AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-07-17, 14:10   Link #41
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Personally I use Internet Explorer since in it's latest version, it tends to work stably, is faster than some of the previous builds, and generally it just works; even if it abuses the standards, it's an unfortunate truth that most websites are built with IE compatibility in mind, as the largest target browser demographic, I've seen websites from large companies that are incompatible with several other browsers like firefox.
Chrome I tend to favour for (especially older) netbook usage as it's pretty light, and fast.
Safari I tried, but a bit too buggy, Firefox I tried out for a while through a few revisions and it just turned out too buggy for my liking, the addons are nice, but it never won me over enough to switch. Opera, same gist.

Hell I remember and used Netscape and the Compuserve browser so it's not like I've not like I've gone through one or two, I just decided to stick with the simplicity of IE. If it ever starts going backwards again however then I will re-evaluate my options at the time.
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 16:04   Link #42
Wirbelwind8
d-_-b

I have a computer with google chrome and one with firefox. Im a little disappointed with chrome, but that's because Im spoiled from internet explorer.

Either Im just lazy or stupid, but chrome feels less user friendly. Firefox is pretty much like Internet explorer, but I've had less problems with it.

Internet explorer is just bad (good with the user, bad on the computer). I used it the longest, I just changed over to firefox and chrome a couple months ago. I've had less crap to deal with with spyware etc.
Old 2010-07-23, 04:53   Link #43
Jaden

I used IE until some of the sites I frequent begun boycotting it, forcing me to go Firefox...seems like the same thing in a slightly different package.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 01:12   Link #44
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

As of now, with regards to GPU Acceleration, I think IE9 is in the lead right now, if the benchmarks are to be believed. I'm curiously waiting for the beta right now.

Firefox 4 seems to be a memory hog right now, I've used Beta 2 and it seems that it drags down my work.
Old 2010-07-31, 01:18   Link #45
Tsumugi~
"This guy are sick."

I've used Firefox for two years, in one of the latest versions though it started giving me stupid errors without any reason. I switched to Chrome and all I can say it's AWESOME.
Old 2010-07-31, 09:01   Link #46
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana-tan87 View Post
I've used Firefox for two years, in one of the latest versions though it started giving me stupid errors without any reason. I switched to Chrome and all I can say it's AWESOME.
If you close the last tab does it still close the browser these days? or did they fix it.
Old 2010-07-31, 09:14   Link #47
Tsumugi~
"This guy are sick."

Yeah it does :X
Old 2010-07-31, 09:33   Link #48
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
If you close the last tab does it still close the browser these days? or did they fix it.
I don't consider that a problem though. It's just the browser's interface. I'm used to always keeping a tab open if I'm still browsing. When I close my last tab that means I'm done using the internet for the moment. '_'
Old 2010-07-31, 09:42   Link #49
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
I don't consider that a problem though. It's just the browser's interface. I'm used to always keeping a tab open if I'm still browsing. When I close my last tab that means I'm done using the internet for the moment. '_'
I know I do the same out of habit .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 11:35   Link #50
zette

Firefox. I've just become too used to it after all these years. I tried out Chrome for a while due to all the hype and buzz surrounding it but in the end I just prefer the look and feel of Firefox over the increased speed which to me was often negligible.

Quote:
All browsers do that as far as I know. If you hit ctrl F4 while only on one tab, the browser closes. The difference is that in Chrome, the X button is still present on the tab even if you're only on one tab. That was one thing which annoyed me about Chrome; sometimes I would click on that X by accident which is annoying.
Old 2010-07-31, 13:21   Link #51
Tsumugi~
"This guy are sick."

Never had any problems with the X, and I'd take speed over looks anytime. Besides, you can change chrome's theme anyway :>
Old 2010-07-31, 13:33   Link #52
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I've grown to just love the default themes in browsers. They are not the best, but its nice that everything looks/works as intended (something custom styles/themes mess with a lot).
Quote:
Originally Posted by zette View Post
All browsers do that as far as I know. If you hit ctrl F4 while only on one tab
Ctrl+F4 is suppose to always close the application. Its Ctrl+W (or similar) for tabs. Also FF technically doesn't (I also use tab mix plus which doesn't do it), Opera doesn't, IE doesn't, Safari doesn't (I think; don't use it other for testing though). Other weird browsers I've come across over the years testing cross-browser compatibility also never did it! Chrome is just stupid when it comes to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
I often end up opening a lot of tabs. I'm too lazy to think "oh I've used this enough and I won't be using it in the next 3min 20s so I can close the tab for 5min before the next possible moment I'll have to use it" ...I instead just leave them there and close-on-mass. And its so easy to close that last tab and have the browser blow on you. This behavior is like having Photoshop go boom! when you close the last opened document, or Windows instantly going on standby when you close the last window. I understand it starts fast, but I'm sure windows starts fast from standby too. Why do I have to do all this pointless extra work like clicking its icon (or in my case type part of its name, since I use a keystroke launcher) and have the damn thing fade-in and out on me every 5 minutes (when I do tab purge again).

Anyway, sorry for the rant =P its not directed at you or anything. Last time I checked on Chrome this issue was high up on their suggestion page-thing.

T_T Google sure can fail sometimes...
Old 2010-07-31, 13:53   Link #53
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
I often end up opening a lot of tabs. I'm too lazy to think "oh I've used this enough and I won't be using it in the next 3min 20s so I can close the tab for 5min before the next possible moment I'll have to use it" ...I instead just leave them there and close-on-mass. And its so easy to close that last tab and have the browser blow on you. This behavior is like having Photoshop go boom! when you close the last opened document, or Windows instantly going on standby when you close the last window. I understand it starts fast, but I'm sure windows starts fast from standby too. Why do I have to do all this pointless extra work like clicking its icon (or in my case type part of its name, since I use a keystroke launcher) and have the damn thing fade-in and out on me every 5 minutes (when I do tab purge again).
Wait how are you able to close the last tab in firefox? Because on version 3.6.8, the "x" to close the tab goes as away, and so does the option to manually close it from right click when you only have one tab open, so there is no way to close it.
MAL

Last edited by Kotohono; 2010-07-31 at 14:09. Reason: Grammer police before lol
Old 2010-07-31, 13:58   Link #54
Tsumugi~
"This guy are sick."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Wait how are you able to close the last tab in firefox? Cause on version I am using 3.6.8 the "x" to close the tab goes as away does option to manually close it from right click when you only have one tab open, so no way to close it.
Lolwut^
Old 2010-07-31, 14:13   Link #55
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana-tan87 View Post
Lolwut^
I mention version cause I think felix is/was using the firefox 4.0 beta which might not have everything working properly . Also slight grammatical error on my previous post, writing never been my strong point meh. Dunno what else you'd be getting at as Felix was ranting about closing the last tab causing his browser to shutdown, which shouldn't be possible to do in firefox.
MAL
Old 2010-07-31, 14:21   Link #56
Tsumugi~
"This guy are sick."

Well I don't know if firefox changed now, I stopped using it like 1 year ago. Also ctrl+W does close the tab on Chrome!
Old 2010-07-31, 15:03   Link #57
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Wait how are you able to close the last tab in firefox?
Tab Mix Plus: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1122/ I have it since it shows me loading bars on tabs, recently opened tabs in yellow, allows me to lock/protect tabs, duplicate the current tab (very useful). Among other things it also allows me to close the last tab, thank god.

I also use FaviconizeTab and have it set to auto favicon tabs from things like imagehosts (lol, imageshack), imageboards, etc.

Well, I do have FF4 beta(s) installed like you guessed, but they don't work with the above; not to mention firebug and locationbar. So no love </3 for it. And thats no bug, nothing wrong with closing the current annoying page that messes with your back button though redirects and flashes a hundred ads at you (I google too much, yes =P). It's also bad interface design to be honest to just take away the ability for such a pathetic reason like "its the last tab."
Old 2010-08-01, 01:53   Link #58
zette

Quote:
Ctrl+F4 is suppose to always close the application. Its Ctrl+W (or similar) for tabs. Also FF technically doesn't (I also use tab mix plus which doesn't do it), Opera doesn't, IE doesn't, Safari doesn't (I think; don't use it other for testing though). Other weird browsers I've come across over the years testing cross-browser compatibility also never did it! Chrome is just stupid when it comes to that.
Ctrl F4 does close just one tab -- that shortcut is meant to close the current document, not the whole application. Are you sure you're not mixing it up with Alt F4, which is meant to close the current application? I just tested Ctrl W on IE and FF and hitting that key combination while on one tab only does close the application. This can be changed in FF though by going to about:config and changing browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab to false. There's probably something like that for Chrome too, but at any rate Google should really remove the X button from the tab when you're only on one tab.
Old 2010-08-01, 06:26   Link #59
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Oh, right my bad, mixed them up. ^^
Old 2010-08-06, 04:57   Link #60
ShadowClone
Genin Featherweight

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowClone Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowClone
Firefox is my default browser. Actually, I've been using it since it was the early "Gecko" engine, seen in the old Netscape 6/7 browsers (tabbed browsing rules!). Never did get used to IE, whatever incarnation/versions Microsoft came out with.

As for its "webpage rendering issues", this is easily solved by the IETab Plus add-on, which allows you to use the IE rendering engine within Firefox, so no need to open IE separately. The add-on supports AdBlock Plus as well, so even with the IE rendering engine, you STIll get to block off annoying ads!
ShadowClone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chrome, excited, firefox, internet explorer, opera, reviews