AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2018-02-27, 15:27   Link #81
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I'm kinda torn. VC4 gameplay wise is pretty much what I expect and what I love about the franchise, but I feel like it could've done more. It's a shame that I see this game as a safe bet; it's proof that Sega can still make a proper VC game beloved by the fans after the failure that was Azure Revolution. The Canvas engine is showing its age; visually, it doesn't look any better than VC1 if at all. The UI is mostly the same, and the dialogue scenes are pretty much the same.

Maybe if this game sells well and a VC5 is announced, some changes will be made. I would love a remaster of VC3. But for now, I'm grateful for VC4's existence.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-27, 15:34   Link #82
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
I'm kinda torn. VC4 gameplay wise is pretty much what I expect and what I love about the franchise, but I feel like it could've done more. It's a shame that I see this game as a safe bet; it's proof that Sega can still make a proper VC game beloved by the fans after the failure that was Azure Revolution. The Canvas engine is showing its age; visually, it doesn't look any better than VC1 if at all. The UI is mostly the same, and the dialogue scenes are pretty much the same.

Maybe if this game sells well and a VC5 is announced, some changes will be made. I would love a remaster of VC3. But for now, I'm grateful for VC4's existence.
Sega should port VC2/3 to the PS4 + Vita for a quick cash in. And release them on the west. Despite what most people think I actually enjoyed the gameplay of VC2 quite a lot. The story was a bit "ugh" but it was still an enjoyable game.
Old 2018-02-27, 15:37   Link #83
Kafriel
Senior Guest

VC2's only fault was the plague of certificates and stuff. Having to farm stages for specific titles to get ONE rank up, for each member in your squad? Bleh. The story wasn't too bad, ableit predictable and overused.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-28, 03:38   Link #84
deadite

Am I the only one who think the red head civilian girl is the good Valkyria in this game?

Last edited by deadite; 2018-02-28 at 04:37.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-28, 06:44   Link #85
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
The Canvas engine is showing its age; visually, it doesn't look any better than VC1 if at all.
The improvements to the Canvas engine in VC4 are subtle, but it's there, namely in the use of dynamic shadows, improved lighting, and improved graphical fidelity and detail. Most of the samey appearance is due to them intentionally wanting to be as close to VC1's appearance as possible.

Besides, the art style they use for the Canvas engine is such that it'll look good even years from now, simply because it tries to be aesthetically appealing rather than photorealistic.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-02, 06:11   Link #86
Sides

I like the demo and am glad they went back to the first game, in some respect.
I absolutely hated VC2 and VC3. Those games derailed from what makes VC fun, grinding units ruined it for me. VC3 would have been a good game, if it ignored everything that VC2 brought to the series.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-14, 03:41   Link #87
Jean Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
I like the demo and am glad they went back to the first game, in some respect.
I absolutely hated VC2 and VC3. Those games derailed from what makes VC fun, grinding units ruined it for me. VC3 would have been a good game, if it ignored everything that VC2 brought to the series.
My thoughts exactly!

Last edited by Jean Luck; 2018-03-15 at 02:13.
Jean Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-14, 17:04   Link #88
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
The improvements to the Canvas engine in VC4 are subtle, but it's there, namely in the use of dynamic shadows, improved lighting, and improved graphical fidelity and detail. Most of the samey appearance is due to them intentionally wanting to be as close to VC1's appearance as possible.

Besides, the art style they use for the Canvas engine is such that it'll look good even years from now, simply because it tries to be aesthetically appealing rather than photorealistic.
I'll give you that. The art style will sustain itself for years to come. I just can't help but fantasize VC running on Western engines like Unreal Engine, Snowdrop, etc.
Old 2018-03-15, 08:05   Link #89
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Official tweet with video featuring the Squad 7 DLC

Isara still adorable as always, and this time more deadly.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2018-03-15, 11:02   Link #90
SidVicious
Anime addict

Valkyria Chronicles 4 launches this fall in the west

Valkyria Chronicles 4 will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch in the Americas and Europe this fall, Sega announced.

The western release was previously only dated for a general 2018 release window.
In Japan, the PlayStation 4 version is due out on March 22, and the Switch version this summer. An Xbox One version will not be released.

In related news, Sega has also launched the English official website for Valkyria Chronicles 4. It currently contains information on the game’s world, characters, and systems.

https://gematsu.com/2018/03/valkyria...ches-fall-west
Old 2018-03-16, 05:56   Link #91
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Bah, no definitive word on if the western release is dual-audio yet? I’m trying to decide if I want to wait for the west release for English text, or the JP release for the JP audio.

EDIT: Nevermind, Sam Mullen already confirmed that VC4 will have dual audio. That means less strain on my wallet, and I have a huge backlog on anime and games so I don’t mind waiting until this fall.
Old 2018-03-16, 05:59   Link #92
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Bah, no definitive word on if the western release is dual-audio yet? I’m trying to decide if I want to wait for the west release for English text, or the JP release for the JP audio.
Considering VC1 had dual audio with english subtitles, why wouldn't VC4 be? Also, last I heard SEGA Europe had already begun dubbing work.

In the meanwhile, new Environments trailer:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Old 2018-03-16, 17:10   Link #93
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Fall couldn't be a more congested time in the West. The new COD and Battlefield will be sweeping.
Old 2018-03-17, 01:02   Link #94
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Fortunately not for me. (no more than now, anyway) I usually just red box COD and Battlefield and play the single player campaign, and maybe try a bit of the multiplayer.
Old 2018-03-17, 14:44   Link #95
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
I'll give you that. The art style will sustain itself for years to come. I just can't help but fantasize VC running on Western engines like Unreal Engine, Snowdrop, etc.
I'd be far more interested in seeing some more games set in the same universe. Way back when the original was first shown off, I remember noting how it looks like a third-person shooter when 'in motion'... meaning that 'Battlefield Gallia' (in the vein of Battlefield Heroes) wouldn't be that far a leap; after all, almost everything such a game needs (classes, weapons, etc.) is already here...

Also welcome would be a higher-level tactical title similar to EndWar...

Quote:
Isara still adorable as always, and this time more deadly. :heh:
Which is all well and good... and then consider what else you can lob with a mortar aside from common HE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
Valkyria Chronicles 4 launches this fall in the west...
Good to know; hopefully the PC version will be not too far behind that.

Quote:
In the meanwhile, new Environments trailer...
It appears that the environment will have actual practical effects - i.e. blowing snow reducing visibility, and maybe even avalanches set off by careless (or not so careless) fire. After all, if the player can leverage such things to their advantage, there's no reason the OPFOR can't.
There also seem to be segments with basic stealth mechanics; this is a good thing.

Quote:
Fall couldn't be a more congested time in the West. The new COD and Battlefield will be sweeping.
To be fair, most folks interested in this game won't be too concerned about those other series. Now, if we were talking about sharing a release window with, say, a major XCOM expansion...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-17, 18:34   Link #96
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Hey, man. What if I was one of the apparent few who are deciding between getting this or BOIIII or BF5. :P
Old 2018-03-18, 20:03   Link #97
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Sweet. This fall should be good with both a new Tomb Raider and this.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-19, 03:27   Link #98
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Couple of promotional illustrations from the official twitter by various artists:

Images
Miwa Shirou

Images
Bob

Old 2018-03-20, 08:29   Link #99
SidVicious
Anime addict

Valkyria Chronicles 4 Season Pass announced

Sega has announced a Season Pass for Valkyria Chronicles 4, which will grant users access to four pieces of post-launch downloadable content.

The Season Pass will cost 4,000 yen, which is 1,000 yen less than what buying each piece of additional content by itself would cost, and be available when the game launches for PlayStation 4 on March 21 in Japan.

https://gematsu.com/2018/03/valkyria...pass-announced
Old 2018-05-23, 09:31   Link #100
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Finally, an English trailer.

Tags
strategy, third person shooter