AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-15, 15:37   Link #1
mistasparkaru

Could you recomend me some films? or short series?

I've been out of the loop for years, the last time I was up to date was the mid 90s. I've tried to get back into anime every so often with some success but a lot a failures ( I tried watching what ppl recommended on Amazon and got nowhere )

Some of my favourite films are anime but there just seems to be so much tat out there...

Here are some of my favourites..

Ghibli - Spirited away, Totoro ( I could watch all day)
Monoke / howls moving castle where quite good, but not really in the same league.
I quite liked the girl who leapt through time.
Metropolis was good

Jin roh was ok, Akira was great but felt a bit mangled in going to film from manga.

I watched a bit of bleach and liked it but never really had time to get into it as there always seemed to be something better to do.

I'm not against any genre but I dont like the ninja scroll/fist of the north star style at all.
Old 2010-10-15, 20:24   Link #2
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

For movies,
Summer wars - for simple watching

Millenium actress - goes kind of deep, needs thinking

Vexille - Mecha type with very wierd real background and animated characters, broadens horizons

Appleseed and Appleseed Ex Machina - Again mecha. I think it doesn't have the real life background of Vexille so it may not be as strange looking. Skip this if you don't like Vexille or vice versa

Paprika - Colourful, wierd. Good taste test

Grave of the Fireflies - Top in my book for sad anime. Yes its bloody sad

Kino no Tabi - Any of the OVAs. Each is seperate. You don't need to know the full story. Very philosphical
Old 2010-10-15, 20:28   Link #3
Endrance
~Rock ☆~
*Graphic Designer

Grave of the fireflies was very very good also so sad
Armitage- Loved the movies nice future setting and violence
Old 2010-10-16, 16:39   Link #4
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

A short series.. One would be Murder Princess (6 episodes) (involves alot of Yuri scenes)
Old 2010-10-16, 16:50   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Definitely check out Whisper of the Heart

Maybe the Read Or Die OVA series?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-10-16, 17:25   Link #6
jedinat

Check out Eve no Jikan (film version)
Old 2010-10-17, 02:02   Link #7
signorRossi

Second 'Summer Wars', better than 'The Girl Who Leapt through Time' IMO. Then the Satoshi Kon movies already mentioned (Millennium Actress, Paprika) and his other works, 'Tokyo Godfathers', 'Perfect Blue', 'Paranoia Agent'. Then the Ghibli movies you haven't seen yet ('Tales of Earthsea' is the weakest IMO btw, so leave that as the last one) and then you should also watch the classic 'Lupin: Castle of Cagliostro' for some great fun!
Old 2010-10-17, 16:08   Link #8
Niji

In case you like music:
Nitaboh - about a blind shamisen player - beautiful movie
Piano no Mori - two very different kids who play the piano - also very beautiful

Funny and kinda heart-warming:
Arashi no Yoru ni - story about an unusual friendship between a goat and a wolf

For serious topics:
Barefoot Gen 1 and 2 - about Hiroshima

In case 12 epis still count as short series, I suggest Spice and Wolf I and II. Each is 12 epis long and well worth the watch.

I have a couple more movies and stuff, just not sure it is what you are looking for. Maybe a bit more insight in what you like etc. would be helpful.

Apart of that, seconding any Ghibli movie. The new one is now in our cinemas and I just cant wait to see it! Nausicaa is very nice as well, so is the Witch's delivery service, and more. But yeah, Chihiro and Totoro are kinda special...
Old 2010-10-17, 16:29   Link #9
pleasesavemyearth

I'd say...

I would suggest Escaflowne, the movie version. It's a lot easier to follow than the anime, in my opinion. :3

And of course all Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki movies are breathtaking, Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind being my favorite. I can't wait for the new movie, Kari-gurashi to come out in December!
Old 2010-10-18, 15:35   Link #10
mistasparkaru

Thanks everbody ...

I'll give Tokyo godfarthers and whispers of the heart a watch first, I thought wisper of the heart might be another name for the cat returns.. another film I enjoyed.
Old 2010-10-18, 20:48   Link #11
pleasesavemyearth

The Cat Returns is a kinda a sequel/prequel of the Whisper of the Heart. Both great, but I prefer WOTH better.
Old 2010-10-19, 13:51   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

For short series, you might take a look at a couple of anthologies that consist of multiple stories in 2-4 episode arcs. I'd start with Bakeneko and Mononoke then try Aoi Bungaku. These are all pretty mature with serious themes; there's a bit more humor in "Bakeneko" and Mononoke. In the action department, you should try the two seasons of Black Lagoon. I found season two better than season one.

A couple of six-episode series you might like are FLCL and Mnemosyne. The latter has gore, ecchi, and some yuri scenes. FLCL is just crazy and a bit ecchi as well.

In the 11-12 episode department, I'd recommend Baccano!, Kure-nai, Bartender, Hataraki Man, and House of Five Leaves. The last one comes from FujiTV's Noitamina block; you'll find a number of excellent shows of this length there. (Don't watch the Nodame Cantabile sequels unless you watch the original 23-episode series first.)

If you want to watch a few short episodic cartoons, I recommend Chi's Sweet Home and Higepiyo. Charady's Daily Joke is bit more adult.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-10-19 at 14:05.
Old 2010-10-23, 07:47   Link #13
Lunar Winds
Break Me~

I would recommend Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens. It's a personal favorite. If not there's always Sola.
Old 2010-10-24, 21:34   Link #14
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

Eve no Jikan and Kara no kyoukai
Shiro
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
Currently Doing:
Currently Hidden in depths of Chireiden

Old 2010-10-25, 15:53   Link #15
meko

Maybe you would enjoy seeing some of Satoshi Kon's films, such as Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Actress, and Paprika. They are aimed at an older audience (But are not all about explosions, violence, and sex)
Old 2010-10-26, 12:29   Link #16
Kagayaki

Seconding Kara no Kyoukai.

You might also look into Diebuster, the 6 episode sequel to Gunbuster (or if you haven't watched Gunbuster, that's 6 episodes too).