AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-03, 15:22   Link #1
Lazy Shikamaru

Naruto = Harry Potter

It's probably been done, but i'm new to the forum. If it has been done, just delete it.

Anyways from the very beggining I started watching this, I started explaining it to my friends as a harry potter anime, where the school is about ninjas, and learning ninjitsu, the bad guy is a serpent loving freak, there is three main characters (mostly), you have the family ties, the great ninjas(magicians) that forged the village/town in the past, and other similarities.
Old 2004-05-03, 15:26   Link #2
Palani
///_^

It appears I was wrong so here goes nothing. Harry Potter and Naruto are a like but this is mostly just because writers often use same objects in their stories. The Snake metaphore is oftenly used for displaying evil. The same as with the characters of the head characters. In today's stories the Lead Persons of a story are not necessirarily heroes. It is more likely that they are "losers" but when their friends are in danger they show themselves as characters who can uleash havoc upon the world. Another paradox is the given power. Both Harry and Naruto have a power inside of them that has been given to them shortly after birth. These powers are latent but come out when they are badly needed. I think the similarities end here.

The cause of the similarities I've described earlier on here but I think that comes from inspiration. Writes, I take myself for example, often read stories and find some elements usefull for their own stories. Some storyelements are copied very often and can be found in much fantasybooks. I don't think that Naruto is based upon Harry Potter or Vice Versa. I think that due to the copying of storyelements these two story have a strong resemblence.

Hope that this mad sense to anyone ... ///_^.

Last edited by Palani; 2004-05-04 at 04:41.
Old 2004-05-03, 15:28   Link #3
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

This one has been done ... but a very long time ago ...

The ninja Academy vs Harry Potter Magic School was done in the old forums even.

There is some similarities ... Naruto is better though
Old 2004-05-03, 15:29   Link #4
Lazy Shikamaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palani
I don'tthink it has been done. It's just against the rules.

Quote:
Vs. threads
Despite what the title says this forum does allow vs. threads, however they must be well constructed and have substance. The vs. threads are limited to material from the anime's universe. That means absolutely no threads containing DBZ or any other series in them are not allowed, no matter how well constructed it is, or how much subtance it has.

This means VS. threads are limited to the Naruto universe only. And I'm seeing this as a versus thread. Namely Naruto vs. Harry Potter. If I'm wrong shoot me and I'll edit this back on topic. And yes there seem to be similarities.
oh okay, you can delete it. no biggie I was just thinking of new topics to start talking about ~
Old 2004-05-03, 15:30   Link #5
Ramz

I've actually thought the same thing. They got the school, they got the teachers, all thats really diff is what's being taught...... and the fact that in the narutoverse, they go out on dangerous missions to make cash.
Old 2004-05-03, 15:51   Link #6
Muad'Dib
The Burninator

And the main character has this wicked power granted to him at birth from an evil being. Yeah, there are some similarities--except that Harry Potter is treated like a hero, and Naruto just the opposite. But then again, Harry Potter -did- kill He Who Must Not Be Named.

Hm, I don't know if this is a Vs. thread, mainly because I always thought vs. meant more like an agressive comparison, like which one is better. This is more like a passive comparison--but the rules are kinda vague on this, so I suppose that the mods will have to make a call on it. But that's a given anyway, so...yeah.
Old 2004-05-03, 15:57   Link #7
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palani
I don'tthink it has been done. It's just against the rules.

Quote:
Vs. threads
Despite what the title says this forum does allow vs. threads, however they must be well constructed and have substance. The vs. threads are limited to material from the anime's universe. That means absolutely no threads containing DBZ or any other series in them are not allowed, no matter how well constructed it is, or how much subtance it has.

This means VS. threads are limited to the Naruto universe only. And I'm seeing this as a versus thread. Namely Naruto vs. Harry Potter. If I'm wrong shoot me and I'll edit this back on topic. And yes there seem to be similarities.
this is an = thread. so it is not "who is more powerful" it is "are there similarities.

I am one to way no, and that the style of story is different, and same with the themes/goals of the characters.

Harry potter is just a story about a teenage kid living his life in a non-real universe

Naruto is a teenage kid striving for recognition in a non-real universe.
Old 2004-05-03, 15:58   Link #8
Lazy Shikamaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'Dib
And the main character has this wicked power granted to him at birth from an evil being. Yeah, there are some similarities--except that Harry Potter is treated like a hero, and Naruto just the opposite. But then again, Harry Potter -did- kill He Who Must Not Be Named.

Hm, I don't know if this is a Vs. thread, mainly because I always thought vs. meant more like an agressive comparison, like which one is better. This is more like a passive comparison--but the rules are kinda vague on this, so I suppose that the mods will have to make a call on it. But that's a given anyway, so...yeah.
oh yeah! I forgot about that ninetails thing.. hmm, you can also tell that at the beggining the two characters don't really do much of fighting when it comes to dealing with the enemy. Naruto eventually does do good stuff, but harry is still kinda crappy (be honest, when have you seen him do a real spell in the movies). I think the biggest comparison has to be Orochimaru and his obsession with wanting Sasuke (in this case it would be naruto instead, but no worries) so he can have his body. Same with the bad guy, he's been switching bodies as well.
Old 2004-05-03, 16:13   Link #9
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'Dib

It depends on how well it goes. If I like how the thread turns out, then I'll keep it.
Old 2004-05-03, 16:24   Link #10
Gai-Kakashi

So basically, our threads remain open or closed based on how well they amuse you at any given moment?

How's that for reading "the underneath beneth the underneath."
Old 2004-05-03, 16:26   Link #11
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Not exactly. Some threads are clearly legal while others are borderline or illegal threads. This thread is borderline and has been done before. Dranz is exercising his judgement as a moderator to allow a thread to break the rules because it is showing worthwhile promise.

This judgement is the defining difference between a mediocre moderator and a great moderator. That's enough about the threads legality. Now you have to have a good conversation or he might close it. Going off topic is not a good way to keep the thread.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-05-03, 16:28   Link #12
Gai-Kakashi

Just j/k'ing.
Old 2004-05-03, 16:36   Link #13
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

There are some simularities.
Most have been mentioned. Two that havent are that there are: There are three friends, two guys and a girl. There's an old master ninja/magician in charge somewhere.
I dont think it was done on purpose but I do think the immense popularity of both speaks volumes to the whole premise of youths demonstrating their power and worth in an adult world being captivating and entertaining. The magic and jutsus dont hurt either.
Old 2004-05-03, 16:39   Link #14
Dauthi
Searching for the Cure

Not to flame, ive seen this come up before. But do you people actually read hairy potter, or are you gettin this from the movies. I always looked at it as a childrens book (mostly based on the reading level the book is). I heard people say Hairy Potter is really wicked and dark! But to me its like compairing naruto to sesame street.

Dont get me wrong, the similarities are there, but i think its coincidental more than anything.
Old 2004-05-03, 16:51   Link #15
nh1
KAWAIII-III!!!! >^_^ >

You watch sesame street?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauthi
Dont get me wrong, the similarities are there, but i think its coincidental more than anything.
How do you know whether there are any similarities or not if you haven't read the books/seen the movies? And seriously, it's Harry not Hairy, you make it sound like some footballfan-cartoon
Also, of course it's coincidental, does that mean we can't discuss it? I mean, Kishimoto wouldn't copy Rowling's story!
Old 2004-05-03, 16:51   Link #16
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Kenta i don't think those two are even close.
Today 14:28
Gai-Kakashi Just j/k'ing.
yeah. that is a great way to keep this thread open

Quote:
Not to flame, ive seen this come up before. But do you people actually read hairy potter, or are you gettin this from the movies. I always looked at it as a childrens book (mostly based on the reading level the book is). I heard people say Hairy Potter is really wicked and dark! But to me its like compairing naruto to sesame street.

have you seen how much teen angst there is in the 5th book? you could pour out the angst and fill a swimming pool!

Naruto isnt that much more "evil" or "dark" than naruto. naruto may be more sad, but in my opinion, the humor brings it back to about even with HP.

At least Voldemore doesnt want to take harry potter's body = =
Old 2004-05-03, 16:57   Link #17
nh1
KAWAIII-III!!!! >^_^ >

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
At least Voldemore doesnt want to take harry potter's body = =
Is it still safe to assume he doesn't look like a certain smooth criminal?
Old 2004-05-03, 17:02   Link #18
Loco-Motiv

HM, well.. I think most stories have a basic set of persons, situations, etc.

Bad guyes, good guyes.
Good guy sucks bigtime in the beginning, etc...

Look at Star Wars for example
Old 2004-05-03, 17:02   Link #19
Dauthi
Searching for the Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh1
You watch sesame street?

How do you know whether there are any similarities or not if you haven't read the books/seen the movies? And seriously, it's Harry not Hairy, you make it sound like some footballfan-cartoon
Also, of course it's coincidental, does that mean we can't discuss it? I mean, Kishimoto wouldn't copy Rowling's story!

I knew i was gonna get bombarded by Harry fans. Ive seen the movie, so i know basically what you are talking about. I just wanted to know if the harry potter series actually was "dark" or whatever, because the movie certainly didnt seem that way.

Also yes i used to watch sesame street when i was little, of course that was my generations thing. I also used to read goosebumps, and at the time i thought it was dark and scary

Although i understand that Naruto isnt exactly an adult anime, its just wierd comparing these two.
Old 2004-05-03, 17:11   Link #20
nh1
KAWAIII-III!!!! >^_^ >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauthi
I knew i was gonna get bombarded by Harry fans.
You make "Harry fans" sound like a bad thing.
Well, I don't know what you categorize as a fan, I've read all the books, but I wouldn't say I was being overprotective in my previous post. I basically just noticed something illogical and corrected your name-spelling