AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 91 41.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 77 35.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 14.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 5.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.91%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.45%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.45%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-27, 09:59   Link #221
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
If you really mean that they should not have rearranged the episodes the way they did, I disagree completely. That would have been too ordinary. And the rearrangement is not just for the sake of confusion, I don't believe. It is an additional element in the show's excellence. It just gives me that feeling that says "Art". This doesn't cover it, but you could say that the rearrangement is a hint of the malleability of time.
I've accepted the arrangement as part of the show after episode two, after I waited for a nervous Mikuru singing the OP once again and it didn't come. The rearrangement might not be just for the sake of confusion, but it does deliver ample amount of it nontheless. There is a trend for this particular kind of storytelling though it was more noticeable in movies than in TV series i.e. Beyond the Cloud and GiTS: Innocence leap into mind. Spectacularly animated shows like those seem to want to give their audience a "complex" story for what ever reason and the arranging the story in a jumble seems to be the way the feeling of complexity is achieved. GiTS: Innocence has such a simple story and yet, it was one of the most confusing thing I've watched because of how the story was presented. There are couple of things I still haven't figured out about Beyond the Cloud. Thankfully, SH is episodic in nature and the story is coming into light episode by episode though it isn't following the conventional way of telling story in animated series. The arrangement isn't affecting the enjoyment factor which makes the show pretty unique in its own merit. Artsy? Well, okay.

Quote:
For better and worse, I believe that people may soon be writing PhD's on this series.
Old 2006-04-27, 10:36   Link #222
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappster
Generally yes a playmaker is regarded as a creative midfielder. Recent examples in RL would be say Riquelme, Zidane and Ronaldinho I guess.
You forgot to mention Steven Gerrard, but we're getting way off topic here now.

SOS Brigade Winning Eleven (Konami's so gonna sue me), this just came off my mind.

Spoiler for SOS Brigade FC Starting Line-up:

Since Haruhi's going to run the show, she's the captain and the sole striker. I envision her using a 3-5-2 formation (probably just made up, since Haruhi only concerns herself with scoring.) Poor Mikuru-chan is "forced" into being Haruhi's support striker, of course, the only thing Mikuru-chan could do is "distract" the opposition.

Since Yuki doesn't waste her movements unless necessary, she's the keeper. While Koizumi, always preferring the backstage and grinning like an idiot, stays at the back as well as a sweeper and tries (note emphasis on "tries") to clear everything that comes his way, since the left and right backs, Kunikida and Taniguchi, are crap.

Tsuruya-san and Kyon's lil sister are there to make up the numbers further, with two others to try and pack up the midfield and reduce the damage.

So in the end, it's really up to Yuki's tampering of the "match data" on the pitch, Kyon being the midfield engine that provides Haruhi with her explosive pace to try and score, as much as possible. At this rate, Haruhi can smash through the billions of Chel$ki and win the Champions League......OK, I think I'll shut up now before the non-soccer people go crazy.
Old 2006-04-27, 10:56   Link #223
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO

*flops on the floor as his brain trickles out of his ear*

X_x
Old 2006-04-27, 11:01   Link #224
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
etc etc. (edited for brevity)

Yuki makes a horrible goalkeeper, she doesn't touch anything out of her arms' reach! ^^;
Spoiler for Kyon's 'interest', novel spoilers:

The anti-climatic thing was something I mentioned a lot earlier in the Speculation thread that worried me about a Yuu-utsu only season despite the fact that its has a suitable season-ending epic feel. When things are rearranged in chronology the series will feel like it tapers off to the end. Actually the movie idea sounds to be really good. That way both the 2 major plot arcs (Vol. 1 Yuu-utsu and Vol. 4 Shoushitsu) can be covered with enough time to tell them well and also not forget the very fun short 'filler-ish' but still fairly important for character development stories. In fact doing Shoushitsu as a movie is looking to be ideal to me... Imagine the anguished anticipation the fans have to go through if Shoushitsu's story is done in a weekly episodic format!

Yuki as goalkeeper will only work IF she uses her reality bending 'spells'. If not, then Kyon would probably have step between the posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
Heathen. it's called Football.
what the hell is a "playmaker"? You mean a Midfielder? probably Centre-forward in my opinion, to bring up the support for Haruhi.
As for Mikuru....er....i think i'lll put her on a left-back, just tuck her, out of sight out of mind. ^^
I know its called Football, and I prefer calling it that too, just when you live too long in the US you have to adopt the 'heathenistic' soccer/football distinction else noone will know what you're talking about

As for Playmaker... Zappster already answered that. I was thinking of Zidane when I used the term on Kyon.

Kinny Riddle:
Even with my screen zoomed in on max I couldn't read that image
Actually I think Tsuruya-san wouldn't be too shabby on the field. She's the only one other than Kyon shown to make a good dive-catch in the baseball match. Plus in the novel Kyon did describe her as "sporty".

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-27, 11:25   Link #225
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Do you want concrete proof from the anime? Or what I can tell you right now based on my knowledge from 7 (soon to be 8) volumes of the novel?
Sushi-Y, I'm becoming quite the Yuki fan myself after just these last few episodes. The reason I was looking for concrete evidence from the currently aired episodes is... This is an ep4 thread ^^ If this discussion had come up in a different thread, later novel spoilers would fit in perfectly, but since we're in the ep4 thread... I'm just trying to follow the rules ^^

Quote:
# Try to keep spoilers from the Novel or Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Novel / Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
Old 2006-04-27, 16:56   Link #226
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
Yuki - Since she hardly even moves... Goalkeeper. One of her 'spells' would make the SOS-dan goalposts an impenetrable wall plus with a light kick (analogous to her throw in the baseball game) she could score goals from across the field and give Chilavert a run for his money
You realise that she's a double edged sword as a keeper right? Let's all remember the 5 balls that she caught in practice were the 5 balls that were going to hit her
Personally I'd use her "Unlimited Bat Works" skills to burn a hole in the opposing team's net

Speaking of which, Itsuki for keeper as he was the catcher for a good majority of the game in the episode.

And Kyon for defender position since all plays start from the defender (or so I'm lead to believe )

Man all this talk about football, makes me even more anxious for May 17th...gunners for champions! (all that and in the middle of playoff season for hockey too, at least I have time for more Haruhi )
Old 2006-04-27, 17:03   Link #227
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
Actually, the defenders don't normally make plays (unless they are exceptionally good players), it's the center midfielders that do (the outside mids are normally used to run and shoot at goal to support the forwards).

Yuki would make the perfect forward, most of them just stand around and wait for the ball anyways, and if she can kick as hard as she throws ...
Old 2006-04-27, 17:08   Link #228
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX
Yuki would make the perfect forward, most of them just stand around and wait for the ball anyways, and if she can kick as hard as she throws ...
Hmm.. thats a good point... SOS United could start off with Haruhi tipping the ball to Yuki leading to instant snipe on goal 0.1 seconds into the game

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-04-27, 17:25   Link #229
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
Hmm.. thats a good point... SOS United could start off with Haruhi tipping the ball to Yuki leading to instant snipe on goal 0.1 seconds into the game
Lol, I'm sure Haruhi wouldn't stand for it being called anything other than SOS-Dan
Old 2006-04-27, 17:48   Link #230
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

I don't think Haruhi would pass the ball to Yuki, ever. Maybe when they're abit on the losing side, but I'd think she'd still go for the goal herself.
Old 2006-04-27, 20:10   Link #231
Souten no Seigyoku
The Anti-Moron

The show is funny as hell (xcept episode 1 or 00), but I dont like the jumble at all. Ep2 and 3 were linear and then all of a sudden theres a lot of stuff in ep4 that I have no clue about. Like her causing problems when shes angry, the new club member, or the fact that they know the girl in the glasses has powers.

I guess theyre trying something new that hasnt been done, but its not going to work. Its just a horrible idea. I will keep watching for the hillariousness of the comedy, but if this keeps up, Im going to get seriously aggrivated.
Old 2006-04-27, 20:15   Link #232
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Except it IS going to work ... Haruhi is the Super Director, and doing as she pleases ... like she always does XD
Old 2006-04-27, 20:32   Link #233
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souten no Seigyoku
The show is funny as hell (xcept episode 1 or 00), but I dont like the jumble at all. Ep2 and 3 were linear and then all of a sudden theres a lot of stuff in ep4 that I have no clue about. Like her causing problems when shes angry, the new club member, or the fact that they know the girl in the glasses has powers.

I guess theyre trying something new that hasnt been done, but its not going to work. Its just a horrible idea. I will keep watching for the hillariousness of the comedy, but if this keeps up, Im going to get seriously aggrivated.
I hope it drives you insane
Old 2006-04-27, 20:39   Link #234
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Ep.1 has GOT to be one of the best episodes in recent history. Just about anything Kyon says in that ep was making me chuckle upto downright LOL. They also did a great re-enactment of amateur video production. See Mikuru's Mikuru Beam.

I respect your opinion if you much rather prefer a linear. But I'm having a blast this way. I'm sure there was a good reason behind the mixing of episodes; otherwise, they (KyoAni) wouldn't do it. I'm confident that KyoAni will continue to delight us with future episodes of Haruhi.
Old 2006-04-27, 21:02   Link #235
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius
I respect your opinion if you much rather prefer a linear. But I'm having a blast this way. I'm sure there was a good reason behind the mixing of episodes; otherwise, they (KyoAni) wouldn't do it. I'm confident that KyoAni will continue to delight us with future episodes of Haruhi.
What impresses me is KyoAni is able to do it without a large segment of the novels' fans screaming about it. Most studios would have screwed things up by now if they changed the order of events, yet KyoAni hasn't. That shows their quality work. Besides, one could always rewatch the episodes in the order Haruhi gives in the previews so it's presented in a more linear fashion. Personally, I think linear is overrated.
Old 2006-04-27, 21:14   Link #236
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Quote:
...without a large segment of the novels' fans screaming about it...
You're right~!! I never noticed that. Maybe they're too happy about the episode to complain? Naahh.
Quote:
Personally, I think linear is overrated.
Lol, maybe we'll start seeing chaotic ordering in other series staring next season, courtesy of Ultra Director Suzumiya Haruhi. Now, whether they do it successfully or not, that's another story.
Old 2006-04-27, 21:29   Link #237
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I must say if they can pull this off in the series, it will be brilliant ... I love time fragmented story experiments where you have to "grok" the whole thing through spacetime to grasp the story. Its like a step above "point of view" narration where the same story gets told via different people and you have to piece it together after reading the whole thing.
Old 2006-04-27, 21:37   Link #238
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I prefer the point of view trick, but out of sequence is also a very nifty trick (if you can pull it off). Sometimes it becomes confusing, but so far I think KyoAni has actually been very succesful at making the episodes watchable despite jumping around.

EDIT: When done well, you can actually learn more by watching the events out of sequence as you are required to expend more brainpower on what's going on.
Old 2006-04-27, 22:34   Link #239
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
**EDIT** scratch what I said before.

Anyways so basically they are putting manga ch's that should come later on as like foreshadows into the anime right now?

No wonder I didn't understand most of what they were talking about except the hilarious parts shown. Like Kyons little sister!! can't get enough of her.
Old 2006-04-27, 22:52   Link #240
Adigard

How do you foreshadow events that have already happened in the anime? ^^

Personally I'm really enjoying the flashbacks of future events they're using to force the viewers to use guesswork to fill in the missing gaps ^_^
Closed Thread