AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-13, 00:22   Link #201
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Yeah, to me the technical way to say it fits her more than the simple "nowadays" way. Guess this was the translator at work here.

Kind of makes me wonder though, lately I have been seeing translators choose odd sets of words, which at times changes a line very drastically. Guess the days of creative literal translations are few and far in-between.

I wonder though how long will they keep adding the "IQ of 180" on Suzu, sure she doesn't have much else to boast about but, .... we know already, take it easy on the poor girl
A good command of the target language and a flair for fitting the translation to the character's personality is an invaluable tool for a translator (or their editor, etc).
Old 2010-07-13, 01:14   Link #202
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
A good command of the target language and a flair for fitting the translation to the character's personality is an invaluable tool for a translator (or their editor, etc).
Quite true. When I was a translator, I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones to have had a Japanese person as my superior, as I got to see a real literal translation to compare with my version of the translation. My favorite beef with translations nowadays is when they mix up "sea" with "beach" in the wrong occasion (I had to drill that into my editors' brains )

But, I can't really give a good opinion for Yakuindomo, I don't rely on the subs and instead rely on my knowledge of the language, so I guess I'll be standing on the wayside when it comes to which group is doing this series a favor
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 01:48   Link #203
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Quite true. When I was a translator, I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones to have had a Japanese person as my superior, as I got to see a real literal translation to compare with my version of the translation. My favorite beef with translations nowadays is when they mix up "sea" with "beach" in the wrong occasion (I had to drill that into my editors' brains )

But, I can't really give a good opinion for Yakuindomo, I don't rely on the subs and instead rely on my knowledge of the language, so I guess I'll be standing on the wayside when it comes to which group is doing this series a favor
Well... usually, it ends up with me saying, "ehhhhh?" and rerolling the scene multiple times to either catch the dialog nuance or read the writing. Then if its a series I care about and plan to show to others, sometimes out comes the sub edit tools.
Old 2010-07-13, 03:17   Link #204
Estaron
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
"To remedy this issue of low births, Our student council must act to our best. When get older and have sex, Cum shots must always be inside!"

OMFG i was actually dinner when i was watching episode 2 and nearly chock to death on asparagus.

Now i dont know if that was literal translation but it had me on floor. Could she be anymore blunt
Oops that line... lol

I was hoping it to be edited to something before release... lol

"When you engage in sexual activities in the future, you shall always ask for creampies!"

Oh yeah... the anime seems to add much more censorship to the sex dialogues...
Estaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 08:05   Link #205
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

but aint it better for the fansubs to have a mroe literal translation compared to censored translation since it is seriously made for adults.or of adult mind
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 08:46   Link #206
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estaron View Post
Oops that line... lol

I was hoping it to be edited to something before release... lol

"When you engage in sexual activities in the future, you shall always ask for creampies!"

Oh yeah... the anime seems to add much more censorship to the sex dialogues...
The subtitle line at that point is just written awkwardly (one of my tricks is to say lines out loud to see if they sound unnatural or natural). As a edit/qc, I would have tweaked it a bit. But yeah, its fun to "warp translate" when playing with the translation.

But for awkward, yeah, half of what Shino says comes out socially awkwardly because that's just the way she is - but there's a difference between coarseness and bluntness.

I find that anime adaptations sometimes mute the bluntness of the original manga lines (if that's what you're meaning by the last sentence). Subtitles should illuminate the content of the anime dialog though and ideally connect to the speaker's style of grammar and formality.
Old 2010-07-13, 08:59   Link #207
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

I liked how one of the sub groups was cutting out vowels of the censored words; that seemed clever to me.
Old 2010-07-13, 09:01   Link #208
Wrath88
Kissing...

I'd prefer the literal one too. This one is meant for dirty jokes.
Old 2010-07-13, 10:35   Link #209
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
You know i thought Shino's attitude towards Tsuda was just a product of her personality. But the more i look at some of her actions maybe there really is some kind of other than classmate fellow student council member interest going on. It seems kind subtle and im not truly convienced yet. Im very interested to see how they interact over the next couple of episodes. I loved the Tsuda carrying her princess style part in episode 2 and he knew it was coming
Old 2010-07-13, 10:48   Link #210
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
As yet another example of the worthlessness of labels, this is a 'shounen' published 4-koma where I would have guessed a 'seinen' (like the 4-koma strip Working!! is).
Weekly Shonen Magazine tends to aim at an older demographic than say Weekly Shonen Jump. Quite a few titles are borderline Seinen...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 10:50   Link #211
CWW
Lurker

Somehow I find it amusing that one sub group hears 'Googling' and 'Wikiing' and the other sub group 'I get scared' and 'or avoid' in the same part of the ED.

Not sure which sub group I prefer at this point though. There are, like, four of them.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 11:22   Link #212
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Songs can be amazingly difficult to tease lyrics out of -- usually they aren't "right" til the CD jackets are available (if the fansubbers bother to go back and fix it).

I remember a similar pack of wildly different guesses from the various fansubs for Lucky*Star's OP. Yeah, collecting all four for now til a few episodes build up and then I'll start reducing the pack.
Old 2010-07-13, 11:59   Link #213
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Songs can be amazingly difficult to tease lyrics out of -- usually they aren't "right" til the CD jackets are available (if the fansubbers bother to go back and fix it).

I remember a similar pack of wildly different guesses from the various fansubs for Lucky*Star's OP. Yeah, collecting all four for now til a few episodes build up and then I'll start reducing the pack.
Yeah, but if the Lucky Star OP were sung in Minoan Linear A, it could only make it more intelligible... Talk about a confusing mess...
Old 2010-07-13, 21:36   Link #214
Estaron
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Somehow I find it amusing that one sub group hears 'Googling' and 'Wikiing' and the other sub group 'I get scared' and 'or avoid' in the same part of the ED.

Not sure which sub group I prefer at this point though. There are, like, four of them.
I'm pretty sure we got the song wrong... but oh well...
Estaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 21:47   Link #215
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

All right, a confession Kaoru: I didn't hate the second episode. I still find the humor a bit disjointed, but the graphic sex and PMS jokes didn't feel so forced (or frequent). And the characters seemed a bit more likable.

I know this is not derivative of Seitokai no Ichizon. I know the manga has been out there longer. But I can't help comparing - I mean, most of the series takes place in the council room around a table. It's an all-girl council with one of the girls a chibi who's oversensitive about it. There are obvious differences - the guy is the normal one here and the girls the perverts. It's 4-koma, so the humor is machine-gun style rather than character-driven. But still - in my mind, I can't help but thinking of the one when watching the other. It's totally unfair, I'm the first to admit - but it's still the lens through which I see this show.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 05:46   Link #216
CWW
Lurker

SnI is a parody. SYD is a case study of emancipation of women in Japanese society (or a dirty four panel comic I'm not sure).

Case in point the student council members in SnI are selected by a popularity contest. Ken crams to top the class so he can realize his dream: his very own harem. In SYD, Tsuda involuntarily joins the student council for one purpose: to act as the straight man, a comic foil.

Tsuda does the facepalming for me while I have to do the facepalming in SnI. Clearly a revolution in gag comedy.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 04:51   Link #217
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I actually rather like the disjointed feel of the comedy. Sometimes I'd rather take comedy in small doses rather than it being based upon the episode's theme.

This show reminds me of Hyakko and Seitokai no Ichizon quite a bit. Especially the whole 'harem' kind of feel of the 'other' Seitokai show.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 00:51   Link #218
cyshdor

I can't help but get a sense of deja vu when I hear the ED. Might anyone recall if there is an English song somewhere that sort of follows the style/melody/theme of the ED?
cyshdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 04:09   Link #219
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Well, angela is you know... angela.

Her sense of drama in her songs is very unique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mOqwhbLUZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEpTbSMXxO0
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 08:18   Link #220
ZeKeR
Superbad

you know.... that prez is really something. i say that the guy is too lenient towards the girls here..... seriously.....

Tags
comedy, shounen