AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-16, 08:48   Link #11041
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon0lim View Post
Why does it seem like I am the only person in this thread who feels that Kagami deserves 3 necklaces? O o
Personally, I feel that if Kagami does end up winning 3 necklaces, she deserves it no matter what the outcome. However, nobody wants to see the same people win again. Remember when Seishi said that not wanting to see the same people win again is the "cancer of Saimoe"? Well, in this league, that's what makes it real interesting - who can make the distance, and who can't.

Wontaek's right, however. We need the Negima base back.
Old 2008-07-16, 09:58   Link #11042
Crisu
ISML Kaichō
*IT Support

Maybe next year's schedule shouldn't be so random. If we really want balance and fairness, we can make sure that each girl has a per-Period schedule of as equal weight as possible.

What I mean is, based on preseason rankings, for a given girl:

Aquamarine 1 - vs. someone in ranks 57-64
Aquamarine 2 - vs. someone in ranks 50-56
Aquamarine 3 - vs. someone in ranks 43-49
Aquamarine 4 - vs. someone in ranks 36-42
Aquamarine 5 - vs. someone in ranks 29-35
Aquamarine 6 - vs. someone in ranks 22-28
Aquamarine 7 - vs. someone in ranks 15-21
Aquamarine 8 - vs. someone in ranks 8-14
Aquamarine 9 - vs. someone in ranks 1-7

...but it doesn't have to be that strict or that patternized. We'll swap it around so there are some high-rank-difference battles in each of the 9 Rounds per Period. And my point is just to try to prevent a super-easy schedule like Kagami's and to make the chances better for girls to win a necklace.

But I'm glad people are looking at Kotomi as Kagami's major obstacle this Period. Every girl should have a major obstacle (as well as a few "easy" matches). This thread talked about how J Saimoe can be more exciting because it's essentially a single-elimination tournament where every win matters. In ISML you can take a few losses and still be okay, and it's harder to campaign for someone constantly over a few months rather than the "whenever it's her turn again" rotation of going through Saimoe's bracket.

So if we gave girls a 'balanced' schedule like my example, perhaps supporters could campaign lightly during the "lower rank matches" and concentrate on other girls but then come back for the "high rank match" whenever it shows up.

Preseason ranks don't predict the outcome of the whole tournament either, as Suiseiseki started at first place but really has done little and is now in 34th. So it's not like we're dooming characters like Chikaru and Tamaki from the start or giving Haruhi and Tomoyo the easy way out each period.
Old 2008-07-16, 10:36   Link #11043
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisu View Post
Maybe next year's schedule shouldn't be so random. If we really want balance and fairness, we can make sure that each girl has a per-Period schedule of as equal weight as possible.

What I mean is, based on preseason rankings, for a given girl:

Aquamarine 1 - vs. someone in ranks 57-64
Aquamarine 2 - vs. someone in ranks 50-56
Aquamarine 3 - vs. someone in ranks 43-49
Aquamarine 4 - vs. someone in ranks 36-42
Aquamarine 5 - vs. someone in ranks 29-35
Aquamarine 6 - vs. someone in ranks 22-28
Aquamarine 7 - vs. someone in ranks 15-21
Aquamarine 8 - vs. someone in ranks 8-14
Aquamarine 9 - vs. someone in ranks 1-7

...but it doesn't have to be that strict or that patternized. We'll swap it around so there are some high-rank-difference battles in each of the 9 Rounds per Period. And my point is just to try to prevent a super-easy schedule like Kagami's and to make the chances better for girls to win a necklace.

But I'm glad people are looking at Kotomi as Kagami's major obstacle this Period. Every girl should have a major obstacle (as well as a few "easy" matches). This thread talked about how J Saimoe can be more exciting because it's essentially a single-elimination tournament where every win matters. In ISML you can take a few losses and still be okay, and it's harder to campaign for someone constantly over a few months rather than the "whenever it's her turn again" rotation of going through Saimoe's bracket.

So if we gave girls a 'balanced' schedule like my example, perhaps supporters could campaign lightly during the "lower rank matches" and concentrate on other girls but then come back for the "high rank match" whenever it shows up.

Preseason ranks don't predict the outcome of the whole tournament either, as Suiseiseki started at first place but really has done little and is now in 34th. So it's not like we're dooming characters like Chikaru and Tamaki from the start or giving Haruhi and Tomoyo the easy way out each period.
The one flaw in this situation is the wildcards of Saimoe Japan, Korea Best Moe, and the preliminary nominations, so we may still have this problem, but we can lessen the impact by setting up the schedule for at least the people we know are coming back.
Old 2008-07-16, 10:39   Link #11044
seemmeriast

Spoiler for Ruby 2 Votes:
Old 2008-07-16, 11:35   Link #11045
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynal_Fyre View Post
And actually, I like the "few thousand" bit, if just for emphasis's sake.
If you feel that the emphasis is needed and actually adds to the point of the sentence, then add it. Otherwise, it's superfluous and should be taken out.

Quote:
-The Anime Saimoe Tournament of Japan has lately been accepting votes internationally, although votes are weighted toward Japanese voters.

Rephrase to: "As of late, the Anime Saimoe Tournament of Japan HAS been accepting international votes. However, the majority of the voting power still lies in the hands of the Japanese (voters?)"
Eh... progressive tenses always mess me up.
Not sure what, "As of late" means [It sounds like it means, "until now."], but grammatically, I think it's correct.
Still, the second sentence is still unclear about, "voting power." In my opinion, anyways.

Quote:
Feel free to correct me here OB.
Feel free to correct me as well. I'm relatively new to proofreading/editing, so if I have mistakes, please correct them.
Old 2008-07-16, 12:19   Link #11046
Cytrus
Unchangingly Hopeless

I see you're having fun with this, so I don't want to intrude. Just a quick comment, as project editor and all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
If you feel that the emphasis is needed and actually adds to the point of the sentence, then add it. Otherwise, it's superfluous and should be taken out.
Good judgment. Even if going for emphasis, thousands of competitors is stronger than the ambiguous "a few thousand".
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Eh... progressive tenses always mess me up.
Not sure what, "As of late" means [It sounds like it means, "until now."], but grammatically, I think it's correct.
Still, the second sentence is still unclear about, "voting power." In my opinion, anyways.
"As of late" = "recently" in this case. Final Fyre's rephrasing seems clear enough for me. If you want, "However, the number of non-Japanese votes remains small compared to that of Japanese votes." is another, rather direct, option.
Old 2008-07-16, 13:09   Link #11047
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi
Sadly, I was not around when the Negima fanbase actually dominated, so I've had to see the characters get pounded. I'm not sure I agree if Kagami "deserves" a necklace, but if the answer is "no" then it has nothing to do with her winning two already and everything to do with matchups, yeah. And, of course, there are always those rabid Lucky Star fans who are just chomping at the bit...
Old 2008-07-16, 13:12   Link #11048
PhantomRay
~Shoop~Da~Whoop~

Seeing Kanon 2006 now i've had a change of hearts of my top girls, here it is:

In order, top 5 favorites:
1) Fate ( Feito-chan ftw )
2) Mai Kawasumi ( Fresh new girl yayz! to bad she doesn't have the best score )
3) Shana ( yep, this might sound strange that she is now 3rd favorite! )
4) Haruhi Suzumiya
5) Kyou Fujibayashi ( yep, this might sound strange that she is now 5th favorite! She was 1st a period )

PS: Need to improve my avatar a little bit.
Old 2008-07-16, 13:27   Link #11049
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Alright, second draft for Saimoe Japan FAQ.

EDIT: Oh, my god, I didn't notice that it was my birthday today. Until my mom told me.
Old 2008-07-16, 13:31   Link #11050
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi
I saw your age turn 19! Happy birthday!
Old 2008-07-16, 13:32   Link #11051
FiREwing

Nooooo Seishi!! Suprise Partyyyyy!!!

D:

Happy Birthday Minty!
Old 2008-07-16, 13:37   Link #11052
PhantomRay
~Shoop~Da~Whoop~

Happy Birthday!
May all your deepest wishes come true !!!

Oh... and may the MOE be whit you !
Old 2008-07-16, 13:40   Link #11053
Chiharu-chan

Send a message via AIM to Chiharu-chan Send a message via MSN to Chiharu-chan
Happy birthday!
And like Phantom said, may the moe be with you. XDDD
Old 2008-07-16, 13:40   Link #11054
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Last 16 tests...

Adding "last 16 matches if current standings hold" to Space Opera for great despair...

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2008-07-16, 13:41   Link #11055
Eater of All
NOM

Happy birthday Minhtam!

How 'bout we all do our best to make Kagami lose as a birthday present
Old 2008-07-16, 13:41   Link #11056
FiREwing

Everyone should use their sprites as their avvies. DO IT NAO.
Old 2008-07-16, 13:41   Link #11057
PhantomRay
~Shoop~Da~Whoop~

I just remembered I had my 19th aniversary 2 days ago.

Lol Minht your like 2 days younger than me.
Old 2008-07-16, 13:43   Link #11058
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

damn minhtam is a month older than me >_> well happy b-day
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2008-07-16, 13:47   Link #11059
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Yay, let's turn this into a happy birthday thread! Happy birthday!
Old 2008-07-16, 13:48   Link #11060
Ichigo-Sora
*Graphic Designer

Happy Birthday Minhtam! ^^

Tags
i-moe, i-saimoe, isml, saimoe