Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-29, 09:16   Link #1
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

Oldies but goodies.

Ok so basically I haven't watched anime in years(well I watched Girl who leapt through time and 5 centimeters per second a couple of weeks ago if that counts) because none of this newer stuff has caught my attention.I recently stumbled upon "Memories" a 1995 movie, I loved it.Also watched Macross Plus(movie) the other day, loved that too... So yeah I've noticed that I've missed out on a lot of old stuff.

One example of this is "My Dear Marie" A short(3 eps) OVA from 1996 which is also one of my favorite anime.I discovered this back in 05, I think it was.I bought the DVD not really expecting much but was really taken back.Those 3 episodes were really something

So anyways yeah, as I wait for the summer anime season and then winter anime season I'm looking for old stuff to watch..doesn't matter if it's a series or a movie..just list em!
Old 2007-06-29, 13:20   Link #2
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Not really "old" (1999), but i would suggest you check out the Crest of the Stars series. It is an awesome piece of SciFi/action/adventure/romance.
Old 2007-06-29, 13:45   Link #3
Spark

Here is Greenwood is a pretty old anime for me, but I enjoyed watching the OVA. It's school/romance/comedy.
Another amazingly funny OVA is Golden Boy. Be forewarned tho, this one definitely has some ecchi elements. :3
My final recommendation is the Slayers series. It's pretty old, and kind of kiddy, but for some reason it's always had a warm place in my heart.
Old 2007-06-29, 14:02   Link #4
4Tran

It really depends on what you're looking for (heck, I don't even think a show should be considered old unless it aired at least fifteen years ago), but there's plenty of older stuff that anime fans should check out:

Rose of the Versailles (1979) - a rarity in anime; it's a pure historical drama. And it's so well made that there isn't much out there that can compare favorably to it.

Oniisama E (1992) (aka Brother, Dear Brother) - this is the true precursor to shows like Maria-sama ga Miteru. It's also arguably the most melodramatic anime ever made.

Aim for the Ace is probably worth checking out as well - all three works were originally created by the same mangaka. Unfortunately, I have no idea where you'd be able to find a copy of it, and I haven't seen it yet.

Macross (1982) - originally planned as a parody of Mobile Suit Gundam. However it rather transcends the mecha genre by focusing more on personal stories featuring tons of great dialogue. Macross also has a very good feel for war and military affairs - making it one of the most realistic mecha shows around. In my opinion, the "Do You Remember Love" movie ranks as the second-most beautiful anime movie of all time.

Gunbuster (1986) - originally a parody of Aim for the Ace, but by its conclusion, it's one of the more touching mecha anime ever. As an added bonus, it has tons of great dramatic and action-packed moments. Gunbuster is possibly the best work of Anno Hideaki.

Nausicaa (1986) - all Ghibli films are good, but this is the movie that allowed them to form the company in the first place.
Old 2007-06-29, 14:24   Link #5
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'm not sure if you want Ghibli films, but Spirited Away, 2001 is really special in my opinion. I never thought of it as amazing (but it was still great), but I saw it as having the potential to if my interests were a bit shifted. Weird, no?

Grave of the Fireflies, 1988 is of course one of my favorite movies of all times and the movie speaks for itself I think. It's about World War II firebombings in the view of two children. It is also a Ghibli.

I was about to suggest CCS but thought better.
Old 2007-06-29, 20:36   Link #6
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
For the OAVs:
Since you seen 5 Cm/Sec, you might wanna try out Makoto Shinkai's Hoshi no Koe (Voices of a Distant Star, 2002) and Kumo no Mukō, Yakusoku no Basho (The Place Promised in Our Early Days, 2004).

Along with that, there's Yasuhiro Yoshiura's Pale Cocoon (2006).

Being a YKK fanboy, I'll have to throw in the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou OAVs.

If you want more specific titles though, you might want to mention your personal preferences (action, drama, comedy, philosophy, sci-fi, fantasy, slice of life, or whatever).

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
Old 2007-06-29, 21:34   Link #7
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

Thank you all

and I don't really have any preferences per se..a tittle like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou could appeal to me as much as lets say..macross did.As long as it's interesting good, i'll watch it

Keep the suggestions going lol got a lot of amazoning to do.
Old 2007-06-29, 23:45   Link #8
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Ah. Well, I was just worried that some of us might suggest stuff that'd piss you off like that guy in the General Anime section complaining about "Bad dialogue, tit shot, weak story, fake characters, bouncing breasts, stupid misunderstandings, tears, teh bewbs, a huge gun, and more boobs".

Other classics from the past decade:
The Vision of Escaflowne ('96)
Neon Genesis Evangelion ('95-'06)

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
Old 2007-06-30, 05:59   Link #9
risa_chan
Princess Strawberry

Ranma 1/2 was fantastic in the 90s... I think it was the 90s, I'm not even that old yet. =P
Old 2007-07-01, 00:23   Link #10
hoang24

All of the movies released by Studio Ghibli.

I also thought Kimagure Orange Road was also good.
Old 2007-07-01, 13:30   Link #11
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

Thank you all, got a ton of stuff to buy now!

This will be like the 3rd time I buy anime lol.
Closed Thread