your magazine. Statements like that makes the perspective that Japan should nuclear arm themselves sound pretty darn reasonable.
Old 2013-02-08, 10:30   Link #26262
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
I think ~19,000 people would disagree with you .. and any and all newly psuedo-imperialistic states would like to subscribe to your magazine. Statements like that makes the perspective that Japan should nuclear arm themselves sound pretty darn reasonable.
Yes, but none of those inhabitants are Japanese. There used to be Japanese inhabitants, but they were all expelled. Now they're all Russian (or certain Russian minorities) that were all carted in during Soviet Era. The Japanese who were there prior to that point had been carted in by the Japanese to "claim" the region.

These are territories that have passed back and forth between Russia and Japan 3 times in the last 150 years, and were practically uninhabited prior to that.
Old 2013-02-08, 10:38   Link #26263
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

By practically uninhabited, you mean, inhabited since at least the 16th century by native Ainu.

Also those "carted in" Japanese have been there for over a century, dating back to the said Ainu conflicts.
By that logic White Men shouldn't be around in US either.

The islands are largely Russian population since the Soviet days, so I wouldn't agree to any "reclamation of islands" that would force those people to be removed. But the same goes for the other way, and anyone in favor of pouplation removal is a douchebag.
Old 2013-02-08, 10:39   Link #26264
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Yes, but none of those inhabitants are Japanese. There used to be Japanese inhabitants, but they were all expelled. Now they're all Russian (or certain Russian minorities) that were all carted in during Soviet Era. The Japanese who were there prior to that point had been carted in by the Japanese to "claim" the region.

These are territories that have passed back and forth between Russia and Japan 3 times in the last 150 years, and were practically uninhabited prior to that.
The Ainu would disagree with you on your last point, but I'd say overall any acceptance of "war spoils" as a valid rationale opens a much larger can of worms than anyone can and would likely desire to bear. What would be reasonable is that the population can choose to stay where they are and choose their national affiliation with some sort of understanding reached on fishing rights, etc.. Which is pretty damn unlikely.
Old 2013-02-08, 10:48   Link #26265
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I think opening a Russian loli-maid entertainment centre should solve issues. With both cosplaying AND authentic Russian loli-maids.

Seriously, what is with diplomats and their lack of problem solving skills nowadays.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-02-08, 11:11   Link #26266
willx
Nyaaan~~

On a somewhat lighter note: how the F+!@&*&* did I miss this!?

The next chapter: TED headed to Vancouver in 2014, TEDActive hitting the slopes of Whistler

http://blog.ted.com/2013/02/04/the-n...s-of-whistler/

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/0...uver-was-done/

In 2014, TED will celebrate our 30th anniversary. And to mark this spectacular event, we’re planning something very special. We are moving our annual West Coast conference from Long Beach, California, to Vancouver, Canada. From March 17 to March 21, 2014, TED will be held in this great city, which boasts a thriving spirit of innovation as well as stunning views — the harbor and mountains in the same scenic vistas.

Old 2013-02-08, 11:11   Link #26267
Tom Bombadil

Haha, I wonder what Konart has to say about making little Russian girls into maids.
Old 2013-02-08, 11:30   Link #26268
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I think opening a Russian loli-maid entertainment centre should solve issues. With both cosplaying AND authentic Russian loli-maids.
or half-Russian half-Japanese loli-maid....

I'd go to the dark side with you for that one
Old 2013-02-08, 11:32   Link #26269
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:

Seriously, what is with diplomats and their lack of problem solving skills nowadays.
Images
Obligatory
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
On a somewhat lighter note: how the F+!@&*&* did I miss this!?

The next chapter: TED headed to Vancouver in 2014, TEDActive hitting the slopes of Whistler

In 2014, TED will celebrate our 30th anniversary. And to mark this spectacular event, we’re planning something very special. We are moving our annual West Coast conference from Long Beach, California, to Vancouver, Canada. From March 17 to March 21, 2014, TED will be held in this great city, which boasts a thriving spirit of innovation as well as stunning views — the harbor and mountains in the same scenic vistas.

I wonder what TED is. I done some volunteering work on helping them setting up the conference. never actually heard the conference properly since i am busy working. thought i found the topic bit random (i.e "Fail Better")

Old 2013-02-08, 12:04   Link #26270
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Statements like that makes the perspective that Japan should nuclear arm themselves sound pretty darn reasonable.
Unfortunately, it's the darn truth considering the recent behavior from several neighboring countries in the region. I'm sure the situation is quite the same about South Korea with their recent investments into the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Violence mars funeral of slain Tunisian opposition leader
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9150B820130208
Hard to believe that Tunisia (I know many Tunisians who are kind and well instructed people) would fall prey into this kind of stuff. This situation is such a big shame.

Quote:

That sounds better than sending jets, it's a certainty.
Old 2013-02-08, 12:09   Link #26271
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

Petite Russian women own you (they're like little snowflake elves ... so cute and they're in their 20s/30s/40s even)

=================================================
In actual serious news, Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) is going berserk in Southern California - now shooting tiny Latino women delivering mail in a truck after mistaking them for 200+pound 6 foot black ex-policeman accused of vendetta for being fired (he's likely killed several police and a family member so far).
edit: And there's been another shooting at the wrong person by LAPD, that one was luckier (not hit).
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...omen-shot.html

I'm going to suggest anyone living in SouthCalifornia just go into lockdown to protect themselves from the LAPD o.O
Old 2013-02-08, 12:18   Link #26272
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
The Ainu would disagree with you on your last point, but I'd say overall any acceptance of "war spoils" as a valid rationale opens a much larger can of worms than anyone can and would likely desire to bear. What would be reasonable is that the population can choose to stay where they are and choose their national affiliation with some sort of understanding reached on fishing rights, etc.. Which is pretty damn unlikely.
Why would the Ainu like the Japanese any more then they like the Russians? The Ainu have had a pretty bad history with Japan, and have not really been treated well (and it's only recently the Japanese government acknowledged they even exist as a minority). Meanwhile, there are many Siberian peoples living under the Russians relatively unmolested (or at least not forcibly assimilated the way the Ainu were).

Either way, I don't see how the Ainu help the Japanese case, because the Ainu are not "Japanese", and they would not lean towards the Japanese any more then they would to the Russians.

The islands were as good as unclaimed. Now they're just a political football being lobbed between Japanese and Russian Nationalists. The Russians have as valid a claim over the Kurils as they do over anything else in the Russian Far East, like say Primorye.
Old 2013-02-08, 12:24   Link #26273
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
=================================================
In actual serious news, Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) is going berserk in Southern California - now shooting tiny Latino women delivering mail in a truck after mistaking them for 200+pound 6 foot black ex-policeman accused of vendetta for being fired (he's likely killed several police and a family member so far).
edit: And there's been another shooting at the wrong person by LAPD, that one was luckier (not hit).
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...omen-shot.html

I'm going to suggest anyone living in SouthCalifornia just go into lockdown to protect themselves from the LAPD o.O
The LAPD really doesn't want to take him alive, they're too afraid of what could come out. The cops fired dozens of bullets into that truck the two elderly mail deliverers were driving and it wasn't the same model or make as Dorner's truck.

Also last I saw there is no proof that he was the one that killed the family members, they're just pinning it on him because of the manifesto, which is legitimately a fair thing to do since he says family members are open targets.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2013-02-08, 12:41   Link #26274
willx
Nyaaan~~

@DonQuigleone --

Spoiler for I'm tired of talking about this:

In other news: Original, iconic Iwo Jima monument hitting the auction block

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/...lock-1.1148552
Old 2013-02-08, 12:46   Link #26275
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

US air raids kill hundreds of Afghan kids

Quote:
Attacks by US military forces in Afghanistan, including air strikes, have killed hundreds of children over the last four years, according to the UN body monitoring the rights of children.

The Geneva-based Committee on the Rights of the Child said the casualties were "due notably to reported lack of precautionary measures and indiscriminate use of force". It was reviewing a range of US policies affecting children for the first time since 2008 - the last year of the Bush administration and the year Barack Obama was first elected president.
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1...of-Afghan-kids

Old 2013-02-08, 12:51   Link #26276
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
@DonQuigleone --

Spoiler for I'm tired of talking about this:
My main point would be there isn't really any "ancestral" claim (IE when I said uninhabited, I meant uninhabited in terms of sovereign states, obviously there are scattered tribes everywhere). I think the ownership of those islands was pretty much decided by WW2, and Japan should just move on. Compared to the Germans (who lost a 1/3 of their territory), Japan suffered relatively few territorial losses. They should take the German approach and let sleeping dogs lie.

For what it's worth, Putin did offer some of the Island back to the Japanese, but the Japanese weren't willing to take it. I think they should have taken that offer, because it would have been a good way for both to move on while seeming to somewhat please their nationalists.
Old 2013-02-08, 13:18   Link #26277
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I wonder if I should call US' foreign policy in East Asia genius or not. Sure it created a mess in East Asia, but it pretty much insured that Japan to have a feud and limited diplomatic ties with its neighbors for decades.

Anyway to anyone living in Northeast area of America, be safe out there.
Northeast Braces for Monster Blizzard That Could Bring Up to 2 Feet of Snow
Old 2013-02-08, 13:21   Link #26278
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Anyway to anyone living in Northeast area of America, be safe out there.
Northeast Braces for Monster Blizzard That Could Bring Up to 2 Feet of Snow
My flight out this evening just got cancelled. I had to hop on another one (bigger plane) an hour later and hope that one doesn't get cancelled as well. I'm in Toronto, Ontario and it looks like this:

I just see a haze of white as I look out of my office window .. Apparently it's worse in Boston and New York.
Old 2013-02-08, 14:11   Link #26279
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
My flight out this evening just got cancelled. I had to hop on another one (bigger plane) an hour later and hope that one doesn't get cancelled as well. I'm in Toronto, Ontario and it looks like this:

I just see a haze of white as I look out of my office window .. Apparently it's worse in Boston and New York.
In Connecticut area it hasn't snow much right now, apparently heavy snow is going to come around 5. I am rather happy that all my classes got canceled though. Over the last year weather has been pretty bad in North East, Hurricane Sandy and now this.
Old 2013-02-08, 14:27   Link #26280
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

This storm appears to have similar dynamics to Sandy where a storm moving in from the Midwest collides with a storm moving up the Atlantic coast. This turns out to be a recipe for high winds and high precipitation levels. If the Atlantic storm has a counter-clockwise rotation that draws moisture off the ocean and dumps it inland, the precipitation totals can be substantial. I recall wondering when Sandy hit in November whether that was a harbinger for blizzards when the winter temperatures kicked in.

Here in Boston we've only seen a few inches so far, but the real impact is supposed to happen overnight and into tomorrow. Predicted total snowfall here is 24-36 inches (60-90 cm). With projected wind gusts as high as 60 mph (~100 kph) and that much base snowfall, I would not be surprised to see drifting as high as two meters in spots.

Here's a good satellite image of the storm that shows its circulation pattern:

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-02-08 at 14:38.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international