AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-06-08, 03:36   Link #81
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

LOL I went home to the Phillippines about 5 years ago and I remember watching a show called "Pang ako sa yo" (rough English translation I think is "I belong to you" sorry my Tagalog is a bit sketchy). And that was pretty bad, my mum's hooked though, and has the entire series on VCD. Man, if Gundam turned into something like that I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry. I pee myself laughing at the dialog when I visit mum and I swear she's always watching it. My dad doesn't know quite what to make of it being Australian and not speaking a word of tagalog.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 03:43   Link #82
MeggieMay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Dallas was a VERY popular American TV show back in the 80s.

However, Season 8 was very, very disliked by the fans. Really disliked.

So in order to save their butts, the writers decided to pull the biggest Deus ex machina in the history of American TV... In the last minute of the last episode of the season, one of the main characters wakes up in bed and it turns out all of Season 8 was a dream.

People just dropped their jaws. It totally reversed everything that happened during the season. Dead people came back... It was quite comical. The worst thing was that it left a huge gap in the story. Dallas seasons took place over the course of one year. So the 1981-1982 season took place from 1981-1982. Dates, places, fads, etc. were all featured as if the show was really happening then. Then when Season 8 was just nullified by the deus ex machina it left a one-year gap in the story when season 9 began. No one knew what was going on because, of course, everything that happened in season 8 was just a dream.
I've also heard that Knots Landing, a spinoff of Dallas, decided not to reset their show as a dream so S8 of Dallas did happen from them and managed to stick that show into alternate reality .

Anyway, saying GSD is the worst thing that has ever happened in all of history is hyperbole in the extreme as far as I'm concerned. As it was, Clusters Edge, another show airing that the time, had four times the clips of GSD, worse animation (or lack of - most episodes had two to three still scenes), an even sillier plot, and made GSD look like a classic that should have won awards . However, since no one seemed to be following CS, no one ended up caring in the online forums or noticing Sunrise was putting out worse "cr*p" with that show, in my opinion.

I liked GSD - not a classic IMO and it had serious problems but the reality is there is worse out there. Claiming there isn't makes posters sound like they have no life outside of Gundam in my eyes. There are plenty of posters who have expressed their dislike for GSD in much better ways without making over the top statements.
MeggieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 03:45   Link #83
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

@hobbes_fan: It's "I promise you" pangako not Pang Ako.

I didn't know that you came from the Phils?
Old 2007-06-08, 04:33   Link #84
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

@MeggieMay - There's lots of crap worse than GSD (Ever watched Gilgamesh? That $hit looks like it was animated with Adobe Illustrator), but there's not a lot of crap that started with the insane quality and unlimited potential of GSD and it's first arc of episodes...Making it's downfall expedentially worse...Furthermore saying you have to experience crapier crap (Like C-Edge) to have an appreciation for unbridled dissapointment from a show that seemed it had no chance at being crap, is simply crap...I guess when it comes down to it some people look at Gundam as just some mecha anime while others look at it in the context of it's legacy...Where you stand is vital to how you measure what's over-the-top and what's not...
Old 2007-06-08, 05:04   Link #85
MeggieMay

I didn't say you had to experience worse cr*p to know it when you see it. I'm just suggesting that whether you like a show is personal opinion and frames of references and it is helpful to remember that.

I personally don't see GSD's downfall as really any worse than any other show, Mecha or otherwise. As to the legacy of Gundam and how it might fit into that context, it doesn't stand up to that measure as far as I see it. I know plenty of people who think G Gundam and Gundam Wing were cr*p and many who would say the former show was worse than GSD from day one. I've also seen people post that they think Turn A was atrocious and/or the ending was a huge letdown. So even going by Gundam Legacy GSD may not be cr*p in everyones opinion, let alone the worse cr*p ever. It just matters where you hang out in fandom (online and/or off) with and who likes what shows (Gundam or others). This is where I'm coming from with my comment that I think people who use over the top hyperbole have a very narrow outlook on things.

You don't have to agree with people to note their opinions on subject, whether you agree with the opinion or not. The way you were going are going on about GSD simply makes you look like you are wearing blinkers when it comes to GSD .
MeggieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 05:26   Link #86
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieMay
I'm just suggesting that whether you like a show is personal opinion and frames of references and it is helpful to remember that.
I attack the issue based on how the debate is framed...I've gone both academic and pandemic when it comes to this show...As for Gundam on-large I haven't particularly ever been truly disappointed with a G-series on GSD's level (and I've seen them all)...Yeah pissed or underwhelmed but never nearing physical sicknesss...As for the rest your subjectivity is well taken, but I'm pretty expressive and a whiz with words so don't always confuse wingdarkness' written passion with something that shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt sometimes (Heh, Perhaps I should remind myself that^^)...Because to be fair when it comes to having a "narrow outlook" (when talking about my eyes) I doubt I even understand what that expression means...When I sport my blinkers, trust me, I see those who are sporting theirs..
Old 2007-06-08, 06:28   Link #87
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper View Post
Or maybe Fukuda could have a go at it like here in the Philippines, where LONG dramatic soap operas are given new chapters inorder to please their fans...sometimes to the point that the story gets so muddled up already, and that the major characters suddenly become WTFs for no apparent reason...

Soap operas suck! No matter from what country. >_<
Old 2007-06-08, 08:25   Link #88
Shinn_Kabuto
Ore wa Kyasshan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
What's worse? Our country has telefantasy shows and stupid rip-offs of Sailormoon, Lupin, and others.

Well said, Iris. D-KLAC is nothing but a jerk and a mark who worships CE and doesn't know and watch UC Gundam shows.

As a punishment:

Kira: Tenkyou Henshin! MAGISHINE!
Shinn_Kabuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 10:11   Link #89
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieMay View Post
I've also heard that Knots Landing, a spinoff of Dallas, decided not to reset their show as a dream so S8 of Dallas did happen from them and managed to stick that show into alternate reality .
You are correct. And that marked the end of the relationship between the two shows.

Anyway....

I didn't think GSD was entirely bad. It just didn't go the way I think it should have. In no way do I think it's the worst thing I've ever seen. It had it's good points (the Hawke sisters. )... But the whininess of Shinn was it's biggest fault to me. Grow up, son. You're in the military (militia, whatever) now. >_>

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 10:15   Link #90
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
But that's what Fukuda does best! Look at his recap episodes! For all their worthlessness of recapping what we already know into Morosawa-language, I felt that as far as recap goes, it actually adds a unique jibe as far as narrative-story telling from a different POV of something else goes.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 21:25   Link #91
overthere!

Send a message via AIM to overthere! Send a message via MSN to overthere! Send a message via Yahoo to overthere!
I'm not following this Fukuda discussion. Who exactly is this Fukuda?
overthere! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 21:28   Link #92
thephreak

director of SEED and DESTINY
thephreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-08, 21:31   Link #93
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthere! View Post
I'm not following this Fukuda discussion. Who exactly is this Fukuda?
^
Old 2007-06-09, 00:32   Link #94
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

well gs series did broke the uc's curse that are

1.have more than one season
2.have many fans
3.numbers of gs specials like final plus, astray, stargazer, special edtions of gs, supernova, mini gs, gs the movie

besides also gs have unlocked the gate of the revival of different time era of gundam.

well gs series have lots of emotions & drama can you imagine if this world is like gs?!
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 03:33   Link #95
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-KLAC View Post
well gs series did broke the uc's curse that are

1.have more than one season
2.have many fans
3.numbers of gs specials like final plus, astray, stargazer, special edtions of gs, supernova, mini gs, gs the movie
1) Are you arguing that ZZ is not the "second season" of Z, considering it starts just days after Z and started airing three months after Z? Are you arguing that the characters in MSG/UC0079 did not reappear in Z and CCA?

2) What? UC doesn't have many fans? They just paint something red and stick a Zeon logo on it and call it "Char Custom" and it sells like hotcakes. They release a new original Gundam model two times every year.

3) Okay...

Seven UC movies, five serious UC OVA's, several SD Gundam OVA's (equivalent of Mini GS), plenty of small one-shots like Green Divers and the UC-based Evolve shorts...

I'm not sure just what you're trying to argue here.

Quote:
besides also gs have unlocked the gate of the revival of different time era of gundam.
I have no idea what you mean here.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 03:52   Link #96
kaito-kid

@D-KLAC: WTF are you talking about?
look, I've never watched any of the UC Gundam either, but at least I did some research..
Old 2007-06-09, 03:56   Link #97
srb
I can see time itself!

You should watch them! They're highly enjoyable.
Old 2007-06-09, 03:59   Link #98
orni-ed
Hayate sama no Tame ni!!!

@srb: no use arguing... he's been worshiping DESTINY, so bad that he's "spreading the gospels" all throughout the internet... In fact, that's the only thing he talks about... He hasn't watched any UC yet; just wing, seed/destiny and SD... Hmm... maybe he treats UC as a "false doctrine"...
orni-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 04:01   Link #99
srb
I can see time itself!

That's too bad! How can you not love the Zeta?

I mean, even Fukuda loves it!
Old 2007-06-09, 04:17   Link #100
kaito-kid

srb@ You see the thing is, I can't stand watching old animation, old sound effects, music, ect...(I have the same problem with Movies) No matter how hard I try...I would always give up after the first few episode...

orni-ed@ Are you talking about me?

Tags
mecha, seed it and weep