AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-09-07, 17:25   Link #61
-Kh-
ポルカ

Why is there some people using the term afraid so loosely here?

What is it to be afraid from watching an anime? Is it like proper 'fear' of having your opinions changed through a show? Or that they will end up liking/disliking something they previously didn't?

I do understand people not wanting to see horror animes, or too violent ones, or e/h ones tho.
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 18:30   Link #62
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary
AFRAID

* having feelings of aversion or unwillingness
o afraid of hard work
o afraid to show emotion

* feeling worry or concern or insecurity
o She was afraid that I might be embarrassed
o terribly afraid of offending someone
o I am afraid we have witnessed only the first phase of the conflict

* filled with regret or concern; used often to soften an unpleasant statement
o I'm afraid I won't be able to come
o he was afraid he would have to let her go
o I'm afraid you're wrong

* filled with fear or apprehension
o afraid even to turn his head
o suddenly looked afraid
o afraid for his life
o afraid of snakes
o afraid to ask questions
That said, I'm still afraid to watch 5cm per second by Makoto Shinkai. Somehow I picture myself crying all night. I know it will happen
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 19:12   Link #63
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
i'm sort of attracted to sad and disturbing shows, call it mental/emotional masochism i can't get into them anytime though i have to prepare my mind so i don't crazy
I'm sure some people are like that as well so you aren't alone
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kh- View Post
Why is there some people using the term afraid so loosely here?
I does...I personally would have rephrased it to "what kind of animes (or series) do people avoid" as being afraid is something different unless you actually are if the series is horror or mind scarring.

As for me, I'm fearless when it comes to watching anime. Tearjerkers, gore, or even yaoi (well, if I feel like it).

Only thing I am afraid of is boredom~ series that come across boring to me usually gets dropped.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 03:52   Link #64
MyGoddess
Tessa-sama

Send a message via MSN to MyGoddess
I don't know if shows which one has already watched belong here but I'm afraid to watch Elfen Lied again.

I don't want to fall into depression again.
MyGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 05:28   Link #65
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuugu-chan View Post
I'm afraid to watch Narutaru..It sounds so horribly scary,and I almost watched an amv of it....

Almost,I watched 1 scene of the amv,and it was a strangling scene....From what wikipedia said,and comments on youtube videos about it,it sounds

....Really scary,much more scarier then Elfen Lied and Higurashi....Wait,Higurashi wasn't scary....So,it's scarier then Elfen Lied,which wasn't really scary,just bloody.

Totally agree with Ryuugu-chan. I was perfectly fine watching Elfen Lied (long time ago already) and just finishing Higurashi I feel the same, fine. But Narutaru... Oh God! I stand it for 4 episodes if I remember correctly, but it was really hard to go even this far >_>'. This anime is insane and not in the good way. I just figure out with this anim that I didn't like watching children been insane, ripped appart and so on especially when everything is wrape in a misleading cheerful opening and ending.
That was just too weird. >_<"

That's why now I am clearly afraid to watch anything by Kitou Mohiro, for example Bokurano.
Old 2008-09-09, 17:46   Link #66
-Kh-
ポルカ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
I does...I personally would have rephrased it to "what kind of animes (or series) do people avoid" as being afraid is something different unless you actually are if the series is horror or mind scarring.

Agreed, 'avoid' sounds much more appropiate.
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 03:52   Link #67
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
I pretty much watch everything. Including shitty, gory animes like MD Geist and Violent Jack. However, I started avoiding anything labeled as yaoi or shonen-ai. It's not because of the overtone of the anime, but in general those anime aren't that good to watch. There are some exceptions like Loveless and Antique Bakery, but the last one that I watched (Gakuen Heaven) turned out to be a complete waste of time IMO (sorry if my comment offends Gakuen Heaven fans).
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 12:57   Link #68
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
Totally agree with Ryuugu-chan. I was perfectly fine watching Elfen Lied (long time ago already) and just finishing Higurashi I feel the same, fine. But Narutaru... Oh God! I stand it for 4 episodes if I remember correctly, but it was really hard to go even this far >_>'. This anime is insane and not in the good way. I just figure out with this anim that I didn't like watching children been insane, ripped appart and so on especially when everything is wrape in a misleading cheerful opening and ending.
That was just too weird. >_<"

That's why now I am clearly afraid to watch anything by Kitou Mohiro, for example Bokurano.
Up to this day, i still find it puzzling what people find scary or disturbing in Narutaru. I admit i didn't finish it, but that is because by episode 6 i was bored out of my sanity from waiting for something to finally happen that would justify all things i had heard about it ... yet all i got out of it by the time 6th episode rolled around was boredom and disappointment in spades.

I don't know what i was expecting given the show's reputation, but it certainly wasn't a flying starfish pokemon doing relatively nothing for the better part, wrapped in a dull atmosphere and uninspiring mood. I just ... don't see anything remotely disturbing, let alone interesting in the show Perhaps i should have watched more, but at the time i had filled my boredom meter ... and given my impressions that far, discarded it as waste of time. Sorry to all the Narutaru fans, but ... the show simply failed to click with me.

As far as Bokurano goes, that was a quite good show. It did nicely in exploring human emotions and despair, and anyone in need of some angst should give that twisted show a go
Old 2008-09-10, 14:37   Link #69
Jessi
Grumpyface.

Send a message via AIM to Jessi
Kids these days are wusses. =D

Watch Elfen Lied and Death Note. Disturbing artwork and psychotic characters are fun. And different, for once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
That said, I'm still afraid to watch 5cm per second by Makoto Shinkai. Somehow I picture myself crying all night. I know it will happen
It's not that depressing, not as much as the trailers make it seem. It was actually a REALLY boring "movie" in my opinion. It just had amazing animation.
The story was... eh. First anime to make me fall asleep after 25 minutes... =/

And all I remember about Narutaru was that it had an uber catchy opening song.
Jessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 15:18   Link #70
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Up to this day, i still find it puzzling what people find scary or disturbing in Narutaru. I admit i didn't finish it, but that is because by episode 6 i was bored out of my sanity from waiting for something to finally happen that would justify all things i had heard about it ... yet all i got out of it by the time 6th episode rolled around was boredom and disappointment in spades.

I don't know what i was expecting given the show's reputation, but it certainly wasn't a flying starfish pokemon doing relatively nothing for the better part, wrapped in a dull atmosphere and uninspiring mood. I just ... don't see anything remotely disturbing, let alone interesting in the show Perhaps i should have watched more, but at the time i had filled my boredom meter ... and given my impressions that far, discarded it as waste of time. Sorry to all the Narutaru fans, but ... the show simply failed to click with me.
I somehow managed to crawl my way through that series but I still don't get the weird reputation it gets. The disturbing stuff (I suppose) happens near the end eps (9-13?) so I guess you missed out a little by stopping at ep 6. Though with that said I didn't find anything that disturbing but it will make little kids run off and based on personal preferences they might even like it (*shivers*). Disturbing/scary for me would be something like Blue Gender...ah, good memories
Quote:
As far as Bokurano goes, that was a quite good show. It did nicely in exploring human emotions and despair, and anyone in need of some angst should give that twisted show a go
I hope you've finished that series after forcing it on me so much >.>

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 14:00   Link #71
GuavaNectar
Hikikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPIGWANG View Post
It feels like those things are potential traps that could send me on a week long depression, and in a bad way.
Yeah.

Currently, I was suggested '5 Centimeters per second. Looks really good and I really want to watch it, but I know I'm gunna cry and be an emotional mess. Lol.
GuavaNectar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 16:45   Link #72
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Up to this day, i still find it puzzling what people find scary or disturbing in Narutaru.
A lot of Narutaru's "rep" comes from a heavily censored but still very disturbing scene in the anime (trust me it's rather...graphic in the manga), where one of the bully girls ends up having something done to her in an act of revenge. Other than that, it is pretty tame, just lots of blood and mangled body parts but nothing you haven't seen in stuff like say...Elfen Lied.

And of course since the entire story revolves around children who are questionably 12 years old at best, so the duality of the age of the characters and the adult content can make people a little squeamish/nervous.
Old 2009-03-16, 19:03   Link #73
LeoXiao
思想工作

I have a weird dislike of rewatching almost any anime I've seen before, and maybe this has to do with the fact that over the last year, I've developed this semi-obsession with looking for new anime all the time. However strangely enough I have no problem rewatching anything if someone else is watching it with me.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 10:26   Link #74
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Agreed. I'm scared to watch 5cm/sec because I've seen Voices of a Star and the Promised Place, and I just know what to expect...

Also, like so many others, I still haven't watched Grave of the Fireflies, because I value not having suicidal depression.

Same for AIR... I've heard about it, so I'm waiting to watch it until I'm SUPER happy and need to be knocked down a peg or two.

Ciao!
KitsuneNineTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 20:33   Link #75
~ Lawliet ~

Maker of the thread must read NHK suppose you already have not by now.
Anyway am not always really fast to watch or read some but depends on many factors.
~ Lawliet ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 11:42   Link #76
Eva_127

There are a few that I'm just not into, but I've never really been afraid to watch a series.
Eva_127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 13:46   Link #77
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Does "afraid of getting bored" count? If yes, then I'm afraid of watching all those shonen series that go on and on ad infinitum. My friend forced me to sit through 60 episodes of Bleach with her, including every single second of the fight scenes ("okay... let's see who wins and move on to the next episode"... "no! This is the whole point of watching Bleach!").

Unmitigated torture; the memory still makes me tremble with fear. I hear that Prince of Tennis is a million times worse.
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 13:53   Link #78
christine_cute
A total anime freak^^

i am generally afraid to watch those anime series that have a sad or unexpected ending because then i think that there was no use watching it.......it was just a waste of time.....
christine_cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 16:19   Link #79
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPIGWANG View Post
How many of you have looked at an anime and say: "no, I don't really want to watch this" and not for technical reasons on whether the anime is good or bad.

Right now I'm staring at a number of anime (Lain and so on), manga (NHK), games (Narcissu) and don't know if I want to start on them. It feels like those things are potential traps that could send me on a week long depression, and in a bad way.

I remember that Grave of the Firefly sat on my harddrive for a good 6 month before I watched it.

Has anyone felt the same around here? Something that simply can't be watched not because it is bad but because it is too good to maintain emotional detachment and not get dragged into hell?
you gotta watch out for grave of the fire flys.

i was depressed for a week after watching it.

after i got done i went outside and was smoking a cigarette in my driveway. i looked over and could see my little sister standing there looking at me (shes not really here anymore).
fish eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 17:22   Link #80
Sonae
A l i c e
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
It's hard to watch Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. It's not bad, it's fucking scary. But I watch it intermittently, I guess.
Why do people say Higurashi is scary/creepy? It's not at all! Either I'm not very jumpy (Which I am quite jumpy) or everyone else is!

Well, I heard that Ghost hunt was a scary anime that could scare the shit out of you. So I was afraid to watch it for a while but then I finally marathoned it, got to the end, and felt so stupid. I also laughed at the ridiculousness of it all. It didn't scare me at all.

And for Grave of the Fireflies, we watched that at my school in grade six.

But there's also the fact I love animes that can make me cry. So there's not many I'm afraid to watch. Only the scary ones. And Higurashi is not scary.
Sonae is offline   Reply With Quote