AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-07-17, 19:46   Link #6661
Madman6510
Child of Man

Desu is the Japanese verb "to be". It's English equivalent would be "is".

That's the polite form anyways. The casual form would just be "da" (だ).

Casual form example:
嘘だ!
uso da!
lie is!
That's a lie!

How do you figure out where the words end? Um, you get used to it I guess... original Roman Latin didn't use spaces either XD Although it gets a lot easier to see where they end when you know the words in the sentence.

You're welcome for the gratuitous Higurashi references, by the way.
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 10:20   Link #6662
kittylyoko

Kanji and kana show where words end.
In all hiragana and katakana text theres spaces.
But in text with kanji they used the kanji for main words and the beginning of verbs and kana for particuls and verb endings.
At least most the stuff I`ve seen does that.
Old 2011-07-18, 12:27   Link #6663
Oblivion

Is there a proper patch for Tsubasa out? And is Witch Hunt ever going to fully translate some of the stories?

Last edited by Oblivion; 2011-07-18 at 13:49.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 13:32   Link #6664
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnoponno View Post
I noticed with your Japanese writings there are no spaces, how does one determine where the words end?
You get used to it after a while. In the end it's like any other language, sometimes you just recognize the words and most of the time sentences are ordered quite clearly. Most of the time Japanese appears much more structured to me than my own mother tongue (German).
Where it get's really difficult is when you read older texts (or novels that are adapting that style). You wrote without any sentence structuring punctuation in those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylyoko View Post
Kanji and kana show where words end.
In all hiragana and katakana text theres spaces.
But in text with kanji they used the kanji for main words and the beginning of verbs and kana for particuls and verb endings.
At least most the stuff I`ve seen does that.
Well, those things can vary...there are instances where this can be used for literary purposes. Like writing a text in all Kana to make it appear like a mess and make readers confuse one word for another.
I think there were some instances where that was done in Umineko as well. Well at least the epitaph was one huge game of wordplay.

I know doing translations is a bitch. Most of the time the stuff I release online (like the interview with Ryűkishi) is not proofread at all and done in quite a hurry. At least for me it's always problematic when I have to think in two languages at once and this is where mistakes come up...so proofreading something often is necessary if you release it even semi-officially like WH is doing it.
It becomes even more difficult if the language you're translating to is not your native language...that's when I translate into English, so I have to think around 2 corners.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-18, 20:40   Link #6665
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion0101 View Post
Is there a proper patch for Tsubasa out? And is Witch Hunt ever going to fully translate some of the stories?
The only patch I'm aware of is the one UnknownBeast put together. Witch Hunt are currently focusing on getting the Episode 8 translation done, so they're not going to comment on whether they'll be doing any more translation until after that's released. I do hope a proper translation becomes available, though. Plus, I hope Hobibox will release a download version, too.
Yirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 01:35   Link #6666
cereal_killerxx

Just curious, but does anybody have a good guess on how long the episode 8 translation will take to finish?

I mean, I'm only barely on episode 2 but I was just curious.
cereal_killerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 01:42   Link #6667
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal_killerxx View Post
Just curious, but does anybody have a good guess on how long the episode 8 translation will take to finish?

I mean, I'm only barely on episode 2 but I was just curious.
Hopefully around early to mid August, usually right before Summer Comiket... But no one except witch-hunt could accurately say right now.
Old 2011-07-19, 02:24   Link #6668
Madman6510
Child of Man

The main translator is busier with work than he was before, plus EP8 has some interesting technical issues that they haven't had before (choices, yay!). I expect it to take a bit longer than the previous episodes.
Madman6510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 13:27   Link #6669
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman6510 View Post
The main translator is busier with work than he was before, plus EP8 has some interesting technical issues that they haven't had before (choices, yay!). I expect it to take a bit longer than the previous episodes.
This differs from game to game, but choices generally aren't a huge issue when it comes to translation. Since there is no change in the scripting language and (seemingly) no change in how the script is interpreted, it's mostly a case of string replacement. In other words, any output text is translated, leaving syntax more-or-less intact (in reality, the line in Japanese is commented out and the line in English is inserted underneath).

Of course, there are other factors such as image editing and the in-game grimoires which had to be implemented. Generally speaking, however, what techniques are used does not affect the translation. In fact, it's perfectly feasible for someone to translate a game without understanding any of the code. They just need to find any occurrences of Japanese text and replace it with an English translation.

That said, I'm only speaking generally, so things may be different depending on the game and how it is being translated.

(Obviously any 'optional' text would mean that the amount of text that needs to be translated is greater than the amount of text seen in a single playthrough.)

</mindlessBlabber>
Yirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 15:09   Link #6670
Oblivion

Didn't the choices already get translated. Or is there more after the quiz game and Bern's game?
Old 2011-07-19, 15:15   Link #6671
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Those choices are referenced in the form of altered text near the end.
Old 2011-07-20, 01:06   Link #6672
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Via here, some info about upcoming Umineko releases from Alchemist:

10/20: Umineko no Naku Koro ni Portable 1 (PSP)
11/17: Umineko no Naku Koro ni Portable 2 (PSP)
Winter: Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru (PS3)

The info was apparently gathered from magazines, but I don't know how accurate it is, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 2011-07-20, 02:10   Link #6673
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
I think I speak for everyone when I say this.

FFFFFFFFFFYYYYYYYYYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 2011-07-20, 02:59   Link #6674
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist

Aweeessoommee news!! (If reliable) I can't even begin to think of all the VA's for the new characters!

And perhaps the release on the PSP could further increase our chances for this to be localized!~
Old 2011-07-20, 10:13   Link #6675
Oblivion

It is kind of redundant. Even though she's so similar to Bern, I can't really see Yukari voicng Erika. Erika's too annoying of a character for her voice anyways.
Old 2011-07-20, 10:39   Link #6676
Witch of Trolling

Please tell me this information is true. If it's not, then a piece of my soul will die.

And by winter, do they mean this upcoming one or winter of 2012? For the love of god, tell me it's the former.
Witch of Trolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 11:18   Link #6677
GAtakito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch of Trolling View Post
And by winter, do they mean this upcoming one or winter of 2012? For the love of god, tell me it's the former.
According to the info which is passing around many japanese blogs, the ps3 chiru will be released this winter 2011.

There's no that much info, besides the name of this new game:

"うみねこのなく頃に散 ~真実と幻想の夜想曲~"
GAtakito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 11:34   Link #6678
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The sub title can be translated as "Nocturne of Truth and Illusion"
Old 2011-07-20, 11:46   Link #6679
Azule
Golden Witch

Send a message via AIM to Azule Send a message via MSN to Azule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Dream View Post
And perhaps the release on the PSP could further increase our chances for this to be localized!~
THIS. MOST CERTAINLY THIS.

People say that PSP is better than the PS3 for visual novels, so it shouldn't be localized? No excuse anymore.
Old 2011-07-20, 11:49   Link #6680
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I dunno if you realize this, but there is nearly to no VN licensed outside of Japan, regardless if it is for the PS3 or PSP.

The reason is that Sony America refuses to see VN as a game, so long they are only bunch of text without a gameplay. That's why, only "VN" like Hyperdimension Neptunia were brought on our side, while a sizeable amount of regular VN are next to inexistent in english.

Furthermore, not trying to burst people's bubble, but you have to consider the actual profit they can make with such a niche market. And to make things worse, Umineko is hardly as popular as Higurashi and both franchise are arguably not your most popular anime/manga related stories.
Considering how mediocre Rondo sales were, it is quite suicidal to try licensing it now. If some other circumstances are to be applied, it may be a different story.

Either way, let's keep this subject alive on the PS3 thread, translation thread has -nothing- to do with console ports.

Tags
translation