AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-07-02, 11:16   Link #2241
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Game. Set. Match,

Finally finished Episode 4 this night of July 2, 2009. Will finish the final two tea parties tomorrow.
Actually, I'd recommend at least doing the 1st tea party. It's a better finish to the Episode.
Freelii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 11:18   Link #2242
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

yes, this is not like in the case of other episodes, the Ep4 Tea party is necessary to fully understand the ending of this Episode. and then you'll need to read the secret tea party to avoid getting the wrong idea about the tea party...

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 11:19   Link #2243
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'll also again state that the context suggests that the island where the shrine is is not connected to Rokkenjima and, as Jan-Poo says, needs a boat to get too.

For Shannon's visit, again the context suggests she was there before October 1986 given the likelihood that the Okinawa trip and the happy events took place after she broke it.

As for Eva, again it comes down to accessing the shrine. Say perhaps that the gold might really be in that shrine, hell it's possible honestly, but again there would be no way she could get there. A small boat like the one Shannon used would be ripped to shreds. As someone living in Asia, I can say without a doubt that Pacific typhoons are not to be scoffed at.

Edit - It's almost 1am here and I have lectures tomorrow lol. The end of Episode 4 will be fresh in my mind anyway. I mean, considering what the heck Ange ended up as a major mindfuck, I don't think I'll be missing any details.

Also, I have 250kb worth of notebad text for my notes as it stands.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 11:21   Link #2244
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Didn't someone say in the ep3 thread that "the two" refers to two persons in the original text? That would potentially defeat the notion that it's got anything to do with writing itself.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 11:24   Link #2245
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Yeah it's impossible that the golden land is on that reef, unless you imagine that the underground passage connects to it.
According to Kawabata it was impossible to use a boat in such condition, using a small boat or swimming would have been a suicide, also Eva and Rosa would have come back completely soaked if they swam, and certainly I don't think there were not one but two boats for them to take a trip.

@Renall: There's the kanji of "person" there, but the word itself doesn't necessarily involves human beings only. This has been explained by Klashikari here: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=82557

Also this is riddle, and riddles use metaphors.

Old 2009-07-02, 11:32   Link #2246
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Well I'm not sure, but shore is the third definition on my Perapera-kun, and according to the dictionary I sometimes use:
Quote:

(kana):
1: (Archaism) surrounding area;
2: shore (of the sea); (Suffix)
3: suffix used as a rough indicator of location, direction, time, etc.
(By the way, why are we debating when and how did Shannon broke that relic on the rock? It isn't really related. It's clear in the anime that the rock where the relic is, is close to the main island.)
Old 2009-07-02, 11:33   Link #2247
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Underground passages...they explain everything. Like trap x and small bombs xDD

But.. ehm did anyone here come up for a reason for Shannon to go the shrine anyway? It's not like Beatrice could have told her to do so. So for me the question isn't how or when...but why
Old 2009-07-02, 11:44   Link #2248
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Well I'm not sure, but shore is the third definition on my Perapera-kun, and according to the dictionary I sometimes use:
however it says "suffix", meaning that you can't use it alone but after another kanji.

@kitsu

Well unless you claim that the magic scenes are completely false then probably the okinawa trip happened on summer of 1986.

In the case of the torii it's been specifically stated it disappeared on the summer of 1986, supposedly after being hit by a thunder.

As to why she broke the glass, if she really did so, it might have been the real Beatrice that told her to do so, but then we need to understand why Beatrice asked her to do so.

Old 2009-07-02, 11:53   Link #2249
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Well...now that I replayed her trip to the shrine. It really bothers me now, since it was written in her POV and she shouted Beatrice's name and how she should reward her now after she kept their promise. So she did it because she was ordered by Beatrice. But I don't believe in beatrice, so there must be a real beatrice that promised her something. But what? And why should thaat real Beatrice even want her to do so. And with what should she be rewarded for breaking a mirror that would help her becoming "human".

By the way, I'm really unsure about the time in Episode 2, since in the chapter register doesn't show a time and stuff. ALso I think that stuff happened at least a year before the game or so. Because Jessica mentions in Episode 3 that they started dating a year or so ago. Which adds to Shannon mentioning that she was still in middle school the time Jessica suggests them going out. Also proposing after half a year or so seems a little bit..ehm fast?
Old 2009-07-02, 11:56   Link #2250
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
Well...now that I replayed her trip to the shrine. It really bothers me now, since it was written in her POV and she shouted Beatrice's name and how she should reward her now after she kept their promise. So she did it because she was ordered by Beatrice. But I don't believe in beatrice, so there must be a real beatrice that promised her something. But what? And why should thaat real Beatrice even want her to do so. And with what should she be rewarded for breaking a mirror that would help her becoming "human".

By the way, I'm really unsure about the time in Episode 2, since in the chapter register doesn't show a time and stuff. ALso I think that stuff happened at least a year before the game or so. Because Jessica mentions in Episode 3 that they started dating a year or so ago. Which adds to Shannon mentioning that she was still in middle school the time Jessica suggests them going out. Also proposing after half a year or so seems a little bit..ehm fast?
The 'reward' was George's love, so Shannon could have easily believed that Beatrice could give her love if she broke the mirror since it was obvious that the mirror was put to ward against spirits and evil.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 11:58   Link #2251
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

well the I said the okinawa trip happened on 1986 and the torii disappeared on summer 1986, I've never said when the mirror was broken and when George started dating Shannon.

I could be wrong on the okinawa trip but not on the torii.

Old 2009-07-02, 12:00   Link #2252
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
well the I said the okinawa trip happened on 1986 and the torii disappeared on summer 1986, I've never said when the mirror was broken and when George started dating Shannon.

I could be wrong on the okinawa trip but not on the torii.
I'm pretty sure the Okinawa trip was in 1986. In EP 2 when the prologue episodes between Shannon/George and Kanon/Jessica were ending George told Shannon he was going to give her an engagement ring at the upcoming conference.
Old 2009-07-02, 12:01   Link #2253
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Yeah that's pretty much why I reached this conclusion.

Old 2009-07-02, 12:02   Link #2254
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Then the trip wasn't in summer since the Jessicaxkannon thing was in fall, as stated by Jessica

But me doesn't like the idea of Shannon really believing she would gain George's love for it and what would gain the real Beatrice from breaking a mirror
Old 2009-07-02, 12:05   Link #2255
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Wait? Why you say so? It matches actually.

When Shannon got back from the trip Jessica and Shannon are seen talking and then Jessica says how she's jealous. Then Shannon enforces Jessica to go out with Kanon. All of this must have happened before the school festival, because soon after that Kanon practically rejected Jessica.

Old 2009-07-02, 12:08   Link #2256
Marion
The Great Dine

Shannon mentions at the start of the Jessica/Kanon part, during a flashback, that she was teasing Jessica about not having a boyfriend as revenge for the teasing she got about George. Plus at the end of the Jessica/Kanon part Beatrice shows up and Kanon breaks the butterfly brooch, which Beatrice gave to Shannon after she broke the mirror.
Old 2009-07-02, 12:15   Link #2257
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Thanks you, two

I seem to confused a few scenes ^^
Old 2009-07-02, 12:19   Link #2258
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Actually I wonder... when the school cultural festival is usually held in Japan?

Old 2009-07-02, 12:20   Link #2259
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Are you saying the scene was altered (maybe just a little bit)? Or why do you wonder
Old 2009-07-02, 12:43   Link #2260
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

No it's like, I've seen tons of cultural festivals in tons of different anime and I just realized I don't know when they are usually done.

The current discussion would make me think that they happen in the last days of September. But I wonder if it's right