Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-05-14, 04:46   Link #1701
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticAxiom View Post
Edit: Hemisphere: How is Sen Otome? I have it, but I haven't read it. I heard it's more shounen-esque and fan-servicey than Vanadis, but which do you find preferable?
It's almost as straight as a fantasy RPG can get, with some Kawaguchi-esque deconstructions along the way (the economical value that Guilds hold, etc.). You have the standard cast of AmaRach (the swordie), Elicia (the tank), Phil (the loli mage) and later on in Volume 2, Nagi (the lancer) and his additional wives later on. It revolves around Rach and his journey in trying to get strong enough to beat the Maou, and save everyone along the way...

...until a major reveal hits around Volume 3 (which would make ANY main character become useless in a fantasy setting, if it were to happen to them). Along the way, several characters get to question Rach's "dream" or motivation (and pointing out his own lack of character at the same time). His character growth is mostly driven by his apparent lack of goal/motivation for himself for the first few volumes, which changes once he finds his (shounen-ish) answer for himself; then challenged once more at the end of Volume 8 onwards when he loses the very thing he could not afford to lose at that point.

At the same time, it is also about Baltuetas the Maken Breaker, Rach's master, who has been preparing for all this time so that he can defeat the Maou and save his first and only love, the Hero Sasha. Sasha who went up against the Maou, destroyed his body, and sealed the Maou's soul inside hers with the power of Claimh Solais. Until volume 9's end hits...

It's very adventure-driven, and much of the battles are against the demons that occupy the setting of Thousand and Aegis (which might be the direction that Vanadis itself will eventually take). In contract to Vanadis and its delishuz realpolitik and strategic military encounters, Thousand and Aegis can be refreshingly straightforward - though more shounen in its tone and execution, but not overtly so. It shares several concepts in familiarity with Vanadis and especially with Seizuyomi no Riina; and while Vanadis uses Slavic folklore as its foundations, Thousand and Aegis has Celtic folklore to show for it (oh god the terms, save me from the terminology). The fanservice...I would say that both are on par with the fanservice, though Elicia does tend to lose her clothing at the end of every volume so much that I can only assume that it is a running gag.

Which do I find preferable? I go to Vanadis for the realpolitik and the strategies, and I go to Thousand and Aegis for the adventuring and the demon-slaying. They're essentially covering different fields of interest, though they do touch on some common grounds (harem, main lead growing into a badass, etc.) that one can find familiarity with the execution. While Thousand and Aegis does read like a standard, straightforward adventure fantasy RPG story, Kawaguchi's distinct worldbuilding touch is present for those who are into it.

I swear that's my last edit. Until I realized I had some lines wrong.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2013-05-14 at 05:06.
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 05:35   Link #1702
cramped
asexual, cynic, pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenahortCharybdis View Post
I'll volunteer my editing services to whosoever is doing the base translation once my work finishes at the end of the month. I believe there is already an ongoing effort to polish the chapters up a bit, or am I wrong?

If I remember it right we ended up bickering over the translation more than we translated!

Haha, u r spotted on, truth be told we rarely work just go all the way spouting nonsense. Anyways, Xena if u r going to help him tell me then, I will help also (even though I am helping somewhat already).XD
Old 2013-05-14, 22:35   Link #1703
Iskatar
The Sanctuary Knocker

I've been meaning to ask. In chapter 2 of volume six, Setsuna translated: "...Lovely smile as I let you think that there would not be it came into the people who were not attracted by such beautiful face." What does this even mean and why the sudden inclusion of a first person pronoun?
Iskatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 00:04   Link #1704
EnigmaticAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskatar View Post
I've been meaning to ask. In chapter 2 of volume six, Setsuna translated: "...Lovely smile as I let you think that there would not be it came into the people who were not attracted by such beautiful face." What does this even mean and why the sudden inclusion of a first person pronoun?
From what I can read, here's my take on that entire line.

Valentina's body sunk into the soft chair full of cotton and feathers as she listened to her subordinate. Her long, black hair seemed to melt into the air. Those not enchanted by her face would fall for her beautiful smile. She wore a pure-white dress and had an open book on her knee.

Not necessarily the most accurate, but it should help clarify the line some.

Edit: Also, yes, there's an issue I have in general with the tense and perspective issue as well, but that's more a job for the editors to fix up :P
EnigmaticAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 00:37   Link #1705
Hiyohiyo

Rather than melt into the air, it says that her hair blends into the darkness (because it's black). As for the line in question, not sure if the J-C is right, since it doesn't mention her face, just her smile.
Hiyohiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 01:08   Link #1706
Iskatar
The Sanctuary Knocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticAxiom View Post
From what I can read, here's my take on that entire line.

Valentina's body sunk into the soft chair full of cotton and feathers as she listened to her subordinate. Her long, black hair seemed to melt into the air. Those not enchanted by her face would fall for her beautiful smile. She wore a pure-white dress and had an open book on her knee.

Not necessarily the most accurate, but it should help clarify the line some.

Edit: Also, yes, there's an issue I have in general with the tense and perspective issue as well, but that's more a job for the editors to fix up :P
No offense to Setsuna, but you ought to do a run-through of his translation to make it easier for us(to fix). Like that line I mentioned, it's pretty hard to understand what he's trying to say some(most?) of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiyohiyo View Post
Rather than melt into the air, it says that her hair blends into the darkness (because it's black). As for the line in question, not sure if the J-C is right, since it doesn't mention her face, just her smile.

I would think that melting and blending into the darkness constitutes the same dramatic effect, but I see what you mean.

Last edited by Iskatar; 2013-05-15 at 02:28.
Old 2013-05-15, 05:16   Link #1707
cramped
asexual, cynic, pessimist

Quote:
I would think that melting and blending into the darkness constitutes the same dramatic effect, but I see what you mean.
It's not exactly the same though coz melting -----> just dissolve, but adding blending in it is like camouflage (unnoticeable).
Old 2013-05-15, 11:44   Link #1708
Hiyohiyo

It isn't the "melt" or "blend" part that I was referring to so much as "air" vs "darkness".
Old 2013-05-15, 16:46   Link #1709
EnigmaticAxiom

Quote:
No offense to Setsuna, but you ought to do a run-through of his translation to make it easier for us(to fix). Like that line I mentioned, it's pretty hard to understand what he's trying to say some(most?) of the time.
I'll probably do that at some point in time. Most likely when I do a proper edit of the translation (i.e. grammar), I'll do a quick see through. Since I'm still not very proficient with the language, I can only get a decent grasp of what's being said unless I put a lot of time into it. I'll likely just check to see if the gist of the sentence/line is correct, and then edit it into my own style (no offense to sets on this one for my part, but it's also partly for consistency, since the other 5 volumes were essentially written in my style). I need a bit of a break, though. I just finished reading volume 2 of Mondaiji, which I've been reading through for quite a while
EnigmaticAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 07:46   Link #1710
setsuna86

I want to confirm something. The Name of the City which is Jermaine's stronghold:

"バルベルデ" is "Valverde" translated in english, right?
setsuna86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-16, 10:55   Link #1711
Iskatar
The Sanctuary Knocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by setsuna86 View Post
I want to confirm something. The Name of the City which is Jermaine's stronghold:

"バルベルデ" is "Valverde" translated in english, right?
After tossing it into google, Valverde did indeed come up. So I would assume so.
Old 2013-05-17, 08:05   Link #1712
setsuna86

About this Name "レスター", in Google it's "Leicester" and in Excite, it's "Lester". Which is right and which wrong?
Old 2013-05-17, 08:12   Link #1713
Turambar
Procrastination Major

For spelling it should be Leicester, although in speech it would be pronounced Lester -_-
Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 08:52   Link #1714
setsuna86

"マーリアヨ" the meaning? Mariayo or Mariajo?
Old 2013-05-17, 14:08   Link #1715
Iskatar
The Sanctuary Knocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by setsuna86 View Post
"マーリアヨ" the meaning? Mariayo or Mariajo?
As with the case before, I think that's Mariajo, but pronounced Mariayo. But then again, that name is kind of odd. What's the full line?

Last edited by Iskatar; 2013-05-17 at 23:19.
Old 2013-05-18, 06:11   Link #1716
azziz

i don't know if you noticed,but so far,almost all battles ended with-proportionally- the same amount of casualty:30%,i hope the author will,for the next battles,drop that recurring number and be more realist by varying it depending of the circumstance.
azziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 14:42   Link #1717
noobarta

There's a short story up for Vanadis~!

It's when Ellen sneaks some food and gets caught so she hides out in Tigre's room

They're so adorable together :3
noobarta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 17:58   Link #1718
Hiyohiyo

AMX had actually translated it some time before on the B-T forums, although it ends quite abruptly. I'm pretty sure we'd decided the J-C translation was incomplete, although I no longer remember.
Old 2013-05-18, 18:36   Link #1719
black knight iust
spirit 1
*IT Support

been wondering what if the king wants to build something
like a succesur
conquering the world with said socceser , or
he could be trying to piss people off , or
trying to get tiger too comite double or triple regeniced by killing both brothers and sister leaving them kingless and queenless making the land up for grabs thus giving the king of Zhcted an excuses too say something like lets say (clears throught to make different voice) "this young man here has defeated the tyrants and is the reincarnation of the red dragon, or personafacation of the red dragon his red hair is proof of this."

oh and ive been playing warband and thinking what if someone made a mod for this based on maden no ou ..... that would be awome ..... marying a vanadis ruling a country, and pissing off lords ..... sounds fun
Old 2013-05-18, 23:29   Link #1720
Iskatar
The Sanctuary Knocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by black knight iust View Post
been wondering what if the king wants to build something
like a succesur
conquering the world with said socceser , or
he could be trying to piss people off , or
trying to get tiger too comite double or triple regeniced by killing both brothers and sister leaving them kingless and queenless making the land up for grabs thus giving the king of Zhcted an excuses too say something like lets say (clears throught to make different voice) "this young man here has defeated the tyrants and is the reincarnation of the red dragon, or personafacation of the red dragon his red hair is proof of this."

oh and ive been playing warband and thinking what if someone made a mod for this based on maden no ou ..... that would be awome ..... marying a vanadis ruling a country, and pissing off lords ..... sounds fun
...What? I don't even.

Tags
action, ecchi, fantasy, harem, light novel, mf bunko j, politics, romance, seinen, strategy, true harem, war(s)