AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-09-25, 02:50   Link #1
tyciol
*Artist

Science Ninja Team (Kagaku Ninja Tai) Gatchaman (科学忍者隊ガッチャマン) 1972: 205 episodes+3OVA

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...anime.php?id=4

This anime series is about a group called the G-Force (left) who do battle with the evil Galactor and his minions (right)

I only found one thread with Gatchaman in the title: [url=http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=18554 for the live movie[/url] which I can't find information about.

So I thought it might be good to make one for the series as a whole, to discuss it, regardless or whether or not we can find subs for it, it's pretty huge.

I found out about this series because this "Princess" character was mentioned as a better rolemodel for women than Smurfette:

She was billed from this show:

The article says that the license to BotP has expired, which makes sense because it looks like others have been working at it. This adaptation is poor because it only uses 85/105 episodes (cutting 20) and it rewrote a lot of the script to make it more acceptable to the moral values of prudish families in the late 70s.

I listed 205 eps on the title here, this is actually broken down into 3 series:
*72-74 was first 104, "Science Ninja Team"
**An SNTG movie based on the first series aired in July of 78, preceding II.

*78-9 was 52, "Gatchaman II"

*79-80 was 49 "Gatchaman F/Fighter"

BotP began to air in America just before GII aired in Japan in 78, though it took a long time for it to finish airing.

The first series was reworked in 1986 as G-Force: Guardians of Space.

Like BotP this still only had 85 out of 105 episodes, and was an incomplete adaptation.

From 94-95 a three episode OVA aired re-interpreting the Gatchaman series.

From 96-97 series 2/3 (II/F) were combined and edited into Eagle Riders. This English series had only 65 episodes, even though the combined episodes is 100 (52+48). That means that, like BotP before it, this cut many episode. In this case, even more than 20, it cut 35 episodes.

The character "Jun" from this series has apparently been featured in episode 3 of a recent anime, called Sketch Dance, that is currently airing.

Something to do with a Marvel vs. Capcom match.

The only thing I am unsure of is current licensing status. ADV Films might possibly be doing something, I lack information about it. It says something about a dub.

One thing I am wondering about: I know a lot of anime provide both dubs and subs nowadays, but if a series was dub-only and there wasn't an option to hear the original audio with subtitles, is it still wrong to cover the series here for people who want that original feel?

I'm also wondering about cases where series have been heavily edited, with storylines/characters altered, episodes cut out, etc. Do series like that still count as licensed? I know they brutalized things like Beast King GoLion to create Voltron (luckily the owners have made the original available, I think) and Macross/Super Dimension to create Robotech. In these cases they still made great stories that moved people, enjoyed by many, but which are not the original tales, so it seems important that the unaltered stories be made available.

So, this is a thread to talk about it: have you seen these series? Did you enjoy them? Do you have information about what we can watch, and what we can't?
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 03:04   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Holy Shit. They used to air this, dubbed in Tagalog, here in the Philippines in the 80s when I was a little lad.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-25, 03:25   Link #3
tyciol
*Artist

Awesome. Oh, I guess one of the mods will want to move this to 'Older Series' eventually, but hey, to me it's 'new' if it's never been subbed. I don't even know if there's a full faithful release or not right now.
Old 2011-09-25, 03:32   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Yeah, the original Gatchaman format was aired here in Indonesia too (dubbed in Indonesian of course). I watched it when I was small and I watch it again when it was re-aired recently. It's a good series, maybe it's hilarious but I like the retro and the serious feel of the story. Much like Casshern, Go Lion and Voltus V. ^_^
Old 2011-09-27, 13:47   Link #5
tyciol
*Artist

I know there are probably groups here for mecha-themed anime, but I wonder if there are some for obscure retro mecha anime?
Old 2011-09-27, 14:41   Link #6
jdennis007

If I remember correctly the DVDs for this series contained both versions of the show, the BOTP and the Gatchaman version of it.
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 13:17   Link #7
tyciol
*Artist

I managed to snag an old VHS cassette of Gatchaman from a bargain bin for 50 cents, unfortunately I no longer have a working VHS player. Hope stores still sell them, even if it's a DVD combo. Of course this is probably the dub so useless for any fansubbing motivations