AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 23
10 out of 10 : Near Perfect... 26 23.85%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 21 19.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 24 22.02%
7 out of 10 : Good... 18 16.51%
6 out of 10 : Average... 11 10.09%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 1 0.92%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 3 2.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 2 1.83%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 3 2.75%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-12-08, 15:09   Link #21
Prologue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Next one is final episode right?
I thought there was 25.

Anywho, does kirito and sugu get together in the novels? I get the impression from ep 22 and 23, that he's actually interested in sugu.
Prologue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 15:11   Link #22
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Next one is final episode right?
No, episode 25 is the final episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prologue View Post
Anywho, does kirito and sugu get together in the novels? I get the impression from ep 22 and 23, that he's actually interested in sugu.
No, they don't.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 15:14   Link #23
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Nah, aggro was a known concept. Aggroing all the monsters in their path is exactly what Kirito did when they were dashing out of the dungeon a few episodes ago. It's just that outside the dome, either healing doesn't draw aggro, or it doesn't do so nearly so easily.
Target acquisition is there, but aggro doesn't seem to be that: Since Suguha was surprised they changed targets, it basically mean that ever since she played, mobs don't change target at all.

Hence why I felt aggro was basically not a known concept until now (as in, aggro reflects the tendency of which target an NPC will select, based on hate/threat score dealt by players actions, such like special moves, healing etc).
Old 2012-12-08, 15:19   Link #24
Entravity

Decent fight scenes but reused some parts a bit. Didn't like the dialogue at all.
Old 2012-12-08, 15:20   Link #25
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

That was meh. Not a whole lot to say about it really except that for a supposed "war" scene it could've been much better. Not sure why Kirito didn't even use that final technique of his in the first place even if it was kind of cool.

Shame Recon's self-destruct went to waste too. He seemed very determined to show Lyfa he was a capable guy.

Also, it's really the first time I noticed it, but this show's soundtrack is way too over-exaggerated. It doesn't deserve this level of epic feel really. Not really bad music either (choirs are amazing) but I feel it's been wasted.

Just two episodes left. I'm probably more relieved than disappointed about that though.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2012-12-08 at 18:43.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 15:22   Link #26
azenable
President of TecoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haru-kun View Post
This episode was kind of a disappointment, it was nothing like I have imagined. Instead of a good fighting scene --or at least a good usage of kirito's dual blade, all we got was a simple thrust with rocket launching effect from Kirito. Meh. Well on the bright side, I pretty much enjoyed Recon's screen time and the entry of the Dragons.

EDIT: Where the hell did the super anxious and desperate Kirito went to!?
Don't worry, there are more fight scene coming up.

if felt like I was watching Gundam instead of SOA. and Krito face felt like SSJ4 Son Goku
azenable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 15:24   Link #27
Gravitas Free Zone

The reconciliation felt a bit too easy considering how Kirito's crushed his sis—er, cousin's heart twice now, but <jackbauer>THERE'S NO TIME!</jackbauer>.

I agree with Klashikari on the tree raid: It felt turn-based, and unfortunately, given the scale of the room, just looked like a series of little duels occuring in isolation. If there had been a way to work in a decorative element on the walls to indicate height, they should have done it.

Also, the lack of archers and other projectiles: Could have also helped the action if the Sylph/Cait Sith ranged attacks had shown up in time to counteract what would have been a wall of arrows. Instead, they just shot at undefined off-screen targets.

Kirito's drill piercing the heavens ended up looking cheesy.

My POV is coming from anime-only, but I have to critique the hand I'm dealt. The scene looked like what it looked like.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 15:26   Link #28
Clarste
Human

Seemed like a half-hearted effort. Animation wasn't too great for what presumably was the climactic battle, and the duel in the beginning was not exactly too short but wasted a lot of its limited time showing things that weren't visually interesting like flying around for ultimately no reason. The end of the big battle was also one of the silliest things ever (two swords without actually using two swords in any relevant way!).

Overall, the fact that they reused animation from the same episode basically symbolizes the entire episode. They just really didn't care very much about this one.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 15:28   Link #29
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Epic episode . But more than that the cliff hanger . For some reason i like this arc better than previous. Kinda by a lot.

can't wait for the next two episodes. Hope they were dual episodes . Might as well wait to watch the two last episodes at the same time maybe .
Old 2012-12-08, 15:55   Link #30
Awrya
U mad?

Recon got friend-zoned, R.I.P.

While watching this episode, I thought that no wonder the races couldn't clear the World Tree, there were simply too many guardians. The developers of the quest probably liked zerg rush tactics more than one single invincible boss.

Ok, he overlays his two swords and activates a rainbow-coloured skill, when sword skills do not exist in ALO and he didn't cast any magic, did I see it correctly?
I do not understand.
Old 2012-12-08, 15:59   Link #31
nfsac

Yeah, Lyfa is so hot, big boobs
But 25 is a good marking. Though would be cooler if it was 25 episodes of SAO.
I know the author did volume 1 whole thing and sent it for publishing attempt, but we all fell SAO had so much potential left. I wanted to see the 100th floor the Ruby Palace
nfsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 16:01   Link #32
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Recon got friend-zoned, R.I.P.

While watching this episode, I thought that no wonder the races couldn't clear the World Tree, there were simply too many guardians. The developers of the quest probably liked zerg rush tactics more than one single invincible boss.

Ok, he overlays his two swords and activates a rainbow coloured skill, where sword skills do not exist in ALO and he didn't cast any magic, did I see it correctly?
I do not understand.
Maybe it was done just for the sake of animation or maybe something similar to the dual blade skill he learned earlier in the series (Alo) version .

I am guessing if it's explained later it might be the latter.
Old 2012-12-08, 16:12   Link #33
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
Maybe it was done just for the sake of animation or maybe something similar to the dual blade skill he learned earlier in the series (Alo) version .

I am guessing if it's explained later it might be the latter.
Actually it's just the anime staff taking a bit of artistic license, probably as you say for the sake of animation. In the light novel he was just slashing in front him really quickly.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 16:21   Link #34
Jarppa

I hope they announce new season soon. Atleast poor sales wont be excuse
Jarppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 16:39   Link #35
Vsin
Aldracity

Wow, that fell flat on its face. The first half wasn't awful. The justifications I wish were in the last Ep are put pre-OP, and the emotional stuff is at least to the letter. But the fight scenes were borderline painful. The "duel" was all of TWO attacks. Even the part where they throw away their respective swords was rather meh since the novel implies that both of them were thinking the exact same thing and acted at the same time, whereas the Anime implies that Kirito responded to Lyfa's actions. And really, a flipping CHARGE attack for dual blades? I would've been happier with him flailing around maniacally while surrounded by light effects.

Recon felt far more meaningful in the novels. Here, he kinda just shows up and explodes for some reason. I blame that on the inevitable dialogue trimming that needs to be done for Anime adaptations.

The only point I'm happy about is how the wall of guardians was portrayed. Far more "insurmountable odds"-like than last EP.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 16:56   Link #36
ookamigirl

Kirito thinking about his life.
The whole thing with Sugu was an interesting turn of events.
Lots of flashbacks too.
Kirito vs Sugu. That was interesting.
Giving the tower another shot with some reinforcements was nice to watch.
Founding out that he went where no player was meant to go was interesting.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 17:01   Link #37
HandofFate

I enjoyed kirito's flashback to young sugu and young kirito.
they went back to gameworld faster than I expected.

Was annoyed when Recon showed up again, he's such a dork. Kirito blindly killing the endless mobs was really boring.

Laughed when Recon kamikaze'd himself for nothing when the slyph and cait sith army showed up.

Kiritos atk when he placed leafa's and his sword on top of eachother was kind of weird.

Key card coming into play at the end was expected.
Old 2012-12-08, 17:10   Link #38
AyuAyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prologue View Post
have to agree, Kirito said something along the lines: "when Asuna is awake I will probably going for you, Sugu, because than i can start real life again" (around min 10). what a jerk.

really, I'm so diasappointed with this second half, this whole "the game is as importend as saving my girlfriend from being violated in real life"-stuff was just ridiculous.

and Sugu is so unlikeable. her confession has to be taken 100% seroiusly, but this poor Recon guy can be laughed at. hypocritical.

KuroFai is Canon! Accept it!
AyuAyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 17:15   Link #39
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyuAyu View Post
have to agree, Kirito said something along the lines: "when Asuna is awake I will probably going for you, Sugu, because than i can start real life again" (around min 10). what a jerk.

really, I'm so diasappointed with this second half, this whole "the game is as importend as saving my girlfriend from being violated in real life"-stuff was just ridiculous.

and Sugu is so unlikeable. her confession has to be taken 100% seroiusly, but this poor Recon guy can be laughed at. hypocritical.
Um... I think you're completely misinterpreting that line.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 17:27   Link #40
relentlessflame

*Administrator

The thing I liked most about this episode was the "Fairy Dance". To me, this really felt like the climax of the story arc in terms of what it has been building-up to emotionally and symbolically, and now from this point forward is really the denouement. Although everything isn't resolved, they're getting closer to an understanding, and their guilt for each of their parts in the whole misunderstanding (and they way they both decided to give up the dual at the same time) shows that they're not so far apart in the end. Indeed, the title of "bonds" was very appropriate, because that's really what this episode was all about. The "Fairy Dance" was a hug between siblings who might have been lovers in a different life, and were able to finally start the reconciliation process through a game. It's a pretty nice message on the whole.

Like I said, the rest was denouement to me. We knew Kazuto/Kirito would find a way to break through the hordes somehow, and make his way to the top (and use the special key), because therein lies his unfinished business. The revelation that it actually was impossible for regular players to get to the top of the tree (even if they made it through the hordes) is not surprising at all. The world tree quest was always a lie.

Recon's wasted self-sacrifice is sort of a sad but accurate portrayal of his character on the whole, but he did his job in the sense of showing Suguha that there are other people in the world that care for her as well... even if he sadly has no chance. I guess never giving up is his good quality?

Anyway, so begins the mad dash for the finish line so that "SAO" can truly end (both in the show, and for us as viewers). I like the way everything has come together on the whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyuAyu View Post
Yeah, as was said, I think you've misinterpreted this line. That doesn't mean that he's going to see Suguha as a romantic interest once he frees Asuna by any means. It means that, once he finally breaks out of the game, he can start the reconciliation process with her for real now that everything has been laid bare and they can start to put the past behind them. He's not being either a jerk or a player here, just explaining what he has to do first.