AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-09, 05:46   Link #1
Phillip Lober

Anime that has good dialogue?

Hey, I'm looking for Japanese/English Anime that has decent dialogue? I know it's a bit rare to come by, but if someone could find this, that would be great!

Here's my list so far of anime with good dialogue:

Fooly Cooly
Bokusatsu Tenshi no Dokuro-Chan.

Thank you.
Old 2010-08-09, 06:01   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Do you mind if it's not exactly comedy?

Cross Game - Fantastically written for it's and the character's ability to say and express just enough and not spoon feeding to the audience. It's magic comes from what the characters aren't saying and what characters purposely withhold. The series' use of silence and pauses are some of the best I've heard to date.

Tatami Galaxy - Majority of the spoken lines are from the lead character's interior monologue similar to stream of consciousness. His eloquent expressiveness as well as the supporting cast's dialogue with him are excellently written and impressively spoken (the lead character speaks really, really fast) and are able to greatly present the exploration into the mind of a college student who's actually far more brilliant than he gives himself credit for.
Old 2010-08-09, 06:06   Link #3
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Bakemonogatari is all about the dialogue. It is also a show you can come to love or hate rather quickly.
Old 2010-08-09, 06:36   Link #4
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Death Note has some seriously good dialogue.

There's also Katanagatari that should be recommended.
Old 2010-08-09, 06:55   Link #5
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would have to recommend:
Bakemonogatari
Katanagatari
Tatami Galaxy
Kara no Kyoukai
5 Centimeters Per Second
Old 2010-08-09, 12:43   Link #6
Phillip Lober

Sorry I realized "Anime with good dialogue" seems a bit harsh. Thank you for your suggestions so far, but here is a more elaborate list:

Characters do not state the obvious. ("It's the ____" "It's moving!" "I just blinked!")
Supporting characters do not have an annoying voice. (Eng/Jap)
Relatively good voice acting (Like Fooly Cooly)

And yes, I am relatively looking for comedy.

Does anybody also know a realistic anime? Like maybe one about WWII? (I am aware of GOTF).

Thanks! and I'll check out those suggestions!
Old 2010-08-09, 13:43   Link #7
Irkalla
I asked for this

Gankutsuou aka neo count of monte cristo for good dialogue, whatever you mean with that. It's not comedy tho, if you were looking for that.
Old 2010-08-09, 17:12   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd nominate Kure-nai both for its script and for its excellent performances all around.
Old 2010-08-11, 13:42   Link #9
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Arakawa Under the Bridge for great dialogue and hilarious comedy. It seems to fit your requirements perfectly.
Bakemonogatari is one of the best dialogue centered ones out there. SHAFT really excels at that.
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei for comedy
Seitokai no Ichizon for funny otaku-based comedy. Since they are the student council and it takes place in the same room all the time I guess it's more dailogue based, although it depends on whether you can pick up all the references or not.
Old 2010-08-11, 20:31   Link #10
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I second Kurenai. Very good life series with very intelligent/witty humour dialogue.

I'd also suggest:

Minami-ke - Comedy gold extracted from everyday life of three sisters made into extraordinary with their character chemistry. Also considered as one of the epitomes of :3

Azumanga Daioh - Came before Minami-ke and a cornerstone of the genre. Wacky, pun-loaded and always a laugh. Azumanga Daioh is a bit wackier, Minami-ke is a bit more mature/spicy.

Mushishi - Very down-to-earth series with some mystique added to a rustic setting. Focuses on various life scenarios and has Ginko to provide a lot of wisdom, heartbreak, heartwarming and humour with his dialogue.

Ergo Proxy - Very philosophical series on a totalitarian world on the verge of the apocalypse. Has many modern cultural references and very clever insights on modern life.

Paranoia Agent - Very black humour look at a series of attacks under investigation with a 'Did it really happen?' scenario. Satoshi Kon is the master of the psychological thriller and has plenty of brilliant dialogue.

Haibane Renmei - Series about purgatory. Very deep, rustic and dailogue-driven.

Serial Experiments Lain - The precursor to Haibane Renmei and the same director. Series from 1998 that very accurately predicted how the Internet would end up and the social consequences.

Beyond the Clouds - The Promised Place - Gorgeous movie by the master of young love/longing - Makoto Shinkai. The dialogue between these three friends is very touching.
Old 2010-08-13, 11:57   Link #11
Ayrennar

If you're willing to venture down Visual Novel Lane, Ever17 has some of the most high level conversational text about some really interesting modern concepts as well all VNer's agree having the best storyline ever.
Old 2010-08-15, 11:22   Link #12
Mithfalath
Elegiac Servant

Send a message via Yahoo to Mithfalath
Well for the romance types, there's always Byousoku 5 centimeters and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.