AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-01, 00:38   Link #1
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Avi vs Mp4? which is better? Compare/contrast

Which is better? what are the differences? I want too convert a .Mkv file into one of these formats. Which one provides the best video/audio? Also is there away I can convert this loss-less? Space is not a problem for me. I want to be able to play this with subs through a HD TV via USB hard drive.

I'm trying to convert a .Mkv file with these specs

Video: H264/AVC 1920x1080p [~3200-5800 kBit/s]
Audio: AC3 2.0 384 kbps

Old 2012-01-01, 00:44   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Huh. My dad's Samsung HDTV can play .mkv formats fine...
Old 2012-01-01, 00:53   Link #3
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Huh. My dad's Samsung HDTV can play .mkv formats fine...
hehe its true both my HDTV,and bluray player play .mkv files brilliantly, its just that I want the soft subtitles to show up better, I herd you can somehow keep original font if converted.
Old 2012-01-01, 01:13   Link #4
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

.MKV is a container, as are the .AVI and the .MP4. File extensions don't really have too much to do with soft or hardsubs. There is such a thing as a hardsubbed .MKV file.
But if you want the original fonts and things of that nature, then what all programs do you have for your converting.
Old 2012-01-01, 02:26   Link #5
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreGon45 View Post
.MKV is a container, as are the .AVI and the .MP4. File extensions don't really have too much to do with soft or hardsubs. There is such a thing as a hardsubbed .MKV file.
But if you want the original fonts and things of that nature, then what all programs do you have for your converting.
im not quite sure, I was hoping you guys knew some good recommended software that I can use. I'm a novice at this kind of stuff
Old 2012-01-01, 02:57   Link #6
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

There's a program called MKV to AVI Converter which the title already tells you what it can do. It also can convert the stylistic subtitles too though it failed in some cases.

My question is, are you sure you want to convert those MKVs to AVIs? Coz that will surely reduces the quality of the video.

Also, most blu-ray players out there really can't play those MKV subs. As far as I can remember, you have to own a PS3 and add some programs/freewares from the net to be able to play MKV subs. Other method is to directly connect your TV to your computer.
Old 2012-01-01, 03:03   Link #7
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
There's a program called MKV to AVI Converter which the title already tells you what it can do. It also can convert the stylistic subtitles too though it failed in some cases.

My question is, are you sure you want to convert those MKVs to AVIs? Coz that will surely reduces the quality of the video.
waaa? that's a total buzz kill I was hoping there was a way to Convert MKV Into AVI without Losing Subtitles and Quality. The only reason I would want to convert is because I like the font style, and I have problem extracting subs from a mkv and putting it into a .srt file so I can accompany the mkv with subs on my HDTV
Old 2012-01-01, 03:12   Link #8
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
waaa? that's a total buzz kill I was hoping there was a way to Convert MKV Into AVI without Losing Subtitles and Quality. The only reason I would want to convert is because I like the font style, and I have problem extracting subs from a mkv and putting it into a .srt file so I can accompany the mkv with subs on my HDTV
I know how you feel, man. I was just like you when I just bought a Blu-ray player. I wanted to see my HD animes on my TV screen, but it didn't work (it played the vids okay, but no subs). Converting to AVI is NOT an option for me. So, like I said before, if you really want to see your MKV animes with subs on TV, you either have to connect it to your PC or buy a PS3 or buy an entertainment set called Popcorn Hour.
Old 2012-01-01, 03:18   Link #9
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
I want to be able to play this with subs through a HD TV via USB hard drive.
Come to think of it, modern HDTV's can play .srt and other subs within mkv files just fine. The problem is, almost all fansubs use .ass sub files. Is there just no way to add support for those on these TV's? Kinda defeats the purpose of playing USB video if you have to hook up a computer to the TV just to decode the subs.
Old 2012-01-01, 03:25   Link #10
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
Come to think of it, modern HDTV's can play .srt and other subs within mkv files just fine. The problem is, almost all fansubs use .ass sub files. Is there just no way to add support for those on these TV's? Kinda defeats the purpose of playing USB video if you have to hook up a computer to the TV just to decode the subs.
It works its just when I try to extract the .ass subtitles and convert it to .srt subtitles, TV supports .ssa subtitles but it needs to be a separate file, and in same folder as the .mkv file with the same name, so that the subs load up on tv

e.g

USB ---> Video Folder --> Anime x ---> Episode 1 ---> "epi 1.mkv" "epi 1.ssa" or "epi 1. srt"

the only problem is that the subtitles font codecs show like "FFF15 babalalal" with the sub translations. How do I fix this? and what program is best to extract subtitles and convert?
Old 2012-01-01, 03:25   Link #11
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
Yup, that's right. srt and some other formats are no problem for my players too. We all had a hard time with the ass format, and so far I heard, the only device who can decode it and play it on TV are just PS3 and Popcorn Hour.
Old 2012-01-01, 03:30   Link #12
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yup, that's right. srt and some other formats are no problem for my players too. We all had a hard time with the ass format, and so far I heard, the only device who can decode it and play it on TV are just PS3 and Popcorn Hour.
i wish I had a PS3, but I used up my all my allowance on a 70 year old vintage Mandolin, I got a good deal on it it was $1800, but I got it for $900 because no body bought, and it was just sitting in the store so the ps3 can play Mkv with no mods? On a other note, I do have a video converter, its called AVS Video Converter, but I don't think I'll trust it with loss-less converting.
Old 2012-01-01, 03:39   Link #13
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
so the ps3 can play Mkv with no mods?
You just have to install a freeware called PS3 Media Server from the net to your PS3.
Old 2012-01-01, 14:09   Link #14
spikexp

Quote:

the only problem is that the subtitles font codecs show like "FFF15 babalalal" with the sub translations. How do I fix this? and what program is best to extract subtitles and convert?
What program do you use to convert the subtitle?
I use subtitle workshop 4 (beta I think), just to convert sub. It does a good job from what I've seen.
Old 2012-01-01, 18:42   Link #15
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
It sounds like you should be able to do what you want with the equipment that you have. I'm not totally clear on what you mean regarding the problem with the subtitles - it sounds like the program you're using just isn't handling the conversion properly?
Old 2012-01-02, 08:02   Link #16
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
It sounds like you should be able to do what you want with the equipment that you have. I'm not totally clear on what you mean regarding the problem with the subtitles - it sounds like the program you're using just isn't handling the conversion properly?
yep, I tried using another subtitle extractor, and it my problems were resolved! The only problem left is to put those darn order chapters together so the OP/ED work in the video
Old 2012-01-07, 07:54   Link #17
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Not sure how old the MKVs are you are trying to convert, but you can try Xvid4PSP 5.0- it's fairly dated now and can be a little hard to use, but for me, it has managed to convert MKVs into another format whilst retaining the ASS styling and such (most of the time).
(See here)
Old 2012-01-07, 14:45   Link #18
NeoChan
Banned

MP4s! Most video downloads are in that format. It's a space saver for me.
Old 2012-01-07, 23:14   Link #19
Davkilla101

Mhmm, If you're looking for a converter, I always use Youtube downloader (apart from downloading youtube videos) when converting audio files (I do this frequently as my iPod doesn't accept anything other than MP4), though it does tend to distort the sound of the video to a certain degree depending on the file type you are converting from and converting to (For example, when I convert .MP4 to .Avi, it sounds like total garbage; If you decide to use YD for conversions and need a little help, don't hesitate to drop me a PM, i'd gladly assist you in getting it set up).

As to what format I think is better, I'd have to agree with Neochan on that point, since all the .avi files I have sound like garbage, and the .mp4 files i have have decent to excellent audio quality (little to no cracking in the sound).

Hope this helps

Last edited by Davkilla101; 2012-01-08 at 00:33.
Closed Thread

Tags
avi, format, mkv, mp4