AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 69 48.25%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 53 37.06%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 10.49%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 2.10%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.40%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.70%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-13, 01:06   Link #61
ChicoChi
The Great Tsundere Tamer

The whole Anime Tenchou part was hilarious! All that fanfare and all Kona needed was an AA bookmarker(the Gamer's reference was cool too since there's an Anime Gamer's store nearby, anything AA related can be found there :P). Shiraishi's assertiveness... awesome. Lots of good in this episode.
Old 2007-06-13, 01:27   Link #62
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
It should be noted that, this time, afk did not try to translate and adapt the "tsundere" term for the western audience.
Old 2007-06-13, 01:47   Link #63
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
It should be noted that, this time, afk did not try to translate and adapt the "tsundere" term for the western audience.
For one scene, they did translate/adapt "sama" and I thought it was brilliant. Although I would have gotten the gag without the localization, I thought it really added a little extra something.
Old 2007-06-13, 02:42   Link #64
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post
For one scene, they did translate/adapt "sama" and I thought it was brilliant. Although I would have gotten the gag without the localization, I thought it really added a little extra something.
It was funny how Kagami's intention to make fun of Konata backfired.
Old 2007-06-13, 02:44   Link #65
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Hee. Yes, the Kagami-sama bit was great.
Old 2007-06-13, 03:31   Link #66
JPZ
Ninjin loves you, yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
Anime Tenchou (the store scene) promo vid:

Spoiler for Anime Tenchou:
that is the best animated Cm i have ever seen
Old 2007-06-13, 05:51   Link #67
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by archanfels View Post
- Still don't like Kagami singing..
When I heard the first notes and lines from "I'm Proud" I thought, "I have this song on CD and who sang this originally?" Then I remembered that there are some high notes and rapid-fire lines in the song and wondered if Kagami would hit them properly. When she didn't (and Konata teased her about it, "Caved, huh?"), and then had to take a break to recover, I smiled with sympathy.

To me, this is what makes the ending karaoke bits enjoyable. Not just that they sing a variety of songs from different genres and styles (and usually very well), but that this is exactly how real karaoke sessions are (at least for me).

You enter lots of songs to not waste time with dead space like Konata. "We only have two hours so start singing! ... It'll be a waste if you don't load up the list." - Konata from ep. 1.

You have your people who are surprisingly good singers, although you wouldn't know it from just their speaking voice. "You're really good, Kona-chan!", "You can also sound like an adult." - Tsukasa and Miyuki, commenting on Konata's singing from ep. 3.

You have people that are either shy, uncertain, or don't know many songs so they primarily listen (or sing along quietly ). "I wonder if there's anything I can sing...", "I don't know very many songs... I'm not confident about my singing..." - Tsukasa and Miyuki from ep. 3.

You always sing at least one song all-out, regardless if it means mangling it. "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA!" - Konata from ep. 5.

There are always songs where other people start singing the background vocals, even though it's not necessary since those parts should be pre-recorded on the track. Or you add parts or bits to modify the performance to match the version you hear most often (the studio/album version isn't always the one you are most familiar with, but sometimes that's the version at the karaoke). "Sha-la-la-la! Suteki..." Konata, as back-up singer on Tsukasa's rendering of "Valentine Kiss" for ep. 6.

You occasionally enter a song you'd like to sing and realize that you can't actually do it and have to admit defeat (sometimes due to language issues - Ritchie Valens' "La Bamba", anyone?). "It's in English. Forget that." - Konata from ep. 7.

You have people that try and give it their best, even on songs that have parts that ultimately are out of their range like Kagami. "Can't be helped. It's really high." - Kagami from ep. 10.

Kagami is the character in the karaoke that I identify most with. She's a good singer but has trouble with certain notes and parts of songs, but it doesn't stop her from trying. I have my Konata moments too, though...
Old 2007-06-13, 06:54   Link #68
Tatsumiko
*Artist

When super heroes have no evil to fight anymore...they run a merchandise store!!!

...I didnt see that comin !!!! XDDD...Finally I get that word "Tsundere"
X3 Kagami-sama!!!

Wonder if they'll show those store heroes again....and I thought that Kona-chan's mom looked more white
Aghhh I want a sequel to the Sha-la-la-la Konata!!! with Tsukasa again!!! ^o^

But finally Miyuki was actually really kawaii this time...Character saved!!
Old 2007-06-13, 07:42   Link #69
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

The following is based on [a.f.k.]'s fansub.

Random Thoughts on Ep10:
  • First of all, I would like to give thanks to Tsukasa for blessing this episode with so many avatarisable Kagami-centric scenes. The past 2-3 episodes has been rather sparse with solo Kagami scenes, and so it was rather saddening for me.
  • After watching the store scene, a few things came to mind.
    • I wonder what would "some" people say if Gainax invited KyoAni, as a company, to animate one of their TT-Gurren Lagann episodes?
    • Seriously. I can't understand for the life of me why some people insist on slamming KyoAni's capabilities in animation quality. The masses like it, their peers like it, the industry like it, etc... Sometimes I get the feeling that they snub it just because they want to be the minority's opinion... Rebel without a cause in other words.
    • On a more light-hearted note, I think my theory of KyoAni having investments in "Blood Diamond" mines gained further credence. No really. Unless you intend to tell me that the other studios are incapable of handling their budget, I think it is more likely that for some reason, KyoAni has a higher budget than normal for their productions. Does anybody know what is the amount of money they spend per episode on average?

That, or KyoAni managed to head-hunt some of the best animators in the region (Japan/Korea) and make them work for peanuts...
  • There was an incredible amount of costume changes in this episode. Enough to normally outfit an entire series even.
  • Doesn't Tsukasa feel left out during the sleepover. She was always in the background while Kagami and Konata bonded with each other.
Cheers.
Old 2007-06-13, 09:09   Link #70
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Tsukasa is as usual, childlike-moe. I swear, she seems to be the loli character in this show. ^^;

Miyuki is as usual, airhead-moe.

And which FMP novel was Kagami reading?

Speaking of Kagami, it's amusing seeing the difference of her reactions between Kona and Tsukasa. When Kona is acting dumb, she gets angry, but if it's Tsukasa (aka cellphone spam), she's firm and stern with her. Interesting for me, really.

And yes, Kona has officially turned her back from the dark side (aka yuri XD)!

The shounen-esque portion was awesomely animated. I didn't quite get the reference, but wow, that's some sweet animation there.

And finding out Kona's mom and dad were childhood friends? SSSQQQUUUEEEEEE!!!! The episode deserves a 10 just for that. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
Does anyone feel about Kagami the same way as I do?

Spoiler:
We're on the same page, my friend. Kagami in pigtails, I see Tohsaka, while her with a headband, I see Akiha. First time I saw it, I was like, holy crap, that's Akiha! Then again, I have always thought that visually speaking, the only difference between Rin and Akiha were their hairstyles. ^^; (As for Tsukasa, first time I saw her, I was heavily reminded of another Aquaplus character: Konomi)

And speaking of tsundere, I'm flabbergasted at afk's use of the word Tsundere this time around (as opposed to the word bipolar which they used last time). Then it hit me... they actually defined the word in the show itself, so I guess no need to dumb it down this time around. While it actually worked great, the inconsistency with the previous episode bothers me a bit, so afk suffers minus points from me this time around. >_>

But Kagami-sama -> Kagami the great = rotfl priceless.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-06-13, 09:27   Link #71
Julius Firefocht

This is the best episode of Lucky Star so far. The Animate scene was just mind-numbingly funny!

And Seki Tomokazu pwns.
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2007-06-13, 11:03   Link #72
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I REALLY LIKED THIS EPISODE!!! Even without the needed "FAN SERVICE".

Gave it a 10 since it featured Kona-chan's mom, dad gets air time, Shiraishi defines Tsundre (it started 2002 - never knew that...) and speaks ALOT more than Akira. (I never knew he had 2 jobs, a very busy man IRL)

Kagami-sama looks like Haruhi when she changed hair accesories with her sister Hi-chan, no wonder Kona-chan gave her the badge LOL

At Kona-chan's house there are PVC, gasha, ero-games and manga overlaod!!! O__O!!!

Akira scratching WHERE?!! O_o;;; Akira Going to see the executive producer from Shiraishi's studio and have dinner?!! O_o

Isn't that guy from the manga shop from AKANE MANIAX?!!! Gou...something?...LOL

Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-13, 11:08   Link #73
Fat Cat Lim

Is Konadad's referring to Fate/Stay Night with his outburst over Tohsaka and Sakura?
Old 2007-06-13, 11:34   Link #74
Ffenix Rising
*Graphic Designer

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
[*]On a more light-hearted note, I think my theory of KyoAni having investments in "Blood Diamond" mines gained further credence. No really. Unless you intend to tell me that the other studios are incapable of handling their budget, I think it is more likely that for some reason, KyoAni has a higher budget than normal for their productions. Does anybody know what is the amount of money they spend per episode on average?

That, or KyoAni managed to head-hunt some of the best animators in the region (Japan/Korea) and make them work for peanuts...
While I like that quirky possibility (about the Blood Diamond thing ;D ), the more likely scenario as to why sometimes Kyoto Animation pull out their wild card (i.e. very good animation) is because they are known in the industry to not overwork their animators. And since they produce only 1 or 2 anime series per year, that probably helps a lot in the quality department. A lot of times, anime studios such as Gonzo spread itself way too thin, and they overshoot their budget after the first few episodes, which results in producing mediocre anime.

(Side note: I'm guessing that Gonzo wants to grow as quick as possible to compete with other major studios such as Madhouse, Studio Ghibli and Production I.G, even though those studios have been producing anime in the past 30-35 years.)

In a nutshell, for a small studio, Kyoto's works have been good because they only focus on 1 or 2 anime series, which in turn producing better quality animation.

Now, I hope ufotable steps up to the plate since Manabi Straight hasn't been very good in the story department. But that's for another time, I guess...

Last edited by Ffenix Rising; 2007-06-13 at 11:53.
Old 2007-06-13, 11:38   Link #75
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
haha...the kagami sama backfire was just awesome XD i just love this type of reverse psychology being used :3 points on kona sticking to it as well XD

tsukasa and her new hobby...well i must say that it is a bit annoying to be constantly texted by someone so close to you...but the way tsukasa does it i dont think i can ever get mad (her reaction when kagami showed up was also priceless )

and for once lucky channel brought some appeal :3 the meaning of tsundere...hmm

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-06-13, 12:03   Link #76
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

It took a while, but Lucky Star is beginning to rank up there as one of Kyo-Ani's best shows, much to the chagrin of certain naysayers.

To start with -

Poor Tsukasa-chan nearly broke her new phone after she got her hands on it (and poor Tamama as well).

First thing Tsukasa-chan does with her mobile is to toy around with SMS texting, slowly, greatly pissing her sister off.

After getting used to it, she begins to spam Kagamin endlessly, even when they're under the same roof. LOL

And Tsukasa's just so kawaii when she's already thinking she's good enough to teach her dad how to text.

Miyuki doesn't appear a lot, but when she does, she just makes people laugh at her air-headed cuteness.

The part with Anime Tencho was so WTF it's actually funny. At first I didn't know about the cameo by Anime Tencho and was already LOLing at it, after learning about it, I rewatched it and LOL'ed even more, again and again.

Way to go, Kona-chan's dad. First thing he thinks of the Hiiragi sisters is them dressed in miko costumes simply because their family opens a shrine.

Like Kona-chan, I too wonder how her mom Kanata ended up with such an otaku dad like Soujirou.

Kona-chan was spot on when she said TV programs (in Japan) are beginning to look just like 2ch. I don't know how to describe it, but I just get that feeling everytime I see these clips on YouTube. Maybe I'm oversimplifying things.

Speaking of which, it's not surprising for Kona-chan to not use too much otaku-lingo when hanging out with her (non-otaku) friends, otherwise they wouldn't be able to understand her properly and she'd be stuck with other otakus instead. It's good to have a change in scenery for a while, in other words, "get a life".

Tsukasa-chan and Kagamin swapping hairdos.

When asked what type of person Kona-chan prefers, first thing that came to my mind was "purple-haired Tsunderekkos".

Finally, KAGAMI-SAMA! ROFLMAO Simply classic. I wonder if we should call her that from now on.

To be honest, I wasn't that looking forward to Lucky Channel this week, but Shiraishi totally saved the day by upstaging Akira-sama, much to her annoyance.

BTW Is their really a need to redefine the term "tsundere" as Shiraishi has suggested?

This deserves no less than a 10/10.
Old 2007-06-13, 12:11   Link #77
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Arguably one of the best episodes sor far *_*
  • Tsukasa with a brand new cell phone. i was expecting some awkward situations with it, but it is beyond i could imagine. unfairly moe ~~
  • Kagami extremely annoyed about how slow Tsukasa was typing balsamic vinager (the return!). i easely understand how she is feeling, i have the same urge sometimes with people a bit hopelessly slow for this kind of things
  • Konata + Yui : a bit weak, but it made me smile how konata realises that yui is really weird cop XD
  • Miyuki and her "concentration" EX skill... well, it was really predictable... so easy to guess... and so delightful concerning her reactions
  • Tsukasa's rampage with her short messages mania. one thing : don't EVER let her know your cell phone number, or prepare to get cluttered within the very first hour
  • ...Sounds like the message noobie became a klutz and cute master XD
  • smell... again? this is what... like the fourth time they are talking about "that" ? but what the hell they are talking about? oO
  • Anime Store. just with this scene, this episode deserves a 10. Seki Tomozaku in his glory (i can easely recognize his signature voice for the "DAAAAAAAA" for "Legendary Girl A Shift". whew ), catchy flawless animation. holy cow, fanservice can be really awesome *___*
  • Konata's Otaku Lair : her room is REALLY familiar to me... not really in a good way if you ask me
  • Konata's dad is pure win.
  • Akiha !!! this is Akiha !! omg !! where is her kurenaisekisyu mode??
  • Kanata is quite peaceful and calm. doesn't really look as lazy as her lovely daughter ^^" (lmao at kagami comment : "she is legal, right?" )
  • Homework time ! konata and tsukasa reactions made me cracked up loudly XD
  • Hi-chan, talking with Kona-chan about Kyo-chan... which turned into Kagami-sama. rofl
  • frankly, when i saw the cat "eyecatch", this was the first time ever i was thinking "not now !!! i want MORE !", until shiraishi raises his voice, and makes his absurd and gold speech about tsundere. Best Lucky Channel Ever. i think the antics about shiraishi and akira switching popularity is the main purpose of the LC, which makes sense why the build up was so slow. things will be really ugly (and delightful ) when shiraishi will dominate LC ^__^
Awesome Episode to say the least.
Old 2007-06-13, 12:32   Link #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
God, the Xenopittan song, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
- Xenopittan and 2ch reference is awesome too.
Are you sure that's a Xenopittan reference, and not a Mojipittan reference? Splitting hairs, I guess.
Old 2007-06-13, 12:39   Link #79
tokoyoko
ruu, yaoi fiend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrzWQ...elated&search=

what a pretty but difficult song... no wonder poor kagamin had trouble with it initially i was looking at tetsuya komuro stuff but i didn't know someone else had actually performed it. whoops.
Old 2007-06-13, 13:00   Link #80
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Shorty again, hopefully with less outrage:

Spoiler:

So it's a 9.0 episode and it gets it. The only Game Penalty was for the Haruhi DVD push. We get it guy's the DVD is in stores and it's Haruhi, save it for the commericals, -1.0. I'm not as impressed by the shonen sequence as others. Sure it was exceptional for Lucky Star, but it was like any average sequence out of a Shin Getter Robo/Mazinkaizer OVA. In fact I could head on over to Kotetsushin Jeeg and get just about the same level of hot blooded animation, only on a larger scale throughout the episode. For a non-super robot fan it must have been a mind blowing experience I guess. The scene about TV being like 2channel in Japan now is amusing too. I wonder if Japanese TV is hitting the Reality TV craze yet. Also the nicknames the Japanese come up with for idols and such have been bothering me for a long time. Glad to see they riffed on that and Kagami basically said "Just call me by my name if you can't come up with anything interesting". Finally is Kadokawa/Kyoto Animation going to create a new term with there mass influence on the Otaku fanbase based on a poll. I probably won't be using it as it's likely to be something really goofy, but, well as soon as it's released... I don't even want to think about it.

Kyoto Animation, Manufacturing Memes since 2006.

Anyway, 9-1.0+0.5+0.5+0.5=9.5, rounding down for the Nine Out of Ten. I'm rounding down on the personal tilt because I didn't really like the whole Kadokawa ad feel to this episode (and because I botched the rating and need to save face since I couldn't go back and fix the rating vote even if I wanted to). Not the best Lucky Star, but probably second best. Certainly not the best anime episode of all time. Good showing though.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-06-13 at 14:21.
Closed Thread